• 86 results
#51 Posted by Nerx (15088 posts) - - Show Bio

@fodigg:

There are superheroes with body parts as symbols, such as love sausage (his c0ck) and longmember from the freshmen (also his d!ck). Whenever females are depicted with skin people always go for slut shaming, whats up with that? there is nothing wrong with fanservice.

#52 Posted by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

@nerx said:

@fodigg:

There are superheroes with body parts as symbols, such as love sausage (his c0ck) and longmember from the freshmen (also his d!ck). Whenever females are depicted with skin people always go for slut shaming, whats up with that? there is nothing wrong with fanservice.

Already said I don't have a problem with fanservice. No idea who the two characters you listed are, but they sound like gag characters, not mainstream superheroes.

#53 Posted by Nerx (15088 posts) - - Show Bio

@fodigg: the vid is from a kid's cartoon, one is from a comic written by garth ennis, the other is from a comic by seth green

#54 Edited by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

@nerx said:

@fodigg: the vid is from a kid's cartoon, one is from a comic written by garth ennis, the other is from a comic by seth green

That doesn't surprise me and kinda underscores my point.

#55 Edited by PowerGirlFan (246 posts) - - Show Bio

@fodigg said:

Such a perfect example of why the boob window is bad; it makes cleavage her superhero symbol.

What has cleavage got to do with PG's Kryptonian super powers? The window is just a feature of her costume, not a symbol. She's not even the only female superhero who's costume displays cleavage/boobs, so how could it be a distinguishing feature of PG? It's really her larger boob size that people associate with her, and she's not the only female superhero/villain with bigger boobs either.

#56 Posted by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

@fodigg said:

Such a perfect example of why the boob window is bad; it makes cleavage her superhero symbol.

What has cleavage got to do with PG's Kryptonian super powers? The window is just a feature of her costume, not a symbol. She's not even the only female superhero who's costume displays cleavage/boobs, so how could it be a distinguishing feature of PG? It's really her larger boob size that people associate with her, and she's not the only female superhero/villain with bigger boobs either.

Look up at the background image for the Power Girl forums/wiki. Yeah. Now tell me people don't think of that as her iconic feature.

#57 Edited by PowerGirlFan (246 posts) - - Show Bio

@fodigg said:

@powergirlfan said:

@fodigg said:

Look up at the background image for the Power Girl forums/wiki. Yeah. Now tell me people don't think of that as her iconic feature.

So the reason you don't like the boob window is that it distinguishes her from other female superheroes? That's it? It's not as if people don't know she has other attributes and abilities besides boobs. A costume is supposed to distinguish superheroes from one another.

#58 Posted by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

@fodigg said:

@powergirlfan said:

@fodigg said:

So the reason you don't like the boob window is that it distinguishes her from other female superheroes?

How does that follow from what I said? This is why I often don't reply to you, because you'd rather talk with a strawman.

#59 Edited by PowerGirlFan (246 posts) - - Show Bio

@fodigg said:

@powergirlfan said:

@fodigg said:

@powergirlfan said:

@fodigg said:

So the reason you don't like the boob window is that it distinguishes her from other female superheroes?

How does that follow from what I said? This is why I often don't reply to you, because you'd rather talk with a strawman.

I'm not creating a strawman, it's just not clear what you mean. Who thinks that PG's cleavage is her superhero symbol? That's ridiculous - cleavage is nothing to do with her super powers, any more than a normal human female's clothing or boobs would be anything do to with how good she is at her job. That's just slut-shaming.

There is a major difference between a superhero's symbol and a distinguishing or iconic feature he or she is recognized by. I don't see anything wrong with PG being recognized by her costume's cleavage window or boob size. Costumes are supposed to be distinctive. People distinguish Superman by his red-yellow-blue costume even though that is also nothing to so with his super powers. It's just how we visually identify him.

There is nothing at all wrong with a female superhero's costume showing her cleavage. PG is not the only female superhero who's costume shows cleavage. Regular women's clothing also frequently show's their cleavage. I can't understand what the objection is to PG's boob window. People just need to get past it.

