00:00:00
CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

My personal opinions, since you asked.

I love the idea of more in depth discussion on some books, spoilers are fine. Simple solution for those that don't want spoilers, read your books before listening. Trade waiters, sorry, too bad, that's the choice made and the price you pay for waiting.

I'm also all for all of the movie and tv news moving to the super massive. Even if it means ultimately both podcasts are shorter in duration. More focused podcasts equal better podcasts.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

A better idea would be to save the spoilers for the end, because sometimes I listen without having read my comics, and if you open with spoilers then I can't start the podcast. If you save the spoilers for the end then I could listen to everything else, and when it's time for spoilers I could tune out and listen some other time.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

#3  Edited By MadeinBangladesh

SPOILERS!?!?!

I HATE SPOILERS!

no spoilers please

~MiB

Flicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Flicker

Personally I'm fine with spoilers. If I'm behind with my books, I'll typically only listen through the news and finish the rest of the podcast later in the week. I do agree with CaptainMarvel4Ever, I think the ideal place for spoilers would be the end. Like an "After Show." This way it doesn't disrupt the flow of the show and alienate those that don't like spoilers.

I do like the podcast on Friday's simply because I enjoy listening while I drive around during the weekend. I guess I just look at it from the perspective if Friday is too soon for some people they can always listen to it later.

Thanks guys for trying to keep it fresh and continuing to improve the show. I always look forward to the podcast.

d9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

SPOILERS!?!?!

I HATE SPOILERS!

no spoilers please

~MiB

Lol, I can totally hear R-Truth saying that. Spoilers and Spiders, his only two weaknesses.

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm fine with spoilers, though you might wanna have the spoilers at the end of the episode that way people who don't wanna hear them don't have to skip around and hope they don't miss any of the podcast or jump into a spoiler.

Other than that I'm sad to see the other podcast go on hiatus, but once Tony finishes Daredevil I expect an episode! :P You could also turn the other podcast into a spoilercast and keep this one without spoilers though that could be more of a hassle as you'd repeat yourself a lot.

SynCig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 45

I read almost everything in trade. The only things I read in singles right now are the Star Wars comics from Marvel. All that said, I'm totally fine with spoilers. I made the decision to buy my books in trade. With that, I accepted a looooong time ago that I'd be spoiled on some of the plot threads before I got to read them. It never ruins the experience for me because hearing a spoiler out of context often lacks the emotional impact that the comic brings with it. On top of that, a good story should elicit emotion and surprise even if there isn't a big unspoiled reveal. I re-read Batman Year One at least once a year and it still gives me goosebumps just like the first time I read it. So good writing should not be dependent upon you being spoiler free (with some exceptions obviously). If people REALLY want to avoid spoilers then they can wait to listen to the podcast. Or, as others have suggested, a happy medium would be to wait and have the spoiler discussions at the end of the episode. Either way, I'm still going to listen to the podcast so do whatever feels right. Just throwing my two cents on this long debated topic.

BattheMan008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By BattheMan008
@captainhoopla said:

My personal opinions, since you asked.

I love the idea of more in depth discussion on some books, spoilers are fine. Simple solution for those that don't want spoilers, read your books before listening. Trade waiters, sorry, too bad, that's the choice made and the price you pay for waiting.

I'm also all for all of the movie and tv news moving to the super massive. Even if it means ultimately both podcasts are shorter in duration. More focused podcasts equal better podcasts.

I agree with this. By the way are you not doing creator interviews on Super Massive anymore? Haven't been on here in a while.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

I'm totally fine with spoilers, in fact I'd much rather hear them than you guys dancing around plot points and such which can really get annoying.

An idea I really like is that if each of you guys pick one comic that they really loved\hated\found interesting and then you really do an in depth analysis of it spoilers and all.

Fat_Cobra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think you all should just find the style that fits you best... you will never be able to please everyone...

LiveForever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flicker said:

I do like the podcast on Friday's simply because I enjoy listening while I drive around during the weekend. I guess I just look at it from the perspective if Friday is too soon for some people they can always listen to it later.

THIS. I don't think it makes any sense to still record the podcast Friday, but just release it Monday. Can't the people who haven't picked up and/or read their books by Friday just wait until they have to listen? Just seems silly for everyone to wait.

I have podcasts I listen to daily on the weekdays. This is one of two I listen to every weekend. I'm honestly a lot more likely to fall way behind on this if it goes up after the weekend.

d9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait, you mean our opinion actually matters? What a concept.

Personally I'm pro-spoilers. I almost never read comics as they come but I still like to hear the finer details about what's going on. If I'm tradewaiting (like with Saga) I simply take the appropriate steps to avoid spoilers. So as long as we're given proper warning I welcome more spoilers. I also think it will allow for deeper conversation about the book in question.

Oh, and how about you guys re-name the podcast when you make these changes. I'm thinking "The All New, All Different Comic Vine Podcast". You could also re-number the podcast at 1. I hear that's an excellent way to increase interest. ;p

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@d9000: ANAD Comic Vine Podcast #1, this made me laugh more than it should have.

Janjaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes to spoilers all the way. No to podcast being on monday.

Avatar image for xescapetheliesx
XescapetheliesX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spoilers are fine and having a few books each week that are discussed more in depth would be cool. Spotlight the bigger releases or really good books each week.

It would be really interesting to have comic book writers, artists, editors, etc... on as guests sometimes too. Not always as an interview but to give their two cents on books you guys are taking about. Or like interview then let them hang out and review comics with you guys. The focus doesn't have to totally be on them the whole time, they can just be like a fourth member of the group.

Avatar image for xescapetheliesx
XescapetheliesX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And definitely no to moving the day to Monday. If you put it up too early for some people they can just wait to listen, but for those of us that listen over the weekend we would have to wait. Friday gives everyone the option to listen when they want

judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I'm all for spoilers. I've picked up some books before because of spoilers.....

WarDishy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

- I'm fine listening on any day really, but I do like the Friday release.

- I'm never up-to-date on any of the comics I read but spoilers don't bother me one bit. It's all about the journey, not the destination.

- I do miss the creator interviews on the Super Massive podcast. Maybe if possible, you could still do a few of those if and when things line up. Every week would be too much but it'd be a shame to stop completely, it's introduced me to new writers and series that I hadn't known about beforehand and might not have given a chance.

RevivalMH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By RevivalMH

I'm all for a more in depth discussion on the comics that came out during the week. Unfortunately, not all my friends read the same books I do so your in depth discussions would sort of scratch that itch to talk about them. Bring on the spoilers.

NatX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it is a great idea to do spoilers on key books but maybe do it at the end, give the specific books and an exact time limit!

Bl00dwerK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Spoilers are fine. If I haven't read my comics that week I'll wait about listening to the podcast...

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I've fallen behind on comics in the past few months. So many of my fave books have since bit the dust so there's not that much out there that's really grabbing me outside of two or three titles, even if a lot of them are indeed of a high quality. Also I was hit hard by event fatigue in Marvel and DC and wallet fatigue from all the great indie titles. There's literally too many comics! So I say spoil away, it doesn't bother me as I listen at my own risk. I find that words alone can't describe how amazing some of the art is when properly attuned to a great story. I come to the podcast more for the discussion (as well as the inner strife).

Most recent big comic milestone for me was finally completing my collection of all 31 Dark Horse volumes of Blade of the Immortal. Needless to say it's one of my all time favorite books. I'd totally write a "Why you should read..." for that series but realistically I have neither the time nor the energy. Thanks and keep up the good work.

DrellAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Yes spoilers, but a Monday podcast would be better. That gives me a bit more time to read the week's books.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

#25  Edited By gmanfromheck

I appreciate all the feedback, here and the numerous emails and tweets. As mentioned on this ep, we won't make any changes right away. We'll touch on this briefly again. I know spending too much time talking about could be a drag.

What it comes down to is, our numbers are good. But of course I want them to be better. A reason for the Monday publishing (yes, people could wait until Monday to download if they haven't read all their books), if one goes up on Friday and people head to the theater to see Jurassic World or whatever, they might miss when the podcast is on the front page or has the "new podcast" reminder on the tabs. I need to look into how many download directly from the site on this page vs how many subscribe automatically, etc. And I could just start pushing a promo on a Monday or something.

iceman228433

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would love it if you did spoilers because if you talk about something cool in the comic I will be more likely to buy it to see it myself. The way it is now I don't know why you guys even bother you don't talk about anything, there is no point. When you have the chance to sell my on a comic you just say nothing so I won't buy it. You guys just saying this thing happens means nothing. The only part of the show I really like is the news section and then I tune out most weeks because you don't say anything about comics. Lets take this as an example I don't read avengers comics, if you one week you guys told be some cool stuff that was happening I would be more inclined to read it. Comics are to expensive to read everything I need to have reasons to check something out, and right now you don't give them.

Avatar image for barstoolprophet
BarstoolProphet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Personally, i really look forward to listening on friday night or saturday morning. I always enjoy the podcast, and enjoy what you guys do. Truthfully, i have no real recommendations (the "after show" is a neat idea, but i fear it may interrupt the organic flow of conversation if something just comes up). Keep up the fantastic work!! :D

Seathdroke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't care about spoilers in the least. Especially if you announce it ahead of time. I actually prefer them. If there's something I don't wanna know, I'll just skip it.

MrDevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They transform Batman into robocop. when is going Disney buy WB? i mean seriously.

Cozmicaztaway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@g_man: I tend to download the podcast on Monday because it gives me something to listen to at work, as I'm usually too busy on weekends to "listen" to something. I'm in Sweden though, so a "Monday" podcast would most likely be Tuesday for me, and that's.. well, I have too many podcasts to listen to, mondays are usually fine.

I think you guys should do spoilers, but maybe get an "episode notes" thing like Giant Bomb has so you can denote times or something there and say "hey, here's some spoilers for these".

TheBeav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

First off, you guys have problems with mics? I know all about problems. I love Problems and raps about them apparently (link to clean version for the kids out there).

