• 62 results
#1 Edited by Glitch_Spawn (17123 posts) - - Show Bio

It is late and I know most of you don't care to read morose things but it's got to be done because I need some unbiased thoughts on this.

So, I've been having chronic stomach pain (among other things) for over four months and not only have I had every test run to see what is wrong, I've tried every over the counter and prescription ulcer and acid medication out there. I've come to the realization that my only other option for pain relief is well...alcohol. It doesn't sound like a healthy prospect but this really hurts and all the time. Up until this point I haven't had a drink during the course of my pain because I naturally assume it will make it worse but it has killed pain for me in the past.

Here we go. Dare I ask.

My older fellow viners, what are you views on drinking regimens to relieve pain? Any experiences? Bad ones? Tell me.

Thanks,

Glitch.

#2 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio

Not a fan of it, but when you're this desperate for pain relief I can see why you'd go for it.
Really I'd say that you should treat it as a last resort sort of thing after you've run out of options.

Oh and make sure to ask a doctor about it first man, you don't want to make things worse for yourself trying to make them better.

#3 Edited by mikethekiller (8157 posts) - - Show Bio

If you have an ulcer the last thing you want to do is drink.

#4 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29330 posts) - - Show Bio

That's a bad idea.

#5 Posted by Glitch_Spawn (17123 posts) - - Show Bio

It's funny. After all the diagnostic tests I had done, the surgeons never found any ulcers. So I was taking the meds for no reason.

#6 Posted by danhimself (21901 posts) - - Show Bio

if it's something like acid reflux then I would stay away from anything carbonated as that really inflames my acid reflux...though from the sounds of it I can't assume that's what you have

I can tell you this....I would never resort to alcohol as a pain reliever...alcohol is addicting and drinking to get rid of pain is surefire way to get addicted...also I had better point this out...I'm not saying to stay away from it because I'm against alcohol...I love the stuff lol

between you and me I would maybe try some "herbal remedies" ;) if you catch my drift

#7 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29330 posts) - - Show Bio

between you and me I would maybe try some "herbal remedies" ;) if you catch my drift

HE MEANS WEED

HE MEANS WEED, GUYS

DANHIMSELF IS ADVISING THE USE OF WEED

#8 Posted by Glitch_Spawn (17123 posts) - - Show Bio

@danhimself said:

HE MEANS WEED

HE MEANS WEED, GUYS

Come on man. I'd like some serious input before this gets locked haha.

#9 Edited by MyNameWasDeleted (679 posts) - - Show Bio

That's a bad idea.

Do NOT drink alcohol - drink anything but that (of course not poison or anything toxic). Have you tried drinking apple cider vinegar? I know it sounds counter indicated, but there are people who swear by it. Check this out (can't promise validity, and it's long so I didn't read it all... but you might want to)

#10 Posted by TheAcidSkull (15891 posts) - - Show Bio

drinking is the last thing you want to do now, it'll relieve the pain for a while but it'll probably make things worse, meaning that you'll have to drink more and more

#11 Posted by Edamame (28002 posts) - - Show Bio

Eh, the only drinks that help me are ginger ale or green tea.

*shrugs*

@danhimself said:

HE MEANS WEED

HE MEANS WEED, GUYS

lol

#12 Posted by danhimself (21901 posts) - - Show Bio

@danhimself said:

HE MEANS WEED

HE MEANS WEED, GUYS

HOW???? How could you see right through my clever word play??????

#13 Posted by Glitch_Spawn (17123 posts) - - Show Bio

That did make me laugh, but damn you!

#15 Posted by M3th (1771 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it's bad that people drink to drown their sorrow but I do it too. In your case however, I think your ok. I think it's fine. Have you thought about smoking? I've never drank to relieve myself of physical pain but I have smoked.

#16 Edited by danhimself (21901 posts) - - Show Bio

@glitch_spawn: I am being serious though...it's been known to help with nausea and pain from chemotherapy....plus I want to point out that it is nonaddictive unlike alcohol

#17 Posted by Glitch_Spawn (17123 posts) - - Show Bio

@danhimself: Definitely noted. I used to all the time when I was still in high school.

#18 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29330 posts) - - Show Bio

@danhimself: I'm cleverest of all. It's part of my charm.

@m3th said:

I think it's bad that people drink to drown their sorrow but I do it too. In your case however, I think your ok. I think it's fine. Have you thought about smoking? I've never drank to relieve myself of physical pain but I have smoked.

That's an even worse idea.

#19 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio

@danhimself: I'm cleverest of all. It's part of my charm.

@m3th said:

That's an even worse idea.

