• 69 results
achilles100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By achilles100

Okay, now she's officially out of Worlds' Finest, and into the World's End weekly. But that has a finite life. Where to after it ends for Power Girl, assuming she survives the process, (and it seems she does)?

She'll need another book. I don't see them giving her her own solo title back, though her last solo didn't do do badly, all things considered, especially when compared to Supergirl, who DC seems committed to. That leaves a team book. Which one?

Earth 2 may or may not still be around both as a world and as a title. JSA doesn't seem likely to make an appearance, based on prior comments. That leave a League title, or possibly something else. I wouldn't put her in the same title with Supergirl, that might be fun for a few issues, but after that it might get grating. The big team? A new version of Stormwatch? Suicide Squad? BOP?

In many ways, it'd seem that she'd overwhelm the last two titles. IMO of course, her own new solo would be the way to go, along with a team title. A new JSA would be perfect, but, as I said, prior DC comments from Robinson indicating the mindset of DC itself would seem to preclude that. In that event, I'd favor the big team, the main Justice League.

What say you all?

kidstandout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

justice league, united or give her a solo with conner/palmiotti.

/thread

achilles100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

/thread

I'd avoid Palmiotti/Gray/Connor/Mounts like the plague. Their run was fun enough, but it was what was really responsible for destroying her series. Sales during their 12 issues where basically nothing of consequence happened went from pretty good to almost cancellation levels.

For a solo, I'd go with a name writer who can draw readers, but NOT Johns, who's already mentioned he didn't really like or understand the character, and whose writing of her in most cases underscores that.

As for JL United, isn't that the one with Supergirl already on it? I wouldn't want the two on the same team because I can see PG constantly jobbing to SG. That's just mostly the way DC rolls with those two.

kidstandout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By kidstandout

@kidstandout said:

/thread

I'd avoid Palmiotti/Gray/Connor/Mounts like the plague. Their run was fun enough, but it was what was really responsible for destroying her series. Sales during their 12 issues where basically nothing of consequence happened went from pretty good to almost cancellation levels.

For a solo, I'd go with a name writer who can draw readers, but NOT Johns, who's already mentioned he didn't really like or understand the character, and whose writing of her in most cases underscores that.

As for JL United, isn't that the one with Supergirl already on it? I wouldn't want the two on the same team because I can see PG constantly jobbing to SG. That's just mostly the way DC rolls with those two.

i'm sorry but based on the harley quinn cameo, i simply don't agree. their run on pg was about redefining her as a character which to all points it succeeded. and when judd winick(around the time he was writing that god awful jason mini) gets announced as the next writer just when the book was picking up some real story beats, there is bound to be a big drop off that kills the momentum peeg was building.

right now, the palmiotti/conner team has established themselves as capable writers who can draw readers in ala harley quinn, but what's more important is that they have the strongest grasp on what Peeg should be. think of how much momentum peeg would have with a solo being announced with them attached after a strong showing in worlds end. they'd have new story beats to play with(val,lois,e2 clark being dead,her getting a shield to cover up the window in honor of him) and reintroduce familiar story beats(terra, starr enterprises again, her being comfortable with her sex appeal without being a total slut ala levitz)

achilles100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@achilles100 said:

@kidstandout said:

/thread

i'm sorry but based on the harley quinn cameo, i simply don't agree. their run on pg was about redefining her as a character which to all points it succeeded. and when judd winick(around the time he was writing that god awful jason mini) gets announced as the next writer just when the book was picking up some real story beats, there is bound to be a big drop off that kills the momentum peeg was building.

right now, the palmiotti/conner team has established themselves as capable writers who can draw readers in ala harley quinn, but what's more important is that they have the strongest grasp on what Peeg should be. think of how much momentum peeg would have with a solo being announced with them attached after a strong showing in worlds end. they'd have new story beats to play with(val,lois,e2 clark being dead,her getting a shield to cover up the window in honor of him) and reintroduce familiar story beats(terra, starr enterprises again, her being comfortable with her sex appeal without being a total slut ala levitz)

Well, if you look at what they did, it was fun, but nothing groundbreaking. PG has been used as a comedic character before---what they did mainly was what any decent writer would have done---focus on her. Which was really the first time ever that a comic book could, (aside from the 1988 mini, of which the less said the better). But in 12 issues, they didn't actually DO anything. We had one supporting case member of note, Atlee---all the others were ciphers. We had no real rogue's gallery, save for comedic and rather lame types. It just really wasn't a superhero comic book. It didn't go all out Deadpool, the lighter Spider-man books still had more significant superheroics, and it failed to hit the bwa-ha-ha League stuff she was also noted for.

And if you look at the actual sales figures, almost all the drop happened during their run. Winick in fact managed a slight upturn toward the end of his run, and he was handicaped by his tie-in with the Max Lord mess.

For my money, writers who've shown they can write PG in such a way as to make her less of a joke:

Gail Simone, Robinson, Trautmann, Conway of course, Ostander, Busiek, Waid, Marz, and others.

kidstandout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kidstandout said:

@achilles100 said:

@kidstandout said:

/thread

Well, if you look at what they did, it was fun, but nothing groundbreaking. PG has been used as a comedic character before---what they did mainly was what any decent writer would have done---focus on her. Which was really the first time ever that a comic book could, (aside from the 1988 mini, of which the less said the better). But in 12 issues, they didn't actually DO anything. We had one supporting case member of note, Atlee---all the others were ciphers. We had no real rogue's gallery, save for comedic and rather lame types. It just really wasn't a superhero comic book. It didn't go all out Deadpool, the lighter Spider-man books still had more significant superheroics, and it failed to hit the bwa-ha-ha League stuff she was also noted for.

And if you look at the actual sales figures, almost all the drop happened during their run. Winick in fact managed a slight upturn toward the end of his run, and he was handicaped by his tie-in with the Max Lord mess.

For my money, writers who've shown they can write PG in such a way as to make her less of a joke:

Gail Simone, Robinson, Trautmann, Conway of course, Ostander, Busiek, Waid, Marz, and others.

fair enough on the first two paragraphs

i'm sorry, what!? gail simone? no just no okay. i don't need pg being warped into a pc, overly dramatic preacher. that was the same bs writer that tried to pitch cassandra cain as a cathlolic, as well as a known perpatrator of the "Wonder woman is bi" stereotype. people say gail can write a fun batgirl but wasn't allowed to do so in her new 52 run because of editorial. while that is true to a certain extent, her wonder woman run tells me editorial wasn't the only problem. don't believe me, see the sensation comics #1 and 2 that came out a month ago.

robinson had good ideas(e2) but his pacing leaves more to be desired. his marvel work doesn't hold up to e2 as well

i'd agree with waid but i don't see him coming back to dc for anyone other than superman if even at all

right now if i had to pick from dc's current crop, i'd say seeley(grayson is amazing, exactly the type of book peeg needs), jeff parker(his mera is just as good as john's), brian azzerello(now there's a writer who can write a compelling ww, his work shits on simones) or grant morrison(no explanation necessary)

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait what happened to her in worlds finest

achilles100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kidstandout: As far as Simone goes, I'm basing that on the time she actually wrote Power Girl, in Wonder Woman, and very unexpectedly didn't have PG job to WW, but instead had her gain WW's respect and give her a very good fight.

What's that guy who used to write REBELS just before the reboot? He'd be great I think. The right amount of snark, characterization, plus action for the job.

kidstandout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kidstandout: As far as Simone goes, I'm basing that on the time she actually wrote Power Girl, in Wonder Woman, and very unexpectedly didn't have PG job to WW, but instead had her gain WW's respect and give her a very good fight.

What's that guy who used to write REBELS just before the reboot? He'd be great I think. The right amount of snark, characterization, plus action for the job.

tony bedard?

achilles100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

kidstandout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the last 2 issues of supergirl he did were pretty decent so i'd give him a chance.

achilles100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thing is, the more I think about Convergence, the more I think that Didio and Johns will use the opportunity to kill off Power Girl in favor of Supergirl, who they obviously like better by virtue of the "Super" name. Since she gets all the series and ink and even the TV show. Johns is on record as saying he doesn't like or understand PG, and Didio...well, he just likes to kill off characters. He apparently thinks that's the thing that makes a compelling story. And probably also wants to eliminate any confusion with SG. Witness the minor effort at branding PG by adding the "S" shield to her costume in World's End. Actually, I think it might have been better for the character, considering the opinions of TPTB at DC if when the reboot had happened, PG had been reworked as the SISTER of Superman, Kara Jor-El, on the main nu 52 Earth, an older sister who happened to be off-world for some reason. TPTB would probably have seen that as conflicting less with SG and as being less confusing to readers, (though I don't know of any comic book readers who find this confusing personally).

I'm hoping the "S" indicates they plan on keeping PG...at least one version of her, preferably the preboot version, but I fear the worst. This is after all DC.

kidstandout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By kidstandout

Thing is, the more I think about Convergence, the more I think that Didio and Johns will use the opportunity to kill off Power Girl in favor of Supergirl, who they obviously like better by virtue of the "Super" name. Since she gets all the series and ink and even the TV show. Johns is on record as saying he doesn't like or understand PG, and Didio...well, he just likes to kill off characters. He apparently thinks that's the thing that makes a compelling story. And probably also wants to eliminate any confusion with SG. Witness the minor effort at branding PG by adding the "S" shield to her costume in World's End. Actually, I think it might have been better for the character, considering the opinions of TPTB at DC if when the reboot had happened, PG had been reworked as the SISTER of Superman, Kara Jor-El, on the main nu 52 Earth, an older sister who happened to be off-world for some reason. TPTB would probably have seen that as conflicting less with SG and as being less confusing to readers, (though I don't know of any comic book readers who find this confusing personally).

I'm hoping the "S" indicates they plan on keeping PG...at least one version of her, preferably the preboot version, but I fear the worst. This is after all DC.

convergence is non con, no new 52 characters involved. it's basically filler until the july event. and i wouldn't be surprised if pg has a cameo in the supergirl show.

i always said doing this or making pg and sg sisters was the right way to go lol

i actually think the shield is the worst possible thing they could do to her costume. it completely goes against what pg is about. the reason she didn't take the shield is because she didn't want to be in clark's shadow. if they had to cover the window with something, give her something original, not something that further reinforces her being just a another supergirl.

bjchit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You don't think UltraHumanite was a menacing threat? Also those sales figures you mention aren't really that truthful.

achilles100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bjchit said:

You don't think UltraHumanite was a menacing threat? Also those sales figures you mention aren't really that truthful.

Not really. She fought a rather pathetic UH, SG gets the likes of Doomsday and others. The sales figures are accurate. The Palmiotti/Gray/Connor run ended in the low 20,000s/high teens. After starting close to 50,000.

kidstandout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By kidstandout

[img]http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/ignore_jpg_scale_super/3/39001/4253290-ac.jpg[/img]

this is what new 52 should have redesigned her as. wont be surprised if this look stays, it solves the window problem(well it's not a problem too me, but she's got to be taken more seriously) without betraying the core of the character(el symbol)

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

If she wants me to respect her as a character, she should get a damn rogues gallery

achilles100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

[img]http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/ignore_jpg_scale_super/3/39001/4253290-ac.jpg[/img]

this is what new 52 should have redesigned her as. wont be surprised if this look stays, it solves the window problem(well it's not a problem too me, but she's got to be taken more seriously) without betraying the core of the character(el symbol)

Well, nice classic design and all, but it does seem that apart from that, they may be going with the "El" symbol, or maybe its the "L" version, it was hard to see. I don't see that as a betrayal of the core of the character, so long as in her continuity it is simply the symbol of her House. I can see a PG not caring what other people think it is, and just wearing it out of custom, or to honor her parents.

How she's been largely written as of late, however, IS a betrayal of the character.

kidstandout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If she wants me to respect her as a character, she should get a damn rogues gallery

that too

kidstandout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kidstandout said:

Well, nice classic design and all, but it does seem that apart from that, they may be going with the "El" symbol, or maybe its the "L" version, it was hard to see. I don't see that as a betrayal of the core of the character, so long as in her continuity it is simply the symbol of her House. I can see a PG not caring what other people think it is, and just wearing it out of custom, or to honor her parents.

How she's been largely written as of late, however, IS a betrayal of the character.

agree to disagree, she's not going to get anywhere so long as people see her as just another supergirl, even if the continuity reason is it's her family symbol. in fact it furthers reinforces it. the whole point of kara being powergirl is she's her own hero. giving her the symbol reverts her back to being e2 supergirl, especially with val jobing her of the mantle(this coming from a guy who loves that ship). thats a step backwards as far growing a character. you might as well give her a supergirl costume.

as for how she's being written currently, if we're talking when she was under levitz pen then no argument. under taylor's pen? hell to the no.

PowerGirlFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By PowerGirlFan

@kidstandout said:

@achilles100 said:

agree to disagree, she's not going to get anywhere so long as people see her as just another supergirl, even if the continuity reason is it's her family symbol. in fact it furthers reinforces it. the whole point of kara being powergirl is she's her own hero. giving her the symbol reverts her back to being e2 supergirl, especially with val jobing her of the mantle(this coming from a guy who loves that ship). thats a step backwards as far growing a character. you might as well give her a supergirl costume.

Agreed. There are so many Superman, Superboy and Supergirl variants and alternatives that if an "S" were slapped on PG's chest, for whatever reason, she would become just another "Supergirl" clone and cease to stand on her own merits as a character. How would that make her sell better? Do people want to buy two different "Supergirl" titles a month, plus however many Superman and Superboy titles are out now?

It was a mistake making the New 52 Power Girl E2's Supergirl. She should have just been Power Girl, the E2 version of Supergirl. It made PG into just another Supergirl, with her name changed and a few years older. One of the things I liked about pre-52 PG was that she was a different Kryptonian character to Superman.

achilles100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kidstandout said:

@achilles100 said:

Agreed. There are so many Superman, Superboy and Supergirl variants and alternatives that if an "S" were slapped on PG's chest, for whatever reason, she would become just another "Supergirl" clone and cease to stand on her own merits as a character. How would that make her sell better? Do people want to buy two different "Supergirl" titles a month, plus however many Superman and Superboy titles are out now?

It was a mistake making the New 52 Power Girl E2's Supergirl. She should have just been Power Girl, the E2 version of Supergirl. It made PG into just another Supergirl, with her name changed and a few years older. One of the things I liked about pre-52 PG was that she was a different Kryptonian character to Superman.

That's just a visual, a branding moment that let's people generically know who she is. What sets a character apart is the WRITING, the depiction of the character of the character with all her quirks. A good example was original PG vs SG of the time. One was angry, chip on the shoulder, but not nuts. Smart, and knew it. Confident, but sometimes overconfident. Loved her cousin, but was more than willing to go against him if she felt she was right. Or really against anyone. SG OTOH was sort of bland, followed her cousin, (the one who dumped her into an orphanage), and came across as nice, but not too much of substance there.

At the time, given the conditions of the time, and the exact specifics of the character, it made sense for PG to pulp the "P" logo SSK gave her. But...over the years, she evolved, grew up, grew more mature, less angry, had less of a chip on her shoulder, and in general just wouldn't react that way these days.

But..the were and ARE using a "P" logo to denote her thoughts. They tried using one on her awful initial nu52 costume---it didn't work because it just looked horrible...and didn't add anything to her branding that would allow non comic book readers to get who she is.

