Avatar image for deranged_midget
Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

Edited By Deranged Midget

Alright, alright I'm back and I know as much as you guys hate my rants regarding the distate I carry for the largely unbearable Clark and Diana relationship that Geoff Johns is so eager to force feed down everyone's mouths, the latest issue of Superman -- number 14 to be exact -- left me curious about what DC is truly trying to sell.

It's no surprise to anyone that with the "rebooting" of the New 52, changes were to be made and separating Clark and Lois was the hardest hitting one of them all in regards to Superman. Now, I know some people appreciate the change, some cried out for the chance to allow Superman to stretch his legs, expand his horizons, etc -- but as of so far, little has been done to actually hold true to what they promised. For the majority of Superman's namesake title, we saw him sulking over Lois and her new "boy toy". Instead of trying to distance him from Lane as most fans would've assumed, they refused to do so and even hinted at a possible relationship between Clark and Lois' younger sister Lucy Lane. Great job at trying to distance the two characters DC and even if you tried to give them points for effort, the proposition of anything beyond friendship didn't even last beyond that last panel in Superman #12. It's kind of sad really, Clark really lacks any sort of chemistry with ALL the women that DC is trying to set him up with and the lack of build-up is quite disheartening.

Let me bring up the "relationship" that Diana and Clark have restrictively been sharing in the pages of Justice League. Besides putting aside the fact that in both Superman and Wonder Woman's main titles, each writer refuses to acknowledge the existence of said interaction between the two characters for the most part, little has been done to solidify the impact of what happened, nor does anyone really know about it. Selfishly enough and for reasons I'd rather not bring up again, it seems that Geoff Johns is eagerly trying to create this new "status quo" that he stated the two would be creating for the NewDCU and the example that everyone would apparently follow. Listen, I have nothing against Diana as a character. She's fantastically written by Azzarello in her namesake title and I'd like to keep it that way, but what Johns has been demonstrating in his Justice League title is hilariously annoying. But my distaste for John's work on team books is a story for another time.

Jumping back to Diana and Clark. Not once, in the entire series until the most recent issues (12-14), has there been any notable interaction between the two characters. A seemingly large amount of creepy stares emanating from Superman coupled with some apologetic moments and we're supposed to believe that these two can build together one of the most influential relationships in the New 52? Sorry, I'm not buying it.

And then we have the icing on top of the cake. In issue 12 -- after Steve's dismissal as the League's liaison -- Diana takes his reaction and the entire situation poorly. Clark does what he does best and attempts to comfort her with "relatable" words. And in turn, out of the blue, with absolutely no build up or chemistry shown, a kiss is produced. The kiss that has had everyone talking since it's debut. Things were pulled back a little in following issues with Diana referencing the kiss as just a "spur of the moment" type deal and most recently in Justice League #14, we have Clark trying to comfort Diana once again and push the boundaries of their relationship by giving her a tour of his hometown and showing her the inspiration for his heroics. Unfortunately, that built up moment was short-lived again and another forced kiss was produced, this time with the always acceptable creeping from Batman.

Enough of that and finally moving onto Lois. As of so far in the New 52, even when regarding Action Comics -- which takes place five years in the past for the most part -- Lois has never looked at Clark as more than a friend but for him, it's much more than that. He's tried to win her affections and he's made it clear on several occasions. Sadly, Lois has only ever shown interest in Superman, despite having been Clark's partner for over five years at the Daily Planet before it's overtaking by Morgan Edge. In the last two issues of Superman (13 and 14), it has been clearly shown that Lois has decided to make things serious with her boyfriend; Jonathan Carroll. Obviously, this bothers Clark greatly and more than likely influenced his departure from the Daily Planet.

With Superman #14, we finally see Clark admit his feelings for Lois (to himself of course), dictating that even with the shared kiss he had with Diana, his true feelings for Lois never faltered nor weakened.

No Caption Provided

It's interesting to note this because it seems that not every writer that will be penning Superman is interested in making the relationship between Clark and Diana a priority and it's clearly evident with this most recent issue. On top of that, future writers Andy Diggle and Scott Snyder have both expressed great interest in Lois Lane as a character and a focus on her and Clark will be prominent. Of course, Diana is brought up, but it seems not everyone is exactly on board with what Johns is planning.

