Would you consider Shield a good series?

daak1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By daak1212

Im a big fan of it but I also have my cons about the story at hand.  Its wonderful that they build and craft a world around living charecters but they have them doing insane feats such as beating Celestials, beating Galactus and fighting off the Brood.  I love it but its riddled with PIS, so I sit here and ask you would you consider it a good series? 

P.S: Speaking of series which series should I get into Sandman, Immortal Iron Fist, Astonishing X-men, Captain Britain and MI;13?
vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

What's Shield?

daak1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By daak1212
@Vance Astro said:
"What's Shield? "

/Facepalm 

Its Marvels new biggest series.  Its written by Hickman and it could have ties in with Secret Warriors and Fantastic Four.
Dro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Dro

It's not a facepalm. I didn't know either. EDIT: well, maybe it is for you...

Son_of_Magnus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

#5  Edited By Son_of_Magnus

LOL no

daak1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By daak1212
@Son_of_Magnus said:
"LOL no "

Really no?  Im having fun reading it but the editor must be a trashbag on meth too allow things like Galactus's defeat to happen. 

Although there are parallels to todays hero's such as Imhotep 

Clearly Captain America 

Leonardo Da vinchi is the Iron man of his day.  Theres also cameos by Apocalypse and a egyptian Moonknight.  Its such a good series to read but Im wondering if the PIS is enough to detract from your enjoyment value?
Dro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Dro

Is Hickman the Dungeons and Dragons author guy? The one who worked with Weiss? Or am I thinking of someone else?

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#8  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
@daak1212 said:
" @Vance Astro said:
"What's Shield? "
/Facepalm  Its Marvels new biggest series.  Its written by Hickman and it could have ties in with Secret Warriors and Fantastic Four. "
It's obviously not Marvel's biggest series if I had to ask.
daak1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By daak1212
@Vance Astro said:
" @daak1212 said:
" @Vance Astro said:
"What's Shield? "
/Facepalm  Its Marvels new biggest series.  Its written by Hickman and it could have ties in with Secret Warriors and Fantastic Four. "
It's obviously not Marvel's biggest series if I had to ask. "

YOUR NOT THE BIGGEST SERIES!!!!!! 

Marvel made a big deal about it and also the first issue had to go through 2 or 3 printings.  I have the 2nd printing.
Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

I thought this was about the DC series the Shield; I only read one issue of that but I freaking loved it. 

As for Marvel SHIELD, never read it, since I hate 616 Nick Fury.

Dro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Dro
@FadeToBlackBolt: It's not about Nick Fury. It's about the secret organization SHIELD during other periods in history. Which I don't understand, since it was revealed that SHIELD was actually a branch of HYDRA anyways.
daak1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By daak1212
@FadeToBlackBolt said:

"I thought this was about the DC series the Shield; I only read one issue of that but I freaking loved it.   As for Marvel SHIELD, never read it, since I hate 616 Nick Fury. "

Lol I probably should have made my self clearer.  Sheild is not about Fury, its about a faternity called Shield.  It is filled with important charecters of our world such as Galileo, Imhotep, Leonardo Da Vinchi, Nostradamas, Issac Newton etc etc.  It first started with Imhotep fighting off the brood and with that began the Shield because of his...shield...>.> how simple.  It's main goal is to act as a safeguard to humanity.
Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
@daak1212 said:
" @FadeToBlackBolt said:
"I thought this was about the DC series the Shield; I only read one issue of that but I freaking loved it.   As for Marvel SHIELD, never read it, since I hate 616 Nick Fury. "
Lol I probably should have made my self clearer.  Sheild is not about Fury, its about a faternity called Shield.  It is filled with important charecters of our world such as Galileo, Imhotep, Leonardo Da Vinchi, Nostradamas, Issac Newton etc etc.  It first started with Imhotep fighting off the brood and with that began the Shield because of his...shield...>.> how simple.  It's main goal is to safeguard humanity. "
Really? That actually sounds pretty cool.
daak1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By daak1212
@FadeToBlackBolt said:
" @daak1212 said:
" @FadeToBlackBolt said:
Lol I probably should have made my self clearer.  Sheild is not about Fury, its about a faternity called Shield.  It is filled with important charecters of our world such as Galileo, Imhotep, Leonardo Da Vinchi, Nostradamas, Issac Newton etc etc.  It first started with Imhotep fighting off the brood and with that began the Shield because of his...shield...>.> how simple.  It's main goal is to safeguard humanity. "
Really? That actually sounds pretty cool. "

Yeah it is, but there feats are PIS.  Galactus was beaten by...uhh someone... and a Celestial was beaten by...uh...some famous Chinese astronamer...I should probably read a history textbook.
Dro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Dro

Sounds to me like it'd be something worth retconning somewhere down the line. Or at least keeping separate from the 616 universe. Unless there's some serious magic/future tech involved.

daak1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By daak1212
@Dro said:
"Sounds to me like it'd be something worth retconning somewhere down the line. Or at least keeping separate from the 616 universe. Unless there's some serious magic/future tech involved. "

They cant retcon is because it also involeds howard stark and nathaniel richards.  They also said I beleive either in an interview with Hickman or in a solicit that it's main continuity and it's soon to be part of Fantastic Four and maybe Secret Warriors (people think that the box that Hydra is in possesion of is the spear Imhotep used to fight the Brood)
jefprice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17  Edited By jefprice

I'm not really sure where the PIS lies, Hickman has been given access to tell about the untold days of Marvel, it's considered 6161 cannon. None of the feats contained in this book are anything that hasn't happened before, (though this is meant to be the first time) and Hickman is known to us Marvel fans as someone who shows only fractions of his hand at a time, so what you mat think of as PIS now, will most likely be fully explained down the liine.  

When Secret Warriors came out a few cried PIS, those same few now hail it as one of the best new books put out my Marvel in years.  

I've been reading everything Hickman has done at Marvel, and I've yet to see him do anything questionable. I say give it time before declaring PIS, it's not like the guy had Rulk fight Thor in space with Thors own hammer or anything. When things like that happen, that's when we should be worried. -_o 

It is also one of Marvels biggest series right now, in fact it has some of the best sales from any publisher. It's been more then a little hard to not hear someone talking about this the last few months. Even die hard haters of Marvel have been raving. I'm a little surprised so many here haven't heard of it, even the CV staff talked the heck out of it.  

On the Hydra front, SHIELD was not always a branch of Hydra. SHIELD is older then Hydra if I'm not mistaken. But beyond that, what was reviled in Secret Warriors (Again by Hickman) was the Hydra at some point had gained a form of control of SHIELD and for at the least, a vast majority of the time Nick Fury was there, SHIELD was being manipulated by Hydra into doing Hydra's will on many missions. NOT ALL, which is why Nick was able to almost kill off Hydra many times.  

SHIELD the series takes place long before these events however, unless it is reviled otherwise later in the series. It's also important to take note of Leviathan, we know that both titles SW and SHIELD are connected, so most likely we will be learning more about Leviathan as well. 

daak1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By daak1212
@jefprice:
True but really out of anything its the Celestial thing.  The galileo thing will be revealed next week when issue 3 comes out.
Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#19  Edited By Caligula

i love shield, been a long time fan and probably my second favorite Marvel Book. I hope we get a shield movie after the Avengers. I would love to see Nick Fury, and Black Widow kick some butt together. and with Sam and Scarlett at least it would most defenitley be superior to the first one.

No Caption Provided

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nick_Fury:_Agent_of_S.H.I.E.L.D._%28film%29