Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Edited By Vortex13

My Pick List for Zombie Survival Necessities

(In no particular order)

1. Flint Fire Starter. 

No Caption Provided

This will start fires affectively even when wet. By scrapping the flint with any rough metal, or even the edge of a coin, it will admit a large amount of sparks that will allow you to ignite whatever dry brush you may find.

2. A Good Heavy/Long Machete.

No Caption Provided
This will allow you not only clear away brush and branches that lay in your path but it also makes for a very handy zombie dispatching weapon, because of it’s weight and fairly easy to handle nature. The weight and length of it allow there to deliver a higher amount of force than a smaller blade.

3. A Multi Purpose tool that includes at the very least a shovel, an axe and a saw, Such as this,

No Caption Provided

This will allow you to dig holes to dig latrines, saw logs and branches, and if need be chop would, but it would be recommendable to saw instead of chop as an axe will make more noise that will carry for a distance. Perhaps an unwanted group of the undead scourge. The axe would be predominantly for the purpose of self defense.

4. Water Purifying Tablets, like these,

No Caption Provided

This will allow you to drink stagnate water with less risk of contracting some sort of illness. Warning: DO NOT THINK THIS WILL PROTECT YOU FROM ZOMBIE INFECTION! Though these will help to drink water that may carry unwanted bacteria it will not protect you if there happen to be rotting undead corpses that have been in the water. Remember there is no cure from infection.

5. Grappling Hook and Rope.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

This will be useful if you need to get up a tree or a small cliff, and of course rope is very handy and can be used for a multitude of different task. However be careful with the rope you select, it must be strong enough to lift you up but you shouldn’t carry so much that it slows you down. For this reason I would recommend either braided nylon rope, or parachute cord, seeing that the later is much harder to find you will be heavier which means you will not be able carry as much of it. I would recommend at least 50ft of it. Trust me when I tell you that it is very handy, but again if it is too heavy go with less rope make sure you can mover freely. If you are lucky enough to find parachute cord, count your blessing because it is extremely strong and relatively light weight so you will be able to carry much more lengths of rope.

6. A portable hammock that does not need to be screwed in but simply tied.

No Caption Provided

This will be quite hand it will be easy to carry, easy to set up, and if you use the previously stated rope and grappling hook to get yourself higher in a tree, you will be much safer sleeping than you would be if you were on the ground. I would recommend you use some sort of strapping method so you do not fall out while you sleep.

7. Food.

No Caption Provided

MRE’s are military rations, MRE stands for meals ready to eat. These are handy as they have a long shelf life. I would also advise canned goods. Never get any perishables and do not count on Mother Nature to provide, she can be a cruel mistress and in a zombie induced apocalypse most animals will have departed do to fear of being eaten alive. (Even though zombies favorite meal is from the living flesh it once was, I.E. man flesh.)

8. A first aid kit

No Caption Provided

Now some of you may scoff at the ides that this as a necessity, after all there is no cure to a zombie bite. However you can get injuries from more then just zombies. You could slip climbing a cliff and tear your leg open. And if you have an open wound not caused by a zombie, you may die yet or get infected as a result of not treating and dressing this wound. It may not help a zombie infection, but that is not the only kind of infection, or wound you can get walking through tough terrain or demolished city streets.

Now this list is simply what you would need to survive, not what you would need to be on the offensive. Obviously some of the items I mentioned can be used for offensive purposes, but this list is simply recommended objects that would be quite useful in keeping ahead of the zombie scum, as will as avoid confrontation by being safe, and being clever.

I wish you all good luck when the zombie plague inevitably arises

Darkseid Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Darkseid Elite

All I need 

TheBatman586

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By TheBatman586

Those are some good survival tools, but this is all I'd need:

Vortex13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Vortex13
@TheBatman586: @Darkseid Elite: Both of those would be highly useful, but I'm going with real world objects       : P. I'll do a list of offensive objects at another point in time, feel free to come up with ones you think I missed, which I'm sure I did.
Avatar image for texasdeathmatch
texasdeathmatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By texasdeathmatch

All I need:

No Caption Provided
danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By danhimself
@Vortex13: Good list...you were on the way to making it a great list but you should look for more multipurpose tools...things that serve not only offensive needs but practical needs as well

