WOULD YOU READ A TITLE LED BY A LGBT PERSON?

• 55 results
Avatar image for mistresssobeautiful
mistresssobeautiful

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

The title of this thread basically says it all.

From what I've seen comic book fans are easily more willing to accept a change like this (but obviously not to a character that they know and love for no reason e.g DC changing Wally West' s race)

P.s. Sorry if this is not an appropriate subject. I was unsure.

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I could care less who leads the tittle as long as the book is constructed well and has a interesting characters, plots and so on. I don't judge people off the bases of their sexuality so I wouldn't either by who leads the title of a book.

Avatar image for consolemaster001
consolemaster001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

As long as the book isn't all "LOOK A GAY PERSON IS THE HERO PAY ATTENTION AT HOW GAY HE IS WE ARE SO TOLERANT AND ACCEPTING"

Like as long as his/her sexuality isn't an explicit part of the book.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

I all ready am and its not because it has LGBT, its because it has good stories.

Write a good story and I don't care what its about.

ximpossibrux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

No I would not read it and you wanna know why?

"LOOK A GAY PERSON IS THE HERO PAY ATTENTION AT HOW GAY HE IS WE ARE SO TOLERANT AND ACCEPTING"

thank you consolemaster, the entire book would revolve around this^. The Lgbt person would be given the same treatment Samus got in Other M. Where the writer has to go out of his way to be like "LOOK SHE'S FEMALE, BUT ALSO STRONG. SEE GUYS, FEMALES CAN BE STRONG, GUY? GUY!!!!? LOOK"

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator
Yes.
Yes.

Avatar image for thatguywithheadphones
thatguywithheadphones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, I'd absolutely love a wiccan title.

Doomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Doomnaut

Does the comic have a well written story and awesome art to look at? Then yes I would read a comic book written by a LGBT person or any kind of person.

RobotMonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

@mistresssobeautiful: I support a GLBT presence within the comic industry, and I hope others do the same, but I wouldn't read a book BECAUSE it was written by an GLBT creator. All writers have a responsibility to not suck, and having been marginalized by the ignorant does not excuse anyone from poor quality storytelling. Devin Grayson, who identifies openly as a bisexual and who once picked up a GLAAD award, is a writer I always look out for, but this has less to do with her personal identity and everything to do with the professional choices she has made within the industry. ~shrugs~ That's just me, though. Interesting perspectives here so far.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

No..... well yes but I'm not reading any as of now

ImmortalOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

As long as it's good.

TheCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 47

JulieDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm going to be honest, I probably wouldn't actively seek out a book with an LBGT lead mostly because it just doesn't really interest me. However, if I accidentally came upon it and liked it, I'll probably keep reading it. As for books written by LBGT people, I'm sure I probably have read books written by them, I generally don't look into the personal lives of writers so I have no idea.

laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

Hungry_Sharky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Only if it was hentai.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

bigtewell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By bigtewell

yes but as long as they arent shoving it down your throat. Like if the character is good, the story is good, idgaf if they are straight, gay, or into furniture. like colossus from ultimate x men. he was gay but he was an interesting character (well until the banshee arc...) and for awhile it was implied that miles could be gay or bi.as long as the story is good idc

Bruxae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

If it is written well, no problem. Like you stated in OP though I would not enjoy changing the sexuality of a current character.

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By dshipp17  Online

@juliedc said:

I'm going to be honest, I probably wouldn't actively seek out a book with an LBGT lead mostly because it just doesn't really interest me. However, if I accidentally came upon it and liked it, I'll probably keep reading it. As for books written by LBGT people, I'm sure I probably have read books written by them, I generally don't look into the personal lives of writers so I have no idea.

