Writing exercise

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 10

I'm bored, just drank an ice coffee so I'm wide awake. So I figure I'll do a little writing exercise with some suggestions from you guys. Here's the deal, you guys post a basic story (like "boy meets girl" or "man goes on journey"), a tone (such as, "comedy" or "tragedy" or "romance") and then you tell me from who's perspective to tell the story (the boy, the girl, omnipresent-omniscient, the boy's mother, whatever) and I'll write a story no longer than one microsoft word page and post it here. I thought this would be fun.

CurlyInsaneGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Man recovers from addiction to alcohol.

Told from the perspective of his alcohol shelf.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By SOG7dc

@curlyinsaneguy said:

OOhh thats an interesting one. One question, though, funny, sad, tragic?

Avatar image for rulerofthisuniverse
RulerOfThisUniverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Man receives superpowers that have a horrifying side-effect.

Told from the perspective of the man.

CurlyInsaneGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc said:

@curlyinsaneguy said:

OOhh thats an interesting one. One question, though, funny, sad, tragic?

Hmm, that's tough. I'd go funny-ish.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

CurlyInsaneGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc: Sweet, can't wait to read it. I should do an exercise like this, it's been way too long since I've written anything.

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

@sog7dc said:

@curlyinsaneguy:

Cool. I think I've got a decent idea.

Someone please tag me when it's posted haha fantastic idea!!

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SOG7dc

@curlyinsaneguy said:

@sog7dc: Sweet, can't wait to read it. I should do an exercise like this, it's been way too long since I've written anything.

I think I'll re do this. It quickly went from funny-ish to macabre lol. It's actually pretty grim: Also @pokeysteve

Okay. Well, I suppose it’s best to start at the very beginning. You know it’s crazy how when you look back on a time in your life, and at that time you hated what was going on, you were miserable, but now as you look back you wish you could go back.

It was cool at first you know? Our relationship was simple, cut and dry, but it had a consistency that made it feel almost, homey. Comfortable. After about a year it stopped being anything special and turned into just life. I was there for him, he was there for me. It was simple. Then it got complicated. Our visits with one another began to effect his relationships with his wife and children and it actually began to take a small physical toll on me. His tastes became—harder to day the least.

Still, we both relied on each other. He relied on me for relief, I relied on him for...I’m not actually sure what I relied on him for. But I do know I needed him. We never spoke— our relationship was explicitly physical. I knew why I was needed, and I’d guess he had some idea of what he was there for but I guess I’ll never know now. I’m still stuck here and he’s—well he’s where I had a hand in putting him.

The most remarkable part is that the years passed so quickly. So fast. God! I remember when I was a kid, standing in the sun and just living in those summer days that seemed to drag on for ages. I felt a part of something back then! Alive! Now, after life has cut me to pieces I’ve traveled the country and danced this dance with men, women and the people in between. I’ve been broken, burned, drowned, and blown away and thrown away by so many people that by the time I met him and he made me feel--. He made me feel useful. Needed. How many people would still be alive if only they felt needed by somebody somewhere?

Yes. I admit it. I knew about his wife. Knew about his kids. I was aware of the damage I was causing but dammit I needed to finally be there for me and our relationship…I needed that! You may look at me with disgust but that’s okay because I know that somebody on this earth needed me as much as I needed them. I had a relationship with someone that was, up until the very end, utter bliss. How many of your married couples can say that?

And how dare she accuse me of violating her home and family and marriage! The truth, the real truth is that she violated what we had. Never once did I chew at him about bills or the kids or his chores! I was just what every man needs! I was there!

The day it happened, things had been building for years at that point and she had to have known he was growing closer to me with each passing day. He was at his boiling point too. The kids always taking her side, her always pointing out his inadequacies, the countless hospital visits. I couldn’t be there for him at the hospital for obvious reasons but when he finally returned to me, it was like he never left. She caught us the last time and things just went into a tail spin. There was screaming, pushing, pulling and then…it was over. She was twitching on the floor and I was covered in her blood.

The police came and I was so stunned…I was just still. They took him away and that was the last day I saw him. My home has been empty ever since. So here I sit. Just waiting to be needed again.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What tone would you like?

CurlyInsaneGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc: Woah, I like it. Good job, man.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SOG7dc
SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By SOG7dc

@rulerofthisuniverse said:

I went ahead and made it funny and I actually think this one is funny: @curlyinsaneguy@pokeysteve

He walked in in a white lab coat with that look cashiers give you when they’re almost off work and you have a huge order. I thought he was a dick immediately. Ironic.

“Okaayyy. Mr. Bates, I’m Dr. Shelby. How are ya?”

“Not too good, actually”

“Well that makes sense. Otherwise this would be a waste of both our time. hahahaha” he even laughed like a dick…and what a dickish thing to say.

“Heh. Yeah…” He looks down at his chart.

“…So. You’re a meta, obviously, codename, Agent Sponge. Energy absorber?”

“Not exactly. I can literally absorb projectiles. They use me for dangerous missions that they deem are too risky for normal squadrons. Usually recovery missions or they use me to clear an area.” God I don’t like this guy. He writes notes on me like I’m some kind of government experi—shit.

