• 86 results
#1 Posted by joshmightbe (24885 posts) - - Show Bio

This thread is strictly for the purposes of helping me out on a story I'm trying to write. This is not intended for actual religious debate its just to come up with reasonable theories as to why a god or gods would feel a need to be worshiped aside from the standard theories about gaining power from it or just because they feel they should be due to superiority.

#2 Edited by SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26 (6482 posts) - - Show Bio

It could be what gives him power. Without it, he could be useless.

#3 Posted by joshmightbe (24885 posts) - - Show Bio

@spideyivydaredevilfan26: Yea but that theory has been used a lot and I'm trying to come up with something somewhat more original.

#4 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

@spideyivydaredevilfan26: Yea but that theory has been used a lot and I'm trying to come up with something somewhat more original.

Why do you need anything else? It's pretty much the best idea behind it.

I mean, I guess you could go that route Marvel went with Galactus, that all the insane things the entity does are to seal away something worse - so it's a necessary evil, or whatever.

#5 Edited by joshmightbe (24885 posts) - - Show Bio

@innervenom123: Its not a bad theory I was just hoping to come up with something new, I also like the idea of it stopping something evil as well but honestly at this stage I haven't even completely made up my mind as to whether it even is a need or just a want. At first the premise was that worship was just a status thing, like they didn't really need it but as a society they judge each other based on how many worshipers they had or how devout they were but I wasn't sure if that theory would justify it.

#6 Posted by TheSpiritStalker (2080 posts) - - Show Bio

A god doesn't need to be worthy of worship to get it. It is the choice of the subject to worship the dimensional-bending, universe altering deity or a statue of gold. It also has something to do with love, a god is worshiped because a person submits to it and gives me power over their life. At the end of the day, gods were made to be worshiped because religion is in mans dna and stuff and it is in the gods will to be worshiped.

#7 Posted by The Stegman (24298 posts) - - Show Bio

Could go the Freddy Krueger route, he needs them to worship him because without people knowing he exists, he in fact ceases to exist...though it's kinda the same as "he gains power from it".

#8 Posted by Bogey (946 posts) - - Show Bio

God is insecure

#9 Posted by joshmightbe (24885 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_stegman: I can't really use that because a major part of my story requires both gods that have been mostly forgotten and gods that people never even knew existed being around.

#10 Posted by joshmightbe (24885 posts) - - Show Bio

@bogey: There will be more than 1 god in this story

#11 Posted by Nefarious (20233 posts) - - Show Bio

Probably for recognition.

#12 Posted by joshmightbe (24885 posts) - - Show Bio

@nefarious: So you're thinking it should be more of a want?

#13 Posted by Aiden Cross (15569 posts) - - Show Bio

For protection. If there are more gods then one, the one with the biggest following will have the most control or protection of/from the other gods.

Or perhaps the amount of worshippers equals directly to the amount of angels he has. The more worshippers, the more angels he has that can do good around the world.

Perhaps it's linked to his feeling about the creation of new worlds/universes. If he feels loved he might feel like he should create more because the people appreciate the gift of life.

I can literally think of dozens of reasons :p

#14 Posted by joshmightbe (24885 posts) - - Show Bio

@aiden_cross: I was actually thinking of adding Angels to the mix along with other mythological creatures but hadn't quite decided how to use them yet.

#15 Posted by Aiden Cross (15569 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe: sounds like a good idea to me. I don't know what way you're going with the story. But maybe each god battles one another and their armies consist of angels etc. And the amount of worshippers increases their armies? :)

#16 Posted by joshmightbe (24885 posts) - - Show Bio

@aiden_cross: Well I wanted to include some action but its mainly the story of a relatively young god who's pretty much trying to figure out what exactly he's meant to be a god of if anything. Its set in current times tho it takes place in the realms of the gods just as much as it does Earth so the main character won't really be in any position to stage his own war since he really hasn't been around long enough for humans to even know he exists.

#17 Posted by Aiden Cross (15569 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe: hmm.. How about he lives on earth for a while to 'find himself'. And he falls in love, that's when he learns what love truly is and hungers for more. He begins to understand why other gods love being worshipped and so the story goes on?

#18 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio

Rivalry? Like there's some other God who has a bunch of followers as well and they bicker over who's better all the time and fight for followers?

Or maybe you could argue it's a God's way of marking territory (although that only works if you've got lots of gods in the story)

#19 Posted by laflux (15849 posts) - - Show Bio

Because he's lonely, or he has an superiority complex.

#20 Edited by joshmightbe (24885 posts) - - Show Bio

@decoy_elite: Actually one of the main issues within the worlds of the gods in this story is that there are probably too many gods so there is a whole generation of gods coming up that don't have much left to be god of that doesn't have a dozen or so gods claiming it already basically leaving a large portion of their society with all the powers of a god and nothing to do which can't be good.