Anyways, back to Lois and Clark. We see some fun banter between the two characters in this issue. Lois remarking that her relationship with Clark is strictly friendship, albeit a strong one according to her. Clark calls her out on this in regards to not informing him about the move with Jonathan. Some more banter is thrown back, accusing Clark for being naggy, etc. The point I'm trying to make here is that -- in this single issue alone, several pages at best -- there is more chemistry shown between Lois and Clark than there has been in the entire series of Justice League up to this point with Clark and Diana. That's a sad fact to point out and should be a warning sign to the Editorial team at DC. Lois' feelings might try to be prevalent here, but it seems more just like a cover for something that she refuses to accept about Clark, true feelings that she might be keeping well hidden. Oh and one more thing, Rocafort draws one absolutely gorgeous Lois Lane.

But hey, these are just my useless thoughts. Everyone has their own opinions and are free to speak them. I know I'm not the only one who dislikes the forced relationship between Wonder Woman and Superman, but there also might be plenty of you who hate the idea that Lois might be returning into Clark's life as more than just a friend. Whatever the case may be, I hope DC decides to stop pulling marketing stunts and appeal to the fans once again.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#1  Edited By Mercy_

Amazingly written blog and I could not agree more with everything said.

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Deranged Midget

@Mercy_: Your kind words bring warmth to my damp, cold heart. :P

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#3  Edited By Mercy_

@Deranged Midget: That's what I'm here for :D

Prepare for the ZOMG SUPES AND DIANA ARE LYKE TOTES DA BEST EVAR backlash :p

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Deranged Midget

@Mercy_: <3

I'm always prepared! CLOIS FOR LYFE Y'ALL!

*insert come at me meme*

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By lykopis

The sooner Super Spandex gets his grubby hands off of Wonder Woman, the better.

Oh, and Lois is no Diana.

(What? Someone had to say it.)

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SandMan_

Lame...

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Deranged Midget

@SandMan_ said:

Lame...

And so it begins... :)

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Deranged Midget

@lykopis said:

Super Sp... WOAH, a little far there don't ya think?

Hey now, I never bashed Diana... I just stated that whatever they are "supposed" to have, is hilariously dull.

Clark and Lois on the other hand actually emanate chemistry. But then again, you could always chalk it up to Johns' writing...

Xanni15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Xanni15

Amazing post, make this man Staff already. Author of some of the best blogs and reviews on the site.

Here's DM's feelings regarding WW/Superman:

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Deranged Midget

@Xanni15: You... Stop that!

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ssejllenrad

Great read! I disagree though. But very great read, indeed. Very well written DM!

@SandMan_ said:

Lame...

You really aren't a fan of Lois, are ya?

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Deranged Midget

@ssejllenrad: Thanks for reading mate, I really appreciate it :) And it's perfectly fine that you disagree, we all have differing opinions!

Mattersuit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Mattersuit

Lois and Clark forever. That is all.

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Deranged Midget

@Mattersuit: Excellent... We amass more followers!

MUAHAHA!

Mattersuit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Mattersuit

@Deranged Midget said:

@Mattersuit: Excellent... We amass more followers!

MUAHAHA!

Want to respond, but said 'that is all' in last post...

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Deranged Midget

@Mattersuit: Do not fret, you've spoken all that need be said my friend.

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By lykopis

@Deranged Midget said:

@lykopis said:

Super Sp... WOAH, a little far there don't ya think?

Hey now, I never bashed Diana... I just stated that whatever they are "supposed" to have, is hilariously dull.

Clark and Lois on the other hand actually emanate chemistry. But then again, you could always chalk it up to Johns' writing...

Well you see, to a n00b like me?

Having Superman and Wonder Woman suddenly turn to each other as lonely, misunderstood super-powered beings benefits more Clark than it does DIana. She has more than enough suitable potential lovers in her own world (thank you Azzarello) but that's not what makes her character intriguing. This Johns fellow? By forcing this "tryst" through, he is doing more harm than good to Superman. While I have no love for Lois Lane (that's for another day) -- just having him mope over her (most amazing woman in the world? Really?) is bad enough -- but to bring in sister Lucy and then oh --- lookee there, what about that woman who has other Justice Leaguers calling "dibs" on? One after the other -- the poor boy, so many women, what to do, what to do...

Just having Superman ponder about Wonder Woman and Lois in the same conversation is unsetting (I am being nice here). You seem to be very concerned for your gorgeously drawn Lois -- nice avatar by the way -- and while I don't disagree about her and Clark's "tension", to compare it to the lack of it with Wonder Woman is a reflection on Clark.

I suppose it all comes down to which character's perspective comes through. Superman is in flux --- his big boy crush on Lois seems fated for unrequited angst so his turning to another woman would make sense. Why those in charge at DC felt it was okay to make it Wonder Woman -- WONDER WOMAN --- I just can't get. It's onions to apples. (hint --- Wonder Woman is the apple).

My concern with this coupling (as temporary as it going to be) is that an iconic character who hasn't been defined for her romantic life in her own on-going ( -- ugh, poor Steve) has been presented as some replacement/distraction.fill-in for an under thirty, Pulitzer-prize winning, Emmy nominated character; the tough talking, sassy reporter who-needs-no-man-to-make-her-happy-but-yet-carried-a-torch-for-the-mightiest-super-hero-on-Earth-who-is-getting-serious-with-another-man.

:)

Xanni15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By Xanni15

@Deranged Midget:

Mattersuit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Mattersuit

@Deranged Midget said:

No Caption Provided
jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#20  Edited By jrock85

Geoff Johns is quickly becoming the Michael Bay of comics.

jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By jrock85

@Mattersuit said:

@Deranged Midget said:

No Caption Provided

LOL I love it!

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Deranged Midget

@lykopis said:

Well you see, to a n00b like me?

Having Superman and Wonder Woman suddenly turn to each other as lonely, misunderstood super-powered beings benefits more Clark than it does DIana. She has more than enough suitable potential lovers in her own world (thank you Azzarello) but that's not what makes her character intriguing. This Johns fellow? By forcing this "tryst" through, he is doing more harm than good to Superman. While I have no love for Lois Lane (that's for another day) -- just having him mope over her (most amazing woman in the world? Really?) is bad enough -- but to bring in sister Lucy and then oh --- lookee there, what about that woman who has other Justice Leaguers calling "dibs" on? One after the other -- the poor boy, so many women, what to do, what to do...

Alas, another person who understands my stand-point regarding how confusing the origins of this relationships has been. Like I stated, Azzarello has done fantastic work with Diana in her namesake title and honestly, comparing that version of Diana to the one Johns seems to be writing in Justice League is almost justifiably criminal.

Just having Superman ponder about Wonder Woman and Lois in the same conversation is unsetting (I am being nice here). You seem to be very concerned for your gorgeously drawn Lois -- nice avatar by the way -- and while I don't disagree about her and Clark's "tension", to compare it to the lack of it with Wonder Woman is a reflection on Clark.

Yes yes, I adore Rocafort's art... I compared the lack of chemistry between Diana and Clark to Lois and Clark because it's painfully obvious. Listen, I would have absolutely no problem with them being together if it was for a purpose. But so far to me, a purpose is lacking and therefore, I'm not buying it. Honestly, it seems more of a publicity stunt to sell more comics, to get more notice than anything.

I suppose it all comes down to which character's perspective comes through. Superman is in flux --- his big boy crush on Lois seems fated for unrequited angst so his turning to another woman would make sense. Why those in charge at DC felt it was okay to make it Wonder Woman -- WONDER WOMAN --- I just can't get. It's onions to apples. (hint --- Wonder Woman is the apple).

Interesting perspective indeed. Although, I don't think it's so much that he's turning his attention to Diana to rid himself of angst as it is lack of cooperation on the DC editorial team. Evidently, not everyone is happy with the situation but the New 52 was apparently brought around to usher in "New" change and so far, I fail to see any. The creative direction Johns has taken with these two -- in a team book of all places -- makes little sense to me. Not enough focus can be put on the two of them and if DC is truly aiming to create a permanent power couple between the two, then they better start dedicating some face time for Diana and Clark because right now, it's awkward at best.

My concern with this coupling (as temporary as it going to be) is that an iconic character who hasn't been defined for her romantic life in her own on-going ( -- ugh, poor Steve) has been presented as some replacement/distraction.fill-in for an under thirty, Pulitzer-prize winning, Emmy nominated character; the tough talking, sassy reporter who-needs-no-man-to-make-her-happy-but-yet-carried-a-torch-for-the-mightiest-super-hero-on-Earth-who-is-getting-serious-with-another-man.

:)

Completely agreed in regards to Diana. Romance hasn't been a defining priority for her in the namesake title and it's a point I brought up. Whatever Johns is attempting to do, it isn't translating into her title nor with Clark's. As mentioned before, I'd be up for seeing a relationship between Clark and Diana become permanent or long-lasting, but it'd have to be for a purpose, it'd have to have meaning. Give the characters a reason to care for each other and make it necessary to care for them.

Amazing post by the way.

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#23  Edited By The_Ghostshell

<------Team SuperShip. Superman/Clark and Lois was the single most boring relationship in history. Awesome blog by the way but me personally, I wouldnt care if Lois disappeared from Superman continuity/canon all together. Her best appearances came in Flashpoint where it just so happens she had no connection to Superman. Lois and Clark together are boring, predictable, and stagnant. Anytime you get to feeling sad and nostalgic for the Superman/Lois Ship, go visit an old folks home and you'll get just as much of an emotional jolt I promise. I'd rather watch paint dry then have to muscle through the yawn fest that was Superman and Lois together.

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Deranged Midget

@Gambler said:

<------Team SuperShip. Superman/Clark and Lois was the single most boring relationship in history. Awesome blog by the way but me personally, I wouldnt care if Lois disappeared from Superman continuity/canon all together. Her best appearances came in Flashpoint where it just so happens she had no connection to Superman. Lois and Clark together are boring, predictable, and stagnant. Anytime you get to feeling sad and nostalgic for the Superman/Lois Ship, go visit an old folks home and you'll get just as much of an emotional jolt I promise. I'd rather watch paint dry then have to muscle through the yawn fest that was Superman and Lois together.

Excellent post and I am inclined to agree. I am all for change but the point of my post was that considering that DC was aiming for a change of pace in Clark's romantic life, it's kind of sad that a single issue boasted more chemistry between two characters that are supposed to unavailable towards each other, than the relationship that is being so hard-pressed to become the shining example in the New 52.

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By The_Ghostshell

@Deranged Midget said:

@Gambler said:

Excellent post and I am inclined to agree. I am all for change but the point of my post was that considering that DC was aiming for a change of pace in Clark's romantic life, it's kind of sad that a single issue boasted more chemistry between two characters that are supposed to unavailable towards each other, than the relationship that is being so hard-pressed to become the shining example in the New 52.

I think that might be the goal to be honest. And its sad for Wonder Woman but it feels as though she's simply the stand in. Fans have always wondered or hoped for a WW/Superman Ship so the New 52 gives them that but I think the real purpose is for fans to start to miss Lois and Superman together. So they ship him with Wonder Woman and press it hardcore (lets be honest, WW could use the attention), but then subtly drop these little exchanges between Superman and Lois. Fans start thinking to themselves, damn, I kinda miss them. Beyond death there was really only one direction the Superman/Lois dynamic could go and that was for him to be with someone else while the DCU slowly lets a new generation of fans see them connect for the first time. Or maybe I'm giving them to much credit but thats the story I'm rolling with :P

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Deranged Midget

@Gambler said:

I think that might be the goal to be honest. And its sad for Wonder Woman but it feels as though she's simply the stand in. Fans have always wondered or hoped for a WW/Superman Ship so the New 52 gives them that but I think the real purpose is for fans to start to miss Lois and Superman together. So they ship him with Wonder Woman and press it hardcore (lets be honest, WW could use the attention), but then subtly drop these little exchanges between Superman and Lois. Fans start thinking to themselves, damn, I kinda miss them. Beyond death there was really only one direction the Superman/Lois dynamic could go and that was for him to be with someone else while the DCU slowly lets a new generation of fans see them connect for the first time. Or maybe I'm giving them to much credit but thats the story I'm rolling with :P

