Yep, Watch_Dogs is definitely canon with Assassin's Creed

Dragonborn_CT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Dragonborn_CT

This may come to little surprise to most gamers, but it has being pretty much confirmed that Watch_Dogs and Assassin's Creed are set in the same universe. I'd like to point out that at the time of writing I haven't played W_D yet, but I've being keeping on with some information released by friends who bought the game and I recently was informed of one such thing that confirmed their connection. If you may remember, some easter eggs that had being revealed about the game had constantly referenced Abstergo, the ominuous corporation from the Assassin's Creed games that serves as a front for the Templar Order.

No Caption Provided

This lead to some gamers into speculating that Watch_Dogs is an spin-off to Assassin's Creed, set in the same world. In the other hand, it might be nothing more than just nod to Ubisoft's other big franchise, unless if important plot elements were really introduced in the game. It had come to light that there is a subquest in the game where W_D's main protagonist is charged of killing an individual named Olivier Garnier, whose profile is started to be CEO of Abstergo Entertainment and outright "targeted by the Brotherhood".

No Caption Provided

In case you don't know, Olivier Garnier was indeed a character from Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag that appeared during the modern times parts, in which he serves as the nameless protagonist's boss. Midway in the game, he is reported to go missing while travelling to Chicago (Watch_Dogs' setting) and according to his profile page in the Assassin's Creed's wiki he was killed on behalf of the Assassins. Unless if information on this subquest turns out to be fake, this pretty much confirms that Watch_Dogs is canon with Assassin's Creed.

Personally speaking, I am little more annoyed that both games share the same continuity. I might love the Assassin's Creed series with all my heart, but I was hoping that Watch_Dogs could kind stand on its own right as a continuity. Its surprising I know coming from one of the biggest fans of the franchise this site has. But I'd like to hear your personal opinion on the matter. Where you surprised by it or not? Do you think this is enough to confirm or does it need more evidence?

Avatar image for stealth_warrior
Stealth_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@dragonborn_ct: Is there going to be a Assassins Creed vs Watch Dogs crossover?

Avatar image for yourneighborhoodcomicgeek
YourNeighborhoodComicGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 15

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

It is just an easter egg. Games mention other games all the time.

Avatar image for stealth_warrior
Stealth_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Dragonborn_CT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Dragonborn_CT

@jayc1324 said:

It is just an easter egg. Games mention other games all the time.

I thought of that myself of the many, many times Abstergo was referenced in the promoted material. Now an actual character from AC's modern storyline made an appearence.

Avatar image for oosupermanthathoeoo
oOSupermanThatHoeOo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This could be absolutely epic, I mean honestly the AC franchise should've ended after brotherhood and seen Desmond entering the modern age with his inherited abilities. This may, more than likely, be a nod to the other series but it'd be amazing if they tied it in with DLC or in the follow up game.

Too bad Watchdogs is so terribly average :/

Eisenfauste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What the Fack! I think they should keep to their respective universes honestly without the tie in, I don't want my games to be mixed to the level of James Bonds drinks.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

Samimista

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

@dragonborn_ct: To be honest, I'm not really bothered by this! Am surprised how you pointed out about the missing boss from Assassin's IV. Seriously wouldn't have noticed that. Do gotta see if it was in a DLC that I have though.

I can see why you're annoyed though since the two should be separate.

Not gonna think too much of it personally though. But is interesting with the Easter eggs.

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 rogueshadow  Moderator

I'm not entirely convinced that it exists in the same continuity, they may just be Easter Eggs. I'm playing the game and it's pretty awesome though, if they inhabit the same continuity I wouldn't mind, the idea of a Ubisoft gaming universe isn't that terrible...

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 13

Interesting write up about a connection but I think it might be Easter Egg .

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

If it's not canon,then it's an interesting and fun Eater Egg.

