#1 Posted by joshmightbe (24692 posts) - - Show Bio

I understand that nobody likes a tattle tale but whenever you see informants on TV or in movies about street crime they're always treated like the lowest of the low, like on episodes of SVU where people don't tell on a rapist because they don't want to be viewed as a snitch, or in movies with drug dealers where snitches are barely considered human by the cops or the criminals they're informing on, is telling on someone for selling crack really worse than selling crack?

It makes even less sense when its something dealing with police internal affairs, a cop will go directly from telling a suspect that he has nothing to fear from people investigating them if they did nothing wrong to getting pissy with the IA guy for investigating them, isn't that pretty much the definition of hypocrisy?

#2 Edited by DecoyElite (4019 posts) - - Show Bio

Popular culture is made of hypocrisy and I will sell any of you down the river in a heartbeat.

#3 Posted by joshmightbe (24692 posts) - - Show Bio

@decoyelite: I have noticed that in general the person speaking most loudly against snitching is probably ratting on everyone they know. Its the same principal as a closeted gay guy screaming about how much he hates the gays.

#4 Posted by silkyballfro94 (1560 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't know, yo no se, je ne sais pas.

#5 Posted by DecoyElite (4019 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe: I guess, all I know is that I've been told "snitches get stitches" like 100 times and still no one has come to fight me for getting them into trouble. So I'm unimpressed with people who act like hard asses about snitching in general.

#6 Posted by warlock360 (28050 posts) - - Show Bio

You know that invisible stuff people were made out of back in the day? They call it "Honor".

#7 Posted by XImpossibruX (5170 posts) - - Show Bio

Shitty rap music should not be taken seriously.

#8 Posted by Night Thrasher (3606 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe: You have to understand what "snitching" really is. Not what the media has defined it as. Snitching is turning informant on crimes you were previously engaged in to lessen the punishment for your own crimes. So if you snitch, you not only did the crime but also brought people down with you. That's why it's considered worse than the crime!

#9 Posted by joshmightbe (24692 posts) - - Show Bio

@warlock360: If people had honor then odds are a snitch wouldn't have anything to snitch them out over.

#10 Posted by warlock360 (28050 posts) - - Show Bio
#11 Posted by Wolverine08 (38899 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe: You have to understand what "snitching" really is. Not what the media has defined it as. Snitching is turning informant on crimes you were previously engaged in to lessen the punishment for your own crimes. So if you snitch, you not only did the crime but also brought people down with you. That's why it's considered worse than the crime!

Pretty much this.

#12 Posted by joshmightbe (24692 posts) - - Show Bio

@night_thrasher: I'm referring to it in the general sense that the media presents it and that tends to be just anyone who tells the police about a crime that aren't the victims.

#13 Edited by joshmightbe (24692 posts) - - Show Bio

@night_thrasher said:

Pretty much this.

If anything that would put it on equal ground with the crime, not make it worse.

#14 Posted by theTimeStreamer (2841 posts) - - Show Bio

@night_thrasher: so people should get away with their crimes? WTH man?!?! do you agree with this?

#15 Posted by Wolverine08 (38899 posts) - - Show Bio
#16 Posted by Nefarious (18831 posts) - - Show Bio

Because this is a backward society.

#17 Posted by joshmightbe (24692 posts) - - Show Bio

@nefarious: Well this is a society that treats murderers like celebrities so I can't disagree with you.

#18 Posted by Nefarious (18831 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe: Indeed. Example: Casey Anthony. When I see snitching being worst than the crime, it is like snitching is against the law. People fear the worst.

#19 Posted by Night Thrasher (3606 posts) - - Show Bio

@night_thrasher: so people should get away with their crimes? WTH man?!?! do you agree with this?

No it's just the culture. It's akin to the saying "Don't do the crime if you can't do the time." If you and I rob a bank and you get away but I get caught then I should do my time and not implicate anyone else involved. It's the same thing as Goodfellas "Never rat on your friends and always keep your mouth shut." It just looks more devious when it's people of color saying it.

#20 Posted by kcjr (270 posts) - - Show Bio

Snitching is only frowned upon by street trash.