Posted by G-Man (32413 posts) - - Show Bio

Good grief?

The Peanuts gang is coming to a theater near you on November 6, 2015. While many may be most familiar with the Charlie Brown Halloween and Christmas specials, there have been several feature length animated adventures. With the success of other recent animated movies and revivals, it makes perfect sense that we'd see the Peanuts on the large screen. Of course, that means they'll be getting an upgrade in terms of the animation.

Check out the teaser trailer from 20th Century Fox.

I have to admit, I'm a little on the fence with this direction. Yes, this is just a teaser trailer but moving towards a CG route, while expected, is a little sad. I did show this to my daughter before she headed off to school and she showed some interest. So it might just be the older generation, who the movie might not necessarily be geared towards, that will have a problem with the change. I do like the slight mix of the CG with the hand drawn details.

What are your thoughts on the Peanuts coming to the big screen next year and how do you feel about this look?

Source: PeanutsMovie.com

Staff
#1 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33019 posts) - - Show Bio

Hm I'm not a fan of the 2D CGI, it looks weird. Why not just have it hand drawn?

#2 Posted by ThePRez (279 posts) - - Show Bio

awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

#3 Posted by G-Man (32413 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonny_anonymous: I'm wondering if it's easier/cheaper? It is what the kids these days are probably more used to. I'm definitely open to a new interpretation. It's unfortunate that it has to be different but hopefully they'll retain the feel of the characters. That's the main thing.

Staff
#4 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33019 posts) - - Show Bio

@g_man: Well when I was reading interviews by the creators of Beware the Batman they said it's actually more expensive making CGI cartoons.

#5 Posted by judasnixon (6489 posts) - - Show Bio

Wump wump wump wump wump wump wump wump wump wump........

#6 Posted by Farkam (4877 posts) - - Show Bio

Meh, I've never been into Peanuts.

#7 Edited by ccraft (5202 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks great.

When I seen the link on fb I instantly remembered I used to eat this ice cream lol.

#8 Edited by StMichalofWilson (3761 posts) - - Show Bio

Awesome!

#9 Posted by The Stegman (23931 posts) - - Show Bio

I was hoping for live action...

#10 Posted by Bigwalt (59 posts) - - Show Bio

Can't wait!

#11 Posted by maxicere (936 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks awesome !

#12 Edited by HubrisRanger (144 posts) - - Show Bio

I really love this art direction, it has a softness to it that the source material benefits from. Yes those holiday specials are also works of art in their own right, and the music usage is making reference there, but I think new isn't always bad.Lets just hope the rest of the tone fits, and doesn't shoot for the broad, hyperkinect humor that is more the rage to Schulz quiet human moments.

#13 Edited by Jonny_Anonymous (33019 posts) - - Show Bio
#14 Posted by mak13131313 (549 posts) - - Show Bio

I like it!

#16 Posted by Vaeternus (9410 posts) - - Show Bio

lol 2015? :(

#17 Posted by iaconpoint (1363 posts) - - Show Bio

I love the cgi with hand drawn effects. I'm all over this movie! With gusto!

#18 Posted by AirDave817 (809 posts) - - Show Bio

I like Peanuts! This could be kinda cool. November of next year! Good grief, I can't wait!

#19 Edited by Protoflash (130 posts) - - Show Bio

I think the animation is a nice meet between the new and the old. Plus based off the teaser they at least got the spirit of the peanuts in the movie (so far) so right now I'm looking forward to it

#21 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (12946 posts) - - Show Bio
#22 Posted by Bigwalt (59 posts) - - Show Bio

This is glorious news! Now everybody dance!

#23 Posted by SUPER-MAN 23 (1999 posts) - - Show Bio

Happy that this is happening. Now all we need is a good Speed Racer movie.

#24 Posted by AmazingWebHead (1849 posts) - - Show Bio

Not sure whether I should be excited or terrified...

Happy that this is happening. Now all we need is a good Speed Racer movie.

You mean like one that makes Speed himself a more interesting character? And where Racer X doesn't always let him win so his victories aren't cheap? Oh, wait, that's the one that they did.

#25 Posted by fables87 (974 posts) - - Show Bio

CUTE!

#26 Posted by DoomGuy (772 posts) - - Show Bio

YES!.... bout time they make a comeback.

#27 Posted by Child_Karl (27 posts) - - Show Bio

They didn't give Charlie Brown a cowlick like Dreamworks did for Sherman in the Mr. Peabody movie so I'm interested already.

#29 Posted by Cuboid (145 posts) - - Show Bio

Am I the only one who thinks that Charlie Brown's hair looks disturbing with this animation?

#30 Edited by Paste_Pot_Pete (105 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks better than what I thought, but still should be hand-drawn.

#31 Posted by Kal'smahboi (3509 posts) - - Show Bio

This made me so happy.

#32 Posted by Jonez120 (4137 posts) - - Show Bio

If this doesn't gross like 7 billion dollars I will exterminate all humans..

You've been warned.

#33 Posted by MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg (2230 posts) - - Show Bio
#34 Posted by MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg (2230 posts) - - Show Bio
#35 Edited by davidgrantlloyd (343 posts) - - Show Bio

I love Peanuts! I've got few of the archive collections but I'll have to get a few more! Anyway, I'll go see the new movie! Thank goodness it's not in live action!

BTW my favourite Peanut features beforehand were: 'A Boy Named Charlie Brown' and 'Be My Valentine, Charlie Brown'

#36 Posted by MannEffest (1279 posts) - - Show Bio

My inner five year old is so happy :p

"Hawkeye?… I guess he's excited to!"

#37 Edited by Smart_Dork_Dude (2633 posts) - - Show Bio

THIS IS CHILDHOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh how good it feels to see Snoopy and Charlie Brown and hear that music and it NOT be an insurance commercial.

#38 Posted by Druminator (1 posts) - - Show Bio

Love that animation.

#39 Posted by Onemoreposter (4021 posts) - - Show Bio

Ah. This might be one he whole family has to go see. We were always very big fans of the peanuts specials coming up. My sisters collected stuffed Snoopies when they were kids and we have all sorts of ornaments and decorations with Peanuts themes.

#40 Posted by VaizD (249 posts) - - Show Bio

I NEED THIS.

#41 Posted by ThatGuyWithHeadPhones (10874 posts) - - Show Bio

Not feeling the animation

#42 Posted by Dedpool (323 posts) - - Show Bio

BOUT DAMNED TIME!!! I love the animation. Gives the old school feel but with CGI 3D depth and details like fur and grass. Can't Wait!!!

#43 Posted by kilowog52 (453 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow! I had no idea they were making this into a movie! I love the comic strip.