#60 Posted by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

@fodigg said:

@powergirlfan said:

@fodigg said:

@powergirlfan said:

@fodigg said:

I'm not creating a strawman, it's just not clear what you mean. Who thinks that PG's cleavage is her superhero symbol? That's ridiculous - cleavage is nothing to do with her super powers, any more than a normal human female's clothing or boobs would be anything do to with how good she is at her job. That's just slut-shaming.

There is a major difference between a superhero's symbol and a distinguishing or iconic feature he or she is recognized by. I don't see anything wrong with PG being recognized by her costume's cleavage window or boob size. Costumes are supposed to be distinctive. People distinguish Superman by his red-yellow-blue costume even though that is also nothing to so with his super powers. It's just how we visually identify him.

There is nothing at all wrong with a female superhero's costume showing her cleavage. PG is not the only female superhero who's costume shows cleavage. Regular women's clothing also frequently show's their cleavage. I can't understand what the objection is to PG's boob window. People just need to get past it.

Ridiculous comparison.

#61 Edited by PowerGirlFan (246 posts) - - Show Bio

@fodigg said:

@powergirlfan said:

@fodigg said:

@powergirlfan said:

@fodigg said:

@powergirlfan said:

@fodigg said:

Ridiculous comparison.

Your objection to PG's cleavage window is that it is an iconic feature of her costume. A superhero's costume is supposed to be iconic features - that's the whole point of superhero costumes.

#62 Edited by Yung ANcient One (4720 posts) - - Show Bio

I have a question too. Why do they both exist in the same universe? What is the big difference between them (besides appearance)?

( + )

#63 Posted by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

@fodigg said:

@powergirlfan said:

@fodigg said:

@powergirlfan said:

@fodigg said:

@powergirlfan said:

@fodigg said:

Ridiculous comparison.

Your objection to PG's cleavage window is that it is an iconic feature of her costume. A superhero's costume is supposed to be iconic features - that's the whole point of superhero costumes.

That's my objection? Not the implications of making it her iconic feature, just that she has an iconic feature and that happens to be it? You're adorable.

#64 Posted by PowerGirlFan (246 posts) - - Show Bio

@fodigg said:

@powergirlfan said:

That's my objection? Not the implications of making it her iconic feature, just that she has an iconic feature and that happens to be it? You're adorable.

What's wrong with the cleavage window being an iconic feature? An iconic feature isn't the only feature of a character, it's just a prominent one. It's not as if her whole costume is a cleavage window or that she doesn't also have - you know, since she is a superhero - super powers. Even people who have never read PG know she is a superhero and also know other things about her physical appearance besides the cleavage window, e.g., her hair color, her costume design, physique, powers. Red Sonja's iconic feature is her chain-mail bikini but nobody would say that she's just a girl with a chain-mail bikini. Although people who don't read Red Sonja only know her as a female warrior in a chain mail bikini she is still a "serious" comic book character? Her ridiculous bikini "armor" doesn't stop her from being a popular character. Nobody classes her as purely an excuse for gratuitous cheesecake.

#65 Posted by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

@fodigg said:

@powergirlfan said:

What's wrong with the cleavage window being an iconic feature? An iconic feature isn't the only feature of a character, it's just a prominent one. It's not as if her whole costume is a cleavage window or that she doesn't also have - you know, since she is a superhero - super powers. Even people who have never read PG know she is a superhero and also know other things about her physical appearance besides the cleavage window, e.g., her hair color, her costume design, physique, powers. Red Sonja's iconic feature is her chain-mail bikini but nobody would say that she's just a girl with a chain-mail bikini. Although people who don't read Red Sonja only know her as a female warrior in a chain mail bikini she is still a "serious" comic book character? Her ridiculous bikini "armor" doesn't stop her from being a popular character. Nobody classes her as purely an excuse for gratuitous cheesecake.

Oh thank goodness nobody does that.

#67 Edited by PowerGirlFan (246 posts) - - Show Bio

@fodigg said:

@powergirlfan said:

@fodigg said:

Red Sonja is not primarily a cheesecake comic and most people know it. Cheesecake in a comic does not make it a cheesecake comic. Red Sonja is a fantasy/action comic. Cheesecake is merely a frequent feature of that genre. Is Conan a cheesecake comic? There's plenty of cheesecake in it and the main character could himself be classed as beefcake; but primarily, Conan is a character who goes on adventures and slays his enemies. PG's cleavage window likewise doesn't make her cheesecake genre rather than superhero genre.

One 30 cm x 20 cm part of a superhero's costume does not define his or her genre or persona. Red Sonja's whole costume probably doesn't cover 30 cm x 20 cm, yet she is a warrior character, not a cheesecake character. Her whole costume is cheesecake (chain-mail bikini just couldn't be anything else) yet she is not primarily a cheesecake character. Surely PG could get off with showing some cleavage.

#68 Edited by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

@powergirlfan said:

@fodigg said:

@powergirlfan said:

@fodigg said:

Red Sonja is not primarily a cheesecake comic and most people know it. Cheesecake in a comic does not make it a cheesecake comic. Red Sonja is a fantasy/action comic. Cheesecake is merely a frequent feature of that genre. Is Conan a cheesecake comic? There's plenty of cheesecake in it and the main character could himself be classed as beefcake; but primarily, Conan is a character who goes on adventures and slays his enemies. PG's cleavage window likewise doesn't make her cheesecake genre rather than superhero genre.

One 30 cm x 20 cm part of a superhero's costume does not define his or her genre or persona. Red Sonja's whole costume probably doesn't cover 30 cm x 20 cm, yet she is a warrior character, not a cheesecake character. Her whole costume is cheesecake (chain-mail bikini just couldn't be anything else) yet she is not primarily a cheesecake character. Surely PG could get off with showing some cleavage.

And yet it's still the background image for Power Girl on this site, a clear example of "fans" of the character literally reducing her to just that. That's the problem, not "cheesecake" or "cleavage". Keep trying to squeeze blood from that stone though.

#69 Posted by RDClip (1124 posts) - - Show Bio

@fodigg: I'm a fan of Power Girl not because of the costume, but because of the character herself as developed by writers like Roy Thomas, Geoff Johns and the duo of Jimmy Palmiotti and Justin Grey.

To just assume that all her fans are just horny idiots is very insulting. It would be like calling all fans of Nightwing horny women or horny gay guys because he is a handsome slim guy in a skin tight suit or every Captain America fan is a gun-toting republican redneck because 'MERICA F**K YEAH!!! Comic Vine resident writer Sara Lima is a huge Power Girl fan, and I can be pretty sure, it's not because of the cleavage.

Don't try to reduce a character that has been around for almost 40 years to some superficial feature, because it reduces you to a shallow person in other people's perspective. If you dislike a character provide more than one shallow arguement to justify it.

#70 Edited by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

@rdclip said:

@fodigg: I'm a fan of Power Girl not because of the costume, but because of the character herself as developed by writers like Roy Thomas, Geoff Johns and the duo of Jimmy Palmiotti and Justin Grey.

To just assume that all her fans are just horny idiots is very insulting. It would be like calling all fans of Nightwing horny women or horny gay guys because he is a handsome slim guy in a skin tight suit or every Captain America fan is a gun-toting republican redneck because 'MERICA F**K YEAH!!! Comic Vine resident writer Sara Lima is a huge Power Girl fan, and I can be pretty sure, it's not because of the cleavage.

Don't try to reduce a character that has been around for almost 40 years to some superficial feature, because it reduces you to a shallow person in other people's perspective. If you dislike a character provide more than one shallow arguement to justify it.

Yeah, the context you're not getting here is that I'm also a huge power girl fan and don't mind cheesecake/beefcake, but I have serious issues with the boob window and want it gone. If it looks like I'm brushing off @PGF, it's because he's impossible to talk to. I've tried.

Trust me, if I wasn't a PG fan myself, I wouldn't care.

#71 Edited by PowerGirlFan (246 posts) - - Show Bio

@fodigg said:

@powergirlfan said:

And yet it's still the background image for Power Girl on this site, a clear example of "fans" of the character literally reducing her to just that. That's the problem, not "cheesecake" or "cleavage". Keep trying to squeeze blood from that stone though.

Then complain about people reducing her to her cleavage. Don't blame the cleavage. If cheesecake is not the problem, then why are you blaming the cheesecake? Of course people will fixate on gorgeous cleavage. It doesn't mean nobody can see the rest of her. It is really mostly "fans" like you who are fixating on PG's boobs. Nobody else makes an issue of it.

You are the one trying to squeeze blood from a stone.

#72 Posted by PowerGirlFan (246 posts) - - Show Bio

@fodigg said:

@rdclip said:

Yeah, the context you're not getting here is that I'm also a huge power girl fan and don't mind cheesecake/beefcake, but I have serious issues with the boob window and want it gone. If it looks like I'm brushing off @PGF, it's because he's impossible to talk to. I've tried.

It sounds a lot like you do mind cheesecake, since you object to a mere cleavage window. It doesn't sound like an issue at all.

Don't assume it's me. You often dodge questions with sarcasm and ad hominem, as in the above comment.

#73 Posted by w0nd (3210 posts) - - Show Bio

actually if u watch justice league the animated series power girl is a clone of supergirl and the reason they look different (regarding her boobs) is because the doctor that made her said he was going to make her look older to distinguish her from super girl so no there not the same person she's a clone

The show and the comics are completely different. Don't use the show to answer people's questions about the comic...it will lead to confusion.

#74 Edited by w0nd (3210 posts) - - Show Bio

@powergirlfan said:

@fodigg said:

@rdclip said:

It sounds a lot like you do mind cheesecake, since you object to a mere cleavage window. It doesn't sound like an issue at all.

Don't assume it's me. You often dodge questions with sarcasm and ad hominem, as in the above comment.

@fodigg said:"Such a perfect example of why the boob window is bad; it makes cleavage her superhero symbol."

@powergirlfan "What has cleavage got to do with PG's Kryptonian super powers? The window is just a feature of her costume, not a symbol"

Your whole argument started over this, and you are both talking about two completely things.

Clearly the boob window is her symbol,what she is associated with, it has nothing to do with her powers, just what she is associated with, why you brought up her kryptonian powers is beyond me when all that was said was her boobs are her symbol, what she is known for and associated with, not the ONLY thing, but a huge part of her.

Why are you two arguing over opinions....Lots of people associate her with boobs, that's just how is it.

You line up super heroes and heroines and ask random people to point out something they know about this person from first glance more than one person is going to define her by her boobs, that's just the way it is. Doesn't mean she sucks or has no other powers. I think you two are on different pages and arguing about two totally different things.

For someone who's symbol or association isn't boobs they sure do come up a lot. In 3 seconds I found those pictures and those aren't even REMOTELY close to all of them, I type in "power girl" and google fills in the rest "power girl's bra size" automatically lol.

They changed her redesign (with an actual symbol) back to her boobs one.

I am pretty sure both of you are in fact power girl fans, so what is the disagreement about? That one of you thinks she's associated with big boobs and one of you thinks that she is also associated with her powers?

On a side note you can't even make a logo silhouette of her...even cyborg has one....second rate people have no logo silhouettes she would just look like a playboy mudflap girl if one was made

#75 Posted by RDClip (1124 posts) - - Show Bio

What is the big deal? Power Girl (when she had the old costume) was not written in a sexually demeaning fashion, she wasn't constantly in sexy poses, or propositioning men for sex (inronically, that all happened in the New52 when she lost the old costume). In fact, PG has always been written as a tomboyish character short hair and all (Guy Gardner even referred to her as Butch in JLA: Classified). And personally the boob window isn't any worse than the skin tight suits (equipped with 'boob-socks') that most superheroines wear that show every curve of their bodies, T&A included.

