why won't my ps3 play an avi file?

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By danhimself

i have an avi file saved on my laptop and i want to play it on my ps3 through my media server connection....this has been no problem in the past but this just this one file will not play the ps3 says that it's unsupported data....can anyone help?

The Scientist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By The Scientist

Sony and Microsoft, other than that, i have no idea, try MPeG

Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Methos

possibly the AVI file uses a different codec...

most AVI's are a basic Audio / Video interlaced based codec but some can be encoded with DIVX, Xvid or a couple of hundred other codecs...

check the codec by downloading G-Spot, if it's not a basic one then you want to find something that will convert it to a normal AVI file for the PS3 to read

M

Hawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Hawk

Take this question over to Giantbomb

Perfect Cell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Perfect Cell

The PS3, just like the PS2 has an embedded MPGE2 decoder. So any file not supported by the MPGE2 will not play.. But the special thing about the PS3 is that you can just simply update it. keep in mind that the PS3 will play files only under the MPGE2 codecs, so in order to by-pass PS3 to play AVI files is to "convert" the AVI files to MPEG2. You can try Linux to convert it, but that would be less simpler than just having Nero convert it for you. Remember to use your MediaHome via the PS3.

http://www.nero.com/eng/nero8-introduction.html

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By danhimself

thanks guys....and i did take this to giantbomb and i actually did that first that was an hour and a half ago and have yet to get a response...   @ perfect cell- i have avs video converter and i started to convert it to mpeg...i have the free version since i don't have the money to buy an expensive program like nero....but anyway it says it's going to put a watermark in the center of the screen on the movie....any other files you know of that'll do the converting for me?

Resonate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Resonate

Now I feel like an idiot for not being able to help

Rachelove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Rachelove
hochrisdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can PS3 Play AVI?

AVI, a container format support multiple streaming audio and video, is one of the most popular and widely used video formats and compatible with many players, devices and software such as PlayStation 3, a famous home video game console. However, PS3 doesn't support all kinds of AVI files: only AVI files with Motion JPEG (Linear PCM) or Motion JPEG (u-law). If your PS3 can not play AVI files, it must be because the imported AVI files contain other video and audio codecs.

There are different options on how to solve "PS3 Won't Play AVI". One of them is convert any AVI files to PS3 more compatible formats with Faasoft Video Converter.

Hope it will help you more or less.