Comic Vine Podast 11/20/09 (Zombies, Baboon Butts, Batman Vs Carrot Top)

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

It's Friday so that means another episode of the Comic Vine Podcast. 

This week Drew from Giant Bomb joins in on the fun.  Our conversation dealt with Zombies, Monkey Hitman (and assless chaps), is Moonstone a skank, why people should like Wonder Woman and if Batman can take on Carrot Top.

We also manage to squeeze some actual comic book talk, specifically the Punisher and his current "FrankenCastle" situation along with this week's comic covers.

Grab a snack and a pair of headphones and click below:  

Leave a comment here or visit the regular podcast page to throw in your two cents.
www.comicvine.com/podcast
crazywolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By crazywolf

A ripped Carrottop... ew...

Agent Buttons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Agent Buttons
@crazywolf said:
"

"
The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By The_Ghostshell

Good stuff. Is it me though or do G-man and Sara never interact? Its like you guys dont feed off one another...

Comiclove5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#4  Edited By Comiclove5

Most teen guys don't like Wonder Woman, but for me if the book is good (in my opionion) it doesn't matter if the main chacter is A Man or a Woman, Gay or Straight, Alien or Human whatever or whatever. I am going to read the book or if the concept of the character(s) interest me. 

Red L.A.M.P.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Red L.A.M.P.
@Gambler said:
" Good stuff. Is it me though or do G-man and Sara never interact? Its like you guys dont feed off one another... "
It's just that they cant take their eyes off me!
The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By The_Ghostshell
@Red L.A.M.P. said:
" @Gambler said:
" Good stuff. Is it me though or do G-man and Sara never interact? Its like you guys dont feed off one another... "
It's just that they cant take their eyes off me! "
See, I was gonna say that but I didnt want to air your bizznes out in the streets.
gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By gmanfromheck
@Gambler: Because of our busy schedules, we actually record these podcasts separately...
The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By The_Ghostshell
@G-Man said:
" @Gambler: Because of our busy schedules, we actually record these podcasts separately... "
 Makes sense.

@CASSANDRA CAIN, LADY SHIVA, and Sara all in the same podcast? Plus Drew dropping some funny ish...I usually dont listen to these but this one was classic. Well played.
gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By gmanfromheck
@Gambler: We also have a podcast writer that writes our dialogue.  This way we can just phone in our lines whenever we want.  We usually record these a few weeks in advanced.
FoxxFireArt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#10  Edited By FoxxFireArt

You see, everyone notices that Spider-man cover has been used ad nauseum. I believe it was even parodied for Gen 13 #1 as one of the MANY variant covers.

I had a friend on the high school football team that could bench press 300lbs (136kilo). It was scary. There is something odd about a buff comedian. They always look like bullies.

Catwoman needs more then a single issue. I'm a firm believer that a comic story needs to be at least three parts with each issue as an act. One issue is pretty insulting to a character of that status. How many comics is Wolverine in? Though his title is currently usurped.

Of couse Bruce will be back!! Ye of little faith. There are the markings that he's left that are clues. G-Man found one.

I finally saw GI Joe: The Rise of Cobra on DVD. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. It was pretty entertaining. Though, I do agree that the Baron Cobre and Cobra was stupid since he wasn't really involved. He was a patsy.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving to everyone at the staff and ComicVine community!!!

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By NightFang3
@crazywolf said:
"

"
             WHEN DID THAT HAPPEN!!!!!!!????

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By The_Ghostshell
@G-Man said:
" @Gambler: We also have a podcast writer that writes our dialogue.  This way we can just phone in our lines whenever we want.  We usually record these a few weeks in advanced. "
When do I get to phone in for my special guest appearance?
crazywolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By crazywolf
@NightFang: 
Not that long ago I guess. Maybe between 2007-2008. Not sure. People still get surprised about it.
Dipic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Dipic

Holy site-overhaul Batman!

Sorry, couldn't help but comment on that. Looks pretty good for the most part...

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By The_Ghostshell

Good lookin' out Lamp on mentioning my Bastard.

Darkchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 12

#16  Edited By Darkchild

You had me at bamboo butts, classic guys

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 8

#17  Edited By sora_thekey

I want tot contradict Babs!!! 

The fact that Ms. Marvel (Karla) is on every Dark Avenger doesn't make her weak. It makes her a slut, but not a weak female character. I do think it's kind of off for her to be doing this. (or Bendis writing her like that)... My assumption is that her meds are off... If you remeber Mac Gargan is turing all girlie, so someting might be wrong... 

Also in the Ms. Marvel series she was never potrayed like that so if your opinion on Karla has to be changed then everybody needs to read Ms. Marvel 

KansetsuWaza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By KansetsuWaza

thats a scary sight!!

TheBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By TheBug

Did I hear a Booster Gold dis?  

I have never read Wonder Woman. She's always seemed too Godess like in the JLA, so I wasn't interested in her title. Give me Manhunter over her any day.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By gmanfromheck
@TheBug: Personally, I like Booster Gold. I really like how he's more of a 'hero' now but no one knows it.
No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#21  Edited By No_Name_
@sora_thekey: Just because a female character appears in a comic does not make her a strong character.

I think we may have different opinions regarding what we think makes a strong woman in comics, and the current Ms. Marvel (Moonstone) written by Bendis is not a good example of that, in my opinion.

Also, the word "slut" really irks me. It's ok for a guy to be with three different girls, but when a girl is with three different guys, she's a slut? I think that just makes her horny.
No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#22  Edited By No_Name_
@TheBug said:
"

I have never read Wonder Woman. She's always seemed too Godess like in the JLA, so I wasn't interested in her title. Give me Manhunter over her any day.

"
You choose Manhunter over Wondy any day but you've never read her book?
sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 8

#24  Edited By sora_thekey
@Babs said:
" @sora_thekey: Just because a female character appears in a comic does not make her a strong character.  I think we may have different opinions regarding what we think makes a strong woman in comics, and the current Ms. Marvel (Moonstone) written by Bendis is not a good example of that, in my opinion.  Also, the word "slut" really irks me. It's ok for a guy to be with three different girls, but when a girl is with three different guys, she's a slut? I think that just makes her horny. "

I actually never said it was ok for a guy to be with three girls at once... I actually find that wrong (This is my opinion in case this affects anybody). 

I do agreee the writers take on a character might differ from another, and you're right just because she comes out on a comic doesn't mean she's a strong character. (Mary Jane ). but I do think that on her own title she's a better character. I think as far as karla she's a srong female character because her origins and added to that the people she "hangs" with. If she weren't a strong character she wouldn't be trying to have sex with her teammates they would be trying with her.  

She takes initiative = makes her a strong female character 
She refuses to be a tool = makes her a strong female character 
A girl who is used as a sex tool or "grupies" other guys and hides from the war line = weak female character 

That's how I measure it...
Archetype

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Archetype

@Babs:

Aziz Ansari as Randy is hilarious, his satire of current comics' acts was spot on. He's the only comic with a DJ,ballin!

If I had to pick one hero to go bad it would be Supergirl (I make them good girls go bad) no it wouldn't be her I just couldn't think of anyone so I made a horrible joke, and if that wasn't enough I also don't make good girls go bad. :( Most of the major heroes have either already been evil at some point or had an evil version of them show up so it's hard to pick one that hasn't been done. Although I believe I answered this question in one of the "question of the day" posts and I chose Reed Richards because Sue is usually the one who turns evil when they(the FF) visit some alternate reality or whatever.

TheBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By TheBug
@Babs said:
" @TheBug said:
"

"
You choose Manhunter over Wondy any day but you've never read her book? "

I have never read her series, but I've read plenty of other titles in which she was a main character. I don't hate Diana, but she's just not my thing. Best thing I ever read with her would have to be Kingdom Come.
Speedy92286

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Speedy92286

First time listening to the podcast! Very entertaining, guys! Had a few laughs before work. Anyway, while listening I heard Babs ask what Ms. Marvel fans think of Moonstone. I am a fan of Ms. Marvel, but a bigger one of Moonstone, so I guess that counts...somewhat. My first real exposure to Moonstone was during Ellis' run of Thunderbolts, and in the run she came off as the !@#$%y character I usually happen to love. The writing of the series was great and I was happy. Then after on the Marvel forums I heard that the new series is much worse than the old one. So I decided to see if I can find the series online. Finding a torrent from issue 1-current, mini's included I hit download. After a few days I got my hands on the old series. And it was bliss!

It took me a long time to finish the series, but very quickly Moonstone became one of my favorites, if not my favorite character of the bunch. Great powers, good personality, and had an interesting role on the team. Then I went back to Ellis' and I was disgusted a little. Sure, Moonstone was there, but became more of a !@#$% than she should. The random sex thing didn't bother me, but the refusal to really fight bothered me. Then Dark Reign came along and Karla(Moonstone) was going along as Ms. Marvel. She had a bigger role and fought! Happiness was mine! Then she was apparently being written as a whore by Bendis. Not just the random sex with Marvel Boy, but the way she was drawn, her dialogue...just terrible. 

Then Ms. Marvel "died" and Karla took over the series. I figured maybe she would be written well and can redeem Karla. No chance. Apparently Reed hates writing Moonstone, so her personality was a wet blanket. I read the series up to 46 for the character, but little else. I read up on the older issues, and it gave me a love for Carol, so when she blew up, I was a bit upset. Well, long story short, I am glad Karla is now Moonstone again and out of Reed's hands. Reed is great with Ms. Marvel, so maybe I can find some more joy in the title next issue.

Sorry for the long summary! The point is, Moonstone wasn't always like this and was one of my favorite female characters. Now she is just going downhill in every appearance. The worst thing is, Bendis is not going to change her personality any. She is going to "use her body" to get her way and so on. Yay! So Moonstone's personality is when she "uses her body," Whatever. I still love the character, but now I am getting tired of the bad presentation. Ah well, at least Carol is back! =D

Hope to hear the podcast next week!

Seldon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Seldon

An amusing podcast.

As far as the Moonstone argument goes I agree that she seems to be less scheming than I remember her being in the old Thunderbolts. I hope she really does have a snaky plan or two in the works unbeknownst to all. I am not a fan of obedient soldier-esk Moonstone.

English (not Welsh) person’s view - Pronunciate is not a word :)

Tom_1994

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#29  Edited By Tom_1994

LOVE IT!! But why not one this week? is it something to do with thanksgiving?