Why you get a "lump" in your throat when you cry

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By ccraft

Ever wondered why you have a lump in your throat when you start crying?

“One of the functions of the autonomic nervous system is to react to stress by changing how the body operates, to better deal with whatever is causing the stress. Emotions such as sorrow, fear, or anger are translated as stress to the autonomic nervous system, because the only causes of these emotions in our primitive mammalian ancestors were stressful situations. All mammals (and most other vertebrates) have developed a “Fight or Flight” response to danger, which gives the individual the speed to run, or the strength to fight, when attacked by another animal. To accomplish this, the stress of being attacked triggers the autonomic nervous system to increase the flow of oxygen and sugar to the muscles, so that they can be used more actively.

The increase in oxygen is accomplished at several levels: blood flow to the muscles is increased by making the heart beat harder and faster, and by decreasing blood flow to the internal organs; absorption of oxygen into the blood is increased by making the lungs breath faster; and air intake into the lungs is increased by opening the throat and mouth. The side effects of this are panting, heart pounding, and nausea. In the case of crying, which is the autonomic response to sorrow or grief, most of these effects are easily recognized.

An important part of opening the throat to allow the lungs to get more air involves expanding the glottis – the muscle which controls the opening from the back of the throat (pharynx) into the voice box (larynx) – so that more air can pass through it. So part of the autonomic response of crying is to use throat muscles to open the glottis as wide as possible. This doesn’t pose a problem until you want to swallow; swallowing involves closing the glottis, so that food doesn’t get into your larynx. So if you try to swallow while you are crying, the muscles for swallowing are fighting against the muscles for crying, and this tug-of-war over the glottis is perceived as a lump behind your larynx which makes it difficult to swallow.”

http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/1997-03/855114309.An.r.html

magnablue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Cool :P

hatemalingsia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Jimmy_Rustler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Depends

Avatar image for unbreakable_fs4
unbreakable_fs4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

nefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Interesting even though I rarely cry.

Avatar image for quinnofthestoneage
QuinnoftheStoneAge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

This is good to know. I've experienced some hardcore pain over some of these lumps, no joke, even when I let myself cry. It's awful.

Avatar image for symbioticspider-man
SymbioticSpider-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

I never cry, because I'm a MAN!

I cry every night because of my lost puppy.

mysticmedivh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rouflex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@ms-lola said:

This is good to know. I've experienced some hardcore pain over some of these lumps, no joke, even when I let myself cry. It's awful.

Yeah it is awful, it makes it pretty hard to hide that your abut to cry too.

I looked up why this happens a long time ago. I was visiting my mom and we were talking about some serious stuff which was making me emotional, I felt like crying but I was holding it in. And I felt the lump in my throat and it was hard to swallow, so I had to look up why.

I'm sorry to hear that, hope you find him soon!

science! ^_^

Avatar image for bluelantern1995
BlueLantern1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 26

nefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@ccraft said:

@ms-lola said:

Yeah it is awful, it makes it pretty hard to hide that your abut to cry too.

I looked up why this happens a long time ago. I was visiting my mom and we were talking about some serious stuff which was making me emotional, I felt like crying but I was holding it in. And I felt the lump in my throat and it was hard to swallow, so I had to look up why.

@symbioticspider-man said:

I'm sorry to hear that, hope you find him soon!

@nefarious said:

science! ^_^

Science is golden. :)