• 53 results
ganon15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ganon15

Why is the 2nd most successful film of all time hated so much? I want to hear your opinions, comicviners!

No Caption Provided

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#2 frozen  Moderator

@ganon15: It's melodramatic and there's nothing really notable about the film-making. It's not a true Historical epic.

Titatnic should have followed the style of Lawrence of Arabia (1962) or Gandhi (1982).

ganon15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ganon15

@frozen said:

@ganon15: It's melodramatic and there's nothing really notable about the film-making. It's not a true Historical epic.

Titatnic should have followed the style of Lawrence of Arabia (1962) or Gandhi (1982).

Are you kidding? It had revolutionary visual effects that made you feel like you're on the ship with the characters!

Avatar image for deactivated-5b2e798651249
deactivated-5b2e798651249

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

@ganon15 said:

@frozen said:

Are you kidding? It had revolutionary visual effects that made you feel like you're on the ship with the characters! James Cameron is a very talented director

You asked for his opinion, and he gave it to you.

ganon15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@logy5000 said:

@ganon15 said:

@frozen said:

Are you kidding? It had revolutionary visual effects that made you feel like you're on the ship with the characters! James Cameron is a very talented director

You asked for his opinion, and he gave it to you.

He said there's nothing really notable about the film-making, which sounds like he's making it out to be a fact

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#6  Edited By frozen  Moderator

@ganon15: I didn't make it out to be a fact, that was my opinion. The visuals weren't that impressive, Avatar had revolutionary visuals but Titanic, not so much...

Cameron is talented but he's made much better films than Titanic.

Avatar image for symbioticspider-man
SymbioticSpider-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

It's not.

ganon15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sophia89 said:

@ganon15: Cause Leo could have lived if she didn't act like an idiot.

Cause she threw a super expensive necklace in the ocean for no reason,pretty sure her daughter or the guys that invited her would have liked getting it.

And lots of other personal feelings that I don't want to share.

no go on, I want to know every reason people hate this movie

Cream_God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Because a lot of us thought it was a revolutionary film that helped advance gay rights till we found out the red head wasnt a guy.

ganon15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because a lot of us thought it was a revolutionary film that helped advance gay rights till we found out the red head wasnt a guy.

Lol that's a new one

Avatar image for deactivated-5b2e798651249
deactivated-5b2e798651249

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I never knew it was hated. Every person that tells me about it sobs about how great it is.

ganon15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@logy5000 said:

I never knew it was hated. Every person that tells me about it sobs about how great it is.

It's the contrary from my experience :/

modernww2fare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

this video should explain it

Loading Video...

AfricanWilds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By AfricanWilds

@ganon15:

1. Because they tried to capitalize on a significant tragic event in history and make it into a love story. Probably annoyed a lot of historians and history buffs. This strategy was pretty much duplicated later with Pearl Harbor (2001), power ballad and all, and people felt the same way about that.

2. Heavily-cliched romance, cheesy, cringey acting and dialogue from Dicaprio. A lot of cheese and ham.

3. You couldn't get away from the Celine Dion song after the film came out. It was everywhere, for a long time.

4. Film was like 3 hrs. A bit long.

5. People love to hate popular films with melodramatic, tragic love stories (Pearl Harbor, The Notebook, A Walk to Remember, Star Wars prequels). Romantic comedies never get that criticism.

Personally, I think the film is brilliant. And the song is just as brilliant (I can play the theme on piano).

ganon15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@africanwilds: I can't believe it, Someone on this site who actually likes the movie!

this video should explain it

Loading Video...

I'll check it out, thanks mate

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 the_stegman  Moderator

I just don't like romance plots, so I found two thirds of the film boring. But I loved the third act when the ship actually began to sink.

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm just here to post this...

No Caption Provided

@jaken7

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Wolfrazer  Online

What's the 1st movie?

ganon15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What's the 1st movie?

what do you mean 1st movie?

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Wolfrazer  Online

@ganon15: Why is the 2nd most successful film of all time hated?

AfricanWilds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

tensor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

You steal another Man, Woman.

Karma is going to get you.