“I see. Nurse said you reported having some trouble in your groin area?”

“Yeah. That’s why I’m here…you see, the way my powers work…well…I absorb a bullet right?”

“Yeah…”

“Well, eventually, I pass it in my urine.”

“Okay…”

“I used to be able to break the bullets down to where I just passed them without noticing but over the past few months, they were breaking down less and less until they just started coming out of me the same way they went in me.”

“Wait, so you’re—you’ve been urinating whole bullets?”

“Yes”

“…..” Oh that’s reassuring

“Jesus…”

“well…?”

“uuuhhh….you think you could possibly get me a urine sample so I can see what I’m dealing with?”

“What? Don’t you deal with this type of stuff on a regular basis?!”

“Well no two metagenetics manifest the same way. Honestly I’ve never had to treat someone who urinates bullets so, I’m sorry, but I’m gonna need a urine sample.”

“….The last thing I got shot with was a 50 cal sniper…” And this guy looks at me with a freaking Kaye West Shrug and for a moment I actually think about fighting him.

In the hospital bathroom, which always manages to smell like someone just pissed pure ammonia, I stand over the pee-cup and…well…normally I’d try to think of a clever metaphor like pissing a 50 cal bullet out of your wiener but it just so happens I’m pissing a 50 cal bullet out of my wiener so you’ll excuse my lack of creativity…..On second thought, Imagine you’re putting anew washing machine in your house but the old one was there so long that the water line has a buildup of lime and rust on it so you grab pliers and twist super hard until you get it off only to find that you stripped the thread. Then you have an idea of how it feels to piss a 50 cal bullet out of your wiener. I go back into the room and I have nothing but anger in my heart for women who complain about giving birth because they have no idea what real pain is. Then the diagnosis was the killing joke. I need more amino acids. I’d have been cool If I kept eating fish. FML.

whoisme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Full123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

A story of an insane, evil god.

Tone is funny sometimes, but mostly dark

Told from the perspective of the god.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BatWatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

#18  Edited By BatWatch

@sog7dc:

Your liquor story was pretty good. I'm impressed. As you pointed out , it wasn't funny, but it was powerful. Do you want to write professionally?

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@batwatch said:

@sog7dc:

Your liquor story was pretty good. I'm impressed. As you pointed out , it wasn't funny, but it was powerful. Do you want to write professionally?

I'm trying to. I really appreciate that. thanks.

BatWatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Now that I know you can do this, I'm going to torture you with nigh impossible ideas. Story: A flesh eating giraffe and lion fall in love. Perspective: The man being eaten by a giraffe. Tone: TV sitcom.

Avatar image for deactivated-61bde0e570bb9
deactivated-61bde0e570bb9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Girl falls in love with other girl, but the other girl is a big fancy CEO, while the main girl is a middle class person

Romantic comedy, told from the middle class girl's perspective.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By SOG7dc

@batwatch said:

Now that I know you can do this, I'm going to torture you with nigh impossible ideas. Story: A flesh eating giraffe and lion fall in love. Perspective: The man being eaten by a giraffe. Tone: TV sitcom.

Awesome haha. I'm working on the evil god one now, after I finish that I'll start on this.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@full123 said:

A story of an insane, evil god.

Tone is funny sometimes, but mostly dark

Told from the perspective of the god.

This one was tough. Kudos to you.

Before I start, I’d like to state that this is (obviously) a work of fiction, and in no way reflective of my actual beliefs.

“I’ve been asked why I am the way that I am.” What a stupid question. I do what I do for the same reasons anybody does whatever it is that they do.

“Because I can.” Obvious isn’t it. As you sit there reading this you torture yourselves with your concern over how callous and evil I am. And you must understand that, at my heart (and I do have one….or something like it), I’m a creature of logic and reflection. I give you what you want.

“’How do I determine what it is you want?’ our dear reader ponders…” It’s simple. I look into the very substance of who you are. Some call it a soul, an aura, essence. I call it the truth. You constantly torture yourselves with fear, self-doubt, insecurity, pondering on the evil that actually occurs much less than the good…

“and that’s what you spend the most time and energy on. It’s crazy!”

And when I feed that thirst for depravity I become the bad guy. It’s really unfair to me. I give and I give and you always find a way to blame me for your problems. Trying to find meaning in meaningless things like your temporary life and your inevitable death. Crying to me about something very simple

“A dead baby is a dead baby, any way ya slice it….haha” Oh! And speaking of dead children, I just remembered about the one that’s been waiting outside my door since Saturday. You guys have been making quite the fuss about him too.

“I watch the Fox news channel you know…” and I must say you have made a grand mess because of this guy. The worst part is you’ve seen this movie before…But judging off of movie sales and television ratings repetition is highly valued amongst you idiots.

“and despite all the knowledge available. Despite the literal infinite pool of knowledge you’ve managed to forge…you actually thought meaning would come out of a black kid getting shot. You have any idea how many of those I’ve got in the room next to the dead babies?” and the best part of it all, the thing that makes it all so beautifully tragic is that in 2 months time you won’t even remember the guy. There were twenty thousand a perfectly healthy children born to people that will love them today. I always love watching you find a way to make that all go to shit.

