This topic is locked from further discussion.

Posted by Captain Cascader (1284 posts) - - Show Bio

The new system is almost as cool as these guys!
Hello Viners. The fine folks here at Whiskey Media have thrown together a new feature for you to play around with. Cue drum roll... The Quest System. 

Quests are essentially an achievement system for the site with an XP / Leveling component. A lot of them are based on actions you've come to enjoy such as starting your blog or posting on the boards, but a good portion of them are based on more goofy scavenger hunt tasks like finding a bunch of famous comic  personalities on the site. Pretty meta huh? Hopefully it should be fairly familiar to anyone who plays games but it's  also crazy weird because hell -- this is a freaking web site.

As you'd imagine we've adjusted some of the UI on the site to show off the new chrome. You'll notice there is now an XP bar across the bottom of the page and that we've moved a lot of your profile stuff down there as well. Crusty curmudgeons out there should note that if you think all this is a  little ridiculous and hey -- "you just come here for the videos" -- you're free to hide the XP bar and avoid quests altogether. Remember, this is Whiskey Media and we take pride in "not pissing off the Internet since 2007."

1. Quests are not retroactive. You'll need to initiate a new action to earn them, but in most cases it will tally up your previous work if you had any. So if you edit and save a previous list for example, you should earn that quest without having to create a new one. Wiki edits are the exception.
  2. The notifications for Javascript actions (like writing a comment) will only happen after you view a new page. We're working on better instant gratification, but for now know that some quests might lag behind a page-view or two.
  3. This is supposed to be fun! Please don't post spoilers on the forums. You're welcome to give people vague hints, but we'd like to try to not spoil things for everyone.

Now that you know the basics it's time for this tutorial to end! A good place to start is the Jean Grey page. We'll be adding new quests weekly into the system and expect a lot more different types of quests to be introduced shortly. We'll also be adding a passive XP system to things like forum posts, comments, wiki edits and the like but for right now we just wanted to take it easy and see how everything goes before concentrating too much on point values. As a lot of you know already, we didn't do such a great job with points the first time around with the wiki system, so we're gonna take our time trying to figure out the best way to take it on. We will retroactively award XP based on wiki submissions though once we make that switch so you old timers don't worry about losing your place on the leader boards.

Oh. One last thing. If you're wondering where all the goofy artwork came from, look no further than Giant Bomb's (CV's sister site) own Kat Smith (Turbo_Toaster) who's been having to make some regular silly out of the team's stupid clues and pun-based titles since way back in October.     
#1 Posted by geraldthesloth (33313 posts) - - Show Bio

OH MY GOD I'M ADDICTED!

#2 Posted by Darkchild (41015 posts) - - Show Bio

omg im addicted

#3 Posted by Ryonslaught (1247 posts) - - Show Bio
@Captain Cascader said:

The new system is almost as cool as these guys!

oh lord.......so my beloved Comicvine has now become Hi5? 
 I may have to ditch....
#4 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29510 posts) - - Show Bio

You do realize trolls are gonna spoil it, right? Oh, and I hate this thing. =P

#5 Posted by Erik (33329 posts) - - Show Bio

Seems pretty fun. 

#6 Posted by Sparda (15795 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm digging it, a lot! I love it over on Giantbomb, too, but apparently I'm just better with Comics. Much more eloquently put than I did, too. Artwork is pretty awesome too. Bravo, Turbo_Toaster!

#7 Posted by Erik (33329 posts) - - Show Bio

I love it! 

#8 Posted by sora_thekey (8179 posts) - - Show Bio

@geraldthesloth said:

"OH MY GOD I'M ADDICTED! "

Same here.. 

What about quest that require you to do things you've done already?

#9 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio

I assume this system will only retroactively affect points from post-1.0 (since everything else does) and therefore stuff from back then won't actually count?

#10 Posted by Darkchild (41015 posts) - - Show Bio

WOW addicted cant stop finding stuff

#11 Posted by Lady Tlieso (10198 posts) - - Show Bio

I love it! So much fun & it;s making think off all these old stories/characters that I havn;t considered in years.

#12 Posted by crazed_h3ro (1000 posts) - - Show Bio

This is actually an intristing Update I'm really liking it but it is very addicting,LOL.LV 5

#13 Posted by reaper2923 (2778 posts) - - Show Bio

Ehh I probably won't do too much questing

#14 Posted by Icarusflies (12505 posts) - - Show Bio

Comicvine, you have found yet another way to make sure I never leave.

#15 Posted by Red L.A.M.P. (2829 posts) - - Show Bio

You guys having fun?!   

Staff
#16 Posted by CATMANEXE (17052 posts) - - Show Bio

so what happens if i complete everything?
do i become The Guy?