Unless he meant SMOKING POT. :P

#20 Posted by MyNameWasDeleted (679 posts) - - Show Bio

did you look into that link?

#21 Posted by Glitch_Spawn (17123 posts) - - Show Bio
#22 Edited by MyNameWasDeleted (679 posts) - - Show Bio

k... i'm worried for you, hope you don't do anything foolish

#23 Posted by Glitch_Spawn (17123 posts) - - Show Bio

k... i'm worried for you, hope you don't do anything foolish

I'll be alright...

#24 Posted by joshmightbe (24099 posts) - - Show Bio

It is late and I know most of you don't care to read morose things but it's got to be done because I need some unbiased thoughts on this.

So, I've been having chronic stomach pain (among other things) for over four months and not only have I had every test run to see what is wrong, I've tried every over the counter and prescription ulcer and acid medication out there. I've come to the realization that my only other option for pain relief is well...alcohol. It doesn't sound like a healthy prospect but this really hurts and all the time. Up until this point I haven't had a drink during the course of my pain because I naturally assume it will make it worse but it has killed pain for me in the past.

Here we go. Dare I ask.

My older fellow viners, what are you views on drinking regimens to relieve pain? Any experiences? Bad ones? Tell me.

Thanks,

Glitch.

If it is an Ulcer alcohol will make it worse.

#25 Posted by mikethekiller (8157 posts) - - Show Bio

@mikethekiller said:

It's funny. After all the diagnostic tests I had done, the surgeons never found any ulcers. So I was taking the meds for no reason.

Even still drinking isn't gonna make stomach pain better.

#26 Posted by Violens (540 posts) - - Show Bio

pain killers are one hell of a drug

#27 Posted by joshmightbe (24099 posts) - - Show Bio

I've had ulcers off and on since I was 12 and one of the first things a doctor will tell you after you hit 21 is to avoid alcohol when they're acting up, also any especially acidic foods like oranges and tomato based stuff is a bad idea as well.

#28 Edited by M3th (1771 posts) - - Show Bio

@decoy_elite: @innervenom123: Yes I was referring to "pot." I have never smoked a cigarette in my life.

Edit: I am wondering, why doesn't my "mail" inform me when someone as @ replied to me anymore?

#29 Edited by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio

@m3th: Haha! I was just making a joke based off IV's previous posts. XD

#30 Posted by M3th (1771 posts) - - Show Bio

@decoy_elite: I thought it was very common for people to resort to pot as a means to relieve physical pain. I always viewed alcohol as a legal social drug or a means to drown your sorrows, not end physical pain.

#31 Posted by JediXMan (27924 posts) - - Show Bio
@m3th said:

@decoy_elite: I thought it was very common for people to resort to pot as a means to relieve physical pain. I always viewed alcohol as a legal social drug or a means to drown your sorrows, not end physical pain.

It's actually better than alcohol. Statistically, marijuana is less addictive, has less health risks, and does not cause violent behavior (as alcohol can). I'm speaking as a non-user (... no, I'm serious).

PS: Nobody is receiving notifications. At all.

#32 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio

@jedixman: Notifications aren't working for you now?

#33 Edited by JediXMan (27924 posts) - - Show Bio

@jedixman: Notifications aren't working for you now?

Far as I knew, it hasn't been working for anybody. Last notification I received was on June 27th.

I'm still getting private messages, though.

#34 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio

@jedixman: They should be working now.
I just got the notification for you @ replying me just now.

#35 Posted by JediXMan (27924 posts) - - Show Bio

@jedixman:

They should be working now.

Well, I am not. I still have to look at the threads, and my notification list has nothing since June 27th.

#36 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio

@jedixman: Do you have your settings right? If they are then you might want to say something in the Bug Reporting thread about notifications.

#37 Posted by MyNameWasDeleted (679 posts) - - Show Bio

@jedixman said:

@decoy_elite said:

@jedixman:

They should be working now.

Well, I am not. I still have to look at the threads, and my notification list has nothing since June 27th.

go to your settings and make sure they are all checked how you want them... they reset for some reason

#38 Posted by JediXMan (27924 posts) - - Show Bio

@mynamewasdeleted:

@jedixman: Do you have your settings right? If they are then you might want to say something in the Bug Reporting thread about notifications.

RIGHT before I read this, I fixed my settings.

Should work now.

#39 Edited by MyNameWasDeleted (679 posts) - - Show Bio

@jedixman said:

@mynamewasdeleted:

@decoy_elite said:

Should work now.

cool... is it working? testing 1-2-3

#40 Posted by JediXMan (27924 posts) - - Show Bio

@jedixman said:

@mynamewasdeleted:

@decoy_elite said:

Should work now.

cool... is it working? testing 1-2-3

No. It's being sent directly to my notification box. I'm not getting a number on the top right.

#41 Posted by Fuchsia_Nightingale (10180 posts) - - Show Bio

I stopped drinking long ago, didn't help me ^-^

#42 Posted by MyNameWasDeleted (679 posts) - - Show Bio

@jedixman said:

No. It's being sent directly to my notification box. I'm not getting a number on the top right.

it takes a bit of time- I usually see the threads have changed last posters or the order is different before I see a number up in my notification indicator

#43 Edited by laflux (11045 posts) - - Show Bio

I've never drank because of pain, but I do remember falling over multiple times due to being legless, not feeling it at the time, then waking up the next morning hurting with big bruises.

#44 Edited by HBKTimHBK (5210 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm biased, but I wouldn't do it.

#45 Posted by PowerHerc (78172 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't know what's causing your stomach pain but, and I say this a person who likes to drink alcohol, drinking is not the answer. Keep trying to find the cause of your pain ( could it be crohn's disease or some similar/related malady? ) but I recommend drinking only for recreation not as medication.

I wish you the best in dealing with whatever is causing your pain. Stay strong.

#46 Edited by BumpyBoo (7215 posts) - - Show Bio

@glitch_spawn: Hiya mate :) Well for a start, hope you are feeling better soon. That's the most important thing.

Self medication is dangerous. For a long time, I did this for a mental illness - it seemed getting high in whatever fashion was the only thing that really took the edge off, that let me get outside of my head, you know? And at first that was okay, I felt I could take or leave it. But slowly, I just became more and more dependent on my own quick fix. Meds tended not to work, I was always being misdiagnosed and being given the wrong ones which would make me worse. Only booze and pot helped.

But after a while, they left me a wreck, totally dependent on them. The thing with self medicating is, it is a band aid, it covers the problem but does not fix it. And in the case of both mental and physical ailments, it almost always exacerbates things, in the long run.

Your "fix" will make you worse, man. I can't tell you what to do here, and i would never judge anyone who used booze in this way too harshly. It is easy to slip into. But personally, I wish I never started. Now, being sober is a struggle for me. Bar a couple of brief lapses, I have been mostly sober this past year. It should never have come to that. Beer is supposed to be fun. It isn't medicine. And it will kill you if you treat is as such.

Sorry for the huge reply by the way. Will understand if you don't read it. :)

#47 Posted by Glitch_Spawn (17123 posts) - - Show Bio

@bumpyboo said:

@glitch_spawn: Hiya mate :) Well for a start, hope you are feeling better soon. That's the most important thing.

Self medication is dangerous. For a long time, I did this for a mental illness - it seemed getting high in whatever fashion was the only thing that really took the edge off, that let me get outside of my head, you know? And at first that was okay, I felt I could take or leave it. But slowly, I just became more and more dependent on my own quick fix. Meds tended not to work, I was always being misdiagnosed and being given the wrong ones which would make me worse. Only booze and pot helped.

But after a while, they left me a wreck, totally dependent on them. The thing with self medicating is, it is a band aid, it covers the problem but does not fix it. And in the case of both mental and physical ailments, it almost always exacerbates things, in the long run.

Your "fix" will make you worse, man. I can't tell you what to do here, and i would never judge anyone who used booze in this way too harshly. It is easy to slip into. But personally, I wish I never started. Now, being sober is a struggle for me. Bar a couple of brief lapses, I have been mostly sober this past year. It should never have come to that. Beer is supposed to be fun. It isn't medicine. And it will kill you if you treat is as such.

Sorry for the huge reply by the way. Will understand if you don't read it. :)

Not too long at all!

#48 Edited by BumpyBoo (7215 posts) - - Show Bio

@glitch_spawn: Oh, that's okay then. Is a thin line between the intelligent reply and the preachy wall of text hehe :) I try to stay on the right side of it O__O

#49 Posted by lordraiden (6581 posts) - - Show Bio

if it's something like acid reflux then I would stay away from anything carbonated as that really inflames my acid reflux...though from the sounds of it I can't assume that's what you have

I can tell you this....I would never resort to alcohol as a pain reliever...alcohol is addicting and drinking to get rid of pain is surefire way to get addicted...also I had better point this out...I'm not saying to stay away from it because I'm against alcohol...I love the stuff lol

"herbal remedies" I like your line of thinking :-)

#50 Edited by mrdecepticonleader (16855 posts) - - Show Bio

@glitch_spawn: If you have no idea what is causing the pain then I would say drinking alcohol as pain relief is not a

I mean you have had tests done and they still cant find out what is going on?