#21 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe: So then it might work as a territorial thing. Heck you could have the younger gods ignore it which causes issues.

#22 Posted by joshmightbe (24885 posts) - - Show Bio
#23 Edited by JonSmith (3996 posts) - - Show Bio

You could make it so that a god can hear those who pray to them, allowing them to choose whether or not to answer those prayers. Given that that new generation of gods are coming up, without anything left to be god OF, naturally, they're not getting a lot of prayers, creating the problem of them not having anything to do.

As for why they need to answer these prayers: They don't. But if in your story, they're functionally immortal, they have all of eternity with nothing to do but party, which would get old after a while. So they answer prayers, send people off on grand adventures to earn their favor, etc, etc, to amuse them.

They wouldn't need the prayers for survival, they'd need them to pass the time. So your new young gods will get bored, and hence they seek out something to do.

#24 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6286 posts) - - Show Bio

What about something like, the world is definitely going to end, and the gods know that it is coming. At great expense and effort, a new 'heaven' is created to home the souls of the last population of Earth, but the head god has decreed that only the biggest religion will be allowed in, in order to try and keep peace amongst them. Each of the gods will feel the need to be worshipped by as many people as possible, in order to save as many souls as possible.

If there were five or so gods, they would each try and influence humans into believing in them, each believing they can save the most, but this leads to competition and rivalry between the gods. They start influencing their followers to try and destroy or convert followers of other faiths, in order to try and give themselves the highest percentage of followers.

Holy wars break out, and leads to the destruction of a vast number of humans, and when doomsday finally comes, there are so few humans left that there is no real need for the new heaven. This angers the head god, as the attempts to save humanity has led to more destruction than they would have ever caused on their own, with no religious influence. The head god casts the other gods into another realm, to spend eternity in exile, where they cannot influence anyone anymore.

Any of that kind of concept?

#25 Posted by joshmightbe (24885 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonsmith: These are immortal gods and a lot of them do have actual responsibilities but they still end up with a lot of free time on their hands so you're idea could work well and I could add a sub plot involving the gods who used to be constantly prayed to a lot like Zeus, now just sitting around and hoping someone will bring him up.

#26 Posted by Saren (25660 posts) - - Show Bio

The Freddy Krueger thing could work even for obscure gods; in the Sandman comics, the gods like Bast needed people to worship them because they would only exist as long as there existed people who believed they exist. As the ancient religions started to die out and Bast's followers dwindled, she could feel herself fading from existence. Bast isn't very obscure but she's not very famous either.

#27 Posted by joshmightbe (24885 posts) - - Show Bio

@v_scarlotte_rose: That could make for a great story but wouldn't work for this one, the main issue is that there are essentially too many gods and I'm trying to figure out how worship would enter in to it.

#28 Posted by joshmightbe (24885 posts) - - Show Bio

@citizenbane: The only problem is that this story isn't about gods who are going to disappear, its about gods who are going to remain around forever while at the same time kind of becoming irrelevant and how they're dealing with that.

#29 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6286 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe: Fair enough.

If there are too many gods, maybe only the ones with the most worshippers could be allowed to keep their position as a god.

#30 Posted by joshmightbe (24885 posts) - - Show Bio

@v_scarlotte_rose: I could see that being a pretty good story idea so please don't take this as me not liking it its just not what I'm going for here.

#31 Edited by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6286 posts) - - Show Bio
#32 Posted by joshmightbe (24885 posts) - - Show Bio

@v_scarlotte_rose: What I'm trying to do is write a story about a young god born with all the power that comes with being that but he knows he's coming to a world that doesn't really need him so he doesn't really know what he should be. It will be established early that there are at least a half dozen gods for pretty much everything so there is now a whole generation of gods with no real purpose living in a world where even the once widely worshiped and revered gods are struggling for relevancy and all the problems the situation causes.

#33 Posted by TDK_1997 (14889 posts) - - Show Bio

It could be definitely something like that gods only exist when people believe they exist.Otherwise they are wiped out or just become normal as the others.

#34 Posted by joshmightbe (24885 posts) - - Show Bio

@tdk_1997: That theory doesn't work for what I'm going for. Them existing when people don't believe in them is kind of a major plot point.

#35 Posted by MonsterStomp (17813 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe do a "Book of Eli". Prayer is a form of worshiping and it guided him pretty well.

#36 Edited by joshmightbe (24885 posts) - - Show Bio

@monsterstomp: Well the story is from the perspective of an actual god so the worship aspect would be more about its effect on the gods as opposed to its effects on the worshiper

#37 Posted by mrdecepticonleader (17992 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe because if they don't worship him somehow the world would end and cease to exist and because the god/gods have somehow become linked with their creation that if the world they had made ceases to exist so do they.

#38 Posted by OblivionKnight (3356 posts) - - Show Bio

I like the angel idea. Include that.

#39 Edited by Pfcoolio14 (1139 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe said:

This thread is strictly for the purposes of helping me out on a story I'm trying to write. This is not intended for actual religious debate its just to come up with reasonable theories as to why a god or gods would feel a need to be worshiped aside from the standard theories about gaining power from it or just because they feel they should be due to superiority.

How about the Gods having separated the world into 12 different regions. And based on how much they were worshipped within a specific area, they became the dominant god within that area. So it became like a political thing back in the day. But when everyone stopped worshipping, this allowed gods to have free reign throughout all the regions since no one owned them anymore. So now they're on equal grounds with each other. You could even change this into a multiple religion thing. Olympian gods had the region of Greece. Egyptian gods had the region of North Africa. Native American spirit gods had North America but as soon as the British came over and started converting people they were the first to lose their relevancy. Mayan gods in South America. Chinese gods in Asia etc. But eventually all of them were wiped out of relevancy when Christianity was made. Another thing you can do is how a god comes into existence when a set number of concentrated people in an area worship him/her. Their used to be more gods, like the Mesopotamians, but they either leave on some interdimensional type thing or fade away into some some spirit type thing. So the auroras in Antartica are the essence of gods who decided to stay on Earth. Like the Native American gods. I'm probably getting too complicated. But ya, that's my input.

EDIT:

A god could be reborn when their spirit essence is taken from the auroras when enough people worship. But theyre a different god. Say some Mesopotamian god was reborn into Zeus.

#40 Edited by nerdork (4038 posts) - - Show Bio

Because, everybody is a narcisit at heart. Except for me, I'm above all that. (see what i did there?)

#41 Posted by IfDCRuledTheWorld (656 posts) - - Show Bio

To win a talent show. The one with the most votes win, right?

#42 Posted by joshmightbe (24885 posts) - - Show Bio

There are a lot of good ideas here, I just gotta figure out which works best for the story I have in mind. I could even put in some doubt among the younger gods as to whether worship is actually a necessity or not, or if its something they even want. I don't have any problem with the theory of them fading out of existence but the whole point is that they are existing despite most of them being pretty much forgotten and ignored.

#43 Posted by PowerHerc (83461 posts) - - Show Bio

To beat boredom? For inspiration? To feed his ego?

#44 Posted by Z3RO180 (6522 posts) - - Show Bio
#45 Posted by InnerSuperman (858 posts) - - Show Bio

why would god want to create people?

isn't lust a human desire

#46 Edited by joshmightbe (24885 posts) - - Show Bio

@innersuperman: This isn't a religious debate, its just for ideas for a story I'm writing so whether or not gods created humans or why they would isn't an issue here. I have most everything figured out aside from how worship is dealt with and I'm trying to come up with a reason why they'd feel the need to be worshiped, tho I've already stated it can't be to keep them alive since its established that part of the plot of the story is that most are already existing without it.

#47 Posted by nick_hero22 (6867 posts) - - Show Bio

Low self-esteem

#48 Edited by joshmightbe (24885 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll be doing a test run of the story in the fan fic section. I'll post a link if anyone is interested. I'll leave the worship thing out of the first chapter so if anyone wants to get an idea of what I'm trying to do then give a theory they thinks fits it I'd appreciate it. I do like some of the elements presented in this thread and I may incorporate some of them.

#50 Posted by INLIFE (1600 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe:

Let's get funky.....

Aliens

Throughout the galaxy, long ago, several powers emerged from their respective star systems. They expanded and so did the interstellar conflicts. The first civilizations are the mightiest powers in the galaxy, having influenced and benefited several lower races during their continuous quest to increase power (Cold War). Humans are a part of one of these powerful empires and will be used as necessary when the time comes. They hold a strategic position and will be the foot soldiers that their fathers, our mother empire, will use during trying times in the galaxy. Using the genetic template from "angels", mankind experienced evolution far faster than they should have and now are the descendents of this galactic power. The royal family of the empire of angels is where each god comes from. The young god you spoke of is the next one to inherit the throne and is now wondering about humanity after he visited our planet to see the reaches of the empire. He realizes that, in order for humanity to survive, they need to worship him and acknowledge their true place in the galaxy and their mother empire. All of this is scientific, religious, and political. - Sci Fi

Just my take......I can give you more if you want, but I am stopping here in this post for now.