Haha, that's quite the conspiracy theory you've built up there. But as I mentioned earlier, I just think it's the lack of complete agreement between creative teams. I mean, Johns kind of did just jump in and lay down the law stating that this is the new status quo and it's to be followed. Obviously, Azzarello and Lobdell didn't get the message and much rather stick with writing their own stories. I mean, Diana is being written fantastically in her namesake title. I couldn't even begin to imagine how Clark could be fit in at all. I was a fan of Lois and Clark pre-52, chalk it up to nostalgia since I grew up with it. But when the New 52 was announced, I was all for change because perhaps, it was something that was needed. but as of right now -- the relationship between Clark and Diana -- if it is to be taken seriously, better preparation and care should be taken in regards to how they share their encounters rather than forcing each one.

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Deranged Midget

@Xanni15: As always sir, you are far too kind :)

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By The_Ghostshell

@Deranged Midget said:

@Gambler said:

Haha, that's quite the conspiracy theory you've built up there. But as I mentioned earlier, I just think it's the lack of complete agreement between creative teams. I mean, Johns kind of did just jump in and lay down the law stating that this is the new status quo and it's to be followed. Obviously, Azzarello and Lobdell didn't get the message and much rather stick with writing their own stories. I mean, Diana is being written fantastically in her namesake title. I couldn't even begin to imagine how Clark could be fit in at all. I was a fan of Lois and Clark pre-52, chalk it up to nostalgia since I grew up with it. But when the New 52 was announced, I was all for change because perhaps, it was something that was needed. but as of right now -- the relationship between Clark and Diana -- if it is to be taken seriously, better preparation and care should be taken in regards to how they share their encounters rather than forcing each one.

Maybe. I dont know whats going on beyond the scenes as far whether or not Johns is laying down the law like an evil Taskmaster lol but its not a stretch by any means. Diana is being written fantastically but thats never really been her problem. Her problem is (in the past) her title was so isolated. You never really saw her villains crossing over into other titles and you only had a handful of characters crossing over into hers. I would love to see them introduce Superman into her title and explore the relationship from that angle and see her supporting cast interacting with Sups and vise versa. I'm hoping the encounters start to feel more organic as time goes on. I cant imagine the pressure writers must feel when trying to build a romantic relationship between two of the World's most recognizable and iconic characters. They might be trying to hard and as a result it feels forced and unnatural. Or maybe like I said, she's just a stand in and the real agenda is to build a relationship with Clark and Lois cause ultimately thats what fans wanna see. Have to wait and see how it plays out I guess.

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Deranged Midget

@Gambler said:

Maybe. I dont know whats going on beyond the scenes as far whether or not Johns is laying down the law like an evil Taskmaster lol but its not a stretch by any means. Diana is being written fantastically but thats never really been her problem. Her problem is (in the past) her title was so isolated. You never really saw her villains crossing over into other titles and you only had a handful of characters crossing over into hers. I would love to see them introduce Superman into her title and explore the relationship from that angle and see her supporting cast interacting with Sups and vise versa. I'm hoping the encounters start to feel more organic as time goes on. I cant imagine the pressure writers must feel when trying to build a romantic relationship between two of the World's most recognizable and iconic characters. They might be trying to hard and as a result it feels forced and unnatural. Or maybe like I said, she's just a stand in and the real agenda is to build a relationship with Clark and Lois cause ultimately thats what fans wanna see. Have to wait and see how it plays out I guess.

See, that's where it would bother me the most. Doing all of this, putting in all this effort only for it to be temporary? A stand-in for Lois? Diana is a powerful, independent character and she doesn't deserve the low level treatment of being tossed aside so easily if it came down to it. If DC truly wants this to be the new status quo, then they should fully commit to this. As you said, branch each character off into their respective titles, have them share adventures together. Hell, start up a separate on-going for just the two of them. I'd much rather read that than Superman/Batman. And like I said, one of the biggest problems for me here was that none of their "chemistry" -- and I use that term loosely -- was organic nor fluid. It all felt mechanic, forced and un-wanting. Make it something that readers fall in love with, make it interesting, give the characters purpose and in turn, people will accept change.

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By The_Ghostshell

@Deranged Midget said:

See, that's where it would bother me the most. Doing all of this, putting in all this effort only for it to be temporary? A stand-in for Lois? Diana is a powerful, independent character and she doesn't deserve the low level treatment of being tossed aside so easily if it came down to it. If DC truly wants this to be the new status quo, then they should fully commit to this. As you said, branch each character off into their respective titles, have them share adventures together. Hell, start up a separate on-going for just the two of them. I'd much rather read that than Superman/Batman. And like I said, one of the biggest problems for me here was that none of their "chemistry" -- and I use that term loosely -- was organic nor fluid. It all felt mechanic, forced and un-wanting. Make it something that readers fall in love with, make it interesting, give the characters purpose and in turn, people will accept change.

Just because she'd be part of a plan to one day re-unite Lois and Clark doesnt mean she's getting low level treatment. Nor does it mean she'll be tossed aside with no regard. There are a ton of possible ways to end the relationship without just dumping WW on the side of the road (its Wonder Woman, we all know that would never happen). I also dont subscribe to the notion that WW and Superman's relationship has to be a holy grail of unions. If Superman and Wonder Woman's relationship is part of a bigger story that one day sees the new 52 version of Lois and Clark together then there is no reason to think the DCU wont commit to it. Its not a mutually exclusive thing were if Superman is one day going to end up with Lois as a result of his relationship with Wonder Woman, then the Wonder Woman Superman relationship wont be committed to in the mean time. You can have both. I actually thought their first encounter and kiss was awesome and had all the chemistry I needed to make it believable. The second was a little flat but maybe thats a good thing. Not all relationships start off with this natural chemistry and birds singing and rainbows overhead lol. Maybe they need time to grow and as the relationship forms, so will the opinion of the fans. It could have just been lack of a romantic writer I dont know. Two encounters though isnt enough for me to call it one way or the other. I think alot of fans are expecting the lovey dynamic he had with Lois and if thats the case they may be in for some disappointment. Those two had decades to form an organic feel and who knows if thats how it was originally. I never read the first Superman issue where he and Lois get romantic. It may have felt just as forced and mechanical as this.....

jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By jrock85

@Deranged Midget said:

@Gambler said:

Honestly, I don't think the higher ups at WB are going to allow Clark/Diana to become the new status quo. They spent a buttload of money on Man of Steel and got a decorated actress to play the role of Lois, and I'm certain that they'll be looking to get more licensing deals that involve Clark/Lois.

Also, If Scott Snyder is a part of "Team Lois" as I've heard, then it would behoove DC to let him develop the Clark/Lois romance -- considering that he's the guy with the hot hand right now. Not to mention that Wonder Woman's solo title is widely considered to be one of the few saving graces of the New 52, and Brian Azzarello has emphatically stated that he's not going to touch the SM/WW romance because it doesn't line up with his vision for the character.

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By The_Ghostshell

@jrock85: I didnt know, or wasnt aware, that Brian Azzarello had stated that. I'm kind of sad now to be honest. Kind of changes my perspective lol

jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By jrock85

@Gambler: I was actually overjoyed by it. ^_^

That's one of things that make Wonder Woman's solo title so enjoyable: its self-contained and feels removed from the rest of the DCU.

Since we're on the subject of conspiracy theories, I was thinking that this SM/WW hookup could all be part of an elaborate ruse to build Steve Trevor up until he's seen as "worthy" of Diana, but I seriously doubt that those idiots at DC would put that much thought in to it. ;)

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By The_Ghostshell

@jrock85 said:

@Gambler:

That's one of things that make Wonder Woman's solo title so enjoyable: its self-contained and feels removed from the rest of the DCU.

I'm just the opposite (I mean I love the New 52 WW title) but I've never loved the segregation that seems to be a staple of her title throughout the years. And I think its handicapped her character as far as marketability. When you have multiple Superman movies, multiple Batman movies, even a Green Lantern movie, all before a single Wonder Woman movie there is a problem. She cant even get a decent TV series going. Its because no one outside her core fanbase cares. If her title was more connected to the DCU the casual reader may take notice. Or not, maybe she just cant get right lol

jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By jrock85

@Gambler said:

I'm just the opposite (I mean I love the New 52 WW title) but I've never loved the segregation that seems to be a staple of her title throughout the years.

I guess that's just a matter of personal taste.

