Why is One piece the best selling manga series of all time?

• 85 results
cena98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Just wondering.

Pharoh_Atem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By Pharoh_Atem

Because people like the series; Personally One Piece is meh to me, the art really urks me.

russellmania77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

because its not

Avatar image for rossnrachel4ever
Rossnrachel4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because its great.

BallPointHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's funny. The adventures are fantastic and the battles are great.

PrinceAragorn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By PrinceAragorn1

I think the title belongs to dragon ball. 42 volumes: 350 million+ sold..

one piece: 68 volumes, 270 million+ sold..

And because it's good enough to make people like it despite the devastating art (?) and over the top stupidity..

russellmania77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By russellmania77

@russellmania77 said:

because its not

@princearagorn1 said:

I think the title belongs to dragon ball. 42 volumes: 350 million+ sold..

one piece: 68 volumes, 270 million+ sold...

booyah.

Dragonborn_CT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I have no bloody clue. OP is a series stuffed with fillers, with precisely zero character development or plot evolution that goes nowhere and if you point it out to fans that the series already went past the 500 chapter arc and they haven't found the bloody One Piece yet, you get shredded and insulted.

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By DeathpooltheT1000

Is not, Dragon Ball is the number freacking 2, the number one is one that has being sell since the freacking 70 or 60s.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

User Lists: 6

Because there is no god?

I think your sources are probably incorrect. I hope they are, at any rate.

frogdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By frogdog

@dragonborn_ct said:

I have no bloody clue. OP is a series stuffed with fillers, with precisely zero character development or plot evolution that goes nowhere and if you point it out to fans that the series already went past the 500 chapter arc and they haven't found the bloody One Piece yet, you get shredded and insulted.

I always laugh at most OP haters who miss the point of why they haven't found One Piece.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

User Lists: 6

Wait, that's 2013, you idiot, not all time.

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really? I thought it was Naruto. lol

OmgOmgWtfWtf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, here is the list. If anyone actually wants to look at it. How they came up with these numbers is beyond me. But One Piece is supposedly the best selling manga of all time.

Dragonborn_CT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Dragonborn_CT

@frogdog said:

@dragonborn_ct said:

I always laugh at most OP haters who miss the point of why they haven't found One Piece.

Really? And why is it because the journey that counts in the end?

frogdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dragonborn_ct: The crew isn't strong enough to get to one piece, every arc since water 7, has constantly pointed out, that the straw hats aren't strong enough to reach one piece.

frogdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, here is the list. If anyone actually wants to look at it. How they came up with these numbers is beyond me. But One Piece is supposedly the best selling manga of all time.

It's based on the sales in Japan

OmgOmgWtfWtf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frogdog:

Oh is it? Thanks for that info. I wasn't sure where they got the values from, I just saw it on another site lol.

Avatar image for unbreakable_fs4
unbreakable_fs4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because people like the series; Personally One Piece is meh to me, the art really urks me.

This x1000. The art is a massive deal breaker to me and the characters look so childish. Not trying to offend any OP fans.

Dragonborn_CT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frogdog: Why do I have the feeling that this is just a excuse for Oda to use for filler within his work and turns out that in the end the One Piece will be something so stupidly-worthless that the only one that treasured it was D. Roger himself?

M3th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MetH would also like to know wHy it is so popular. Please OneP fans enligHten MetH.

-m3th.O.D.-

frogdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frogdog: Why do I have the feeling that this is just a excuse for Oda to use for filler within his work and turns out that in the end the One Piece will be something so stupidly-worthless that the only one that treasured it was D. Roger himself?

Considering how much the government within One piece tries to hide every information in regards to the past, I doubt Oda would contradict own themes, just to say "it's only special to D.Roger".

Dragonborn_CT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frogdog said:

@dragonborn_ct said:

Considering how much the government within One piece tries to hide every information in regards to the past, I doubt Oda would contradict own themes, just to say "it's only special to D.Roger".

If that is the case, I hope its something absolutely ridiculous. The most absurd thing Oda can come up with to overcome everything else he did at this point. Because anything less will leave me disappointed.

frogdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By frogdog

@frogdog said:

@dragonborn_ct said:

If that is the case, I hope its something absolutely ridiculous. The most absurd thing Oda can come up with to overcome everything else he did at this point. Because anything less will leave me disappointed.

Since the world has 6 moons, I expect one piece to be ridiculous beyond words.