#17 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29510 posts) - - Show Bio

.... um.... not really.... just the same stuff, with an annoying pop up every few seconds. I'm level 6 and I haven't even tried to be. Kinda pointless, unless I'm dying of boredom. Whatever. =P

#18 Posted by biggkeem89 (1421 posts) - - Show Bio

Thanks a lot. Now I'll never get anywork done...
#19 Posted by Erik (33329 posts) - - Show Bio
@Red L.A.M.P. said:
" You guys having fun?!    "
Absolutely! Be sure to add more by the time I finish all these quests. 
#20 Posted by Red L.A.M.P. (2829 posts) - - Show Bio
@erik said:
" @Red L.A.M.P. said:
Absolutely! Be sure to add more by the time I finish all these quests.  "
yeah this is gonna be alot of work for staff, hahah.  Now we gotta keep feeding the junkies.
Staff
#21 Posted by danhimself (22626 posts) - - Show Bio

I like it so far...it gives me something to do other than sit here waiting for something interesting to talk about and it's making me remember stuff about books I haven't read in a long time....having some trouble with some of them though

#22 Posted by LordAndrew (146 posts) - - Show Bio
@aztek the lost: Anything from before this feature launched doesn't count. So you'll have to do a lot of things over if you want to complete the quest for those things.

Well, time to check out the available quests and see if there's anything obvious in there for me to do.
#23 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio
@LordAndrew: but didn't CC say some things in the coming week(s) will be retroactively counted so us old curmudgeons won't be too pissed off
#24 Posted by LordAndrew (146 posts) - - Show Bio
@aztek the lost: I don't know. It doesn't seem to say that in the article, but maybe you know some stuff I don't. :)
#25 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio
@LordAndrew: nah, I'm completely in the dark which is the reason I for one join the hate, I don't like surprises (sue me)
#26 Posted by geraldthesloth (33313 posts) - - Show Bio
@Red L.A.M.P. said:
You made the site MORE addicting than it already is..considering I spend 13+hours a day here..here's for a big bad 17
#27 Posted by danhimself (22626 posts) - - Show Bio

I need one more dead X-man and one more bat gadget and I'm completely lost on them...can't figure them out

#28 Posted by iLLituracy (13537 posts) - - Show Bio

YES. LEVEL FIVE. FEEL IT.

#29 Posted by ASKwhy (282 posts) - - Show Bio

This is cool!  Level 7!

#30 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio
@danhimself said:
" I need one more dead X-man and one more bat gadget and I'm completely lost on them...can't figure them out "
yeah, what the heck could the last Bat-Gadget be, I be perplexed, I've gone to a few that aren't on the list but can't find the seventh
#31 Posted by haydenclaireheroes (9182 posts) - - Show Bio

i love it i am a level 2

#32 Posted by Erik (33329 posts) - - Show Bio

Lol. I am already stuck on one. 

#33 Posted by jlat89 (317 posts) - - Show Bio

great addition
addicted haha

#34 Posted by biggkeem89 (1421 posts) - - Show Bio

Lev. 7. Trying to find the dead x men and one last bat gadget. Any help?
#35 Posted by Kiara_Sullivan (30075 posts) - - Show Bio

Face Hugger? I think I've already connected my facebook to my account. But I cant check to see. How do I go about checking?
#36 Posted by inferiorego (26834 posts) - - Show Bio

WAIT?

How do you expect me to write articles when I have quests to complete!

COMICVIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNE!

Staff
#37 Posted by G'bandit (13689 posts) - - Show Bio

O____O!!!!!!!!!!!!

#38 Posted by ASKwhy (282 posts) - - Show Bio
@biggkeem89: can't spoil, so all i can say is bat objects...pretty self explanatory 

i need two more dead x-men
#39 Edited by mrrpm01 (199 posts) - - Show Bio

So loving these quest and feel free to checkout my costume creations for SDCC on my posts

#40 Posted by Erik (33329 posts) - - Show Bio

Now I have to write a blog?! Whatever about?

#41 Posted by jakob187 (998 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh crap.  First, Giant Bomb.  Now, ComicVine? 

Whiskey Media is going to ruin my life and swallow my soul!!!

#42 Edited by doordoor123 (3721 posts) - - Show Bio

Im confused. 
Mostly because i started to read what this was about and my attention spand wouldnt let me read past the first half.
Can you explain this without so many words please...for me? =)

#43 Posted by ThanosIsMad (2224 posts) - - Show Bio

This black bar is really, really, really, really, really annoying.  Get rid of it.

#44 Posted by Lady Nightmare (9103 posts) - - Show Bio
#45 Posted by ASKwhy (282 posts) - - Show Bio
@ThanosIsMad: hit the X button
#46 Posted by Lady Tlieso (10198 posts) - - Show Bio

this X-Men crossover list is making me insane. lol

#47 Posted by Lady Nightmare (9103 posts) - - Show Bio

This forum should be anchored if not already

#48 Posted by danhimself (22626 posts) - - Show Bio
@Lady Tlieso said:
" this X-Men crossover list is making me insane. lol "
lol I only need one more and I can't figure it out for the life of me
#49 Posted by ASKwhy (282 posts) - - Show Bio
@danhimself: alot of crossovers I thought would be on the list arent there  :(  haha
#50 Posted by danhimself (22626 posts) - - Show Bio
@ASKwhy said:
" @danhimself: alot of crossovers I thought would be on the list arent there  :(  haha "
I know!!! like why isn't AoA on the list???