Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

Now saying that the Malazan series is the best high fantasy in the last 20 years is a pretty big claim considering the amount of praise series like A Song of Ice and Fire and The Wheel of Time have gotten but I'm going to outline some of the reasons why I (and many others) consider this to be the best fantasy series in recent years in the hope that some of you people decide to give them a read. But first a description:

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

The Malazan series of novels is a shared universe of High Fantasy books written by Canadian authors Steven Erikson (Malazan Books of the Fallen) and Ian Cameron Esslemont (The Malazan Empire). Erikson and Esslemont are archaeologists and anthropologists who originally created the Malazan world (unofficially called Wu) in the early 80's as a back drop to their GURPS roleplaying game that they played when not in the field. Eventually Erikson would publish a novel set in this world called Gardens of the Moon. This was the first novel in a series that would eventually consist of 10 Books of the Fallen novels, 6 Malazan Empire novels and 5 novellas with one spin-off series underway and another planed after that as well as a Malazan Encyclopaedia. This is the very definition of Epic Fantasy.

Originality

Malazan may be High Fantasy but there isn't a Elf, Dwarf or Orc in sight instead they have there own unique races like the Tiste (separated into sub groups of Andii, Edur and Liosan), the Jaghut and k'Chain Che'Malle. Erikson and Esslemont take all the tropes you would come to expect from fantasy and puts them in a blender and just when you think they are about to fall into the same old fantasy tropes they suddenly take an about turn as if writers just like to mess with your expectations. Too many fantasy books ride on the coat tales of Tolkein by largely sticking to the same formula of having fake Europeans hanging around with elves and dwarves fighting orcs, what the writers of Malazan do instead is give their series a much more global feel. The massive Malazan Empire consists of many races that range from white skinned and ginger haired to black skinned and even the Napan whose skin is tinted blue, even Quon Tali the continent that the Malazan Empire belongs to is vaguely Eastern with the pepole that live there resembling Chinese, Japanese, Indian and Mongolian also a great portion of the action takes place on continents called the Seven Cities which is very much middle eastern and Lether which takes it's inspiration from North America.

Woman, Woman Everywhere!

Tall woman, small woman, fat woman, skinny woman, good woman, bad woman, warriors, mages, thieves, assassins, gods and even an empress. One pit a lot of fantasy writers fall into is the lesser spotted female. When this strange and exotic creature is featured she's usually confined to the roles of dainty princess or wife of the hero that "must stay strong" Malazan instead have females be apart of the bigger picture just as much as the males do but the writers never put them on a pedestal, they are always written just as "human" as everybody else. One of the very first PoV characters you meet in the series is a soldier and a mage in the Malazan army called Tattersail, she is a badass but deeply flawed character that is central throughout the entrie series.

No Caption Provided

It's Heartbreaking

After reading through just the first novel I was extremely attached to these characters and that only makes it so much worse when Erikson and Esslemont decide to take them away. This series isn't called the Books of the Fallen for nothing you know People. Will. Die. But unlike A Song of Ice and Fire where R.R. Martin has freely admitted to adding characters, letting the readers fall in love and then killing them off with no plot advancement just for the sake of shock value and padding out the books some, the character deaths in Malazan are organic and mean something. There is a scene at the end of Deadhouse Gates that has become known as The Fall and it is one of the most emotional and poignant scenes I have ever read in a fantasy book.

It's Smart And Rewarding

Reading the Books of the Fallen can be compared to playing Dark Souls or The Witcher, not in any stylistic way but rather both those games can be hard to get into at first and it's only after you get over the steep learning curve can you truly appreciate them. Erikson does not use much exposition in his books, he drops you into unknown world without any explanation as to who anybody is so instead a reader needs to pay attention to what the characters are saying to follow on or they may get confused. For instance if you are halfway through the book and your current PoV character meets someone they do not know they will describe his/her appearance and it's up to the reader to work out if they have actually seen this character before. Don't let any of this scare you off tho, Malazan fans have a meme called ROTFO aka Read On To Find Out. If you find yourself really confused, don't worry because that's they way you are meant to feel but everything will be explained in due time.

No Caption Provided

It's "Real"

The authors have said two of Malazans biggest influences are A Song of Ice and Fire and The Black Company (Erikson's 7th book is dedicated to it) so you know that these books are going to have a lot of grit but to stop itself from getting bogged down in the grimdark there is also a healthy dose of humor but not in the Jim Carrey ridiculous style but real human wit. A lot of the main characters throughout the series are soldiers in various armies and everybody knows that that means a heavy dollop of gallows humor and you just can't help but snort with laughter at one of the characters sarcastic remarks while the sit in the middle of a battlefield . One character I LOVED was Corabb, an incredibly earnest soldier in the Apocalypse Rebellion who manages to get himself in to the most dangerous situations possible but through sheer luck and bumbling manages to scrape his way through it every time to hilarious effects.

Final Thoughts

The two series of Malazan can be read as chronically as a whole since they are designed to complement each other or you can read them both separate OR you might only read one series and that's fine to. I very much recommend these books to anybody that loves fantasy, military or even mystery books, they take you on such a emotional and unique saga and I hope some people decide to give them a shot.

Dragonborn_CT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

I would definitely want to get into the series... I love fantasy stories like these with magic, dragons, fantastical races other than the humans. Despite being a fan of GoT, political intrigues and plots don't interest me that much (despite being what the series/books being all about).

