Posted by inferiorego (26855 posts) - - Show Bio

The Good

ORIGINAL SIN #6 does a fine job at keeping the reader invested in the overall story, even when the book is slow paced and doesn't move forward very much. It features Marvel's top characters and the idea of everyone having a terrible secret is enough to get folks coming back for seconds and thirds.

The focus of this issue is on Nick Fury, who walks the thin line of sanity. He has a mission that he needs to accomplish and he's going to do it with or without the help of some of Earth's mightiest heroes. What writer Jason Aaron does extremely well is capture this new and older version of Nick Fury through his dialogue. He's sympathetic and compelling, up to a point, and while this issue is dialogue heavy, it's all written very well. More revelations develop with Fury that will have readers moving forward to the next issue, regardless of how the overall issue plays out.

The art in this issue is wonderful. Mike Deodato, along with Frank Martin on colors, has some interesting page set-ups and panel layouts that give this book and identity just as much as the writing does. He takes artistic liberties with how panels are placed and flow on the page without sacrificing the storytelling. Whether it's an action sequence or people standing around talking, the art here looks fantastic as a whole, especially the colors.

The Bad

When it comes to moving the story along, this issue does so at a snail's pace. The last issue gave the reader every little tid-bit of knowledge when it comes to what Nick Fury has been up to, but all-in-all, ORIGINAL SIN #6 leaves more questions than answers by the time the reader finishes the issue.

So much of the first few pages of this issue are recap. Characters spend more time retelling the events of ORIGINAL SIN than actually moving the story forward. Those who have been reading the series since the beginning will get an innate sense of deja vu through the first half of the book. This issue doesn't pick up until about halfway through, and even then, the book leaves more questions than answers. ORIGINAL SIN is an event that can frustrate the reader because it strings them along. I have a feeling that the last issue is going to dump all the answers right on the reader.

The Verdict

ORIGINAL SIN #6 isn't a bad read at all, and overall, the event has been pretty good. However, this past issue felt like 16 pages of recap and 4 pages of progression. So much of this issue relies heavily on characters telling each other what they already know, the story thus far of ORIGINAL SIN, and while it's all done very well, it's incredibly frustrating to not have this book more forward, especially after last issue's story which revealed a ton of stuff about Nick Fury. Keep reading this event though. It really is a ton of fun and this "ok" issue is not a reflection of the entire event.

#1 Posted by dagmar_merrill (9491 posts) - - Show Bio

So.. Do we find out who killed the Watcher?

#2 Posted by Master_Thief (774 posts) - - Show Bio

Who killed the watcher????

#3 Edited by Outside_85 (9552 posts) - - Show Bio

So.. Do we find out who killed the Watcher?

Who killed the watcher????

Funny you should ask that, so would Black Panther.

#4 Posted by dagmar_merrill (9491 posts) - - Show Bio

@outside_85: I guess I'll figure out what that means when I read this issue.

#5 Posted by saucygiraffe (38 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm kind of as frustrated as Panther, "who killed the watcher?" Also Strange's attitude is jarring when compared to his actions in the last issue of New Avengers. Not a complaint, just an observation.

#6 Posted by Xwraith (19378 posts) - - Show Bio

So they didn't reveal the killer?

#7 Posted by TommytheHitman (3310 posts) - - Show Bio

So... did they reveal who killed the Watcher?

#8 Edited by Rubear (562 posts) - - Show Bio

Prophet mod on: Bucky will be Nick Fury successor.

#9 Posted by TheCheeseStabber (8151 posts) - - Show Bio

@inferiorego So whose your favorite LMD of Nick Fury so far? :P

@rubear said:

That actually makes sense seeing as his new series is basically Furys Job

#10 Posted by danhimself (22628 posts) - - Show Bio

didn't they advertise this issue as the issue where we were supposed to be told who killed the Watcher?

#11 Edited by inferiorego (26855 posts) - - Show Bio

@inferiorego So whose your favorite LMD of Nick Fury so far? :P

@rubear said:

That actually makes sense seeing as his new series is basically Furys Job

Matilda.

#12 Posted by dagmar_merrill (9491 posts) - - Show Bio

didn't they advertise this issue as the issue where we were supposed to be told who killed the Watcher?

That's what i thought.

#13 Edited by danhimself (22628 posts) - - Show Bio

@danhimself said:

That's what i thought.

same here...we definitely didn't find out...unless I missed something while reading it

#14 Edited by mavfan626 (4139 posts) - - Show Bio

Moon Knight killed the watcher

#15 Edited by TheCheeseStabber (8151 posts) - - Show Bio
#16 Posted by Jayc1324 (12814 posts) - - Show Bio

Chill guys, it is too early to find out who killed the watcher.

#17 Posted by dagmar_merrill (9491 posts) - - Show Bio

@jayc1324 said:

How so?

#18 Posted by sophia89 (4211 posts) - - Show Bio

@jayc1324 said:

we are in issue 6 from 8.

when will it be the right time?

#19 Posted by Jayc1324 (12814 posts) - - Show Bio

@sophia89: probably next issue. They had to clear up all the nick fury crap first

#20 Posted by manwithoutshame (654 posts) - - Show Bio

I want Linkara to take this series apart.