No Caption Provided

such as the Crovel
Named for its mashup of a shovel and crowbar, the Crovel also serves as a saw, axe, hammer, bottle opener, and more, letting you pack lighter while preserving maximum utility. Just don't let it fall into the wrong hands — if an axe murderer is deadly with his namesake weapon, imagine the damage he could inflict with this thing.

or the 
No Caption Provided

If you can only carry one tool for personal defense/burglary, make it the Ka-Bar Becker TacTool ($140). The result of a collaboration between John Benner of the Tactical Defense Institute and Ethan Becker of Becker Knife and Tool, the TacTool offers a 7.75-inch blade, and works for prying open doors or windows, cutting, bashing out windows, lifting nails and hinge pins, and more.

@texasdeathmatch
think about how quickly that's going to break though...even with aluminum bats they're going to bend or break very quickly

Vortex13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Vortex13
@danhimself: I know a lot of stuff like what you mentioned that would be really useful, but for this list I decided to go with stuff I thought would not only be easier to get but cheaper as well.
texasdeathmatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By texasdeathmatch
@danhimself: True, it would be an epic death though. The Zombie Survival Guide recommends this as the best close combat weapon though: 

No Caption Provided
danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By danhimself
@texasdeathmatch: yeah...I've read the Guide like 10 times...even got the digital copy on my phone for quick reference....but I've got to disagree with them on that one....you have to get in to close for it and unlike the tools that I posted above it only really serves one use
Vortex13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Vortex13
@danhimself said:
@texasdeathmatch: yeah...I've read the Guide like 10 times...even got the digital copy on my phone for quick reference....but I've got to disagree with them on that one....you have to get in to close for it and unlike the tools that I posted above it only really serves one use
I also disagree with that choice. Love the book but you need something with a heavier end that is also longer, allows for maximum inflicted damage. 

And again as I mentioned in the blog, this list is about survival in the sense of staying alive without confronting the dead.

But keep them combing I'll keep adding to my must gets in my "in case of zombie outbreak" list
danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By danhimself
@Vortex13:  wanted to let you know that paracord is extremely easy to find....I just got 100' of it for 8 bucks the other day at Gander Mountain..that's a Bass ProShop like place in my location....plus I'm pretty sure that Wal-mart sells it to
texasdeathmatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By texasdeathmatch
@danhimself: Damn. remind me to find you when the apocalypse arrives
danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By danhimself
@texasdeathmatch:   I just recently started getting into survival stuff...just bout the SAS Survival Guide and the SAS Tracking Guide...that kind of stuff is just really interesting to me for some reason
Vortex13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Vortex13
@danhimself: seriously!?! I was looking for it everywhere at dicks sporting goods the other day and couldn't find it! Well I'll definitely knocking dicks sporting goods off my places to go list.
the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator
 This is all i need
 This is all i need
Vortex13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Vortex13

This is my own little thought but if I'm using a gun to survive, you better believe it's going to have a suppressor.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By danhimself
@Vortex13:  you can also get 1000' rolls on Amazon for around 50 bucks...that's a steal if you ask me....I'd suggest getting some and making things like survival bracelets and wrapping other things with it to save space...like the handle of a skeleton knife or like they did in the pick above the middle of a crowbar

No Caption Provided
Chaos Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Chaos Prime

this should be enough..

No Caption Provided
Vortex13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Vortex13
@danhimself: I actually found out about those today on a site, I didn't put it on the list though because I didn't know a lot about it, apparently I didn't know enough about paracord either lol
danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By danhimself
@Vortex13:   lol I bought a few on Amazon a few weeks ago then thought "What the hell am I paying someone else to make these things for me for?"  so I went out and bought some paracord and started making my own...they're really easy to make ....go www.instructables.com and you can find all kinds of ways to weave paracord into space saving tools
Vortex13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Vortex13
@danhimself: By the way the crovel definitely has one big thing about it I love, it can saw. Too many people take for granted the fact that an axe into a load tree makes noise. Zombies can hear just as well as us, think of when you hear someone chopping wood from a distance, if you can hear it so can they.
ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ssejllenrad

Lightsabre

Knightly1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Knightly1

Realistically:
1) A silenced pistol with 10 clips.
2) 2 machetes. 
3) 2 pairs of gloves(in case something happens to one, goggles and a face bandana(this way, no zombie blood get in my body.
4) First aid kid with bandages, alcohol(rubbing), a sewing kit, and morphine.
5) A leather jacket to protect my arms.
6) Food and water
7) A map of the tri-county area
8) 4 other people with me with the same equipment.. Someone that's a doctor, someone who's a survival expert, someone who's good at killing stuff, and someone who's got a good sense of humor.

Unrealitstically:
Pshh... give me my Experimental MIRV from fallout 3, and the Tesla Cannon and some stimpaks and I'm good. ^__^

Mr. Dead Pool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#23  Edited By Mr. Dead Pool

Weapons: Chainsaw, sawed-off double barrel shotgun, hatchet, and a sturdy shovel 
Miscellaneous: backpack full of granola bars, 3 large water bottles, Gameboy Advanced(it needs batteries not outlets that don't work) 80 batteries.

Mr. Dead Pool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Mr. Dead Pool
@Renchamp: Now what is the first rule of horror movies? You get laid, you die
Knightly1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Knightly1
@Mr. Dead Pool:3 rules in horror movies
Dont have sex
Dont taunt 
and most importantly... DONT BE AFRICAN-AMERICAN!! (I'm African-American myself, so no I don't have anything against AA's.)
B'Town

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By B'Town

@texasdeathmatch said:

All I need:
No Caption Provided

So, funny. First thing I thought of is if we have a Zombie invasion I am getting my BAT! hahah.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By danhimself
@Mr. Dead Pool: what are you going to use your chainsaw for when it runs out of gas?  A double barrel shot gun?  Sawed off?  what are you going to do with that?  they have a range of like nothing and with the increased spread you might as well be throwing corn at the zombies....they may be ok for close encounters but then you only have 2 shots and all you've done is killed two zombies and attracted all the others with in ear shot
Mr. Dead Pool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Mr. Dead Pool
@OblivionKnight: Just pointing out the first rule to this guy. I mean since when is it a good idea to have a hot girl in a horror situation. Chance of sex or not they slow you down and you have to deal with the constant screaming(If she's a screamer, which most are)
Mr. Dead Pool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Mr. Dead Pool
@danhimself: It seems to work for Ash pretty well.
Avatar image for deranged_midget
Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#31  Edited By Deranged Midget

You are all wrong. Get a crowbar.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By danhimself
@Mr. Dead Pool:  yeah but that's a movie
Mr. Dead Pool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Mr. Dead Pool
@danhimself: And a comic and 3 video games.
danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By danhimself
@Mr. Dead Pool:  but in real life they suck
B'Town

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By B'Town

I have watched Zombieland way too many times. I am following the rules. For the missing rules, my kickass partner and I will make those up. While we are hunting down twinkie trucks.

I think the top three are the most important, if I am going to survive.

1. Cardio

2. Double Tap (This is where my BIG BAT will come in handy)

3. Beware of bathrooms

4. Wear Seatbelts

6. Cast iron skillet

7. Travel light

8. Get a kickass partner

12. Bounty paper towels

15. Bowling Ball

17.Don't be a hero

18. Limber up

21. Avoid strip clubs

22. When in doubt, know your way out

29. The buddy system

31. Check the back seat

32. Enjoy the little things

33. Swiss army knife

34. Clean socks

48. Hygiene

B'Town

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By B'Town

@Renchamp said:

I haven't seen anyone mention an attractive member of opposite sex. Honestly, if I don't have one of those then I am letting zombies eat my brains.

Why must it be opposite???

Avatar image for marveljackass433
MarvelJackAss433

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#38  Edited By MarvelJackAss433
@B'Town said:

@Renchamp said:

I haven't seen anyone mention an attractive member of opposite sex. Honestly, if I don't have one of those then I am letting zombies eat my brains.

Why must it be opposite???

You just made my day....
Avatar image for lord_oraculous016
lord_oraculous016

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

this is all i need.. 

No Caption Provided

^_^
Vortex13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Vortex13

Remember guys this is a list of non-offensive zombie apocalypse survival tool's.

The_Assassin_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By The_Assassin_
No Caption Provided
.o0Johnny0o.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#42  Edited By .o0Johnny0o.

Lifestraw.  Filters all water drinkable, pretty important.  Boat with fishing equipment would be handy.  Z can't swim and fish stocks would rise with decline of men.  Go port to port to restock, maybe find an island not touched and create a more permanent residence.