Why isn't racism illegal?

• 78 results
TifaLockhart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Freedom of speech doesn't allow you to yell "fire" in a theater. So it's not like you can legally say anything you want.

BiteMe-Fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

wut

Avatar image for deactivated-579e79a09210d
deactivated-579e79a09210d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Freedom of speech allows you to say what you want. We should stick by this

russellmania77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

lol cuz than comedy central wouldnt be funny anymore

comicace3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By comicace3

You can't arrest people for being racist. That basically trying to change who they are. Don't get me wrong racism is a bad thing but trying to make it illegal is too extreme.

Omega-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

Don't have to be white to be racist, even other races are racist to white people.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#7 vance_astro  Moderator

Simply being racist isn't a detriment to anyone's safety yelling fire in a theater is.

TifaLockhart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What about using racial slurs to provoke?

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cause some of the lawmakers are racists themselves?

russellmania77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#11 JediXMan  Moderator

Freedom of speech and freedom of expression.

What about using racial slurs to provoke?

If you insult somebody (say you call a guy a "jerk"), do you want to fear being arrested?

Yes, it's the same thing. If you make an exception for one type of word, you open the door to everything else.

No, it should not be illegal. Nothing involving expression of opinions, no matter how wrong they are, should be illegal.

PS: No, I'm not saying that attacking somebody should be legal. I want to make that clear before my words get twisted.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

Because it's a way of thinking, and as soon as you start arresting people for their beliefs, you start an even worse fire.

Irishlad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I think it's down to what the guidelines are for being racist. For example I know some African Americans consider being called "black" offensive and racist where as others don't. It's not as if racial abuse doesn't go unnoticed though in pretty much any work environment if an employee uses a racial slur they're usually either fined or fired

TifaLockhart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why are there "hate crimes" then? If the law is to be impartial, why do they differentiate there and not when it comes to slurs?

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#15  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

Why are there "hate crimes" then? If the law is to be impartial, why do they differentiate there and not when it comes to slurs?

-_- Really? You're comparing physical assaults to saying racial slurs?

TifaLockhart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. I'm saying the law makes a note of race in the case of a hate crime, so it isn't as if it doesn't know racism exists. For the record, I believe a crime is a crime, no matter who it is against.

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There will always be that one person keen to carry on the racism legacy. That's why the new generation are still racist. I've been bullied because I'm a halfcast and I'm pretty sure I'll stab someone with a pencil if it happened again, but that doesn't change what they said or if they'll say it again.

TifaLockhart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm sorry to hear that.

Irishlad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A hate crime isn't tied to race specifically there was recently a group of teenagers convicted and charged with hate crimes becausetl they attacked a girl because she was emo. You do have a fair point though one thing I will say there's a difference between insulting someone over who they are and hurting someone over who they are.

Avatar image for norrinboltagonprime21
NorrinBoltagonPrime21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because its ridiculous. The US has freedom of speech so we can say whatever we (except fire in a movie theater) want whether people like it or not. People say things we don't like or something offensive all the time but arresting them is extreme.

Same things applies to provoking. It all comes down to who hits first, not who started it. A part of freedom of speech is the right to offend people.

A better way to combat racism is to never teach it.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#21 SC  Moderator

Shouting fire falsely in a theater is relatively simple. It can cause financial damage, takes place in a business and potentially endangers lives if there is panic. An elderly black guy seeing a huge Asian guy wearing blue and red bandana's on his belt with swords tattooed on his arms then walking across the road to be on the other side of the street - how is that illegal? It might be a little racist if the black guy thinks the Asian is in a kung fu maths gang but if its a huge Asian with swords on his arms and Crips and Bloods gang paraphernalia might just be the black man being cautious.

Certain types of hate speech are illegal, like when it can incite crowds to harm others based on skin color, but racism is a very broad topic, much like sexism and actually technically speaking, although racism is usually inferred and spoken about solely as a negative, that isn't always the case. A white man thinking most black people dance better than white people is a type of discrimination, but its usually not considered as negatively or frowned upon the same way as a white man thinking most black people steal cars better than white people. A black man thinking white people are more intelligent is different from a black person thinking more white people actually like Tupac more than black people. Sometimes its not so much racism as much as it is ignorance or misunderstanding.

Racism has shades. Its harder to legislate, enforce and rule on shades especially when it overlaps with a persons rights.

Dabee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Dabee

You can't make a mindset illegal, and people tend to speak out of their mindsets. I love the fact that people can call me a greedy kike, despite being a Jew. I don't love people who do, but I love that we have the right to say what we want, even if it does lead to that. When you start banning racism in speech, it's a slippery slope.

cyberninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

#23  Edited By cyberninja

In short, because stupidity is legal.