#21 Posted by akbogert (3224 posts) - - Show Bio

Did I misinterpret the last page then? I thought that Fury holding both eyes implied that he had been the killer... or have I simply forgotten where the second eye (not the one they got off The Orb) came from?

#22 Posted by HumanRocket (8644 posts) - - Show Bio

Bucky will be next in line?

#23 Posted by ShadowSwordmaster (15601 posts) - - Show Bio

That is what it seems.

#24 Posted by HumanRocket (8644 posts) - - Show Bio

@humanrocket said:

That is what it seems.

It would also align well with the new WS series coming out later this year.

#25 Posted by ShadowSwordmaster (15601 posts) - - Show Bio

@shadowswordmaster said:

@humanrocket said:

That is what it seems.

Maybe this is an outcome from this event because I do think Fury is coming out of this alive.

#26 Posted by HumanRocket (8644 posts) - - Show Bio

@humanrocket said:

@shadowswordmaster said:

@humanrocket said:

That is what it seems.

Maybe this is an outcome from this event because I do think Fury is coming out of this alive.

I called Nick from day one ;)

#27 Posted by ShadowSwordmaster (15601 posts) - - Show Bio
#28 Posted by Teerack (7073 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh damn.

#29 Posted by Teerack (7073 posts) - - Show Bio

@akbogert said:

Did I misinterpret the last page then? I thought that Fury holding both eyes implied that he had been the killer... or have I simply forgotten where the second eye (not the one they got off The Orb) came from?

That wasn't Nick Fury. It was Cable.

#30 Posted by ShadowSwordmaster (15601 posts) - - Show Bio

@teerack said:

Oh damn.

I know right , things are about to hit the fan now.

#31 Posted by akbogert (3224 posts) - - Show Bio

@teerack: Was it? I guess I just thought he'd suddenly suited up or something. Problem with one-eyed old dudes...

...or maybe I'm just a particularly careless reader :/

#32 Edited by Teerack (7073 posts) - - Show Bio

@akbogert said:

@teerack: Was it? I guess I just thought he'd suddenly suited up or something. Problem with one-eyed old dudes...

...or maybe I'm just a particularly careless reader :/

Maybe it wasn't. I just thought it looked like him. Fury had the second eye its what led the orb to him. It was in that box he opened when torturing the orb.

#33 Posted by ArturoCalaKayVee (12023 posts) - - Show Bio

@teerack said:

@akbogert said:

That wasn't Nick Fury. It was Cable.

Completely incorrect. It was old man Fury.

#34 Posted by ArturoCalaKayVee (12023 posts) - - Show Bio
#35 Posted by Teerack (7073 posts) - - Show Bio

Completely incorrect. It was old man Fury.

You should have read the rest of our conversation.

#36 Posted by ShadowSwordmaster (15601 posts) - - Show Bio
#37 Posted by War Killer (20343 posts) - - Show Bio

While I'm excited to see where this series leads, I can't help but feel like Marvel already spoiled the ending in a sense. This issue reveals that Fury is looking for a successor who will continue his work as Earth's silent protector, which is why he has assembled this rag-tag team of heroes as he believes one of them will be the one who will succeed him.

But because Marvel already announced Bucky's new series, which will take place in space and involving Bucky traveling to various corners of the Marvel Universe, from random planets to even Asgard, on top of that having Fury literally knocking Bucky out as if he had "plans" for him, it seems that Fury has or at least will choose Bucky to succeed him.

Personally I'm super-excited if this turns out to be true, though it would have been nicer if Marvel hadn't spoiled it before the series was over.

#38 Edited by ILLO_29 (158 posts) - - Show Bio

Here's my mind blowing theory on who will takes Fury's place…

Wolverine, that's right. Think about it Wolvie's going to "die" in a couple of months, but he's not his death will be faked so he can go and be space cop and then bam a Cosmic Wolverine book.

#39 Posted by Xein01 (1 posts) - - Show Bio

Was I the only one that was put off by Dr. Strange and Black Panther taking the "moral high ground" and lecturing Fury over killing to save the Earth? I guess this creative team doesn't read New Avengers.

#40 Posted by arun8405 (1 posts) - - Show Bio

I came up with idea that Fury wanna take a place as Watcher by himself, So he can see everything that gonna happen and let his successor do the job.

#41 Edited by Ms-Lola (3218 posts) - - Show Bio

I wasn't impressed with this issue, and this goes for the whole story. It's jumbled and thick with just thickness. I can't explain it better than that. I do like the naming of Matilda (I should scan that page, haha) and I do like how Emma Frost was included in the group of people who Fury considered in the running as his replacement.

I agree with those who expressed a little disappointment with Marvel letting the cat out of the bag. This has Bucky written all over it.

@xein01 said:

Was I the only one that was put off by Dr. Strange and Black Panther taking the "moral high ground" and lecturing Fury over killing to save the Earth? I guess this creative team doesn't read New Avengers.

No, I thought the same.

@illo_29 said:

Here's my mind blowing theory on who will takes Fury's place…

Wolverine, that's right. Think about it Wolvie's going to "die" in a couple of months, but he's not his death will be faked so he can go and be space cop and then bam a Cosmic Wolverine book.

Way too clever for Marvel editorial to run with. I agree about it being mind-blowing (and a bit cool).

I'm reading this because it feels essential to the Marvel Universe at large, but to be annoyingly repetitive, I am not enjoying this part of the Original Sin story at all.