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Spambot

When 50% of your movie's box office(yes I just made that figure up off the top of my head) came from girls in the 12-18 age range it doesn't mean it was a great movie regardless of how much money it made. There were thousands if not tens of thousands of teen girls who saw it over a dozen times in theaters. If you think its a great movie that's fine but no one is under any obligation to bow down before its box office or its Oscar(which had a lot to do with its box office numbers imo) as though that means we have to like it or respect it as a great movie. Much like how two of the highest grossing cbm movies are the first two spidermans but you don't see too many people who consider them to be great movies even by cbm standards.

AfricanWilds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spambot: If you just basically said that Titanic was the Justin Bieber of films during that time, then you are dead wrong. Sure, a lot of adolescent girls went to see it, a LOT. But it wasn't Twilight...far from it. There was a lot more to it than the love story. It has real profound moments and substance. Most of all, it was careful enough to pay homages to what really happened and make them interesting and important in the movie. That gave it loads of integrity.

If you hate Titanic, you must hate Forrest Gump, or Ray, Cash - anything that succeeded in touching real events in history and making them appealing and compelling to the younger audience. Please believe that nowhere near that many 12-18 yr olds would have gone to see the movie if it wasn't that great. That many teens aren't sheep.

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Spambot

@africanwilds: That's not really what I said at all. What I was specifically addressing is the idea that because it grossed a huge amount of money that it must be good. I didn't say it was crap or even a terrible movie or anything like that. You can't try and say I am wrong for not liking the movie anymore than I can say all the people on cv who don't like the Godfather movies are wrong. Also, because I don't particularly care for Titanic hardly means I must hate any other movie you feel like listing. You are really stretching to try and make points in your post.

AfricanWilds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spambot: Tell me where I said you were "wrong for not liking the movie"?

BatWatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

I actually missed it when it came out and watched it for the first time a few months ago, and I thought it was great. Even knowing most of the plot points, I thought it was a great ride, and the ending was beautiful. My only complaint was that the female lead character was a bit annoying. I know she was pretty, but I just kept thinking...why Jack? Why?

I'm guessing it's just a general hatred for the popular.

Bluejay4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@africanwilds: Ironically enough I don't like any of those movies.

Avatar image for transformers1024
Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

*Rated

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Spambot

@africanwilds: You attempted to refute my opinion that it wasn't very good by everything you said in your reply and then tried to further cement your idea that its a great movie on the sole basis of how many teens liked it and how that many teens couldn't be wrong. I don't share that opinion however and yes teenage girls are prob the biggest sheep on the entire planet when it comes to pop culture.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought it was awesome. It made 2 billion dollars, it can't possibly be that hated.

KingWillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By KingWillie

It always annoyed me how at the end they can't both just stay on the bigass, floating door, that is blatantly big enough for both of them.

Always enjoyed the movie though, was one of the first time I saw boobs as a kid so it holds a special nostalgic place in my heart lol.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Probably because all these years later, people finally realized that it sucks.

ganon15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Am I the first person here to use the word "over-hated" btw? I don't think I've ever heard anyone else use that word before

kyrees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

it's a melodramatic movie lifted from one of the most tragic ship related disasters ever.

ganon15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@modernww2fare: I finished watching your video. Very funny, yet very well-constructed review of the movie(or movies since he covered the previous Titanic movies). Yeah, it had its flaws like any other film.

Stormdriven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought the movie was garbage. THERE WAS ROOM FOR BOTH OF THEM ON THAT DOOR

Avatar image for majinblackheart
MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 7

#41 MajinBlackheart  Moderator

People went to see it because they knew the ship would sink. No one falls hopelessly in love in such a short time. I can only hear the words 'jack' and 'rose' so many times.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

nefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#43  Edited By nefarious

People expect too much.

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@batwatch said:

I actually missed it when it came out and watched it for the first time a few months ago, and I thought it was great. Even knowing most of the plot points, I thought it was a great ride, and the ending was beautiful. My only complaint was that the female lead character was a bit annoying. I know she was pretty, but I just kept thinking...why Jack? Why?

I'm guessing it's just a general hatred for the popular.

Bingo.

I do want to say I didn't particularly enjoy the film myself and this was mostly due to the romance angle. Everything else was cool, though.

dngn4774

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

Whiney romance undermines good storytelling on any scale. Furthemore, popularity isn't necessarily a synonym for greatness.

BlackLegRaph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just don't like romance plots, so I found two thirds of the film boring. But I loved the third act when the ship actually began to sink.

Same for me.

comicace3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mythbusters ruined it for me.

Ultragreenboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers