Why is Marvel such a failure at animation and video games?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for genmacommander89
Genmacommander89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Genmacommander89

I mean both Marvel and DC have their ups and downs when it comes to comic books. Marvel clearly owns live film

But why does Marvel fail so epically when it comes to animation and video games? I mean DC has Arkham City [which was the highest rated game of 2011] and soon Injustice. Marvel has Spiderman Edge of Time and Xmen Destiny both which were epic failures.

And why does Marvel's animation suck so badly? When it comes to animated films, the worst DC film is better than the best Marvel one.

And when it comes to animated series, Batman TAS was rated the second best animated show of all time. When you takethe Xmen cartoons like the 90's Xmen, Wolverine and the Xmen and Xmen Evolution, they look like complete crap next to Justice League Unlimited. Even now Young Justice has won Emmy awards where EMH has won...nothing...because even though it's good compared to what Marvel has put out in the past..it's mediocre in comparison to DC's works

Marvel has a rich universe, why can't they get their shit together and deliver on these 2 forms of entertainment like DC does? Come on Marvel, step up your game.

Xanni15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Xanni15

Marvel is a failure and DC rules because of Batman and a soon to be game which hasn't come out yet? That seems like you're fairly judging.

Marvel has plenty of good games, as does DC. Injustice may the next great one but we can't just assume it will be or won't be.

spectre108

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By spectre108

I think you're focusing on the bad things too much.

coolguyr99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By coolguyr99

Marvel have had some of the best animated superhero shows.

HBKTimHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By HBKTimHBK

You assume Injustice will be good, and I loved X-Men Evolution.

And I'll say it: Marvel Ultimate Alliance

Avatar image for genmacommander89
Genmacommander89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Genmacommander89

@coolguyr99 said:

Marvel have had some of the best animated superhero shows.

@HBKTimHBK said:

You assume Injustice will be good, and I loved X-Men Evolution.

And I'll say it: Marvel Ultimate Alliance

A mediocre game. Xmen Legends was much better

Xmen Evolution was a mediocre show. If you like it that's an opinion, but that just tells me that you like mediocre products

@Xanni15 said:

Marvel is a failure and DC rules because of Batman and a soon to be game which hasn't come out yet? That seems like you're fairly judging.

Marvel has plenty of good games, as does DC. Injustice may the next great one but we can't just assume it will be or won't be.

Marvel has plenty of mediocre games. When they have something as 1/4 as good as the Arkham titles then they may not be such a laughing stock

Batman only makes up a portion of the animation part also. Yes he's arguably the biggest factor for DC's success but even the Superman Animated series is better than any animation Marvel has to offer.

On top of that they tried to blatantly rip off the Arkham Games with Amazing Spiderman

Xanni15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Xanni15

@Genmacommander89 said:

@Xanni15 said:

Marvel has plenty of mediocre games. When they have something as 1/4 as good as the Arkham titles then they may not be such a laughing stock

Batman only makes up a portion of the animation part also. Yes he's arguably the biggest factor for DC's success but even the Superman Animated series is better than any animation Marvel has to offer.

On top of that they tried to blatantly rip off the Arkham Games with Amazing Spiderman

We have different opinions. You're using what two games as the reason why DC is better? Oh, and one that isn't even out yet?

I wasn't even mentioning animated series, but X-Men has had quite a few great series' over the years.

Yeah, Arkham is totally an original idea...

Just seems like you're trolling Marvel fans.

Avatar image for yoda_am_i_goddamed_the
Yoda_am_I_goddamed_the

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Marvel had the best show ever,Avengers EMH,DC's best show,Young Justice is not even close to being as good as it.

Now say to me,which DC game is good,only Batman:Arkham City?I assume you've never played Ultimate Alliance or Amazing Spider-Man,DC always fails in those both aspects,you're really wrong.

Avatar image for stylinandprofyling
Stylinandprofyling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Xanni15 said:

@Genmacommander89 said:

@Xanni15 said:

We have different opinions. You're using what two games as the reason why DC is better? Oh, and one that isn't even out yet?

I wasn't even mentioning animated series, but X-Men has had quite a few great series' over the years.

Yeah, Arkham is totally an original idea...

Just seems like you're trolling Marvel fans.

We have different opinions. I like quality products, you like crap products.

We already know that Injustice is going to be amazing because

-It's made by the same guys who made 2011 Mortal Kombat

- It was shown at PAX and EVO [Largest fighting game tournament on the planet] and was critically acclaimed.

I'm talking about both, Batman TAS was released in 1992 and still looked better than 2003 Xmen Evolution and even Wolverine and the Xmen. It also won 4 Emmys which is more than every Marvel animated show has won combined.

Yeah Arkham is totally unoriginal, must explain why it was the highest rated game of 2011

Come back when you have facts kid, Statistics are on my side, you have nothing.

@Yoda_am_I_goddamed_the said:

Marvel had the best show ever,Avengers EMH,DC's best show,Young Justice is not even close to being as good as it.

Now say to me,which DC game is good,only Batman:Arkham City?I assume you've never played Ultimate Alliance or Amazing Spider-Man,DC always fails in those both aspects,you're really wrong.

Yeah lets see. Young Justice = Won an emmy award...EMH...Won nothing..because it's mediocre

On top of that, Young Justice and Young Justice Revelations outscored Earths Mightest Heroes on IMDB

Amazing Spiderman? That game that blatantly tried to rip off Arkham City and failed? That one right?

Ultimate Alliance? Another mediocre game

Yup totally compares to Arkham Asylum and City

Try harder kid

coolguyr99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By coolguyr99

@Genmacommander89: What is so funny about that?

Xanni15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Xanni15

@Stylinandprofyling:

Alternate account?

Stylinandprofyling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@coolguyr99 said:

@Genmacommander89: What is so funny about that?

Marvel's animation is terrible. Batman TAS won 4 Emmy awards. Superman TAS won 4 Daytime Emmys and an Annie Award. Young Justice won an Emmy award in its first episode

None of Marvels animated shows have ever won an Emmy award because they're mediocre crap/.

coolguyr99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By coolguyr99

@Stylinandprofyling: X-Men, Spider-Man, X-Men Evolution and Avengers: EMH were all great.

Stylinandprofyling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Xanni15 said:

@Stylinandprofyling:

Alternate account?

Does it matter? Facts are facts

@coolguyr99 said:

@Stylinandprofyling: X-Men, Spider-Man, X-Men Evolution and Avengers: EMH were all great.

So great that all of them combined won 0 awards

coolguyr99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By coolguyr99

Spider-Man won an Annie and X-Men Evolution won 2 Emmys and awards aren't everything.

And Superman TAS never won any awards, it just got nominated.

Stylinandprofyling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@coolguyr99 said:

Spider-Man won an Annie and X-Men Evolution won 2 Emmys and awards aren't everything.

For sound editing and sound mixing. Whoopdie freaking do, that's the highlight of Marvels entire animation catalog.

That's freaking sad

coolguyr99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By coolguyr99

As I said awards aren't everything.

Stylinandprofyling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@coolguyr99 said:

As I said awards aren't everything.

Only because Marvel's animation fail to win any. Awards aren't everything but they pretty much show that Marvel's animation is mediocre in comparison to DC's

coolguyr99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By coolguyr99

Spider-Man won an Annie. Batman TAS is the only one to have won awards like Best animated show, most of the nominations and awards for other Marvel and DC show are things like sound editing, music direction etc.

renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By renamed040924

@Genmacommander89 said:

I mean both Marvel and DC have their ups and downs when it comes to comic books. Marvel clearly owns live film

But why does Marvel fail so epically when it comes to animation and video games? I mean DC has Arkham City [which was the highest rated game of 2011] and soon Injustice. Marvel has Spiderman Edge of Time and Xmen Destiny both which were epic failures.

And why does Marvel's animation suck so badly? When it comes to animated films, the worst DC film is better than the best Marvel one.

And when it comes to animated series, Batman TAS was rated the second best animated show of all time. When you takethe Xmen cartoons like the 90's Xmen, Wolverine and the Xmen and Xmen Evolution, they look like complete crap next to Justice League Unlimited. Even now Young Justice has won Emmy awards where EMH has won...nothing...because even though it's good compared to what Marvel has put out in the past..it's mediocre in comparison to DC's works

Marvel has a rich universe, why can't they get their shit together and deliver on these 2 forms of entertainment like DC does? Come on Marvel, step up your game.

Take Batman out of the picture and they become pretty even.

Stylinandprofyling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@coolguyr99 said:

Spider-Man won an Annie. Batman TAS is the only one to have won awards like Best animated show, most of the nominations and awards for other Marvel and DC show are things like sound editing, music direction etc.

Spiderman won an Annie award for the writing in one episode, Day of the Chameleon.

Young Justice won an Emmy for it's first episode for outstanding achievement in animation.

The Batman on Annies for best animated production in 2005 and 2006

Batman Beyond won an Emmy for best special class animation

Even Static Shock won one for Music composition

On top of all the nominations, nearly all of DC's animated shows have been nominated for several awards where almost none of Marvel's have been

again, Marvel is no where near DC's league when it comes to animation. Period

@nickzambuto said:

Take Batman out of the picture and they become pretty even.

I know right? Between nearly every animated DC showing winning and get nominated for Emmies vs Marvel's animated shows not getting awards and not getting nomiated

Totally even /rolls eyes

coolguyr99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By coolguyr99

@Stylinandprofyling: X-Men Evolution also won 2 Emmy's.

YoungJustice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#23  Edited By YoungJustice

Zettysverg9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Zettysverg9

@coolguyr99 said:

@Stylinandprofyling: X-Men Evolution also won 2 Emmy's.

So you're just going to repeat yourself now. Xmen Evo won 2 awards for sound editing. The Batman won an Emmy for Live action and animation, Young Justice won an Emmy on it's first episode for outstanding achievement in animation. Batman beyond won an emmy for best special class animation.

So in the entire history of Marvels animation they won 2 meaningless Emmies and an Annie. That just proves yet again that they aren't on the same planet of quality when it comes to animation as DC is

coolguyr99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By coolguyr99

@Zettysverg9: Winning more awards doesn't make something better.

jobiwankenobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By jobiwankenobi

Spectacular Spider-Man and Spider-Man TAS were both amazing.

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By King_Saturn
X-Men : The Arcade Game from the early 1990's was an Epic Video Game IMO.
Zettysverg9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Zettysverg9

@coolguyr99 said:

@Zettysverg9: Winning more awards doesn't make something better.

Winning awards for relative categories DOES make something better. DC's animation wins and gets nominated for awards because everything about them, the writing, the stories, the music, the characters and the animation are top notch. Marvel's animation doesn't win or get nominated because the stories, writing, characters, music and animation is all mediocre.

If you like the Marvel animation better, that's fine. But that just means you prefer inferior quality products over higher quality ones

Which ones you like better is an opinion

Which ones are better is an actual fact

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By SmashBrawler

Dude.

You're making me ashamed of being a DC fan.

Seriously.

coolguyr99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By coolguyr99

@Zettysverg9: Spectacular Spider-Man got nominated for best character design and storyboarding.

X-Men Evolution got nominated for best production design and storyboarding for an episode.

Spider-Man was nominated for outstanding performer twice.

And I don't consider sound editing or Individual Achievement for writing meaningless.

Zettysverg9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Zettysverg9

@coolguyr99 said:

@Zettysverg9: Spectacular Spider-Man got nominated for best character design and storyboarding.

X-Men Evolution got nominated for best production design and storyboarding for an episode.

Spider-Man was nominated for outstanding performer twice.

And I don't consider sound editing or Individual Achievement for writing meaningless.

No, but the sound editing one's for Xmen evolution are meaningless. The Batman won it too hence why I didn't mention it/

Awesome, Marvel has gotten 3 nominations compared to what? 30 that DC has gotten? Teen Titans alone won more nominations than all of Marvel animation combined

Try again. There isn't anyway from a statistical standpoint that you can compare Marvel's mediocre animation to DC's quality. You have an opinion, I have facts

coolguyr99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By coolguyr99

@Zettysverg9: I was just mentioning that Marvel do get nominated.

Mycroftian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Mycroftian

I just awarded Spectacular Spider-Man twenty-nine Golden Mycrofts, and bestowed upon it the coveted rank of fifteen out of sixteen Dumbledores.

No Caption Provided

Big-name awards aren't quite that arbitrary maybe, but don't take them too seriously. Not really sure what the purpose of this thread is other than trolling, but on the off-chance that you're actually trying to prove some kind of point. . . yes, DC has historically had several really good shows and Marvel has only had a couple (Spectacular Spider-Man and Earth's Mightiest Heroes are great; quite a few people like them and dismissing them out of hand just makes you come across as incredibly biased) . But in terms of games? Neither has a great library, really. As far as good games go, there's MvC and the X-Men Legends/MUA series on the Marvel side, and the Arkham games and MKvDC/possibly Injustice on the DC side. Neither company has too much to boast about.

venomyak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By venomyak

This guys a rude little bugger is he not?

Zettysverg9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Zettysverg9

@Mycroftian: Glad you agree that Marvel's animation is mediocre

When you actually look at producers like Bruce Timm, and voice actors like Tim Daily, Kevin Conroy, Mark Hammil and Michael Ironside, then compare them to the Marvel producers and voice actors, it's really a no brainer.

If Marvel only has MvC, Legends and UA, and DC only has Arkham Asylum, Arkham City and Injustice, then DC is the clear winner because their three games blow Marvels three games out of the water.

You're right, DC has nothing to boast about. Arkham City was the highest rated game of 2011, even beating Skyrim. But yeah...nothing to boast about.

Mycroftian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Mycroftian

Ah well, this is what I get for replying to this sort of thing. But because I have poor self-control, I would like to point out before leaving this thread that

a)I referred to MvC as a series because it is in fact more than one game. CotA, MSH, XvSF, MSHvSF, MvC, MvC2, and (U)MvC3 are all separate games. Similarly, Legends and MUA both have sequels. Every game I mentioned (bar maybe MUA2 and Injustice, since it hasn't been released yet) was critically well-received. MvC is a series that has withstood the test of time, which many would argue trumps just one well-received game. Maybe you feel differently. That's great. What you are experiencing is called an opinion. It differs from a fact in several key ways you already know about but ignore for your personal amusement.

b)I never agreed that Marvel's animation is mediocre. For my money, I'd rather watch Spectacular Spider-Man or Earth's Mightiest Heroes than Young Justice or Batman: TAS. And yet, amazingly, I do not expect other people to conform to this opinion, nor do I antagonize people who disagree with me. I do not get off on other people replying to rudely phrased opinions. I highly recommend this course of action; it's your first step on the path to a mentally healthy you.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d945143d79a
deactivated-59d945143d79a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Superman 64 and that one Aquaman game.........

Zettysverg9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Zettysverg9

@Mycroftian:

a)I referred to MvC as a series because it is in fact more than one game. CotA, MSH, XvSF, MSHvSF, MvC, MvC2, and (U)MvC3 are all separate games. Similarly, Legends and MUA both have sequels. Every game I mentioned (bar maybe MUA2 and Injustice, since it hasn't been released yet) was critically well-received. MvC is a series that has withstood the test of time, which many would argue trumps just one well-received game. Maybe you feel differently. That's great. What you are experiencing is called an opinion. It differs from a fact in several key ways you already know about but ignore for your personal amusement.

The MvC titles were good [except for Marvel vs Capcom 3 which was a disaster] but naming games that came out 10-15 years ago just proves my point. Marvel in the past 10 years hasn't put out any decent games except Xmen Legends and the last one came out 7 yearsr ago. The Ultimate Alliance titles were mediocre and MUA 2 was flat out bad.

Being critically well received and being universally acclaimed are 2 very different things. Ultimate Alliance on the PS3 averaged a 78 where Arkham City on the PS3 has a 96. These games are worlds apart and any comparison should be a crime.

2 universally acclaimed games. Asylum has a 91 and City has a 96. I like how you mention the Capcom fighting series has more than one game yet claim that Arkham is just one game.

I feel differently because I'm speaking facts. You stated earlier that neither company has nothing to boast about even though Arkham City was the highest rated game of 2011. The only thing you had to counter act it where 3 series, one has been past it's prime for over a decade, one was decent and one was mediocre, and tried to compare them to 2 universally acclaimed games. That is where your argument falls apart like a tower of jenga. Dc and Marvel are not equals or similar in this regard, or anywhere close

b)I never agreed that Marvel's animation is mediocre. For my money, I'd rather watch Spectacular Spider-Man or Earth's Mightiest Heroes than Young Justice or Batman: TAS. And yet, amazingly, I do not expect other people to conform to this opinion, nor do I antagonize people who disagree with me. I do not get off on other people replying to rudely phrased opinions. I highly recommend this course of action; it's your first step on the path to a mentally healthy you.

If you would rather watch Spectacular Spiderman or EMH, It just means you prefer inferior quality. Really that simple. What you like better is an opinion, what is better is an actual fact

Avatar image for dark_vengeance_
Dark_Vengeance_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Dark_Vengeance_

Oh god another fanboy that does not know how to judge things. okay here is how you determine how a company is better than the other. you make 2 sections. one for dc and one for marvel and you put both pros and cons so you do not sound biased, it is that simple people. that is how you can be right and not sound completly stupid.

Trolls you have eaten well, you have eaten comicvine's credibility, it's spirit. From this moment on--None of you are safe

Zettysverg9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Zettysverg9

@DarkKnightDetective said:

Oh god another fanboy that does not know how to judge things. okay here is how you determine how a company is better than the other. you make 2 sections. one for dc and one for marvel and you put both pros and cons so you do not sound biased, it is that simple people. that is how you can be right and not sound completly stupid.

Trolls you have eaten well, you have eaten comicvine's credibility, it's spirit. From this moment on--None of you are safe

I agree, these Marvel trolls are ridiculous. Hopefully the mods will ban them soon

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#41  Edited By The_Ghostshell

I'm not banning anybody. But I will lock this to keep it from getting anymore ridiculous.