I'm fine with spoilers. In fact I love them. Feels like I'm part of the crowd sharing what we think of a plot point. Also, if i'm not reading a book, a great way to get my into it is to explain the current plot.

and yes i find it a little hard when there is so much tiptoeing around a plot point.

I also can't always read my comics right away. sometimes its even two weeks later but I still listen to the podcast.

I'll share my little secret with you.... I automatically download the podcast, BUT, I don't listen to in until I've read that weeks book! Amazing right?! no spoilers and I get spoilers. All of my personalities win!

Last thing. I am loving this podcast, keep up the great work. Thanks!

Avatar image for callthisrational
callthisrational

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spoilers please.

I am generally against spoilers when it comes to a written article, but for podcasts I would much rather listen to an in depth conversation about the plot points and major reveals than a "if you know what happens then you know, but if you don't then you don't" kind of thing.

As far as when the podcast comes out, I think Friday is still the best day to release it. I don't listen to any other comic podcast on Fridays so I usually set aside time in the evening for this podcast, but whenever you decide to release it I will continue to be a loyal listener.

MilesGoodrich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By MilesGoodrich

New listener, thanks for the podcast

Spoilers with warning and a time mark would be great and is a good compromise for those that don't want to hear them.

Also, I would love to hear more about TV and movie news but maybe that's what the Super Massive podcast is about. I haven't listened to it much so I'm not sure. But it sounds like it's on pause. So I'll be listening to this one for TV and movie news.

Bmur62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would prefer spoilers personally. I like the idea of them at the end you could have the "SpoilerCast" and the last 30 min or so spill the beans so to speak for those that still want to listen. It helps keep me up with books I dont follow as much or dont have money to spend on but may be relevant to continuity some how.

d9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By d9000

@g_man:

What the heck? I wrote "I hope you're HAVING a great Summer", present tense. I'm not going anywhere... Or am I?? Do you know something I don't know?! :O

Also, Cory said Supergirl not Power Girl. One point for Cory.

Ashr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Talking in generalities about books to avoid revealing plot points or surprises is dull and uninteresting. I tune into the Comic Vine Weekly podcast to hear insightful thoughts on books. Pedestrian comments like "the artwork was good" or "it was well written" are not helpful as a comic book fan. I want to know why the artwork was good and what about a particular book is well written. Did something significant happen in a story arc? Was an under-the-radar title released that people should know about? Please consider adding more independent book discussion also!

thedude95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Please no spoilers!! Speacialy for Batman! I've been reading it but can only get it in trades and DC takes SO MUCH TIME to get the trades out! And where I live there's only an online store because the store was closed due to lack of clients, and even if i bought the single issues the guy running the store only gets his shippings once a month from the distributer (welcome to Portugal...), so I would still be unable to read it before the podcast!

And yes it would be cool to have some gests on the show and talk a little about tv shows too, but still focusing more on the comics.

By the way, any of you watching the TMNT show on nickelodeon? any thoughts?

MAOsborne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am ok with whatever you guys choose to do. If there are spoilers I can choose to avoid them. I still have an episode of the Super Massive podcast (RIP) on my Ipod. It is paused right before you start talking about Age of Ultron. One day I will listen to it, when I have seen it.

If you decide to go the spoiler route, you should definitely try to contain it to one section of the podcast, so people can avoid it. Maybe record it first, but put it at the end of the podcast. The Lost rewatch podcast that Patrick, formerly of GB, was on had a spoiler section at the end of each episode.

d9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By d9000

@thedude95:

Seems like you're in the minority on the spoilers issue. But if batman books are the only ones you don't want spoiled it's really not hard to skip over the review. I know it's just the one book but every time the talk about Saga I just skip ahead a few minutes and avoid any possible spoilers.

The real trouble is a spoiler without any warning, which comic vine is very good at not doing even now.

Seathdroke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Did I hear Matt had Predestination? I really liked that movie. It went under the radar.

thedude95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@d9000: Yeah, I'm not jus reading batman but thats the book they talk about more that I read, but yeah I can skip that part, but in my opinion the books will have more of an impact on the reader if there are no spoilers, but thats just me, and like you said the majority seems to want spoilers and that's fine I guess.

The idea that someone gave of having the spoiler talk at the end of the podcast is actualy a realy good idea too.

d9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By d9000

@thedude95:

Totally agree, about both points. It's definitely a different situation when you read a book knowing exactly what's going to happen and when you have no clue. Say what they will about "it should be about the journey, not the destination", that's true and all but knowing the events in advance changes the journey.

NWOslave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

im new here and after listening to the opening 5 minutes of the 6-12 podcast i would like to suggest instead of having a single podcast how about break up the 3 hours into smaller ones just for the subject matter at hand. news, spoilers, commentary all in their own separate podcast. that way those that want to listen to all can, those that want to listen to just news and avoid spoilers can, those that want spoilers and no news can as well. just and idea.

see you on the flip side.

NWOslave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@seathdroke: predestination was a great paradox film however even with the Heinlein story there had to be some beginning for Jane. The whole paradox was held together by her/his ex nihlio existence. which didnt jive for me.