Why won't Japan truly apologize for their WW2 sins?

• 125 results
ganon15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@ganon15: they aren't denying that they did anything other than apologize. They shouldn't have to apologize so long after, that the next generation (who had nothing to do with it) would have to apologize. If an apology was to be made, it should have been directly afterward.

Loading Video...

Cable_Extreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ganon15: yeah, I said they said that they didn't apologize.

Eisenfauste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ganon15: Pay reparations for what? Give me a break they don't have to pay reparations for anything. All the people that had a direct hand in leading the country to war are dead. What you gonna make someone's grandson pay blood money? LOL.

ganon15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ganon15: they aren't denying that they did anything other than apologize.

Then why is it covered up and denied in schools and media?

Loading Video...

@jayc1324 said:

Why would they? They have no reason to.

Committing war crimes upon millions of Chinese, Koreans, and other East Asians to name a few

Cable_Extreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ganon15: because war crimes might be too gruesome to talk about in a school setting.

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#106  Edited By dshipp17

@joshmightbe said:

@dshipp17: I will never agree with the notion that a whole race being obliged to pay for the mistakes of their ancestors. By your logic some Italians would owe me serious reparations as well considering they enslaved my ancestors but that's not gonna happen because Americans have this weird belief that slavery was somehow worse here than anywhere else, slavery was always bad, everywhere it existed it was awful so unless you're suggesting Italy, Greece and Egypt bankrupt themselves paying back the literally billions of descendants of people they enslaved I don't see how its fair to hold white Americans who also never held slaves accountable for their ancestors actions. And don't give me that typical American racism speech, racism exists everywhere on Earth and in a lot of places its way worse than it is here.

We're comparing apples to oranges, if the Italians no longer have anything to do with governing your people. And, since you're in the United States, being Caucasian, you're already benefiting off the backs of impoverished African Americans. Who are your ancestors? The Italians are the very definition of a shell of themselves, while American is more of an empire of its former self.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ganon15: Every country has committee war crimes before. Apologizing would do nothing. Move on from the past. That's like asking a random white person to apologize for slavery in the US. Every country has done messed up stuff before. Japan doesn't owe an apology.

poeticwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Most of those people are either dead or no longer in office. The new government has nothing to do with the old government.

Now, what they SHOULD apologize for is trying to whitewash the history of what happen in their curriculum and books and such.

modernww2fare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By modernww2fare
joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@dshipp17: Actually I'm only like half or a quarter white, not 100% on the genealogy on my dads side but his last name is of Scottish origin. My Grand Father on my mother's side was a Ute and her mom was half Native American, I believe it was Black Foot. I'm not sure on the percentage but a fair amount of my ancestors were white. Does that mean I owe myself reparations for what white people did to Native Americans?

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Apologies are acknowledgements of wrongdoing, and acknowledgements of wrongdoing usually lead to expectations of reparation and/or compensation and this is usually the main reason why apologies are rare things on the world stage.

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@dshipp17: Actually I'm only like half or a quarter white, not 100% on the genealogy on my dads side but his last name is of Scottish origin. My Grand Father on my mother's side was a Ute and her mom was half Native American, I believe it was Black Foot. I'm not sure on the percentage but a fair amount of my ancestors were white. Does that mean I owe myself reparations for what white people did to Native Americans?

So no, I think not. Your people are now apart of the British Empire since they had anything to do with Italy. Comparing Britain to African Americans in terms of being oppressed and impoverished is completely absurd. Are you even paying attention? We're talking about a government controlled by Caucasian Americans, not individual Caucasian Americans. I suppose you would be owed reparations because it sounds like you're mostly Native American. I'm 50% Native American and about 25% Caucasian, but, based on my appearance, I'm treated as African American; I have a red hue to my complexion; I might be apart of the Black Foot tribe or a very small tribe from South Carolina; I'm actually mixed Native American at a certain level too; I don't know my tribal make up, but I want to learn more.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@dshipp17: Okay, fine. Lets say the US government were to go ahead with federal retributions, they'd obviously use tax money but we're still in a recession so that means they're gonna have to cut funding to something else to afford it. Then all the well funded lobby groups will march down to Washington to keep all their beneficial programs funded meaning the government would go after things that don't have billionaire backers like welfare and food stamps. Now the reparations might cover the difference for the black people who are on these programs but the millions of white, Latino and Native American families that depend on the programs will suffer, which will cause resentment, yes the government will receive a lot of it but due to basic human nature many will choose the easier target to take out their frustration on which means even more racial animosity toward black people.

I'm not saying that reaction is right or even logical but some people regardless of any reason you put behind it will only see one group getting what they want at their expense. You can give me any argument you want here, but we all know how it'd play out. The people in charge would still be in charge and basically unaffected while the lower and middle class will be the ones who pay for it.

If you say you want to fix issues like discrimination I'm right with you, I do believe that everyone should have equal rights and protections under the law but I don't believe for a second that reparations would do anything more than reinforce racial tension in this country.

Steve40L

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

this seems oddly specific but ok

noobsnowman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Expecting to apologise for actions done by past people is silly. Acknowledging it is one thing, but apologising when they did no personal wrongdoing is dumb.

jacdec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#118  Edited By jacdec

@noobsnowman:

Apologizing is a stronger gesture than expressing regret and implies taking responsibility for what happened. It is the symbolic side that must be considered.

Whathappened

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Guilt vs Shame. Shame bases societies, like Japan, will straight up lie for honor, they're fake societies that put up fronts while behind the scenes it's a shitshow

heiqn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#120  Edited By heiqn

Same reason people on other side won't apologize for slavery and terrorism previous generations did

ArranVid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

War is war. There's no good or bad. We were the villians to them I mean we melted their cities but we're not at fault persay because that's what war is.

It is spelt 'per se' not 'persay'. I am sorry for nitpicking.

temsbumbumm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

because they created hunter x hunter, which is peak fiction

ReaperTheGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

An acknowledgment of wrongdoing is one thing, but no country should apologize for past wrongdoing except the people themselves who committed it.

Avatar image for platinumchalice
PlatinumChalice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

cus all the people were involved are already long gone and nobody should inherit someone else's wrongdoings

also this,

because they created hunter x hunter, which is peak fiction

takenstew22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By takenstew22  Moderator

Mostly because the people who committed the crimes in the past are already dead and their rules/laws are no longer relevant or accepted.

noobsnowman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jacdec said:

@noobsnowman:

Apologizing is a stronger gesture than expressing regret and implies taking responsibility for what happened. It is the symbolic side that must be considered.

The people of the present are not responsible of the actions done by the people of the past. If apologising implies taking responsibility, then it is one thing that they should not do.

It also helps that Japan has moved forward significantly following what happened during the war, no longer embracing the values that led to committing those sins during the war. Their actions speak far more towards atonement than any words will.

takenstew22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 takenstew22  Moderator
Avatar image for deactivated-64969837cbeff
deactivated-64969837cbeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Japan gave me the DragonBall franchise, so I accept their apologies for tormenting my country and ancestors.

Avatar image for sixpathsofcapra
SixPathsOfCapra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Coz they have nothing to apologise for