This is how I feel. This is what happened to me when I read Wonder Woman by Allan Heinberg and Terry Dodson, or, where it had Dodson's art. I liked the art, but he wasn't really on the title long enough to really develop his implied plots; Gail Simone took over, right into his story, from what I remember. I didn't find out the writer's sexuality, until I looked him up, curious about whether he would return to Wonder Woman or if he had other works, specifically with a female lead character. It really diminished everything, when I tried to look up his work, but it got deeply into his sexuality; the person's sex life is suddenly unimportant, if they're heterosexual; I know this, because I try to find any controversies associated with a writer doing a female lead; controversies about a writer doing a female lead is what draws me in; and this tendency of mine is what has me looking forward to David and Meredith Finch being on Wonder Woman, although, the only thing about David Finch is the manner in which he draws female lead characters, but, if I'm missing something, tell me; I'll than look forward to it even more; however, on the other end of the spectrum, if someone is trying to be too considerate of feminists' complaints about art and writing, causing it to translate into their work, particularly with artists, I'll just have to eventually drop the title, but I'll give it a chance. While I can tell when I'm dealing with someone being sensitive to feminists, I could not tell, at all, that Terry Dodson was working with someone who was openly gay, and I liked that, as it didn't translate into his work; he drew a very sexy Wonder Woman; however, with the current Wonder Woman artist, you can tell that his views and sensitivities are trickling into his work and that just seeps my interest away, unless the writing saves things, but, basically, I dropped my annual subscription to Wonder Woman about 2 years ago; it was my finances, but, doing budget cutting, made it easier for my willingness to let Wonder Woman go; however, it looks like my finances will allow me to renew my annual subscription with the arrival of the Finch(es); I did buy a few recent issues of Wonder Woman.

Avatar image for deactivated-627010180bd2d
deactivated-627010180bd2d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@consolemaster001 said:

"LOOK A GAY PERSON IS THE HERO PAY ATTENTION AT HOW GAY HE IS WE ARE SO TOLERANT AND ACCEPTING"

There is not a single word or phrase in the English dictionary that accurately describes how I despise this cliche.

Avatar image for oosupermanthathoeoo
oOSupermanThatHoeOo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sure, as long as it's classy and respectful. Look at what David Gaider has done with Bioware's works.

Darling_Luna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#23  Edited By Darling_Luna

I do

Yet it's not necessarily a selling point, I don't latch on to characters cause we are both gay, I do it cause I like them for other reasons, and being written well

thespideyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By thespideyguy

Only if the book is good.

iaconpoint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#25  Edited By iaconpoint

@joygirl said:

@thecannon said:

@the_stegman s
character then  .
character then .

Here's a character who was billed first as a gay character and second as anything interesting. Her initial description was "HEY! A BRAND NEW GAY CHARACTER WHO IS GAY! um, and she's also a Bat-character with a semi-interesting background BUT FORGET ALL OF THAT BECAUSE SHE'S GAY!" It really delved into the "diversity for diversity's sake" narrative. The Greg Ricka Detective stories were awesome, but the whole HEY LOOK AT ME I'M GAY! thing was a bit much.

Also, lipstick lesbians are few and far between. If we are attempting to depict real life, let's have a few more butch girls thrown in the mix.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 the_stegman  Moderator

@joygirl said:

@thecannon said:

@the_stegman s
character then .
character then .

Here's a character who was billed first as a gay character and second as anything interesting. Her initial description was "HEY! A BRAND NEW GAY CHARACTER WHO IS GAY! um, and she's also a Bat-character with a semi-interesting background BUT FORGET ALL OF THAT BECAUSE SHE'S GAY!" It really delved into the "diversity for diversity's sake" narrative. The Greg Ricka Detective stories were awesome, but the whole HEY LOOK AT ME I'M GAY! thing was a bit much.

Also, lipstick lesbians are few and far between. If we are attempting to depict real life, let's have a few more butch girls thrown in the mix.

I kinda disagree with this. Very rarely is Batwoman's sexuality flaunted. She's a lesbian, she is in a lesbian relationship, but it's not like DC puts.

"THE LESBIANIC BATWOMAN!" on its covers. I think she's done very tastefully (ignoring the whole marriage controversy). And "lip stick lesbians" just like "butch" lesbians are all stereotypes. That's like wanting a black character to be a "thug" cause hey, they exist in real life!