Avatar image for knightsofdarkness2
Knightsofdarkness2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

They've referenced this even BEFORE watch dogs was released, I heard they had a few watch dogs references in AC4 where one of the abstergo employees said there was a hacking incident happening in Chicago ( i don't have AC 4 but I've heard that there were a bunch of references to watch dogs plus there are TONS of youtube videos showing most of the references about Watch dogs in AC 4)

Avatar image for superlightning123
Superlightning123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

bump

BURNTHEPRIEST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought these were just easter eggs but if not, doesn't really bother me.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#17 JediXMan  Moderator

So... is he an assassin?

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

This proves that a modern AC could be made, at least.

WarBlade539

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There were pretty evident Bioshock and Assassin's Creed Easter Eggs in Far Cry 3 also. I don't think they belong within the same continuity.

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DarthAznable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By DarthAznable

People have never heard of an easter egg. lol

nefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Interesting.

Dragonborn_CT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I mean, really guys? Its pretty obvious and you can only push the "easter egg" card so far...

@dragonborn_ct:

Loading Video...

LOL That is just dumb xD

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#24  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

I played through all of the Criminal Convoy's and completely missed this. v__v

Personally I don't think having both games set in the same universe really does any harm to either franchise. I actually was hoping that Ubisoft would use the events of AC3 as an explanation for why the ctOS was created. Following the solar flare at the end of AC3, with most of the United States' tech fried, it wouldn't be that difficult to say that Blume used that as an opportunity to push their new ctOS system.

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By MonsterStomp

This could be just an easter egg. I mean, both games were created by Ubisoft.

Watch Dogs had a completely different story to Assassin's Creed and I don't see how they could tie it in without getting a huge "WTFITS" from fans.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This could be just an easter egg. I mean, both games were created by Ubisoft.

Watch Dogs had a completely different story to Assassin's Creed and I don't see how they could tie it in without getting a huge "WTFITS" from fans.

I doubt we'll be seeing an actually crossover between both franchises, but I don't see the harm in why both can't share the same universe. Assassin's Creed as a whole takes place mainly in the memories of Assassin's from the past, where as Watch Dogs takes place completely in the present. So even if both franchises took place in the same universe, the chances of them crossing over are slim.

Personally I don't think we'll be seeing Aiden team-up with a modern day Assassin any time soon, and really I don't believe there's really a need for it either. I like the idea of both games taking place in the same universe, as it makes the world of both games feel much bigger and as if there's more going on than just Assassin's VS. Templars and/or Aiden VS. Blume and vice-verse.

At the most, easter eggs like the posted above are the closes either franchise should get to each other. I wouldn't mind in future Watch Dog games if we actually see Aiden (or another character like him) runs into a no-name Assassin, but never fully has him interact with said Assassin and leaves the whole thing up in the air with Aiden being completely in the dark of the Brotherhood's activities.

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

FukYouRenchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@war_killer: I can agree with that.

I like that idea, but if they HAD to do a crossover. I don't want Aiden becoming an assassin.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@monsterstomp said:

@war_killer: I can agree with that.

I like that idea, but if they HAD to do a crossover. I don't want Aiden becoming an assassin.

I doubt Aiden will become an Assassin. From how Watch_Dogs ended, it's seems Aiden will be embracing his life as "The Fox/The Vigilante" and using his hacking abilities to help people from the likes of Blume and other criminals instead of for his own personal vendetta.

I wouldn't mind seeing Aiden "team-up" with a modern day Assassin though, maybe even have a side-mission in sequel game where Aiden stumbles upon an Assassin and has to work with him/her.

Heck, I could even see Ubisoft just having a random encounter with an Assassin during something similar to the Privacy Invasion missions from the first game. Having Aiden snooping around random locations, only to find a white hooded figure killing a random Abstergo employee and simply leaving the player to piece together what they had just seen.

Avatar image for consolemaster001
consolemaster001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

Assassin_Dogs

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

mikethekiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By mikethekiller

IMO watch dogs should have been where ubisoft took the assassins creed series. After finding the info they needed in the past memories they should have had a game occur entirely in the present.

Dragonborn_CT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers