• 81 results
  • 1
  • 2
#1 Posted by lord_oraculous016 (9282 posts) - - Show Bio

pardon me if a dare to tackle such a deep issue.. 
 
okay, the situation goes something like this.. you were born at the same time our lord Jesus Christ was born.. and you are one of the spectators watching as he was put into trial and tortured.. then a high ranking Roman official saw you, and asked you a deep yet meaningful question: "Would you gladly take his place and die for him?"
 
what do you thing your answer would be?

#2 Posted by Aronmorales (9301 posts) - - Show Bio

I would if I could but I couldn't.
If I was nailed upon that cross, it wouldn't have made any difference for mankind, and I would've been just another sad story in the pages of history.

#3 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23238 posts) - - Show Bio
@Aronmorales said:
" I would if I could but I couldn't. If I was nailed upon that cross, it wouldn't have made any difference for mankind, and I would've been just another sad story in the pages of history. "
A perfect answer.
#4 Posted by Aronmorales (9301 posts) - - Show Bio
@FadeToBlackBolt: Thanks.
#5 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23238 posts) - - Show Bio
@Aronmorales: No worries. It actually stopped me from answering with a simple "Yes".
#6 Posted by Aronmorales (9301 posts) - - Show Bio
@FadeToBlackBolt: Hehe.
#7 Posted by Aquamariner (203 posts) - - Show Bio

Tough question. God's plan was for Jesus to die on the cross for humankind. If I took his place, wouln't that alter God's plan?  
Unless of course me dying on the cross was God's plan, in which case It still wouldn't be my decision,, because it it's Gods plan I would feel the urge to replace Jesus on the cross. 

#8 Posted by ComicMan24 (147037 posts) - - Show Bio

If any normal human have died in Jesus' place, what impact that would have in the world? None. It was because he was Jesus that this had an impact in the world.
Online
#9 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29510 posts) - - Show Bio

Jesus may be your lord, but he's not mine. =/

#10 Posted by spider-pig23 (1115 posts) - - Show Bio
@Pheonix of the white throne said:
" truthfully No i dont believe in Religion "
#11 Posted by NexusOfLight (1712 posts) - - Show Bio

Based on the scenario given, I don't think I would. I mean, if I was just one of the spectators, I probably would be on the people's side. I wouldn't have known any better. Like Jesus said, "they know not what they do." 

#12 Posted by Gylan Thomas (2662 posts) - - Show Bio

I think anyone saying they would isn't thinking about the question. 
If you'd been asked...
"Beliefing what you do now, today, 2010, if you traveled back in time to and would you die for him?"
Then maybe you could say yes.
 
Most people in at the time would not. They'd have their own lifes to live. 
 
Someone please start an Islamic, Buddhist, Hindu or even Scientology thread.
If people wanna talk religion can't it be done on a christian site or at least be a little balanced?
 
I'm an atheist and personally find it very hard to not join in on these debates. I'm pretty diplomatic but it's sometimes hard and frustrating not to point out that people are building there believe systems on a fairy tale.
 
Sorry if that offends.

#13 Posted by G'bandit (13689 posts) - - Show Bio

Well his death inspired many and had a major shock on history. Although I would of prefer for such an iconic figure to be around for longer I would have to let it be the way he chooses.

#14 Posted by Primmaster64 (21073 posts) - - Show Bio
@Aronmorales said:
" I would if I could but I couldn't. If I was nailed upon that cross, it wouldn't have made any difference for mankind, and I would've been just another sad story in the pages of history. "

#15 Posted by courtney12490 (3418 posts) - - Show Bio
@InnerVenom123 said:
"Jesus may be your lord, but he's not mine. =/ "

^This
#16 Posted by Retnex (2264 posts) - - Show Bio
@Aronmorales said:
" I would if I could but I couldn't. If I was nailed upon that cross, it wouldn't have made any difference for mankind, and I would've been just another sad story in the pages of history. "
#17 Posted by The Sadhu (848 posts) - - Show Bio

Knowing what I know about the events of his crucifixion... then no! He was sent for that purpose to die for our salvation. 
 
If I was someone of that time... then again my answer would be no!
#18 Posted by Gylan Thomas (2662 posts) - - Show Bio

Jesus is just an example of the a Godman character from a long list that includes Hercules, Osiris and many others.
All of whom anyone building their believes around today would be called crazy.

#20 Posted by The Sadhu (848 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gylan Thomas: 
 
interesting... very!
#21 Posted by Bio Guyver (6855 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd like to, believing from a religious standpoint, that this life is only an obstacle; a test.

#22 Posted by d0npierre (377 posts) - - Show Bio

I would, but only if it would've prevented other religions from rising up.

#23 Posted by Dane (10649 posts) - - Show Bio

one of the worst threads I've ever seen.

#24 Posted by lagoon_boy (10878 posts) - - Show Bio
@Aronmorales I agree.
#25 Posted by NightFang (10261 posts) - - Show Bio
@FadeToBlackBolt said:
" @Aronmorales said:
" I would if I could but I couldn't. If I was nailed upon that cross, it wouldn't have made any difference for mankind, and I would've been just another sad story in the pages of history. "
A perfect answer. "
             Agreed.
#26 Posted by cascadeking09 (6698 posts) - - Show Bio
@d0npierre said:
" I would, but only if it would've prevented other religions from rising up. "
The thing is only Jesus could have handled wat they did to him. He had a choice of whether or not he would go through the whole thing, anybody else would've died.
#27 Posted by spawndon (1373 posts) - - Show Bio

No way!
I have one life, and I plan to make the best out of it.
And I do not believe in either God or Religion, so no question of taking his place.

#28 Posted by BaldursFate (181 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow I'm agnostic and I understand Christianity better then you Christians. Good old Josh had a mission, he was allegedly sent to die for our sins so if he doesn't die we all burn in hell. 

#29 Posted by geraldthesloth (33313 posts) - - Show Bio

Nah.

#30 Posted by CellphoneGirl (18764 posts) - - Show Bio

No, since there wouldn't have been any point in doing so.

#31 Posted by chris thompson (815 posts) - - Show Bio

Yup.
#32 Posted by DIZ (377 posts) - - Show Bio

No

#33 Posted by d0npierre (377 posts) - - Show Bio
@cascadeking09 said:
" @d0npierre said:
" I would, but only if it would've prevented other religions from rising up. "
The thing is only Jesus could have handled wat they did to him. He had a choice of whether or not he would go through the whole thing, anybody else would've died. "
This has no intent of dissing you or your religion. But I'm pretty sure I could've done the same as Jesus then and I can name some other men who could've done what he did.  Maybe the question is, who would want to do that?
#34 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29510 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gylan Thomas said:
" I think anyone saying they would isn't thinking about the question.  If you'd been asked... "Beliefing what you do now, today, 2010, if you traveled back in time to and would you die for him?" Then maybe you could say yes.  Most people in at the time would not. They'd have their own lifes to live.   Someone please start an Islamic, Buddhist, Hindu or even Scientology thread. If people wanna talk religion can't it be done on a christian site or at least be a little balanced?  I'm an atheist and personally find it very hard to not join in on these debates. I'm pretty diplomatic but it's sometimes hard and frustrating not to point out that people are building there believe systems on a fairy tale.  Sorry if that offends. "
Same here >_> It's so tempting...
#35 Posted by k4tzm4n (34920 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gylan Thomas said:
"Jesus is just an example of the a Godman character from a long list that includes Hercules, Osiris and many others. All of whom anyone building their believes around today would be called crazy. "

QFT
Staff
#36 Posted by k4tzm4n (34920 posts) - - Show Bio
@d0npierre said:
"I would, but only if it would've prevented other religions from rising up. "

WTF?  So, you're allowed to believe in your nonsense but no one else can believe in theirs?
Staff
#37 Posted by FLCL1 (9287 posts) - - Show Bio
@InnerVenom123 said:
"Jesus may be your lord, but he's not mine. =/ "

this. hes a great man but i would die for him
#38 Posted by Roddy010 (5434 posts) - - Show Bio

Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven....

#39 Posted by cascadeking09 (6698 posts) - - Show Bio
@d0npierre said:
" @cascadeking09 said:
" @d0npierre said:
" I would, but only if it would've prevented other religions from rising up. "
The thing is only Jesus could have handled wat they did to him. He had a choice of whether or not he would go through the whole thing, anybody else would've died. "
This has no intent of dissing you or your religion. But I'm pretty sure I could've done the same as Jesus then and I can name some other men who could've done what he did.  Maybe the question is, who would want to do that? "
Maybe I should explain. I dont remeber exactly how it went, but all I remember is that he didnt have to do the whole cross thing. He had a choice. They whipped him untill there was hardly any skin left on his body. Once they were done he didnt even look human anymore. No normal person could have survived the beating they gave him long enough to be put up on the cross.
#40 Posted by FLCL1 (9287 posts) - - Show Bio
@k4tzm4n said:
"@d0npierre said:
"I would, but only if it would've prevented other religions from rising up. "
WTF?  So, you're allowed to believe in your nonsense but no one else can believe in theirs? "

LMAO 
 perfect picture

 

or is it more like; 

 
#41 Posted by OblivionKnight (3347 posts) - - Show Bio

Do I have the knowledge of history I have now(ie say I was sent back in time.) Jesus' whole life was all about His crucifixion and death for our sins. So, should I risk all of our sins and make Jesus' whole life pointless just to save him? OR should I allow my Messiah to die at cross, knowing full well I could've saved Him. Either answer would be rather selfish of me and beyond my jurisdiction to make. Jesus knew what He was in for and accepted said consequences for the betterment of mankind. Right now, it's up to us as to what we do with it, lest we make His death pointless. I would rather look Him in the eyes, and see the passion within His soul to do this for us. This way, I would know I did something: I saw the true meaning love for one's fellow man and could hopefully pass this onto others.

#42 Posted by White Mage (18748 posts) - - Show Bio

If I died for him, you all might as well kill yourselves now, because you'd be burning in hell for all eternity anyway.
#43 Posted by N7_Normandy (2411 posts) - - Show Bio

Sorry, I don't die for heretics.

#44 Posted by d0npierre (377 posts) - - Show Bio
@FLCL1:  I geuss I wasn't to clear, where for I apologize. I meant, I'd die if it would prevent ALL religion from being born.  Atheist and stuff..
#45 Posted by d0npierre (377 posts) - - Show Bio
@cascadeking09 said:
" @d0npierre said:
" @cascadeking09 said:
" @d0npierre said:
" I would, but only if it would've prevented other religions from rising up. "
The thing is only Jesus could have handled wat they did to him. He had a choice of whether or not he would go through the whole thing, anybody else would've died. "
This has no intent of dissing you or your religion. But I'm pretty sure I could've done the same as Jesus then and I can name some other men who could've done what he did.  Maybe the question is, who would want to do that? "
Maybe I should explain. I dont remeber exactly how it went, but all I remember is that he didnt have to do the whole cross thing. He had a choice. They whipped him untill there was hardly any skin left on his body. Once they were done he didnt even look human anymore. No normal person could have survived the beating they gave him long enough to be put up on the cross. "
Still I beg to differ. I don't really believe in magic, ghosts or super beings (see the pun?). He might have been an extraordinary man but he won't be the only guy to withstand such torture. If you would look at people now and then. The average man has grown, lives longer and  is stronger then any man 2000 years ago. If he could've done it then, now we would have 1000 people at least who could pull that off. Seeing as we, last time I checked, tripled the number of humans on this little ball o' mud.
#46 Posted by cascadeking09 (6698 posts) - - Show Bio
@d0npierre said:
" @cascadeking09 said:
" @d0npierre said:
" @cascadeking09 said:
" @d0npierre said:
" I would, but only if it would've prevented other religions from rising up. "
The thing is only Jesus could have handled wat they did to him. He had a choice of whether or not he would go through the whole thing, anybody else would've died. "
This has no intent of dissing you or your religion. But I'm pretty sure I could've done the same as Jesus then and I can name some other men who could've done what he did.  Maybe the question is, who would want to do that? "
Maybe I should explain. I dont remeber exactly how it went, but all I remember is that he didnt have to do the whole cross thing. He had a choice. They whipped him untill there was hardly any skin left on his body. Once they were done he didnt even look human anymore. No normal person could have survived the beating they gave him long enough to be put up on the cross. "
Still I beg to differ. I don't really believe in magic, ghosts or super beings (see the pun?). He might have been an extraordinary man but he won't be the only guy to withstand such torture. If you would look at people now and then. The average man has grown, lives longer and  is stronger then any man 2000 years ago. If he could've done it then, now we would have 1000 people at least who could pull that off. Seeing as we, last time I checked, tripled the number of humans on this little ball o' mud. "
So u're sayin u think u can survive being whipped until there's no skin left on your body, having your hands and feet nailed to a cross, and stuck in a cave for days?  I dont care wat u believe in there's no way u or any other person would survive days after all that. U would've bled to death by that time. Im not trying to ask u to believe anything, but I dont understand wat makes u think anyone could survive that.
#47 Posted by d0npierre (377 posts) - - Show Bio
@cascadeking09 said:
" @d0npierre said:
" @cascadeking09 said:
" @d0npierre said:
" @cascadeking09 said:
" @d0npierre said:
" I would, but only if it would've prevented other religions from rising up. "
The thing is only Jesus could have handled wat they did to him. He had a choice of whether or not he would go through the whole thing, anybody else would've died. "
This has no intent of dissing you or your religion. But I'm pretty sure I could've done the same as Jesus then and I can name some other men who could've done what he did.  Maybe the question is, who would want to do that? "
Maybe I should explain. I dont remeber exactly how it went, but all I remember is that he didnt have to do the whole cross thing. He had a choice. They whipped him untill there was hardly any skin left on his body. Once they were done he didnt even look human anymore. No normal person could have survived the beating they gave him long enough to be put up on the cross. "
Still I beg to differ. I don't really believe in magic, ghosts or super beings (see the pun?). He might have been an extraordinary man but he won't be the only guy to withstand such torture. If you would look at people now and then. The average man has grown, lives longer and  is stronger then any man 2000 years ago. If he could've done it then, now we would have 1000 people at least who could pull that off. Seeing as we, last time I checked, tripled the number of humans on this little ball o' mud. "
So u're sayin u think u can survive being whipped until there's no skin left on your body, having your hands and feet nailed to a cross, and stuck in a cave for days?  I dont care wat u believe in there's no way u or any other person would survive days after all that. U would've bled to death by that time. Im not trying to ask u to believe anything, but I dont understand wat makes u think anyone could survive that. "
In fact my question for you is this. Do you believe that Jesus had God helping him or that he is a man with an enormous endurance? 
 
Because in the first case you're telling me that no mortal man alive could withstand such tremendous torture and only through Godlike intervention anyone could survive this. In the second, you believe that Jesus was a mortal man with an abnormal endurance and a freak healing factor. 
 
Whatever the answer will be, it couldn't hurt to think that maybe these stories are a bit exaggerated, like most of the stories in the Bible. 
 
Which, offcourse, doesn't say I don't respect you choice of believing. It brings values to countless live and made monuments being build that still appeal to the imagination.
#48 Posted by k4tzm4n (34920 posts) - - Show Bio

Tons of people were exucted in the same manner...How's that impressive?
Staff
#49 Posted by BaldursFate (181 posts) - - Show Bio
@k4tzm4n: Thank you!
#50 Posted by cascadeking09 (6698 posts) - - Show Bio
@d0npierre said:
" @cascadeking09 said:
" @d0npierre said:
" @cascadeking09 said:
" @d0npierre said:
" @cascadeking09 said:
" @d0npierre said:
" I would, but only if it would've prevented other religions from rising up. "
The thing is only Jesus could have handled wat they did to him. He had a choice of whether or not he would go through the whole thing, anybody else would've died. "
This has no intent of dissing you or your religion. But I'm pretty sure I could've done the same as Jesus then and I can name some other men who could've done what he did.  Maybe the question is, who would want to do that? "
Maybe I should explain. I dont remeber exactly how it went, but all I remember is that he didnt have to do the whole cross thing. He had a choice. They whipped him untill there was hardly any skin left on his body. Once they were done he didnt even look human anymore. No normal person could have survived the beating they gave him long enough to be put up on the cross. "
Still I beg to differ. I don't really believe in magic, ghosts or super beings (see the pun?). He might have been an extraordinary man but he won't be the only guy to withstand such torture. If you would look at people now and then. The average man has grown, lives longer and  is stronger then any man 2000 years ago. If he could've done it then, now we would have 1000 people at least who could pull that off. Seeing as we, last time I checked, tripled the number of humans on this little ball o' mud. "
So u're sayin u think u can survive being whipped until there's no skin left on your body, having your hands and feet nailed to a cross, and stuck in a cave for days?  I dont care wat u believe in there's no way u or any other person would survive days after all that. U would've bled to death by that time. Im not trying to ask u to believe anything, but I dont understand wat makes u think anyone could survive that. "
In fact my question for you is this. Do you believe that Jesus had God helping him or that he is a man with an enormous endurance?   Because in the first case you're telling me that no mortal man alive could withstand such tremendous torture and only through Godlike intervention anyone could survive this. In the second, you believe that Jesus was a mortal man with an abnormal endurance and a freak healing factor.   Whatever the answer will be, it couldn't hurt to think that maybe these stories are a bit exaggerated, like most of the stories in the Bible.    Which, offcourse, doesn't say I don't respect you choice of believing. It brings values to countless live and made monuments being build that still appeal to the imagination. "
In the bible it says that Jesus was 100% god and at the same time 100% man. So technically he was God. I remember learning in my world history class that the facts were everything I told u. Even If somebody were to survive the torture they put him through they would also have to survive being shut up in a cave with no food and no water for more than just a few days. Its true that some of this could be exaggerated, but it depends wat u choose to believe. In my mind theres no way any regular person could survive that so I do believe it had somethin to do with God, but to someone else that doesnt believe in things like that most of it would seem completely made up.