Nice review Jonny... I am convinced ;)

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dragonborn_ct: Well I did consider writing about it but I thought it was getting too long but there is a heavy chunk of political intrigue in the books but it's mostly between the gods and their various pawns as well as the High Fists (military generals/city governors) of the Malazan Empire. Nobody is ever quite shown as a true blue hero or an out an out villain and when you think you've got it sussed it'll turn out you've been rooting for the "bad guys" the whole time.

Also thanks :)

RDClip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I know this is gonna make me sound like a jerk, but I read the Gardens of the Moon and the book (or world/characters/story) did not grab my interest at all. And I'm not someone who dislikes Fantasy, I've read every Discworld novel, gone through Joe Abercrombie's First Law series three times, and Dragon Age is my favourite video game of all time. I don't know what it was about the book, it just didn't do anything for me.

Dragonborn_CT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: My problem is that GoT/SoIaF is mostly made up of political intrigue (it what is best in for), its has some fantastical elements like the dragons and ice demons, and while it does build up to an end of the world scenario, most of the series focus has being on the political intrigue, shifting power between factions and stuff like that. As entertaining its is to watch for most of the fans, in the end its ultimately pointless as Commander Mormont said in the TV Show "when dead things and worse are coming for us, does it matter who sits in the Iron Throne?". Another thing, I could buy that this series is more grey on both sides, while in SoIaF, its certainly flawed people fighting worse people while black-hole of nothingness is standing nearby. I am sorry, but many of the villains in SoIaF are cartoonish characters like the Mountain that Rides or Ramsay Snow (its hard to buy both sides are sympathetic when they both belong to opposite respective sides and are guilty of rape, torture and many horrible crimes). On a good stance on this should be giving both sites realistically grievances and flaws, and leave the reader to decide who is the right ones...

Sorry I went on a rant right there.The fact is that Malazan has dragons, epic magic, creatures that are not elves, dwarves and orcs for a change and it looks f**king badass. I will check it out!!

russellmania77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nevet heard of it

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dragonborn_ct:Yea something I really like about Malazan is that it marries the gritty more down to earth stuff like ASoIaF with the crazy fantastical gods and magic like Lord of the Rings BUT completely ignores all the stereotypes and tropes that bog down maaaaaaany fantasy books.

@rdclip: That's very understandable, many people have said the same before but even the author himself advises people to start with the second book, Deadhouse Gates because he realises some people find his first book hard. And honestly I did enjoy Gardens of the Moon but it was Deadhouse Gates that blew me away and made me get the rest of the series. Honestly you should give it a go.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
russellmania77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@russellmania77: so does it look/sound interesting or are you not bothered?

russellmania77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@russellmania77: well it's sold a million copies worldwide so I cant be alone in liking it

Dragonborn_CT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: Can you believe a game can be made out of this series? How would you picture it being like?

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dragonborn_CT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: Maybe, but I was thinking a action RPG like Skyrim or Dragon Age?

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@dragonborn_ct: Oh yea, definitely. They probably couldn't really tell the whole story in the series but they could make set a game in that world. There was a guy over at Malazan Empire (a fan site I occasionally frequent) that was making a full conversion mod for Skyrim but he disappeared so that why I ended up making my Malazan Skyrim builds that I posted on here. I also think a Dawn of War style game would be really cool.

Dragonborn_CT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: Yeah, I was thinking that could work better. Adapting a series into a game isn't a very good idea. Even the Witcher, I believe where video games takes place after the events of the books. And since The Malazan is the story of many people, not a single one, its possible to make a game that takes place in the same setting, just like Dawn of War ;)

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dragonborn_ct: I think I might do another blog like this about The Culture series and then maybe one about the LA Quartet :)

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Interesting, I always like to hear about new (to me) highly rated fantasy novels.

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After I finish A Dance with Dragons i'm going to pick this series up.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maccyd: No problem, you should give them a look.

After I finish A Dance with Dragons i'm going to pick this series up.

DO IT! You won't be disappointed

BlackLegRaph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great stuff! I'd add that the humour is actually one of the strongest points besides the emotional wallops. Kruppe was definitely one of my favourites when it comes to that, but the only issue is that while his use of language is incredibly clever it may be dense for the uninitiated. Characters like Hellian make up for that in just straightforward comedic situations and quips.

I'm reading a lot of highly acclaimed fantasy, and so far the Malazan series remains at the top of that list.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blacklegraph: Yeah Malazan is one of those series that is in a league of it's own.

BumpyBoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 20

#24  Edited By BumpyBoo  Moderator

Glad this got bumped, I missed it the first time around. This seems like it might be worth investigating.

Avatar image for linsanel_doctor
linsanel_Doctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll keep a lookout for this series.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

KingHype

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey!

Fellow readers.

I went ahead and made this and as this thread is dedicated to pitching and analyzing a literary work, Id figure I'd share.

http://comicvine.gamespot.com/forums/off-topic-5/official-comicvine-book-club-1770615/#1

Grimngrumpy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

just found this post. I was craving all things malazan and looking to see if a game was in the works.

I want to say that no exaggeration i have read hundreds if not thousands of books. the only books I have read since the digital age of netflix and prime are the malazan series. I have read most of both authors books 2 times. best fiction best fantasy ever. I am currently going through the audio books for the second time with a co worker on our commutes.

If you have not read any yet give it a try. it is complex but worth it. first book introduces like 50 characters and every book after brings in another 30. the characters are so well written you can see them in your head. It is not a fun story, it is brutal, the people you care about the most will likely die. but it is hands down the best books i have ever read. Easily you can use Erikson and Esslemont in the same sentence as best fantasy fiction ever.

do yourself a favor read one or listen to one you will be glad you did
( the drawback is you will be jonesing for more after your 4 time through the series)