PrinceAragorn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frogdog said:

@dragonborn_ct said:

@frogdog said:

@dragonborn_ct said:

It's Gol's personal razor! obviously..

Dragonborn_CT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@princearagorn1: Maybe its result from too much GRRM influence. That was exactly I would be expecting -__-

KnightRise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frogdog said:

@dragonborn_ct said:

And why is it because the Really journey that counts in the end?

Actually yes, yes it is. Silvers Rayleigh would know what the One Piece is, plus what happened during the Void Century. Luffy doesn't want to know because that would limit his adventuring.

Dragonborn_CT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Dragonborn_CT

@knightrise said:

@dragonborn_ct said:

@frogdog said:

@dragonborn_ct said:

Actually yes, yes it is. Silvers Rayleigh would know what the One Piece is, plus what happened during the Void Century. Luffy doesn't want to know because that would limit his adventuring.

That is just grand -__- Doesn't matter if the quest was pointless, all it matters you had a hell of a time travelling around the world in search for it.

This makes me want the One Piece to be Roger's razor too. All for the sake to be a joke pulled on everyone.

frogdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frogdog said:

@dragonborn_ct said:

@frogdog said:

@dragonborn_ct said:

It's Gol's personal razor! obviously..

Nah it's Gol's mustache comb

Avatar image for the_legendary_supersaiyan_hulk
The_Legendary_SuperSaiyan_Hulk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Love One Piece.

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because its better than the travesties that are Bleach and Naruto lol

frogdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because its better than the travesties that are Bleach and Naruto lol

Your gonna get tons of angry Naruto and Bleach fans for saying that.

Although I do agree with you

shatiquego582

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought naruto was selling more then one piece or they roughly sold the same amount guess I was wrong but one piece is not selling more then DBZ I know that for a fact

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Because they sell more copies than anyone else.

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Marshall_Long

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well Dragonball still has One Piece by quite large margin in worldwide sales so it's not the best selling Manga of all time, it's the best selling of all time in Japan though.

To be I use to have the same issue with One Piece that most guys are having the art made me not want to watch the series, but I was so curious as to why so many people enjoyed it so I checked it out and art aside it's really great, though the art has been getting better over the years.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#37 the_stegman  Moderator

I personally don't like it, but hey, it's popular among the Japanese...then again, so is eyeball licking

Avatar image for deactivated-627010180bd2d
deactivated-627010180bd2d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I knew it was popular but number one? Really?

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

I don't know about the manga, but I find the anime extremely boring...

KingOfAsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Because they're not cool enough to read Berserk or Akira

trebean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By trebean

@dragonborn_ct said:

@knightrise said:

@dragonborn_ct said:

@frogdog said:

@dragonborn_ct said:

That is just grand -__- Doesn't matter if the quest was pointless, all it matters you had a hell of a time travelling around the world in search for it.

This makes me want the One Piece to be Roger's razor too. All for the sake to be a joke pulled on everyone.

So......... you must be the kind of guy who wonders why Goku and his friends didn't just wish any threats away with the Dragonballs?

EDIT:

Also, Luffy's Main Goal is to be Pirate King, which requires the finding of One Piece and being the strongest pirate of all (With a strongest crew to boot), and he's not even probably the strongest yet. (His crewmates also have personal goals of their own)

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#42 the_stegman  Moderator

Really? I thought it was Naruto. lol

One Piece VASTLY outsells Naruto, which may be more popular in America. I think it sells something like 5 times as many copies as Naruto, though I prefer Naruto by a lot.

Dragonborn_CT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@trebean said:

@dragonborn_ct said:

@knightrise said:

@dragonborn_ct said:

@frogdog said:

@dragonborn_ct said:

So......... you must be the kind of guy who wonders why Goku and his friends didn't just wish any threats away with the Dragonballs?

EDIT:

Also, Luffy's Main Goal is to be Pirate King, which requires the finding of One Piece and being the strongest pirate of all (With a strongest crew to boot), and he's not even probably the strongest yet. (His crewmates also have personal goals of their own)

Wrong... Too much exposure to George R. R. Martin recently made me a very bitter and sour man, expecting at every turn the author pull a cruel joke on the audience. I wonder if Luffy's dream will cost more than its worth like the lives of his companions and his loved ones, by the time he becomes Pirate King, and even then he will remain happy with a big grin on that face.

frogdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dragonborn_ct: Think of this way, every person with D in the middle of their name all died with a smile on their face, regardless if they had any regrets.

