Power Girl reading suggestions

MrAugen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Good day.

I have recently got back into comic books after hiatus due to financial issues. Anyways, I started reading "Power Girl" run from a few years back and have become a big fan of the character.

My question is what issues or appearances of hers would you suggest outside of her #1-27 solo series? From this site see spent time in JSA/Justice Society of America and has many cameos. Which ones are the best or alternatively most central to the character in your eyes.

Thank you for any help.

rav4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Whatever you do, stay away from the New 52's Worlds' Finest.

MrAugen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ravager4 said:

Whatever you do, stay away from the New 52's Worlds' Finest.

Well, not buying something is easy enough to do. May I ask why?

Also, any suggestions to any series to not stay away from?

rav4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mraugen: Well, aside from the story being painfully dull and boring, everything you liked about PG from her solo series is completely gone and altered to be basically the exact opposite. She is portrayed as arrogant, whiny, dimwitted, overly sexual (seriously, she slept with Mr. Terrific just so she could steal his technology, then got all pissy when he tried to steal it back), astoundingly immature, and shows little care for anyone other than herself or Helena. She is unlikable and unheroic, a complete travesty to the Power Girl name.

All that said, JSA All Stars is good.

MrAugen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ravager4 Wow. Well that sounds pretty bad then. Shame to hear that, any hopes for the future?

"JSA All Stars is good", thank you, I will try to find some issues of that then. Any thoughts on other JSA series?

rav4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By rav4

@mraugen: Not until they boot the current writer and get someone who treats PG with respect. Or just cancel the series.

That's all I got, haven't read any other JSA stuff.

RDClip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Some good Power Girl books to read:

All the JSA stuff is great, I'd particularly recommend the JSA story arc 'Thy Kingdom Come'

JSA Classified 1-4

Infinite Crisis

Terra miniseries

JLA Classified 4-9

Birds of Prey #42

I haven't gotten around to reading JLI yet, so I can't say if she was good in that or not.

PowerGirlFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By PowerGirlFan

Justice League Europe and Justice League International (1989 - 1994). She's sexy and funny in that series. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Justice_League_Europe

If you want to see her very early stories, get the 1976 All-Star Comics: Super Squad/Justice Society TPBs. The Power Girl TPB has her early two-part feature in Showcase, plus some more recent stories which provide some background to her own 2009 title.

And I have to find which title and issues my profile pic is from. That has to be good.

MrAugen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rdclip said:

Some good Power Girl books to read:

All the JSA stuff is great, I'd particularly recommend the JSA story arc 'Thy Kingdom Come'

JSA Classified 1-4

Infinite Crisis

Terra miniseries

JLA Classified 4-9

Birds of Prey #42

I haven't gotten around to reading JLI yet, so I can't say if she was good in that or not.

Wow. Lots of suggestions there. Thank you very much, I will look into all of those.

MrAugen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Justice League Europe and Justice League International (1989 - 1994). She's sexy and funny in that series. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Justice_League_Europe

If you want to see her very early stories, get the 1976 All-Star Comics: Super Squad/Justice Society TPBs. The Power Girl TPB has her early two-part feature in Showcase, plus some more recent stories which provide some background to her own 2009 title.

And I have to find which title and issues my profile pic is from. That has to be good.

Thank you for your response. I will be on the look out for those as well. Really appreciate the feedback.

Avatar image for betatesthighlander1
Betatesthighlander1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@ravager4: what was the first TPB of JSA All-Stars?

PowerGirlFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By PowerGirlFan
Betatesthighlander1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PowerGirlFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Betatesthighlander1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MrAugen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Update: Went to the local shoppe and picked up some of the suggestions. I nearly panicked when could not find any, and then they were a whole bunch in the clearance bins.

JSA: All Stars #1-18

Justice League of America #0-60

Justice Society of America #1-26

JSA: Classified #1-4

JSA: Blackest Night #1-3

Total cost came $106.33 and should have plenty to read for a while and get caught up on the character. Think I got most of what I needed, so not too much more to buy now. The Terra mini series they said was hard to find so that one might take a while.

Thank you everyone for your help and support.

MrAugen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just wanted tot ouch base and say thank you again as read a lot with the character.

Easily my favorite is 2009 solo series and would love to see that style return. It felt fun in a sort of semi silver age vibe of "just go with it" stories. I really enjoyed the character focus of Karen Starr and Power Girl balancing her lives. To me of all I've read this is my definitive Power Girl. Some of the other series have an uneven tone and I think the writers struggles of how to handle her come across in her characterization. To me, she is at her best when she makes peace with what she is and fights the good fight. I am not saying she cannot have struggles, but sometimes it felt a bit "meta" with her identity crisis in some arcs. I did enjoy certain stories seeing her determination and fight and be a true hero. I really like to find Terra series as her sisterly relationship with her was lot of fun and something like to see explored more.

As for her current run. I have mixed feelings as to what I've read. Glad she is back to traditional costume, but not sure the team up dynamic as a default is best direction and again, some mixed characterization. This is to be expected I suppose to a degree with different creative teams. I really would just love a fresh start for her with someone going "Okay, that 2009 run? That's our base of inspiration in core characterization and story telling, but we can take it fresh directions".

Overall been pleasantly surprised in majority of cases and Power Girl is definitely one of my favorite super heroes. I hope to keep up with her exploits and see her return to her best form in capable creative hands.

Thank you again to considerate members here.