#1 Edited by Vaeternus (9410 posts) - - Show Bio

All of this Gun Control talk had me thinking about this the past few months but I had forgotten to make it until now so decided why not.

Pretty much, I wanted to ask you guys/gals here since most of us read comics of some sort if you think Super Heroes or Vigilantes really existed to defend the innocent, fight for truth, justice and the american way like Superman, Batman, Spider-Man, JL, X-Men etc

Do you guys think the government/politicians would want to try to control them? What I mean by this is not previous stories in comics where the Government has worked, blackmailed heroes to do their bidding or anything but rather have a "weapon control" over the heroes. Meaning, you see all this stuff going on about Gun Control yet some feel it wouldn't change much and crime would still commence. So, what I'm asking is say Superman, Batman, Spider-man, Wolverine (I'll use them as examples) really existed, would the government try to have a "limited weapon" rule on them?

A Super Hero method control if you will..meaning, would those politicians in power like now be like "Superman, you can't use your heat vision or strength, too violent you could kill someone"

or

"Sorry, Batman but you can't use explosive batarangs, they're too dangerous" when you help us stop crime, criminals etc

or

"Mr. Spider-Man I'm sorry to inform you but if you want to continue fighting crime you can't use your webs past a certain point..."

or

Wolverine, my apologies but you can't use your claws anymore they're considered dangerous weapons only your fists, healing are allowed etc

You guys get the point I can go on and on but I'm SURE honestly if these guys really existed those certain individuals in power would try to control them, limit their abilities much like we see now with real times concerning guns. And of course you'd know like us humans now in the real world, there would no doubt be some heroes perhaps for it as well as against it...now we know most of these guys don't kill or like to, but that's not so much what I'm asking, but rather if you think they'd be ok with the politicians in power asking them to "limit their powers" while fighting crime, protecting humanity etc

Obviously if you take MOS and Spider-Man and Batman, those imo are the better examples of humanity automatically fearing these guys even though they clearly don't want to hurt anyone, but they use their powers, smarts, gadgets whatever to get the job done.

Discuss :)

#2 Edited by JediXMan (30976 posts) - - Show Bio

The Superhuman Registration Act would be the first thing to happen if superheroes came about.

#3 Posted by Vaeternus (9410 posts) - - Show Bio

@jedixman: you think so? God knows what rewuirements woukd be lol i would think it could vary depending on the power lol

#4 Posted by KnightRise (4785 posts) - - Show Bio

Vigilantism isn't exactly legal.

#5 Posted by Vaeternus (9410 posts) - - Show Bio

@knightrise: lol true, but if someone did exist and helped people, considering all the crime the cops and government would have to admit, better that someone is doing good deeds at least. Lots of people do things every day yet nobody cares or turns the other cheek...

#6 Edited by KnightRise (4785 posts) - - Show Bio

@vaeternus: If someone went throughout NYC, Detroit, New Orleans, LA, DC, or Chicago and beat the ever living sh*t out of every single criminal, lowlife, violent, murdererous, scumbag, they'd be still be arrested. No due process+no authority+assualt with extreme prejudice=illegal.

#7 Edited by Vaeternus (9410 posts) - - Show Bio

@knightrise: lol i nevsr said beat the crap out if evdry dirtbag but rather save people, help out the community us not illegal. You can be a hero without practicing punisher methods, and lets be honest sometimes cops take their sweet ass time to get some where, sometimes you have to take initiative unlezs you prefer potential death

#8 Edited by i_like_swords (15850 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah probably. People like Daredevil, Punisher and potentially Spider-Man would be shut down pretty quickly in the real world I'd imagine. Someone like Superman, however, would make an alliance with the government since you can't control someone that strong. People like Wolverine would end up in a lab. Infact most mutants would.

#9 Posted by Vaeternus (9410 posts) - - Show Bio

Eh clark and peter really share the same philosophy when you think about it.

#10 Edited by turoksonofstone (13199 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes.

#11 Posted by lykopis (10746 posts) - - Show Bio

@jedixman said:

The Superhuman Registration Act would be the first thing to happen if superheroes came about.

This.

@vaeternus: If someone went throughout NYC, Detroit, New Orleans, LA, DC, or Chicago and beat the ever living sh*t out of every single criminal, lowlife, violent, murdererous, scumbag, they'd be still be arrested. No due process+no authority+assualt with extreme prejudice=illegal.

That.

I am sure they would go about getting these superheroes some training so they can slap on an official badge of some sort -- like calling in the SWAT team. I believe anyone who has superpowers would be a pretty powerful weapon in the wrong hands.

#12 Posted by Wolverine08 (43758 posts) - - Show Bio

Could the government actually stop any super powered people like Wolverine and Superman? No. So it would be hard to get them to work for the government.

#13 Posted by batmannflash (6224 posts) - - Show Bio

Super heroes potentially make things worse but I don't think the government should have an all-out pursuit on them if they're helping people. A lot of times the cities may need superheroes because we all know the police can't find super villains, so the government is out of options there. Still, they should strive for a time when superheroes aren't needed, but as long as they are, politicians shouldn't try to get rid of their capable vigilantes.

#14 Posted by Vaeternus (9410 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolverine08: good point its not like they can really force someone like clark or logan now could they, now someone like batman or ironman the gov would be a pain for

@lykopis: hi there lyko chick :-P true, true im sure people would use their powers for good and bad im sure.

#15 Edited by lykopis (10746 posts) - - Show Bio

@vaeternus: Hey there, voice guy! :)

The problem (I think) is, the ones that would use their powers for bad are capable of much worse than the good guys. Everything would be reactive instead of pre-emptive -- it takes one superpowered goon to raze through a major city's downtown core to cause catastrophes. Sure, the good guys might be able to gang up on him/her and take them down but the cost (human and other wise) would be far too difficult to imagine. Realistically, it would take years if not decades to repair everything and what about loss of life.

The world would come to a stand still.

#16 Edited by mrdecepticonleader (18414 posts) - - Show Bio

@lykopis said:

@vaeternus: Hey there, voice guy! :)

The problem (I think) is, the ones that would use their powers for bad are capable of much worse than the good guys. Everything would be reactive instead of pre-emptive -- it takes one superpowered goon to raze through a major city's downtown core to cause catastrophes. Sure, the good guys might be able to gang up on him/her and take them down but the cost (human and other wise) would be far too difficult to imagine. Realistically, it would take years if not decades to repair everything and what about loss of life.

The world would come to a stand still.

Mwa ha ha ha ha ha!

#17 Edited by lykopis (10746 posts) - - Show Bio
#18 Posted by mrdecepticonleader (18414 posts) - - Show Bio
#19 Posted by Vaeternus (9410 posts) - - Show Bio

@lykopis: lol voice guy haha. True, but i do think it depends on the powers too. Know what i mean? I think if say there was a guy with powers doing bad things and the cops couldnt do anything, but only a good guy with powerd. Wouldnt u be the smart and right thing to do by getting or asking the good guy with powers to help or stop the bad guy?

;-) true however id rather the world come to a standstill and have good fight evil vs. Evil taking over the world all together lol