And she has big boobs, big deal. There are real women in the real world with naturally big breasts, you wouldn't call them sexist just because they have them. What PG also has is big muscles thats a defining trait of the character that isn't talked about as much as it should. I for one apprieciate that there is a superheroine that doesn't have the exact same body type that 95% of other Superheroines out there (tall, thin)

On the other end, I don't care if they close up the boob window. I was opposed to the new costume. Not because of the lack of cleavage, but because an old reader would not recognize her as Power Girl, it had no resemblance to the old costume at all.

#76 Posted by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

@w0nd: To be fair, this argument started in the previous thread and I shouldn't have let him goad me into reopening it. I'll bow out.

#77 Posted by PowerGirlFan (246 posts) - - Show Bio

@w0nd said:

Your whole argument started over this, and you are both talking about two completely things.

Clearly the boob window is her symbol,what she is associated with, it has nothing to do with her powers, just what she is associated with, why you brought up her kryptonian powers is beyond me when all that was said was her boobs are her symbol, what she is known for and associated with, not the ONLY thing, but a huge part of her.

Why are you two arguing over opinions....Lots of people associate her with boobs, that's just how is it.

You line up super heroes and heroines and ask random people to point out something they know about this person from first glance more than one person is going to define her by her boobs, that's just the way it is. Doesn't mean she sucks or has no other powers. I think you two are on different pages and arguing about two totally different things.

For someone who's symbol or association isn't boobs they sure do come up a lot. In 3 seconds I found those pictures and those aren't even REMOTELY close to all of them, I type in "power girl" and google fills in the rest "power girl's bra size" automatically lol.

They changed her redesign (with an actual symbol) back to her boobs one.

I am pretty sure both of you are in fact power girl fans, so what is the disagreement about? That one of you thinks she's associated with big boobs and one of you thinks that she is also associated with her powers?

On a side note you can't even make a logo silhouette of her...even cyborg has one....second rate people have no logo silhouettes she would just look like a playboy mudflap girl if one was made

When I said PG's cleavage is not her symbol I meant that they are not like the symbols other characters have which represent their super powers - Superman's "S", the Flash's lightning bolt. Green Lantern's lantern, Batman's bat etc. Perhaps it symbolizes her in the looser sense you are using, i.e. an association or a widely recognized feature. I won't argue against that, except to say that her costumes have not always had the widow and if she were given a regular costume without a window, it would cease to symbolize her.

But fodigg's objection is not merely about whether PG's cleavage is a symbol, it is about whether she should have a boob window, and, in previous threads, he has come up with many different reasons for why. I and other people here don't see why the association people make between PG and her cleavage window is a reason to change it. If some fans don't like other people to associate PG with her cleavage window, then .they should object to that association, not the cleavage window itself, because all it is is really a recognizable, distinguishing feature of her costume design. Objecting to it is like objecting to Wonder Woman's star-spangled briefs.

I think PG does have a recognizable silhouette, and not solely because of her boob size. In any case, not having a silhouette logo does not make a character second rate.

#78 Posted by PowerGirlFan (246 posts) - - Show Bio

@fodigg said:

@w0nd: To be fair, this argument started in the previous thread and I shouldn't have let him goad me into reopening it. I'll bow out.

The argument started because we disagree with each other. You are the one who brought it up in this thread and I didn't goad you, I just challenged what you said. You always try to win your argument by appointing to yourself the moral or intellectual high ground. That's not an debating, it's evading debate.

#79 Edited by w0nd (3210 posts) - - Show Bio

@powergirlfan: At the very least you are both fans clearly. Hopefully the new 52 power girl doesn't change that much or ruin her

Hah just read the new supergirl her costume gets called out there too

#80 Edited by PowerGirlFan (246 posts) - - Show Bio

@w0nd said:

@powergirlfan: At the very least you are both fans clearly. Hopefully the new 52 power girl doesn't change that much or ruin her

What new 52 Power Girl?

In SG #20 "Power Girl" looks classy in that costume. Seriously, it shows no more cleavage than Wonder Woman or Black Canary - it's just a different design. And while every other female superhero is wearing a skimpy spandex costume, can we not just have a little sex appeal? It's no worse than what the average woman wears to the beach and even some regular street clothing. Could we all just move into the 20th century and possibly along into present one?

In #19, SG tells PG she looks good in that costume. In #20, she tells her she may be too old for it. I think it's the other way around: SG never wore it because she is too young, i.e., doesn't have the boobs for it.

#81 Edited by GWHH (568 posts) - - Show Bio

Supergirl cares about her cleavage also.

First Time I saw her talk about chest.

Maybe she is more like Power Girl than we thought

#82 Posted by w0nd (3210 posts) - - Show Bio

@w0nd said:

What new 52 Power Girl?

In SG #20 "Power Girl" looks classy in that costume. Seriously, it shows no more cleavage than Wonder Woman or Black Canary - it's just a different design. And while every other female superhero is wearing a skimpy spandex costume, can we not just have a little sex appeal? It's no worse than what the average woman wears to the beach and even some regular street clothing. Could we all just move into the 20th century and possibly along into present one?

In #19, SG tells PG she looks good in that costume. In #20, she tells her she may be too old for it. I think it's the other way around: SG never wore it because she is too young, i.e., doesn't have the boobs for it.

who's complaining (besides the other guys, who turns out wasn't complaining)? but to ignore the fact that she is clearly a sex object would be denial. She gets called out on it more than anyone else, that's the running gag it's been that way for years.

#83 Edited by PowerGirlFan (246 posts) - - Show Bio

@w0nd said:

@powergirlfan said:

@w0nd said:

What new 52 Power Girl?

who's complaining (besides the other guys, who turns out wasn't complaining)? but to ignore the fact that she is clearly a sex object would be denial. She gets called out on it more than anyone else, that's the running gag it's been that way for years.

Fodigg was complaining about the cleavage window. His reasons seem to vary.

I don't deny that PG is a sex object. My whole point is: So what if she is? Name a female superhero who isn't. "Sex object" just means object of sexual attraction. I have rarely heard anybody complain about being sexually attractive. Yes it's a running gag and a complimentary one. It's not an issue. I don't know about "more than anyone else" though. Wonder Woman often gets it and Starfire certainly does. Catwoman is definitely an overt sex object.

#85 Posted by Onyx_Nine (20 posts) - - Show Bio

I read somewhere that the reason her breasts are drawn that big started as a joke. The artist felt ignored by the editors, so he keep drawing them bigger until someone noticed. At least that is the reason they gave to it.

Supergirl/Powergirl, i really have no preference. Supergirl is just a kid who is now in a place that is not home. She must feel like a teenager in a deserted island without, ipad, iphone, internet, wi-fi, etc, etc, and no friends, she will get used to it. While PG is an adult who got used to live on earth, without all whatever kryptonian tech.

http://ragnell.blogspot.com/2006/05/power-girl-you-be-judge.html

http://ragnell.blogspot.com/2006/05/power-girl-you-be-judge.html

#86 Edited by PowerGirlFan (246 posts) - - Show Bio

@onyx_nine said:

I read somewhere that the reason her breasts are drawn that big started as a joke. The artist felt ignored by the editors, so he keep drawing them bigger until someone noticed. At least that is the reason they gave to it.

That Wally Wood story is a myth. However, in any comic, boob size changes from panel to panel (apparently) merely due to inconsistencies in the drawings. Comic books illustrations aren't accurately drawn technical schematics. (PG's boobs did suddenly get a lot bigger in the early Super Squad / JSA series for a couple of issues.)

PG had a curvy, strong figure from her very first appearance and from that time her boobs were drawn somewhat bigger than average even by comic female standards. However, some artists chose to draw her boobs average size and also drew her with the standard slim female superhero figure instead of her original curvy figure.

People credit/blame Bart Sears for PG's current boob size but most of the time even he didn't draw them very large. They have really been drawn about the same size since her first appearance.

#87 Posted by PowerWoman (3344 posts) - - Show Bio

Powergirl = muscle+boob

#88 Edited by GWHH (568 posts) - - Show Bio

I think PG should be seen as the older, brash, bigger than life sister of supergirl. super girl the good little sister

#89 Posted by ganon15 (1445 posts) - - Show Bio

Powergirl