Vortex13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because Wayne Brady makes Bryant Gumbel look like Malcolm X.

Who else misses that show?

TifaLockhart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By TifaLockhart

I miss it. Bought seasons one and two on DVD at a garage sale today.

Anyway, it doesn't have to be jail for people who violate it, even something as little as a fine would be nice. I hear its technically illegal to swear in public. Good luck enforcing that.

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@vortex13 said:

Because Wayne Brady makes Bryant Gumbel look like Malcolm X.

Who else misses that show?

spits drink hahahahaha I miss the hell out of that show.

TifaLockhart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pfft. If someone doesn't like me, I'll get over it. But I hated and still hate when people use derogatory terms in regards to race.

Avatar image for fenixrevolution
fenixREVOLUTION

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People have the right to be, Constitution and all.

If you're willing to forego the obvious obstacle, goodluck proving it in court.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Here's the thing about freedom of speech, if you want to be free to express your opinion then you have to also agree that those you don't agree with also have that freedom. I disagree with racism, I find it stupid and useless but everyone has the right to have their say even if its dumb.

TifaLockhart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By TifaLockhart

Tell that to my grade school. Teachers didn't care.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

The reason racism isn't illegal is probably due to the slippery slope it would put us on, first you illegalize racist speech maybe someone decides they should go ahead and make cussing illegal, then maybe they start just going after anything anyone finds offensive, then we end up all sanitized and once people start worrying about getting arrested for offending people they stop speaking out against bad things the government is doing which means that no one would be stopping from doing those things.

Basically its one of those things where you gotta take the good with the bad, or else we get subjected to something worse than being offended.

M3th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By M3th

I think it will also be hard to prove in court. I mean why isn't affairs illegal?

Avatar image for redbird3rdboywonder
redbird3rdboywonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because you can't make stupidity illegal and actually freedom of speech does allow yo to yell fire in a theater if there in fact is a fire or you thought you smelled smoke

judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Where's George Carlin when you need him........

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Where's George Carlin when you need him........

In heaven with God and all the saints... Oh wait.... Nyahahahahahahaha!

reignmaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Freedom of speech is only as powerful as we choose to make it.

BumpyBoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 20

#39  Edited By BumpyBoo  Moderator

Here's the thing about freedom of speech, if you want to be free to express your opinion then you have to also agree that those you don't agree with also have that freedom. I disagree with racism, I find it stupid and useless but everyone has the right to have their say even if its dumb.

Exactly.

SilverGalford

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By SilverGalford

if racism is illegal then

bash or hate people beliefs should be illegal

bash or hate people who smoke should be illegal

bash or hate gay people should be illegal

and so on.

Here's the thing about freedom of speech, if you want to be free to express your opinion then you have to also agree that those you don't agree with also have that freedom.

now people who express an opinion also would like to agree ? .

judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By judasnixon
PurpleCandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By PurpleCandy

Racist leaders should be in jail. The KKK or skinhead ones preach "We wanna kill and kick out all n*gg*rs and osamas out of amurica", or ones like Jesse Jackson who say "We need to kill all White people". So if death threats are illeagal, how exactly do they get away with it, esp. since their still civilians.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#43  Edited By InnerVenom123

The downside of the first amendment.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

Hahahahahahahaha

Avatar image for turoksonofstone
turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 24

I want to believe this one.

Jezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't have to be white to be racist, even other races are racist to white people.

Where did this even come from?

PurpleCandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jezer said:

@omega_man_ said:

Where did this even come from?

Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, some mexican dudes http://rense.com/general70/ana.htm. They claim not to judge people by their past or by a few but do the same things against whites. To be honest, I'm actually patriotic, but most of Southern U.S. used to belong to Mexico, there always illeagally going their, fair enough. As far as the other parts, stay out!

Nerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

First amendment b!tches, you can be as rude as you want and there is nothing to be done about it. Indecency is protected by it :) , obscenity not so much though.

Loading Video...

Telcalipoca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

hate speech is part of freedom of speech/expression and its protected so long as it doesnt cause physical harm to someone else. once actions are acted upon those negative views it then becomes a hate crime and its no longer part of freedom of expression. you may not like it but to take it away means someone will decide what views are permitted and which are not ,effectively shutting you up unless wish to live inside a cage.

and its my own personal believe that a person aught to be free to express their love and or hate freely so long as it doesnt physically harm someone. "The right to swing my fist ends where the other man's nose begins" .

Bruxae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Simply being racist isn't a detriment to anyone's safety yelling fire in a theater is.

This

And this.