IMO, the solution is to give her the old fashioned "S", like her cousin, but make it blue. This has a precedent in the real world of heraldry, where a son might use a slightly different version of the same coat of arms his father uses, as perhaps a different color on part or all of the device. So too might a PG who is wanting people to think of her in her own terms rather than refer to her in terms of her cousin. Or one who is simply following a standard Krypton-2 procedure. That would instantly set her apart from SM, SG, and SB.

Her age should also set her apart from SG, PG should be in her early to mid 20s, while SG should be a teen. Which is not the case in the SG TV show, another reason I think PG might be on the chopping block, (SG is 24 there).

All in all, I think they missed a bigger chance to distinguish her in the reboot. They could have simply made PG an Earth 1 character, Superman's older sister, caught in suspended animation like before, with SG as his younger cousin. Or even made PG not only his older sister, but a young protege of Zod and Faora, a military type who broke with them and fought them. That would make her even more distinctive, in history, mindset, and skillset. It also would have the virtue of simplicity.

BTW, the character destroying writing I was referring to was the WF series under Levitz. I haven't yet seen enough of her in the E2 banner stuff to judge, though Taylor obviously isn't writing her for very long, a few issues at most.

kidstandout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

what people see first is the visuals, if she looks like just another supergirl, they're not going to care enough to actually read the character and see what makes her different. we don't need more hurdles for pg to gain momentum.

even if you give her a blue s symbol, it furthers the visual comparisons to the point of making her part of a match set. it's like if nightwing were to have a robin symbol instead of the blue bird. why move backwards for a character whose at the stage of moving forward?

they really should have made her an e1 character one way or another

i figured you were referring to levitz. the little taylor has done with pg in e2/we has been great. she doesnt take thomas' shit and loves her mom lois as well as val and hel.

PowerGirlFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By PowerGirlFan

@achilles100

I don't see why she has to be "branded" at all and this branding is exactly what I think will make her generic, i.e., another Superman spin-off. As you said, it's the writing makes the character; and this is a reason why she should not need to be identified as a "Super" in order for her to sell (and I don't see how it would).

Let's be honest: The "S" originally stood for "Superman", "Superboy" and "Supergirl", before it became a "house symbol", which to my knowledge started in the first Superman movie. For this reason, I think giving it to PG is a bit contrived, especially since the real reason for doing it would be to brand her as a "Super" rather than just to include her in the family. Most people identify the "S" primarily with Superman, not his family. Aren't we talking about giving PG a "P" symbol to similarly denote her name?

Giving PG an "S" with a different color won't put much distance between them in this regard. For this reason, I wish they had made PG (in New-52) no relation to Superman. I think she works better as a separate Kryptonian character her own distinctive costume. I don't think she needs a symbol at all, either a "P" or an "S". If she has a distinctive costume, we don't need a letter on it to remind us of what her name is. Not all superhero characters have letters or symbols on their costumes.

Did you say that they gave her a "P" symbol somewhere in the pre-52 period? I don't recall that ever happening. Instead of using a "P" to denote her thought boxes, they should use her gold broach/chain in some combination with her costume colors. But please not the boob window.

The New-52 PG had improved, but I still find her persona somewhat obnoxious and bland.

achilles100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By achilles100

@powergirlfan said:

@achilles100

I don't see why she has to be "branded" at all and this branding is exactly what I think will make her generic, i.e., another Superman spin-off. As you said, it's the writing makes the character; and this is a reason why she should not need to be identified as a "Super" in order for her to sell (and I don't see how it would).

Let's be honest: The "S" originally stood for "Superman", "Superboy" and "Supergirl", before it became a "house symbol", which to my knowledge started in the first Superman movie. For this reason, I think giving it to PG is a bit contrived, especially since the real reason for doing it would be to brand her as a "Super" rather than just to include her in the family. Most people identify the "S" primarily with Superman, not his family. Aren't we talking about giving PG a "P" symbol to similarly denote her name?

Giving PG an "S" with a different color won't put much distance between them in this regard. For this reason, I wish they had made PG (in New-52) no relation to Superman. I think she works better as a separate Kryptonian character her own distinctive costume. I don't think she needs a symbol at all, either a "P" or an "S". If she has a distinctive costume, we don't need a letter on it to remind us of what her name is. Not all superhero characters have letters or symbols on their costumes.

Did you say that they gave her a "P" symbol somewhere in the pre-52 period? I don't recall that ever happening. Instead of using a "P" to denote her thought boxes, they should use her gold broach/chain in some combination with her costume colors. But please not the boob window.

The New-52 PG had improved, but I still find her persona somewhat obnoxious and bland.

The reason to do that is for the character to survive and become more important. The sad fact is that being part of the Super, Bat, GL, or Flash Families tends to get a character more ink, and greater popularity. It certainly seems to have an effect on the minds of DC management. The "S" is a hook to get people to read. Let's face it, a lot of PG fans claim to have liked the P/G/ and C run of Power Girl, yet relatively few read it, even in the beginning. Compare that to sales however of the Johns penned mini, also with Connor. Twice the sales initially, and it retained sales far better. The difference? Not the writing, Johns' stuff was decidedly inferior. It was his name on the book. Those things, and things like logos matter. PG hasn't had a logo, save for the few times she's worn the "S". Her thought boxes have either been unmarked, leaving the reader to guess who was thinking, of marked with the button of her cape of all things, and then that abomination of a "P".

The "P" symbol was used only in the nu52, though in pre COIE there's an issue of All-Star Comics, (basically JSA), where SSL gives her a "P" symbol made out of some sort of metal, which she promptly crushes to bits, calling him IIRC a "male chauvinist piglet" for suggesting she needs a symbol.

Not something, you'd have to admit, that the PG of today would either say or do, (it was intended as a gesture of friendship). As for making her an unrelated Kryptonian, that would be worse than she is now. When she has NO connection to Superman, aside from happening to be the same species, far fewer people would be that invested in her. It's not really fair, so to speak, but that's the way it is. Put a blue "S" on her, and she could slide into an episode of The Flash or Arrow, or be the missing person from the pod in the Kryptonian scout ship in MoS. You wouldn't have to spend half an episode or movie telling people who she is, and could just get around to immediately establishing just how different she is from Superman, or even Supergirl.

As for the house symbol thing, yeah it probably originated with the Superman the movie. And now that's how most people view it; sure it represents Superman, but it also represented his father Jor-El, who also had nothing to do with the letter "S", or anything resembling the name "Super".

The sorry thing is, without an "S", Power Girl is forever going to be relegated to second or third string status, unable to score even and animated appearance apart from one minor part. This is both in the minds of the public, and in the minds of TPTB at DC.

Interestingly, I think the best and most interesting depiction of PG in the nu52 actually did come from Levitz, in that special issue of WF where for the first half, she's basically Batmanning her way onto Cadmus Island, and batting around everyone in her way, including a very surprised Deathstroke. Then comes the second half, and Levitz reverts to form with Didio's fav new character "Fifty Sue", batting around a PG who won't even fight back. Sigh.

Recall BTW another reason to put the "S" on PG---DC went and created ANOTHER PG, even going so far as to have the "real" PG give her the legal rights to the name. And that PG looks to at least have a stable book, and be a character DC is betting on. I wouldn't be too surprised if DC renames PG in the future, assuming they don't kill her off, or kill of new nuPG.

kidstandout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

^ if it means getting her more exposure, then fine throw a s symbol over the window. but when people start to wonder whats the point in having two supergirls, don't say i didn't warn you....

what needs to happen after worlds end when karren eventually moves back to earth 1 is

a. she needs a solo, duo or team book.

b. she needs a convincing rogue gallery

c. she needs more crossover action

d she needs to show up in line wide events(especially ones with superman)

do this and it's guaranteed to elevate her platform

PowerGirlFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By PowerGirlFan

@achilles100

Perhaps I am placing too much importance on PG's costume/symbol (or absence of) in relation to her individuality as a character. Under the circumstances, it is logical for her to display an "S" on her costume. She is related to Superman and the "S" now stands for the house of El. When PG was created, the "S" stood for "Super" (man, boy, girl). And, as you say, the reality is that characters sell better and get better support from the editors if they identify with the big superhero families.

I don't think it would improve her costume design, however. The basic red/white/blue/gold color scheme works with the classic design. Slapping a blue "S" right in the middle might disturb the visual impact. Then again, the classic design hasn't done much for her popularity up to now anyway, not that the costume is the first thing I'd blame. So perhaps marketing should come before style.

LOL yes I know the Star-Spangled Kid scene. The "P" symbol died right there until the New 52. PG thought just having her own letter symbol made her a Superman clone. Imagine how she would have reacted if SSK had made an "S" symbol for her.

I didn't know the new E1 PG had her own book already. What is the title? "Power Girl"? I haven't seen that title on the stands.

achilles100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

^ if it means getting her more exposure, then fine throw a s symbol over the window. but when people start to wonder whats the point in having two supergirls, don't say i didn't warn you....

what needs to happen after worlds end when karren eventually moves back to earth 1 is

a. she needs a solo, duo or team book.

b. she needs a convincing rogue gallery

c. she needs more crossover action

d she needs to show up in line wide events(especially ones with superman)

do this and it's guaranteed to elevate her platform

People have always said that as long as the two coexisted at the same time. And...there's now two Power Girls, though I'm still trying to figure out if they killed the "real" PG off already in that Future's End issue...sure seemed that way, the one where Barda seems to kill her after she's already been cyborgized by Brother Eye. Very much the way DC likes to do these things, as brutally as possible.

I think if that's not the case, and she does in fact survive, which looks doubtful at best to me at the moment, yeah, then she needs a solo. Her not getting one in the nu52 was yet another sign that the DC brass don't like her. At this point, I don't think another team-up with Huntress will help much, so I don't think a duo book should happen. Definitely a team book, one of the Justice League titles, probably the main one since SG is on the only other good fit. And since DC has confirmed a while back that JSA just isn't going to happen.

Yep, rogue's gallery. A top problem, an one associated with her finding a niche. What sort of rogues should she have?

Crossover action is a must for her to succeed, and one reason why her solo title failed. But at that time several Superman Family crossovers were running that she wasn't in, crossovers that also offered her rogue possibilities, niche possibilities....

Her not being definitively established as part of the Superman Family just seems to hurt her with all those things in the minds of the DC brass.

I might add one other thing---she badly needs to appear in other media, but it seems set up that she won't. The animated DVD platform now just endlessly repeats the same dozen or so characters of which she isn't part. Series animation seems mostly dead, and in any event they missed every chance to have her there. Live action TV seems almost completely dead now to her now that they've decided to put up a Supergirl TV show on CBS, and have even hinted at crossing networks to bind the show with Arrow and The Flash. And since they've decided to make Supergirl Power Girl's age, around the mid-twenties, instead of a teen. Personally, I think she would have been a better fit than SG on TV, and especially with The Flash, but it won't happen.

And they've already announced the film slate, with nothing she'd even potentially show up in even as a bit part, much less the full-on movie she needs, (and the likes of Cyborg is getting).

So basically IMO DC and WB have already tipped their hands with respect toward Power Girl, even assuming that death scene in FE wasn't actually a death scene. There will be a Power Girl with no connection to Krypton, the black PG who will appear in TT, and the "original" will be dead.

kidstandout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

^well keep in mind that futures end is non canon, no way is it going to happen when big names like deathstroke and batman are either dead or crippled.

johns actually has been hinting at another jsa book, so i wouldn't rule it out. they could easily use the e2 characters to form the jsa

giving her a show instead of supergirl just isn't in the cards since she's lacking on exposure. i expect the show to have some nods to pg and with sg being her age, they probably want to play her off as a pseudo pg. 5 bucks says she meets up with queen consolidated via starr enterprises.

as for movies, the same thing will most likely happen in that e1 supergirl will become pg after showing up in the mos sequels. lets face it, no way is wb going to take the risk of confusing the audiences with alternate earths until they can get their main universes feet off the ground. as for the lack of animation, not their fault. cartoon network and wb have fucked them over too many times in the past that on that front. best we can hope for is that world gets a animated film when e2 goes down

achilles100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

^well keep in mind that futures end is non canon, no way is it going to happen when big names like deathstroke and batman are either dead or crippled.

johns actually has been hinting at another jsa book, so i wouldn't rule it out. they could easily use the e2 characters to form the jsa

giving her a show instead of supergirl just isn't in the cards since she's lacking on exposure. i expect the show to have some nods to pg and with sg being her age, they probably want to play her off as a pseudo pg. 5 bucks says she meets up with queen consolidated via starr enterprises.

as for movies, the same thing will most likely happen in that e1 supergirl will become pg after showing up in the mos sequels. lets face it, no way is wb going to take the risk of confusing the audiences with alternate earths until they can get their main universes feet off the ground. as for the lack of animation, not their fault. cartoon network and wb have fucked them over too many times in the past that on that front. best we can hope for is that world gets a animated film when e2 goes down

Johns has been talking up JSA? Hmm, hadn't heard that. Last I heard was Robinson a couple months back confirming very long after his E2 run ended that DC had told him that even the words behind JSA were almost verboten in the DC offices for some reason. He seemed very surprised by that.

Yeah, I wasn't expecting a PG TV live action show. Wasn't really expecting a SG show either, but I see how a company like WB would take her every time over PG. But I think instead of crossing networks like that with the SG show, it would be better to simply have PG as a guest on Arrow and Flash. They've already mentioned many of her friends in various team titles, what's so toxic about using her?

Or at least using her in the movies, since WB/DC seem to still have that weird bias against crossing TV and the movies, which should rule out SG. If it was me, I'd cross them like crazy, but it's Nelson, Johns, and the head of WB.

I do to an extent blame DC for the problems with their animated products. After all, Johns is CCO, and the nu52 seems to be what they're doing mostly right now in animation, (witness the Aquaman thing and Cyborg in the Justice League). Certainly Johns has enormous influence on the general direction of the production of the DVDs and which titles and stories and characters get DVDs.

A huge problem I have with DC's other media strategy in general, pursued through various outlets of WB, is the lack of attention to so many of their popular properties. JSA! They haven't appeared anywhere outside of a few episodes of Smallville, and then only in reduced form. No animated series, (whatever the problems with Cartoon Network they have other outlets, and could simply force the issue with CN if they really cared), not a single DVD, no movie even considered. LOSH! Smallville and an animated series, but that's it. No TT movie or live action show. JLI! It could be WB's version of GotG in the movies, yet WB chooses "Cyborg" or "Justice League Dark".

And of course, no room for PG anywhere in there. But then, even if FE doesn't stick, they don't seem to have had much of an idea what to do with her in any event. Not where to put her, what her general role is in the DCU, or how to distinguish her from SG, (never mind the look, what are they going to do in the writing to tell one Kara from the other, especially as increasingly they seem to be moving elements of SG's personality toward PG's area.

PowerGirlFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People have always said that as long as the two coexisted at the same time. And...there's now two Power Girls, though I'm still trying to figure out if they killed the "real" PG off already in that Future's End issue...sure seemed that way, the one where Barda seems to kill her after she's already been cyborgized by Brother Eye. Very much the way DC likes to do these things, as brutally as possible.

Which issues of Future's End has PG appeared in?

achilles100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By achilles100

@achilles100 said:

Honestly, I'm not the best person to ask, since she's appeared in a number of issues, but not in any systematic way. In fact, I asked the very same question myself a couple of weeks ago in another forum and didn't really get answered. At least five though IIRC. Including last week I think.

PowerGirlFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By PowerGirlFan

@achilles100 said:

@powergirlfan said:

@achilles100 said:

Honestly, I'm not the best person to ask, since she's appeared in a number of issues, but not in any systematic way. In fact, I asked the very same question myself a couple of weeks ago in another forum and didn't really get answered. At least five though IIRC. Including last week I think.

I found some back issues and flipped through them to look for PG appearances. The issues I saw were #'s 1 - 30 excluding #'s 0, 5, 6, 9-11 and 26. The numbers I found PG in are below. Some are just appearances in the background in one or a few panels and these are indicated by "b/g".

15 (b/g), 17 (b/g), 18 (2 panels), 19 (cover, 5 pages), 21 (cover b/g, 4 pages), 23 (cover b/g), 27 (one panel), 30 (6 pages)

There is an online issue-by-issue summary of #'s 0-19 at this Firestorm fan site:

http://firestormfan.com/2014/06/11/futures-end-00-03/

A panel from #9 shown there has PG in the background so possibly there is more of her in that issue.

PowerGirlFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By PowerGirlFan

LOL

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f
deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Like many characthers

-Characther Limbo

-Join a Team/Title (Earth 2 or some JL)

-Support Cast of another characther (Supergirl)

-Solo (Less likely)

kidstandout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

apparently she gets to fight darkseid http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=57726

this could build up her profile

bloggerboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I thought Johns wrote a good Power Girl in his JSA run, Karen even lead the JSA!

Here's my overall thoughts on (the inferior) New 52 Power Girl: http://www.comicvine.com/power-girl/4005-4915/forums/they-don-t-make-em-like-they-used-to-1461865/#8

achilles100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

apparently she gets to fight darkseid http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=57726

Well, interesting. But a lot goes into how she loses. And we KNOW she's going to lose. If not from simply logic and how DC's portrays her, than the next few solicits make that clear. If she gets a good, hard fight, then she'll be built up, especially is she almost wins. If it's just a beat down by Darkseid, then there isn't much good done.

achilles100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bloggerboy: Johns was a bit odd there. Sometimes he wrote her okay. Nothing special, but decent. Other times...he wrote her as a whiny, indecisive, self-doubting loser, who mostly cried when action was called for. All of which is the evil opposite of PG.

kidstandout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kidstandout said:

Well, interesting. But a lot goes into how she loses. And we KNOW she's going to lose. If not from simply logic and how DC's portrays her, than the next few solicits make that clear. If she gets a good, hard fight, then she'll be built up, especially is she almost wins. If it's just a beat down by Darkseid, then there isn't much good done.

betting on the former, because the latter just seems pointless. if we already know she'd lose whats the point in dedicating a single issue to her fighting darkseid 1v1? she has to get some good hits in atleast

achilles100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By achilles100

@kidstandout said:

@achilles100 said:

@kidstandout said:

betting on the former, because the latter just seems pointless. if we already know she'd lose whats the point in dedicating a single issue to her fighting darkseid 1v1? she has to get some good hits in atleast

Eh, it's been made clear that this story is all about Darkseid winning, about his being nearly unbeatable, while numerous lesser types have taken PG down, or nearly so. And this story has SHOWN plenty of heroes get beat-downs from the forces of Darkseid.

Hell, PG was mind controlled by a FURY, not even on a plane with Darkseid, and taken down by Desaad. And we know they love dark endings over at DC. So, along with PG's historical portrayal...I'm betting on a beatdown by Darkseid. She may get one or two good ones in, but they won't matter at all, and do little to build her up. This is after all the same company that had her taken down by a plot device without even fighting back in FE, and then evidently by Barda of all people. After being Brother Eyed. True, may not be in continuity, but it shows the role she plays in the eyes of DC.

kidstandout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@achilles100:

1 are you reading worlds end because peeg has yet to be taken down by anyone. her being mind controlled hardly counts as being taken down and she didn't even fight desaad?

2 my point is that they are not going to dedicate in an entire issue for the sake of darkseid beating down a single character with such little hype up to this point. if they want to show darkseid being all powerful, they'd have him 1v1 either the top dog(alan scott at this point) or the whole squad(like on earth 0).no one is going to care if he beats down on a character who still trying to gain some momentum despite being a top tier hero in terms of power set. the fact that power girl is even given a chance to 1v1 darkseid is an obvious improvement in terms of stature. she'd be among a select few characters who can say they 1v1 darkseid and lived. think about that for a second

PowerGirlFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By PowerGirlFan

@achilles100 said:
Eh, it's been made clear that this story is all about Darkseid winning, about his being nearly unbeatable, while numerous lesser types have taken PG down, or nearly so. And this story has SHOWN plenty of heroes get beat-downs from the forces of Darkseid.

Hell, PG was mind controlled by a FURY, not even on a plane with Darkseid, and taken down by Desaad. And we know they love dark endings over at DC. So, along with PG's historical portrayal...I'm betting on a beatdown by Darkseid. She may get one or two good ones in, but they won't matter at all, and do little to build her up. This is after all the same company that had her taken down by a plot device without even fighting back in FE, and then evidently by Barda of all people. After being Brother Eyed. True, may not be in continuity, but it shows the role she plays in the eyes of DC.

Don't forget that E2 Superman, Wonder Woman and Batman were all killed in the first issue of Earth Two. Indestructible, super-strong Superman was held down by parademons and killed by a bomb blast of some kind. Though it now appears that Superman survived, he was subsequently imprisoned Desaad, who is lower level than Darkseid. Superhuman warrior Wonder Woman was killed by Steppenwolf while she had her back turned to him - she didn't even see him coming. Technical mastermind Batman got killed by an exploding tower - funny he didn't think of a way around that. Not a great start to the Earth Two series.

The cover of E2 #32 indicates that Darkseid defeats all of the top E2 superheroes, including Val.

No Caption Provided

That cover also shows PG with the "S" on her costume. Perhaps Lois gives her the one torn from Superman's costume. Val seems set to become the E2 Superman so the original E2 Superman will probably be written out somehow.

Rubear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@achilles100: they killed her off in the Ner 52 - Futures End №30.

kidstandout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rubear said:

@achilles100: they killed her off in the Ner 52 - Futures End №30.

it's non cannon people. if anyone thinks they are going to leave bruce a cripple, superman a coward and deathstroke dead, they need to wake up.

it will get erased via time travel/prevention

achilles100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@achilles100:

1 are you reading worlds end because peeg has yet to be taken down by anyone. her being mind controlled hardly counts as being taken down and she didn't even fight desaad?

2 my point is that they are not going to dedicate in an entire issue for the sake of darkseid beating down a single character with such little hype up to this point. if they want to show darkseid being all powerful, they'd have him 1v1 either the top dog(alan scott at this point) or the whole squad(like on earth 0).no one is going to care if he beats down on a character who still trying to gain some momentum despite being a top tier hero in terms of power set. the fact that power girl is even given a chance to 1v1 darkseid is an obvious improvement in terms of stature. she'd be among a select few characters who can say they 1v1 darkseid and lived. think about that for a second

I'd say it counts. And she has fought Desaad, in WF, and got smacked around pretty good. I don't really consider Alan to be the top dog on Earth 2 at the moment, not with two Kryptonians and Dr. Fate. As for Darkseid beating down PG not doing him any real good; he just doesn't need it at this point. It's essentially a filler issue. Though I'll note that PG is one of the premier talent enhancement types, or jobbers, to use wrestling terms, in the DCU. That's been her role for years, to puff up some hero or villain, because hey, they beat down a Kryptonian! Or at least the very powerful Atlantean. Hell, if "Fifty Sue" administers such a beat down to PG that she doesn't even fight back, and if Brother Eye can also control her, what do you think Darkseid's going to do.

And a Kryptonian should be able to do more than just "survive" a one on one fight with Darkseid.

achilles100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By achilles100
@powergirlfan said:

@achilles100 said:

Don't forget that E2 Superman, Wonder Woman and Batman were all killed in the first issue of Earth Two. Indestructible, super-strong Superman was held down by parademons and killed by a bomb blast of some kind. Though it now appears that Superman survived, he was subsequently imprisoned Desaad, who is lower level than Darkseid. Superhuman warrior Wonder Woman was killed by Steppenwolf while she had her back turned to him - she didn't even see him coming. Technical mastermind Batman got killed by an exploding tower - funny he didn't think of a way around that. Not a great start to the Earth Two series.

The cover of E2 #32 indicates that Darkseid defeats all of the top E2 superheroes, including Val.

No Caption Provided

That cover also shows PG with the "S" on her costume. Perhaps Lois gives her the one torn from Superman's costume. Val seems set to become the E2 Superman so the original E2 Superman will probably be written out somehow.

Yeah, they're punking out all of Earth 2, in favor of the Justice League, which managed to get the job done. Part of the DC effort to show Earth 2 for a while, but emphasize that it isn't as good as the version they prefer. And Earth 2 so far has been all about showing heroic characters get beat down, so it's not out of the blue if they do the same to PG.

kidstandout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@achilles100:

there is a difference between being beaten and being mind controlled, the former is dependent on mental attacks where the latter is physical. equating them to the same thing by your logic implies that superman has been "beaten" multiple times via mind control. you also seem to forget that when desaad fought pg back in wf, he used some hax powers to short circuit pg's abilities. it was the equivalent of using kryptonite, not a straight fight. kryptonians in general have been used as jobbers, just look at every batman v superman fight. i agree that it's happening to frequently as of late but darkseid is the exception to this rule. only superman or someone on his tier should be able to 1v1 darkseid and hold their own, and since pg is on that tier, this fight would hardly be considered jobbing. the only kryptonian capable of doing more then holding their own against darkseid is e1 supeman, and yet it took help from the league too take him down

achilles100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kidstandout: Well, when the same character is ALWAYS getting mind controlled while others around her aren't; it shows you what DC thinks of her and her role.

I gave the Supergirl getting a TV show because PG isn't well know thing a thought. Perhaps, but it doesn't really hold up under scrutiny. Cyborg of all characters is not only in the Justice League movie, but is getting his own movie, as are the Suicide Squad and Justice League Dark. These by and large aren't characters with any greater name recognition than PG.

Constantine got not only a movie, but a TV series after that movie failed. Even GA isn't all that well known outside of comic book fans, yet he has a series, and they were at one point floating a movie for him. And to look at Marvel---hell, no one outside of comics, and few even inside comics had heard much about GoTG, or Ant Man, or even Dr. Strange, or for that matter, Captain Marvel, (the Marvel version). Movies all, the first very successful.

And even much less known characters have gotten at least a brief mention in The Flash TV show, and some of them may appear in it. Wildcat has already appeared on Arrow, and he's probably less well known or popular than PG.