• 61 results
Avatar image for deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74
deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Your Favorite Civilization? (55 votes)

Romans 15%
Greeks 18%
Iroquois Nation or any Native American tribes 5%
Maya 2%
Aztecs 2%
Incas 0%
Ancient China 7%
British Empire 2%
Nazi Germany 4%
Sumerians 5%
Mesopotamians 0%
Vikings 7%
Mongol Empire 2%
Byzantine Empire 0%
Persian Empire 0%
Ancient Egypt 5%
Celts 2%
Holy Roman Empire 0%
Napoleon's Empire 4%
Soviet Union 2%
United States of America 13%
Other 5%

What is your favorite civilization to learn about? Which would you have lived with? Please do not be offended because the Nazis or Soviets are on here and please exclude any from the second question that you do not see fit. I just want to see which is more popular and interesting to people. Sorry if I missed some.

• 
AssertingValor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 65

It is estimated that the Brits have controled more land than any other civilized empire in world history

Avatar image for deactivated-579ecfa921bb2
deactivated-579ecfa921bb2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Native Americans because I'm part Native American

Yokergeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Greeks have a neat history.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DAMMIT just realized I forgot Alexander the Great and I can't edit. :(

Dabee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait, why would Nazi Germany even be an option? Or the Soviet Union? It's not a matter of some of us not seeing fit, there is no reason anybody would pick those. Seriously... what are you thinking? And they hardly count as civilizations....

@silkyballfro94

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

#6  Edited By PunyParker

YEAH!
We're on the lead!

BiteMe-Fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By BiteMe-Fanboy

I say Feudal Japan.

Samurais n sh*t.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dabee: relax alright, I didn't think of that and I should have and I would EDIT but it doesn't give me the option. But for the Soviet Union, I think it does belong in terms of civilizations, but I should've added the ruling of czars/tsars in Russia before too. As for Nazi Germany maybe you're right, I guess it was their leader and invasions that convinced me. Sorry and did you vote?

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

Tamaranean.

Avatar image for spideyivydaredevilfan26
SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 41

Mongols were my favorite. Largest continuous empire in history, best warrior culture in history, were religiously tolerant and equal to other races. Genghis Khan for life! :)

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BAM

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

Napolean - the Italian-born son of a merchant family who became the French Emperor and had all of Western Europe under his control. Participated in over 60 large scale pitched battles and won 80-90% of them.

Dude changed warfare as we know it and also helped write the Napoleonic code which was a revolutionary civil code allows freedoms that we take for granted today.

PrinceAragorn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By PrinceAragorn1

Nazi germany? lulz

Aronmorales

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By Aronmorales

The United States of Awesome-Ass America.

Loading Video...
Avatar image for vercingetorixthegreat
VercingetorixTheGreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Napoleon and the First French Empire not because of land mass or anything as trivial as that. I picked Napoleon because dude was the biggest bad*ss since Alexander the Great... The army Napoleon created from revolutionary rabble was one of the most well disciplined military machines the world has ever seen.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

CheeseSticks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By CheeseSticks

It's more Asia but i vote Ancient China, especially the Three Kingdoms period in China and the Sengoku Jidai in Japan.

VercingetorixTheGreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@silkyballfro94: too bad it didn't end well? Napoleon may have been ousted but his legacy lives on. Funny that without him creating the Confederation of the Rhine, Germany may never have united. His Napoleonic legal code really revolutionized European law and his legacy on military tactics is IMMENSE!!!

When you get an entire era in history named after you and all the oppressive monarchies in Europe to work together you know you are doing something write.... I am a little biased since one of my ancestors was one of Napoleon's closest friends and a general in the French Imperial Army

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Ancient Japan.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

AssertingValor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 65

#22  Edited By AssertingValor
Joewell911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Joewell911

I chose Greek. I just like there Mythology

IrishX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I'm a member of another site that has a large number of Finnish people. It got me curious about the country and I found out a while back about the Winter War. If you don't know about it check out what Simo Hayha and others did to the Russians. When the few take on the many....

Russian General - "We gained 22,000 square miles of territory. Just enough to bury our dead."

Dabee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Dabee

@dabee: relax alright, I didn't think of that and I should have and I would EDIT but it doesn't give me the option. But for the Soviet Union, I think it does belong in terms of civilizations, but I should've added the ruling of czars/tsars in Russia before too. As for Nazi Germany maybe you're right, I guess it was their leader and invasions that convinced me. Sorry and did you vote?

Hm, I guess my tone didn't really come through. I was more just confused, kind of laughing, at the prospect of Nazi Germany being the best civilization. I just thought it was kind of ridiculous, but I didn't mean it as yelling. Sorry if it came off that way.

I voted for the Sumerians, mainly because they invented language. And well, language is pretty much the greatest thing we've ever come up with. I dare anyone to disagree with me.

VercingetorixTheGreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@irishx: Simo Hayha Isn't he the deadliest sniper in history? I actually made a battle thread with him against Deadshot haha

@silkyballfro94: sorry It is so hard to express emotion on the internet, because I knew you were just joking and I was trying to

@lordmaverick: That is what I was thinking haha. The mongols were far from fair and just rulers... Just look at the Siege of Baghdad (they killed over a hundred thousand fleeing civilians) and they destroyed one of the most beautiful cities in the ancient world while they forced the Caliph to watch. They killed countless Scientist and Philosophers and stained the Tigris Red and Black with Blood and ink (threw almost the entire library of Baghdad into the river). It can be said that Islamic science stagnated because of the enormous blow the Mongols dealt...