I disagree that being segregated from the rest of the DCU has hurt her in terms of marketability; she was created to be a stand alone character with her own franchise and should be treated as such. I do agree that there should be more aggressive attempts at adapting her into other media, such as film and television. Hopefully this proposed CW series will pan out.

Bruxae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#36  Edited By Bruxae

Superman can date who he wants, just keep his dirty hands off Diana! :( Shes a virgin. *lalalala I cant hear you lalalala*

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 10

#37  Edited By Strider1992

I always thought Wonder Woman and Superman getting together would be predictable and generic.....I was right!

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#38  Edited By Magian

A well written thread indeed. Now while, Lois and Clark are one of the most iconic comic book couples. But since they are not together after the reboot, and Lois don't even see in any romantic way (at least from the little I read before stop reading comics), I wouldn't mind him seeing him geting together with WW. They do make a nice couple and it is relationship that has been explored several times in the past in several non-canon stories like Kingdom Come and those stories by Millar (forgot the title) and I am sure a lot of people would like to see it happening in the canon. But even if things ever do get serious, doubt that we will ever see something like marriage or kids in the future, mostly because as I said earlier Lois and Clark as such an iconic couple and they are expected to be back together sooner or later.

Also they actually to hook up Clark with Lucy? Really?

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#39  Edited By Lvenger

An excellently written blog post mate and one with which I wholly agree with! Superman and Wonder Woman's relationship so far has been generic, bland and not enough has been done to make the characters connect intimately It's one of the main reasons I'm dropping Justice League as Johns is finally writing something I don't like to read. Now whilst I don't want Superman to get back with Lois (yet) I'd have preferred Superman to be with a new love interest. Like JMS did with Superman: Earth One, Volume 2. Superman and Wonder Woman isn't new. It's been explored in almost every Elseworlds story as well as it being teased in the post crisis continuity. If DC want to freshen up Superman's love life, they should give him someone new to date. Not Lucy Lane though. That was lame as hell.

krspaceT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 13

#40  Edited By krspaceT

Honestly......its not that bad. At least they are in the awkard, begining phase (Super and Wonder) as oppose to how Emma and Cyclops went after Jean died....again.

Johns is taking his time with it.....more than Marvel anyway.

Dracade102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#41  Edited By Dracade102

@Bruxae said:

Superman can date who he wants, just keep his dirty hands off Diana! :( Shes a virgin. *lalalala I cant hear you lalalala*

Superman probably is too. What's your beef against him?

Avatar image for deactivated-5a891a2851f09
deactivated-5a891a2851f09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Mattersuit said:

@Deranged Midget said:

No Caption Provided

I'm going to have to echo this sentiment

It's a very well-written blog but to be honest, I can't even bring myself to read this recent stuff at DC. With problems like this in the stories they are trying to make, it's just embarrassing.

Bruxae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#43  Edited By Bruxae

@Dracade102 said:

@Bruxae said:

No beef, I just dont want anyone to touch Diana!

Kal'smahboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Kal'smahboi

t@Dracade102 said:

@Bruxae said:

You think so? He's from a small Midwest town. There's only two things to do in towns like that: drink and...
Kal'smahboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Kal'smahboi
@Deranged Midget: Also, terrific post. I think Clark looking elsewhere while Lois is occupied is fine, but I'm glad Lobdell is focusing on the Clark/Lois relationship.
primebonnick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By primebonnick

bump

well written and analyzed.

The one thing that caught that you wrote is how the writer's still make him pine over lois even though he should be moving to distance himself from her. I so agree i always thought the new 52 would attempt this in the first few years, but damn they just made it already clear that he wants her. Sigh Let the guy explore hell even bruce has talia and selina and spidey has MJ and blackcat.

I know supes and lois will get together again, but come on don't let the guy pine over her like so pathetic fool. This is one of the reasons why i support him and diana couple thing. I know they will break up but jesus let the guy enjoy himself with another woman and achieve a good bond.

Still i think they should have let him date maxima when she appears again instead of diana, but why not. Its a working progress so i don't think its as bad as many fans make it out to be. Especially now that both have lost their parents and are still adjusting to each other.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Superman is better off without Lois Lane in his life. So are us readers.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Superman is better off without Lois Lane in his life. So are us readers.

This is true.