• 185 results
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
#1 Posted by utotheg38 (18883 posts) - - Show Bio

Had a conversation with someone a few minutes ago, He said this will lead to Mandatory Bag Checks/ Metal Detector Wand for movie theaters.

Do you think It's possible or It will happen?

Would you like to see It now?

Would you like to see Mandatory Bag Checks/Metal Detectors?

#2 Posted by SHAZAM117 (2664 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, a while ago in the movie theatre I use to go to in NY they had a metal detector we had to all walk thru...I wouldn't mind if they did starting doing this...But from what I understand this a$$hole came thru the back of the theater (I could be wrong though) So I don't even know, how truly effective having bag checks and detectors can be if the security of the entire complex can be compromised in other places besides the front....After something like this, there just needs to be better security all around the building

#3 Posted by utotheg38 (18883 posts) - - Show Bio

@SHAZAM117 said:

Well, a while ago in the movie theatre I use to go to in NY they had a metal detector we had to all walk thru...I wouldn't mind if they did starting doing this...But from what I understand this a$$hole came thru the back of the theater (I could be wrong though) So I don't even know, how truly effective having bag checks and detectors can be if the security of the entire complex can be compromised in other places besides the front....After something like this, there just needs to be better security all around the building

Increased security, Perhaps?

I heard that too, I thought the exits are supposed to be locked from the outside?

0_o

#4 Posted by RazzaTazz (9490 posts) - - Show Bio
@utotheg38: I am sure more details will come out, but from the sounds of it, this was not a spur of the moment thing.  He likely planned it, so he would have known which doors were open.
Moderator
#5 Posted by utotheg38 (18883 posts) - - Show Bio

@RazzaTazz said:

@utotheg38: I am sure more details will come out, but from the sounds of it, this was not a spur of the moment thing. He likely planned it, so he would have known which doors were open.

So what do you think should be done? (Security upgrades?)

#6 Posted by SHAZAM117 (2664 posts) - - Show Bio

Thats what I was justing thinking. A lot of those doors can't even be opened from the outside, and can only be opened from the inside kinda like a emergency exit. Idk, it just seems like this was pulled off WAY too easy and if you think about it, it's amazing something like this hasn't happened more often....Thats what makes it even more disturbing to me

#7 Posted by RazzaTazz (9490 posts) - - Show Bio
@utotheg38: The best security upgrade for the USA would be to get rid of the second amendment to the Constitution.  
Moderator
#8 Posted by YoggSaron (812 posts) - - Show Bio

I think a metal detector would be as far as they would go with this, or at least hiring more security guards. I don't think it will escalate to the point of the airport security.

#9 Posted by utotheg38 (18883 posts) - - Show Bio

@RazzaTazz said:

@utotheg38: The best security upgrade for the USA would be to get rid of the second amendment to the Constitution.

Agreed, But Obama will minimize the Issue since the nra are one of the highest campaign contributers.

Tighter Gun control Is all we'll most likely get

#10 Posted by utotheg38 (18883 posts) - - Show Bio

@YoggSaron said:

I think a metal detector would be as far as they would go with this, or at least hiring more security guards. I don't think it will escalate to the point of the airport security.

Of course not, It won't go that far.

I wouldn't mind better security for theaters.

On another note: I can see this being a huge part of the campaign 2012 from here on.

#11 Posted by CrimsonCake (2669 posts) - - Show Bio

I hate it when people start making pre cautions AFTER a disaster happens.

#12 Posted by utotheg38 (18883 posts) - - Show Bio

@CrimsonCake said:

I hate it when people start making pre cautions AFTER a disaster happens.

Agreed, It's odd how reactionary we are In america.

#13 Posted by Dracade102 (8167 posts) - - Show Bio

I really hope not, then I won't be able to sneak in candy and I'll have to pay twice as much for it in the theater...

#14 Posted by utotheg38 (18883 posts) - - Show Bio

@Dracade102 said:

I really hope not, then I won't be able to sneak in candy and I'll have to pay twice as much for it in the theater...

lol, I was thinking the same thing............................................

I just didn't want to say It.

#15 Posted by RazzaTazz (9490 posts) - - Show Bio
@utotheg38: NRA typically funds the Reps does it not?  I wasn't aware that they funded the Dems at all.  It doesn't really go with their image anyway.  Still it is hard to say, people from across the spectrum react with outrage to this stuff happening, but then a couple of months later it is forgotten and most people's love of guns start again.  Seriously how many times does to US need to go through this cycle - Columbine, VT, Giffords, Trayvon Martin and now TDKR?
Moderator
#16 Posted by utotheg38 (18883 posts) - - Show Bio

Sorry, Meant Romney. :D

#17 Posted by Raiiyn (3449 posts) - - Show Bio

@RazzaTazz said:

@utotheg38: The best security upgrade for the USA would be to get rid of the second amendment to the Constitution.

QFT

@Dracade102 said:

I really hope not, then I won't be able to sneak in candy and I'll have to pay twice as much for it in the theater...

I thought about that too but at the same time, paying a little more for candy is so trivial compared to ensuring that I can feel safe in a theatre. Of course, better gun control would help too.

#18 Posted by Quintus_Knightfall (84631 posts) - - Show Bio

Off topic a bit, but how will the media be able to talk about the film at all now without attaching this incident?
 
"The Dark Knight grossed more then wu wu wu but in the wake of the Colorado shooting these local residents decided to go see it."
 
"The final  installment of the Batman trilogy had a record opening, however, was it to blame for the shooting?"
 
And so on and so forth.
 
 As for the topic, tighter security sounds great but would it matter? I havent heard what kind of weapons he had but say there had been more security (would they have even been armed? Never seen theater security packing), would they have been able to stop him? Or would they just have been the first to get shot? Same with a metal detector(s), would it have stopped him from just blasting everyone before reaching the first one and walking in anyway? I dont know... 12 dead (and possibly more) is 12 dead regardless if its inside the actual theater, the lobby, or the parking lot.

Moderator
#19 Posted by utotheg38 (18883 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambler said:

Off topic a bit, but how will the media be able to talk about the film at all now without attaching this incident? "The Dark Knight grossed more then wu wu wu but in the wake of the Colorado shooting these local residents decided to go see it." "The final installment of the Batman trilogy had a record opening, however, was it to blame for the shooting?" And so on and so forth. As for the topic, tighter security sounds great but would it matter? I havent heard what kind of weapons he had but say there had been more security (would they have even been armed? Never seen theater security packing), would they have been able to stop him? Or would they just have been the first to get shot? Same with a metal detector(s), would it have stopped him from just blasting everyone before reaching the first one and walking in anyway? I dont know... 12 dead (and possibly more) is 12 dead regardless if its inside the actual theater, the lobby, or the parking lot.

True, But If they get armed guards It may have deterred him from going Into the theater.

#20 Posted by RazzaTazz (9490 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gambler said:
As for the topic, tighter security sounds great but would it matter? I havent heard what kind of weapons he had but say there had been more security (would they have even been armed? Never seen theater security packing), would they have been able to stop him? Or would they just have been the first to get shot? Same with a metal detector(s), would it have stopped him from just blasting everyone before reaching the first one and walking in anyway? I dont know... 12 dead (and possibly more) is 12 dead regardless if its inside the actual theater, the lobby, or the parking lot.
I agree with that, these crazies find a way no matter what.  An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, though that doesn't really apply in this case because you can't really cure dead people.  
Moderator
#21 Posted by Quintus_Knightfall (84631 posts) - - Show Bio
@utotheg38: Oh no doubt, thats a guarantee. I wouldnt wanna take my kid or kids (if I were a parent) to a theater where security needed to be armed. I'm not suggesting that at all. I dont know what the answer is only that it seems like a lose lose situation.
Moderator
#22 Posted by Quintus_Knightfall (84631 posts) - - Show Bio

I've always entertained the idea of EVERY citizen having a gun and being able to carry it on their persons. Sounds bad I know, but wait. What if, like with your license, once you reach a certain age (21 for the sake of argument) you're legally allowed (and encouraged) to own and carry a concealed weapon. It would start at (14...13...) when you begin taking gun safety and procedural classes. You go to Gun Education classes and so fourth and by the time you reach the designated age requirement you get your permit/license. 
 
How strong would someone's (like this shooter) convictions be if the place they wanted to shoot up was just as armed if not more so then they? Criminals are carrying concealed weapons anyway. Gun laws only handcuff those willing to follow the law, and that makes them a victim. Even if you ban guns, who's that stopping? Just John and Jane law-abiding citizen.

Moderator
#23 Posted by SHAZAM117 (2664 posts) - - Show Bio

It sucks...What's suppose to be a celebrative weekend for movie-goers and comicbook fans gets tainted by this horrendous act.

#24 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambler said:

Off topic a bit, but how will the media be able to talk about the film at all now without attaching this incident?

There's a long list of "cursed" movies with deaths attached. Pre-release and post-release.

Odds are, this will fall into the category of an unfortunate tragedy-- doesn't mean it will define the movie.

#25 Posted by Quintus_Knightfall (84631 posts) - - Show Bio
@InnerVenom123 said:

There's a long list of "cursed" movies with deaths attached. Pre-release and post-release.

Like this though? This hyped, this well known, this big, this close to arguably the most notorious school massacre in U.S. history?? This isnt Brandon Lee (not trying to downplay his death either). I hope you're right, but you already have the politic parties jumping in, the President cutting his trip short and returning to D.C. because of it. I'm gonna say there has never been a "cursed movie with death attached" with this much exposure. I could be wrong though.
Moderator
#26 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambler said:

@InnerVenom123 said:

There's a long list of "cursed" movies with deaths attached. Pre-release and post-release.

Like this though? This hyped, this well known, this big, this close to arguably the most notorious school massacre in U.S. history?? This isnt Brandon Lee (not trying to downplay his death either). I hope you're right, but you already have the politic parties jumping in, the President cutting his trip short and returning to D.C. because of it. I'm gonna say there has never been a "cursed movie with death attached" with this much exposure. I could be wrong though.

Didn't think about it like that. Nor did I know the President stopped his trip early.

Betting this wouldn't have had as much of an impact if it weren't in Colorado. Now everyone's saying things like "IT WAS CLOSE TO COLUMBINE. THAT MAKES IT MORE SIGNIFICANT THAN MOST HORRIBLE THINGS."

I don't really understand why that makes it more significant.

People die in Colorado like everywhere else.

#27 Posted by Glitch_Spawn (17132 posts) - - Show Bio

Honestly? I hope not. It's terrible what happened, but it's not like someone walked through the entrance with some guns right? I could be wrong as all I have heard is the initial news but, the guy came in the emergency exit or something similar right?

#28 Posted by Quintus_Knightfall (84631 posts) - - Show Bio
@InnerVenom123: Yeah, its just unavoidable. You cant have to mass shootings within a 15miles radius and not automatically connect the two.
Moderator
#29 Edited by Dark_Thunder (135 posts) - - Show Bio

@RazzaTazz: I must respectfully disagree. When a person gets to the point where he's planning on gunning down dozens of innocent civilians, I don't think the fact that him owning the guns in the first is illegal is going to serve as much of a deterrent. My theory for why so many shootings occur at schools is that any gunman knows that guns are not allowed there, and thus he can be guaranteed to have a huge number of unarmed targets. I've never understood the argument that forcing all law-abiding citizens to give up the right to defend themselves is going to stop criminals and psychopaths from committing violent acts. It might prevent a few spur-of-the-moment crimes of passion, but methodical killers like this guy, who obviously put a lot of planning into this act, are not going to be affected. Drugs are illegal, and how hard are they to get? The bad guys would love for guns to be illegal.

Just to qualify: I am not right-wing, I am not a member of the NRA, and I do not own a firearm, though I have in the past. I'm just someone who believes that if we are going radically alter our laws and our way of life, we need to do so in a way that will have some kind of meaningful effect, not just start outlawing things as a knee-jerk reaction.

#30 Posted by Project_Worm (3347 posts) - - Show Bio

Mandatory bag checks!? How am I supposed to use my girlfriend's purse to sneak snacks in?

#31 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gambler:  think is gonna affect it..
#32 Posted by SamRevlon (134 posts) - - Show Bio

I used to work at a movie theater, so I kind of know how security protocols go. Even on big showing nights such as premier we had two officers present along with staff security in case we had a rowdy crowd. They were armed too, with pistols, but it was a big chain theater. (At least in So Cali) however I couldn't help but wish we had metal detectors because I still knew that even with all that, there's just that potential..

In Los angeles they had metal detectors too, I can understand how they get tedious if they go off prematurely, but the movie theater should have simply staffed more protection. At least it would have stopped someone just waltzing in..

#33 Posted by Lvenger (18472 posts) - - Show Bio

And this is the problem with your Second Amendment to the constitution. It's good for the family that wants to defend themselves. Not so much for the psychotic murderers who can legally buy guns and use them in shooting sprees.

#34 Posted by Lvenger (18472 posts) - - Show Bio

@BlueLantern1995: Still it allows dangerous kinds of people to own firearms. And what kind of society would we live in if everyone felt insecure enough to carry guns around? There would be no trust between our fellow humans if we felt the need to carry the tools of death otherwise known as guns around with us just to be safe. That's not a viable solution to me.

#35 Posted by Uno_Oscuro (743 posts) - - Show Bio

@RazzaTazz said:

@utotheg38: The best security upgrade for the USA would be to get rid of the second amendment to the Constitution.

Taking away the rights to bears arms wouldn't solve the problem at all. Drugs are illegal and yet millions of people get there hands on them easily. People in gangs(most of them anyway) have criminal records(felonies) making it illegal for them to bear arms and yet those gangs have weapons to rival a SWAT team(well not quite), AK's, RPG's, etc. If it was illegal to own firearms this man would have found another way to obtain his weapons, in which case, he would have proceeded with this horrible tragedy anyway. Tighter restrictions and monitoring(although I'm not sure what exactly they would do) is the way to go about, but don't take away our rights.

#36 Posted by BiteMe-Fanboy (7594 posts) - - Show Bio

Damn this is horrible.. What a crazy fool. Too bad they don't ship him to Texas. DEATH SENTENCE.

#37 Posted by AweSam (7373 posts) - - Show Bio

@Uno_Oscuro said:

@RazzaTazz said:

@utotheg38: The best security upgrade for the USA would be to get rid of the second amendment to the Constitution.

Taking away the rights to bears arms wouldn't solve the problem at all. Drugs are illegal and yet millions of people get there hands on them easily. People in gangs(most of them anyway) have criminal records(felonies) making it illegal for them to bear arms and yet those gangs have weapons to rival a SWAT team(well not quite), AK's, RPG's, etc. If it was illegal to own firearms this man would have found another way to obtain his weapons, in which case, he would have proceeded with this horrible tragedy anyway. Tighter restrictions and monitoring(although I'm not sure what exactly they would do) is the way to go about, but don't take away our rights.

I live in Canada. Yes, people still find a way to obtain firearms, but they're less likely to use. If caught with one, they get arrested. It would reduce the number of firearms and people willing to use them on the street. Gun violence happens, but it's rare here. I agree, people shouldn't be allowed to bear arms. It's not like prohibition.

#38 Posted by joshmightbe (24692 posts) - - Show Bio

Taking away the 2nd Amendment would only work as a deterrent if you could talk everyone in the world to stop making and selling guns, then get all the guns on the planet destroyed. Then people would just go back to killing eachother with axes and hammers cause humans suck

#39 Posted by Dark_Thunder (135 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe: You know, I think I could live without the right to own guns if it meant I could legally walk the streets with a longsword strapped to my hip.