“It’s just all so amazing to me how you will fight each other to the bitter end over land, oil, money that you assign value to, but when there are children slaves and soldiers, you as a people will find every excuse to avoid taking any action against that.” You must see the humor…willing to die for the ground but not for the actual people who live on it, willing to kill for ideals but willing to let ideas die.

I am the way I am because I am a reflection of my own living idea. Sometimes I wish I had never thought of you. Other times, I just sit back and watch a child mutilate another child while the most powerful country in the world that loves liberty and freedom and rights fights a pointless war that they’ve already won. I love you all so very…very much.

whoisme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc: A knight coming to save a princess from a castle guarded by a dragon. Told from the perspective of the dragon. It can be funny at times, but the overall emotional background should be series.

Avatar image for mrdecepticonleader
mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

You know this is actually a really interesting idea for a thread.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't forget about you guys. Just had a long day. I'll do the remaining requests tomorrow. Promise

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Sure,I'll make up a scenario

Story about a philanthropist/humanist/optimist/social justice fighter turning apathetic/misanthropic/suicidal

Let's also say he's a minority (let's say,black) that is socially aware (to social injustice),whereas most people deny it.

It's told from his perspective (first person)

Tone: Tragedy

Avatar image for pperspectiveandreality
Pperspectiveandreality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

I like the shelf one

BatWatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you can manage the man eating giraffe one, I'll be very impressed. I like working on stories myself, and I wasn't able to think up a way my story wouldn't be horrible.

It's really hard to do sitcom style jokes especially with such a crazy scenario.

swordmasterD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Boy finds dragon, it dies horribly when he tries to exploit it for money-Tragic

Told from the point of view of an immortal raven

XLR87T3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

42 year old fat loser gets an ogredose of shrekstacy. He feels totally swamped. Told from the perspective of the man-child. Creepy/Retarded (is that even a thing?)

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really tired but I promise I'll get these down for you guys. I'm looking forward to the challenges.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By SOG7dc
legacy6364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By legacy6364

An alcoholic self-destructive, overly sarcastic immortal.

He's fought wars in the dark ages, africa, WW1, WW2, and has PTSD.

He has been alive so long he can't even remember.

Avatar image for rulerofthisuniverse
RulerOfThisUniverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Full123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That was gret man

KittyParker13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Girl becomes a zombie, from her perspective.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By SOG7dc

@batwatch said:

Here it is:

Story: A flesh eating giraffe and lion fall in love. Perspective: The man being eaten by a giraffe. Tone: TV sitcom

All told from Matthew’s perspective like that episode of family guy where we see it from Stewie’s perspective.

Int. Gianna and Chester’s kitchen- Morning

Matt blinks his eyes open to see a giraffe looking at him.

Matthew

Wha?....AAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

Chester (from another room)

Is he awake?!

From Matthew’s perspective we see the giraffe’s face.

Gianna

Don’t worry about what he’s doing. This one is mine. Hands off!

Matthew

What the hell is going on?!

Chester (from another room)

What about paws?

Gianna

This one is mine! Stay off him, Mufasa!

(Studio Laughter)

Chester pokes his head in the room

Chester

Hey! Don’t even joke like that. He’s like Lion Martin Luther King.

Matthew

Why does this giraffe have such jagged gapped teeth and breathe that smells like bad English meat?!

Why does Giraffe-Anna Paquin want to eat me?!?!?!?!?!

Chester enters the room

Gianna

He looks mad doesn’t he?

Chester

He looks delicious—

Matthew

A lion and a giraffe?! What are you? In competition with Brigitte Nielson and that dried up raison with a clock around his neck?!

Good Lord not only was I captured, I was captured by the animal kingdoms version of Vh1’s first step in mind numbing trite!!

Please! Whatever you do, don’t make me watch any more of your sick lives and just eat me now!

Gianna

He’s a feisty little fella huh?

Chester

Babe your hips are a little wide…

Matthew

Oh no…don’t do this!

Gianna

What?! Oh that does it! I am going on a strict diet before I eat him!

Gianna walks outside

Matthew

NO!!! YOU COME BACK HERE AND EAT ME!!! YOU EAT ME NOW YOU LONG NECKED-SLACKJAWED-PAQUIN FACED- MOYER SMELLING-SOW!!!

Chester looks Matthew in the eye

Chester

Welp…looks like you’ll be with us for a while buddy…

Tune in ever Wednesday night at 7;30 eastern pacific time for new episodes of, “Inter-species Threeway”! Only on Fox!!

XLR87T3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By XLR87T3

An alcoholic self-destructive, overly sarcastic immortal.

He's fought wars in the dark ages, africa, WW1, WW2, and has PTSD.

He has been alive so long he can't even remember.

Sounds awfully familiar...

No Caption Provided

legacy6364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By legacy6364

LOL

Wasn't thinking about wolverine. I was leaning more toward a drunk, homeless, Jack Sparrow in the real world.

Covering his pain with sarcasm.

XLR87T3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers