Yet again, ANOTHER attempt to reinstate UK death penalty

Paracelsus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By Paracelsus

It's barely the second week in August but already the "silly season"(when there is nothing much for the press to do as Parliament is on its summer break) is in full season.

I refer otf course to the attempt for an e-petition circulating calling for yet ANOTHER debate on the reinstatement of the death penalty(abolished in 1965). Critics note that as the UK has ratified the Lisbon Treaty which explicitly bans the death penalty, in  order to successfully reinstate the gallows, Britain would have to withdraw from the EU in order to do so, and it is highly unlikely that any government(Labour, Conservative, Lib Dem/Con) will do so, now or in the foreseeable future(contray to the "up yours, Delors" school of tabloid headlines, the UK's membership of the EU  provides more benefits than drawbacks)-just to emulate societies like Belarus, Saudi Arabia, China, North Korea, Iran.

Aiden Cross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Aiden Cross

Not gonna happen

EdwardWindsor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By EdwardWindsor

Never gonna happen in UK. Been along time without one and i dont see modern politics allowing it to be reinstated.

Avatar image for do_i_have_to_give_a_name_
Do I have to give a name?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Regardless of any arguments that may exist  for it, the death penalty will never be re-introduced while the current system of government exists. 

Avatar image for _mistress_redhead_
.Mistress Redhead.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

@Aiden Cross said:

Not gonna happen