To say they were fair and just rulers is like calling Hitler a great guy... To put this in perspective WW2 killed about 2% of the population... The mongol conquest killed over 10% of the entire worlds population.

superstay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

No Caption Provided

d^_^b

(I hope this doesn't get me banned)

dO.Ob

Avatar image for mrdecepticonleader
mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Decepticons

Avatar image for spideyivydaredevilfan26
SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 41

@spideyivydaredevilfan26: except they slaughtered every man in persia

1) That was incredibly exaggerated.

2) Genocide by civilizations was pretty common at the time

3) He only did that kind of stuff to people who didn't surrender to him. Those who DID actually led really good and peaceful lives.

Chaos Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Roman but Ancient Japan a close second.

MethoKi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joygirl said:

Tamaranean.

Sadly, I was looking for that.

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 30

#32  Edited By batmannflash

Okay who voted Nazi??? haha Why man?

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joygirl said:

Tamaranean.

Sadly, I was looking for that.

It is obviously the best answer. Feasting and orgies with hot alien chicks, space travel, cool spaceships, what's not to like?

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

@dabee: @batmannflash: Why are you confused about pepole picking Nazi Germany? The OP says "what is your favourite civilization to learn about?" Plenty of pepole have jobs studying Nazi Germany hell pepole even learn about it in school, why would it be a bad thing? It's not like they where any worse than some of the other Civs on that list.

Anyway I picked Celts.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well so far it's the Greeks with 26% and the USA with 13% of the vote.

By the way, I voted for the Aztecs because it's possible that I could have had an Aztec ancestor, plus their pyramid city is gorgeous.

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 30

@jonny_anonymous: oh I'm sorry, I must have missed the "learning" part! I thought it was just your favorite civiliation...period.

INLIFE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By INLIFE

Sumerians. They are my ancestors.

Or Mesopotamians? Could be one of the two or both.

russellmania77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MethoKi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@inlife: Hey, I'm gettin a spam of notifications from you. Do you mind deleting your post with me in it?

Dabee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why are you confused about pepole picking Nazi Germany? The OP says "what is your favourite civilization to learn about?" Plenty of pepole have jobs studying Nazi Germany hell pepole even learn about it in school, why would it be a bad thing? It's not like they where any worse than some of the other Civs on that list.

Because if Nazi Germany is really someone's favorite civilization to learn about, it's bizarre. Yeah, people learn about it (which is albeit important), but if you love learning about it so much that it's one of your favorite things, that's weird. It's mainly the fact that you're using the word 'favorite' to describe your perception of Nazi Germany. And how could you say that they're not any worse than some of the other civilizations on the list? Sure, many civilizations are/were terribly corrupt, but Nazi Germany is definitely, by far, up there pretty high.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

@dabee: It's not bizarre at all, it's the study of history and if that part of history interests you the most then there is nothing wrong with that. Yea so what if Germany was corrupt the Celts and the Aztec's participated in human sacrifices, the Norse made rape a national sport, the Greeks killed there own children if they thought they were weak, the British turned half the world in to slaves as did the Persians to a lesser degree.

Dabee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Dabee

@jonny_anonymous: If you really don't understand why referring to the Nazis with the word "favorite" is inherently distasteful, I really can't help you. If you see Nazis as anything but despicable, you have some serious reevaluation to do. They may be your choice of study because of their pitiful existence and hopes to prevent something like that to ever happen again, but in no sense can they be someone's "favorite." Unless you are a holocaust denier, or perhaps a Neo-Nazi (which I doubt you are either, because you write your posts too intelligently,) I really don't see how you can disagree with me.

Okay, not for part 2. The Celts and Aztecs did certainly sacrifice humans for what they thought was impending good fortune. It was savage and misled, of course. But to compare this to genocide of entire peoples is completely ridiculous. Now for the Norse making rape a national sport, that's simply not true. To start, it's a huge misconception that most early Nords/Vikings were all warriors. MOST, and I mean most, of them were farmers and tradesmen. The select few that were warriors and went on voyages actually traded peacefully with whomever they came across. So it's not the same as genocide. Greeks killing their own children, yes. Very bad, but it still doesn't add up to systematic genocide of entire peoples. The British didn't turn half the world into slaves, it was a huge number of people, and it doesn't make it any less tragic, but it certainly wasn't half the world. Also, it wasn't actually just the British. Only about 20% of slaves were imported violently transferred to North America.

But in the end all of them are tragedies, but to say "Yea so what if Germany was corrupt" only undermines the tragedy of the Holocaust. You clearly aren't an expert on these matters, and neither am I. Really nobody on this website is, so we aren't qualified to say what was worse. But we can all agree (I hope) that all of them are tragedies, and that it's bizarre to be picking out our favorites.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#45 JediXMan  Moderator
  • Rome
  • Egypt
  • Britain
PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

U.S. of A.

No question. No doubt.

umbrafeline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

the romanshad it all and blew it just like any other civilization. they were at their peak during the Julio-claudian dynasty but after the colosieum was finished under titus [started by his father Vespasian from neros private playground] it just fell apart. granted theyre responsible for many of the things we take for granted [aqueducts] and some of their leaders were less than ideal ie. commodus. up from the time of its beginning to ad 180, rome was a power to be reckoned with in the ancient world. then from ad 180 to ad 476 it was all down hill from there. examples being the time of shared power, the schism of the empire [forming the east and west empires], invasions, plagues, etc...

excripts taken from the book EMPRERORS OF ROMEIMPERIAL ROME FROM JULIUS CEASAR TO THE LAST EMPEROR by david potter c/o quercus publishing [isbn 978-1-84724-552-6]

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By lykopis

Quirky poll. :)

I picked other as none of the options appeal to me.

Epicbeast3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Where is ancient India, apart from that Rome or Greece.

Epicbeast3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Romans due to their power, Greeks due to their search of knowledge and amazing myths, and Egypt for mummies. But seriously where is Ancient India, it was the third oldest civilization if you count Indus Valley and the maurya empire was quite large.