#1 Posted by ssejllenrad (12847 posts) - - Show Bio

She was obviously Anglo-centric and placed a lot of problems towards the other home nations. She increased the unemployment and was obviously a huge factor in the great crash.

But why is it that she is "loved" by many? She's got her oscar-winning bio, she's got numerous awards, etc. I just don't understand why she is so popular?

I'm asking not as a rant but because all my knowledge of her were just from reading history and I haven't experienced her regime. I just want to know what I'm missing here. Not to mention I'm not British.

#2 Posted by mrdecepticonleader (18074 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't know.I didn't like her either or her polices (I didn't experience her regime) but I have heard bad things about it.
I have also heard other people say good things about it.But overall I didn't agree with he policies.

She gets alot of flak for closing the mines down.Now I can see why see did that but all the people who worked at them were just left out of work afterwards there was no jobs for any of them.

Conservatives will say they liked her,because they agreed with her polices.She was a conservative after all.

#3 Posted by Dragonborn_CT (22329 posts) - - Show Bio

No matter how divisive a opinion about certain people is while they are alive, once they die, it all changes to positive. "Never speak ill of the dead", you know what I I mean? This has happened to a lot of people in the past, so no need of examples. This is nothing new.

#4 Posted by Xanni15 (6758 posts) - - Show Bio

Cause she was in Doctor Who, and the GOAT Meryl Streep played her in a movie.

#5 Posted by RazzaTazz (9644 posts) - - Show Bio

Well she was considered one of the first politicians that led a strong push towards the privatization of state run enterprises. Those who love small government saw her as a role model. Those that like social assistance saw her very differently. Also she was a key member of the Falklands War and any war time leader will always be loved and hated for the same actions.

#6 Posted by tupiaz (2185 posts) - - Show Bio

No matter how divisive a opinion about certain people is while they are alive, once they die, it all changes to positive. "Never speak ill of the dead", you know what I I mean? This has happened to a lot of people in the past, so no need of examples. This is nothing new.

That doesn't seems to go for people like Stalin or Hitler. Pinochet don't have that much of fan base, however Thatcher was http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/304516.stm. Oh yeah and then is cover up when the police was guilty in 96 people dying but hey it was easier to blame the hooligans. http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1596713-margaret-thatchers-football-legacy-will-forever-be-linked-to-hillsborough

#7 Posted by Chaos Prime (10842 posts) - - Show Bio

whos paying for the Bloody send off? me the British Tax payer?

She stiched up the majority when she was alive & now in Death shes doing it again.

I just hope theres a priest on hand after the service at St Pauls because that place is going to need an Exocism.

#9 Posted by InnerSuperman (858 posts) - - Show Bio

she is a fool its that simple

#10 Posted by henrik (562 posts) - - Show Bio

She won a war .

#11 Posted by henrik (562 posts) - - Show Bio
#12 Edited by InnerSuperman (858 posts) - - Show Bio

yaaaaaaaaaaaaa this was interesting thread

#13 Posted by Backflip (2266 posts) - - Show Bio

@ssejllenrad: Because the mass media in the UK (Daily Mail, The Sun, The Times, Telegraph) is largely controlled by Right wing based groups? E.g News International etc. Only the Guardian and The Independent seem keen to strike out on their own.

But yeah, sure her economics weren't that bad, but everything else about her makes me grimace. She wasn't a representation of feminism, Russell Brand called her an individualist, and in many ways, he was right about the tyrant.

#14 Edited by lykopis (10746 posts) - - Show Bio

Pretty much because she was a head of state. Just the way it goes. Some people loved her, some people didn't but now she has passed on and will forever be in history books. Everything she did was lauded but also derided when she was Prime Minister (outside of the tragedy of Hillsborough).

Thatcher was voted in three times. She was Prime Minister for eleven years. The association with the Pinochet is on her; her comments were delivered while she was simply British citizen and not it's political leader. No one liked her when she stepped down, her policies destroyed her party's chances of being re-elected but Thatcher was good enough to represent that party for over a decade.

Not defending/exalting her -- there is good and bad in all things and it's crystal clear in hindsight. The history books will reflect that (hopefully).

#15 Posted by Strider92 (16499 posts) - - Show Bio

I guess its because private business were actually allowed to progress and make money under her. Unlike now when they are taxed to pay stupid amounts of money on people who are unemployed because they realized they could get just as much money (or in some cases more) being on unemployment benefits as they would if they worked.