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

@joygirl said:

@thecannon said:

@the_stegman s
character then .
character then .

Whatever, dude. Batwoman's a great character and has been since her very first appearance in 52.

Also, when she's out of costume her hair is short and she usually wears boy's clothes. I think I'd classify her as more of a chapstick lesbian.

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I have done, currently do, and would continue to do so. :)

mistresssobeautiful

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

aquaman01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By aquaman01

Of course. As long as it is good, I would read it. And, sure, many writers like to have gay characters have many of their stories about their struggles being gay, but if it isn't in the way of the other stories and is written correctly, then no one would have a problem with it.

Batwoman is a perfect example of this. It has its story lines and it also has some stories about her personal life, yet it is written like how any other story deals with a character's personal life.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f
deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

Yes i would read about LGBT character but wouldnt be the main reason why i would read the tittle.

Abstractium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I already read midnighter

Abstractium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh and batwoman's comics are just the worst.

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@mistresssobeautiful: Hi. :)

Oh and batwoman's comics are just the worst.

All of them, or the recent ones? I'd agree that they haven't been as good since Marc Andreyko took over.

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 dshipp17  Online

Of course. As long as it is good, I would read it. And, sure, many writers like to have gay characters have many of their stories about their struggles being gay, but if it isn't in the way of the other stories and is written correctly, then no one would have a problem with it.

Batwoman is a perfect example of this. It has its story lines and it also has some stories about her personal life, yet it is written like how any other story deals with a character's personal life.

But, why is it so difficult or interesting to explore the personal life of a heterosexual character? It seems that all interest in the personal life of a heterosexual superhero, such as Wonder Woman, ceases. Wonder Woman would be far more interesting if her personal life were explored a lot more; for that matter, Supergirl, Power Girl, Batgirl, Storm, Rogue, Kitty Pryde, She-Hulk, etc.

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LBGT? I don't care what their sexual preference is, as long as the characters are likeable and the story is dope.

GrenadeFlow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If its interesting why not

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LBGT? I don't care what their sexual preference is, as long as the characters are likeable and the story is dope.

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I have and I will continue to do so. The times homosexuality has been played upon for the sake of it on panel, I found, has been far less prevalent compared with heterosexual characters like Tony Stark. Being a ladies' man is part of him, just as Emma Frost played up her sexuality towards male characters. There might be a double standard with some fans' tolerance of a character's sexuality as heterosexuality is considered "normal", whereas anything other than that isn't. My view, mind you.

ARMIV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By ARMIV2

If it's good and I like the character, then yeah. That's how I am with any character.

MatteoPG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As long as it's not a selling point ("Oh, look, the character is LGBT"). If a comic's good, good; if it's bad then... bad.

russellmania77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Only if the series is entertaining to my interest. The plot so far is that the main character is gay, so no i wouldnt read it...

mistresssobeautiful

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@farkam said:

@monsterstomp said:

No Caption Provided

Cosigned

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
StMichalofWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 107

#44  Edited By StMichalofWilson

No Caption Provided

Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 5

@farkam said:

@monsterstomp said:

No Caption Provided

Cosigned

Agree and love the gif.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Yeah.

laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

InFamous_Wolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@farkam said:

@monsterstomp said:

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As long as the book isn't all "LOOK A GAY PERSON IS THE HERO PAY ATTENTION AT HOW GAY HE IS WE ARE SO TOLERANT AND ACCEPTING"

kuonphobos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#50  Edited By kuonphobos

I don't read ANY comics specifically for socio-religio-political reasons. So any time it crops up in what I do read (Garth Ennis I'm looking at you!) I inwardly groan and roll my eyes and press on. So truth be told I probably wouldn't specifically seek it out. But as most others have stated if the story was well written and interesting (that alone would make it a rarity) and the art was nice then I wouldn't casually toss it aside just because a gay character was the lead.