#40 Posted by cyberninja (10413 posts) - - Show Bio

Leave my guns out of this, damn liberals. 

#41 Edited by LONGTIME (926 posts) - - Show Bio

The oh so predictable we need stricter gun laws and lets get rid of the second amendment comments...... Wake the fck up people it'll never happen. Gun industry is huge in the US too many lobbyist in congress.

#42 Posted by Lunacyde (17981 posts) - - Show Bio

@cyberninja said:

Leave my guns out of this, damn liberals.

I don't know if you're serious...but seriously.

#43 Posted by Quintus_Knightfall (84631 posts) - - Show Bio
@SandMan_ said:
@Gambler:  think is gonna affect it..
I you mean $ wise? I dont see how it could not. Fox News had a scrolling report that the Paris opening has been canceled I'm sure more will follow. Not to mention the average movie going family who will no doubt stay at home. Already read a couple of those posts.
Moderator
#44 Posted by Lunacyde (17981 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambler said:

@SandMan_ said:
@Gambler: think is gonna affect it..
I you mean $ wise? I dont see how it could not. Fox News had a scrolling report that the Paris opening has been canceled I'm sure more will follow. Not to mention the average movie going family who will no doubt stay at home. Already read a couple of those posts.

I don't understand why they would do this. It could have happened at any heavily populated event. It's not like there was an actual link between the event and the movie.

#45 Posted by Mercy_ (92632 posts) - - Show Bio

He had an 'AK-47-like' assault rifle. There's about nil chance that it was obtained legally. He had a booby trap set up in his apartment (incendiary bomb, I believe), pretty sure that's not legal either. He was going to find a way to do this one way or another. He shot a baby point-blank, FFS, this is not a guy with a whole lot of morals going on.

Moderator
#46 Posted by cyberninja (10413 posts) - - Show Bio
@Lunacyde said:

@cyberninja said:

Leave my guns out of this, damn liberals.

I don't know if you're serious...but seriously.

I'm going to let you in on a little secret......I don't take internet seriously, ever. 
#47 Posted by Mercy_ (92632 posts) - - Show Bio

@LONGTIME: Watch the f-bombs, por favor.

Moderator
#48 Posted by Dark_Thunder (135 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lunacyde: Well said. This could just as easily have happened at an amusement park, mall, grocery store, or anywhere else you can find a large number of people. I don't want to have to go through a metal detector, x-ray, and pat down every time I stop at a roadside rest stop to relieve myself. At some point we just have to collectively realize that there always have been and always will be evil, sick, and violent people, and the possibility of encountering them is just part of the inherent risk of living.

#49 Posted by Lunacyde (17981 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mercy_ said:

He had an 'AK-47-like' assault rifle. There's about nil chance that it was obtained legally. He had a booby trap set up in his apartment (incendiary bomb, I believe), pretty sure that's not legal either. He was going to find a way to do this one way or another. He shot a baby point-blank, FFS, this is not a guy with a whole lot of morals going on.

Well put. Simply put abolishing the 2nd amendment will only deter law abiding citizens from the ability to protect themselves.

Mandatory screening should be implemented though like they have at many sporting events.

#50 Posted by Mercy_ (92632 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lunacyde said:

@Mercy_ said:

He had an 'AK-47-like' assault rifle. There's about nil chance that it was obtained legally. He had a booby trap set up in his apartment (incendiary bomb, I believe), pretty sure that's not legal either. He was going to find a way to do this one way or another. He shot a baby point-blank, FFS, this is not a guy with a whole lot of morals going on.

Well put. Simply put abolishing the 2nd amendment will only deter law abiding citizens from the ability to protect themselves.

Mandatory screening should be implemented though like they have at many sporting events.

Exactly.

And completely agreed.

Moderator