Also I need to find a website that streams game of thrones episodes with Decent quality, after I'm done finishing off the Wire.

Dragonborn_CT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frogdog said:

@dragonborn_ct: Think of this way, every person with D in the middle of their name all died with a smile on their face, regardless if they had any regrets.

Also I need to find a website that streams game of thrones episodes with Decent quality, after I'm done finishing off the Wire.

I already knew that... It would have been hilarious if someone with the will of D died so suddenly they couldn't form a grin in time of their deaths.

Word of advice: Don't get attached.

frogdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By frogdog

@dragonborn_ct: Blackbeard would be close, considering that he shat himself in fear when Whitebeard nearly killed him.

The Wire told me that lesson as well, D'Angelo Barksdale

trebean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@trebean said:

@dragonborn_ct said:

@knightrise said:

@dragonborn_ct said:

@frogdog said:

@dragonborn_ct said:

EDIT:

Wrong... Too much exposure to George R. R. Martin recently made me a very bitter and sour man, expecting at every turn the author pull a cruel joke on the audience. I wonder if Luffy's dream will cost more than its worth like the lives of his companions and his loved ones, by the time he becomes Pirate King, and even then he will remain happy with a big grin on that face.

Oda seems to be the opposite of that, he already has an ending planned (It will be the most spectacular ending to a manga ever made... well, according to him), and he never FORGETS (NEVER FORGETS. PERIOD, also spoilers)

See that guy in the first few chapters in Roger's crew? He'll come back..... in a few hundred chapters later......

That Ryuuma guy in his oneshot manga? He's that undead samurai that'll appear a few hundred chapters later.

Dragonborn_CT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@trebean: I think GRRM already has a planned ending in mind (he already told the producers of the TV series what would have been in the possible case of his death), and he never forgets to go back to previous hanging plots from older books. I do believe that Oda is the opposite in regards that he doesn't make the heroes his personal punching bags...

BMuddy120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@buffalo: One Piece is the best selling manga of all time with 345 million copies sold, honestly you wouldn't be asking such a question if you watched the series, its like asking why is dragonball so hyped without watching it, Dragonball is number 2 with about 260 million copies sold, OP got into the NY times recently as well and had a huge celebration in Japan, i think ur question is why is it not popular in America like the big hit in Japan, because we had a stupid 4kids edit but now its healing thanks to Funimation and it airing on Toonami, anyways its the best selling manga and it deserves it anyone who hasn't seen the series is missing out, it starts off slow but becomes this amazing show with each episode, anyways its got 10 more years of air time so its not going anywhere, its gonna be Harry potters 450 million copies in the next decade or so

pyreworks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By pyreworks

@TS because it's a well crafted, multilayered plot that nobody and nobody can seem to figure out better than Oda. The mysteries of One Piece, Raftel and Will of the D have never been resolved since day 1 and YET Oda keeps reminding us at every turn that it's what OP is all about. I have a very healthy respect for a great storyteller who never loses sight of his main plot AND STILL churns out an awesome to goodness side story encapsulated in adventure WITH proper character development for all that we meet. He doesnt hesitate to slow down the pace to let the readers know what he is talking about and yet you dont mind since you are so INTRIGUED as well. I HAVE HATED ONE PIECE FOR YEARS because of the OUTRAGEOUS art that does not follow PROPORTIONS so well. No bishounen to sate my appetite. Ugly characters esp Usopp who was fhe character I first saw in 2008. Believe me I have hated it for years. I prioritized Bleach and Fairy Tail but they disappointed me. I swallowed my Naruto hate and watched it but Naruto killed me after 100 episodes so I shelved it. HunterXHunter was my salvation but stupid togashi doesnt seem to have the motivation to continue it so I winged it and tried One Piece. 30 episodes in and I am fully hooked and I have watched the anime twice and read the manga once in 2 months and the story is still in my freakin head. Oda is not a manga artist with a story. HE IS A STORYTELLER who has chosen pencil/paper-manga as His medium. I have regretted my decade of prejudice for this masterpiece. Give this a chance. Watch the anime and skip the fillers but please watch it until Marineford (400+) and you will NOT REGRET. Oda is taking all OP fans for a fantastic ride and seriously, you wouldnt want to miss the boat.

P.S. You'll need a healthy dose of "suspension of disbelief" but it'll be fun.