#1 Posted by joshmightbe (24876 posts) - - Show Bio

Lethal injection and electrocution are pretty much the only methods of execution allowed in this country because most of the other methods are considered cruel and unusual but I ask why is instant decapitation considered less humane than the two methods currently employed?

Its pretty much an instant and nearly painless death where as both lethal injection and electrocution are said to come with great pain. Isn't a less painful method less cruel?

#2 Edited by HBKTimHBK (5242 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe: Electrocution has been a secondary method of execution for over 10 years, and that's only in a few states. Most states now don't use electrocution at all. Basically electrocution has been on the decline for a while because it's a pretty..I don't know how to phrase this eloquently but..bad way to die.

#3 Posted by Emequious_Swerve (1268 posts) - - Show Bio

It's pretty messy.

#4 Posted by joshmightbe (24876 posts) - - Show Bio

@hbktimhbk: This was intended to cover lethal injection as well but the title was too long.

#5 Edited by Dr_Harlequin (483 posts) - - Show Bio

The guillotine was used against anyone who opposed the revolution of France...It was used for mass executions and anyone, no matter if they were innocent or not, were given the treatment of the guillotine. So the guillotine was a way of instilling fear in people...that's not really humane. The era of this device was even called "the reign of terror." I can see why we wouldn't want to recall that time in human history.

And I mean, I don't think anyone would want to have others be decapitated, either...

#6 Posted by joshmightbe (24876 posts) - - Show Bio

@dr_harlequin: Not asking about how it was used, just saying the device itself is more humane because it offers a virtually painless death.

#7 Posted by The Stegman (23942 posts) - - Show Bio

All executions are inhumane.

#8 Edited by Yokergeist (12355 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe:

Is that the one where you put your head in the hole and the blade comes down?

#9 Posted by judasnixon (6491 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe: Because it F-ing cuts peoples heads off...... Lets say you had to put your dog down, and the vet walks up and says "Sorry kid-o we have to cut Fluffy's head off. It's the humane thing to do." I wouldn't think you would say "Oh golly doctor vet guy thank you for cutting my dog's head off to save him through all the pain"........

#10 Posted by joshmightbe (24876 posts) - - Show Bio

@supernategames: Yea but its like a split second and you wouldn't have enough time to feel it.

#11 Posted by Dr_Harlequin (483 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe: I'm just saying that it may not be used today because of it's inhumane history.

#12 Posted by joshmightbe (24876 posts) - - Show Bio

@judasnixon: If it was quicker and less painful than what they use to euthanize them currently then it would technically be better.

#13 Posted by joshmightbe (24876 posts) - - Show Bio

@dr_harlequin: So they're actually being less humane because it looks more humane? Well actually that makes sense considering what we know of American politics.

#14 Posted by Dr_Harlequin (483 posts) - - Show Bio

It's also probably also a cultural thing too, I mean we eat foods in our culture that shouldn't even be considered foods...like the ones that cause problems to our bodies. I'm sure there are other cultures that have different methods of execution, we don't use some because of our own cultural restrictions.

#15 Edited by Dr_Harlequin (483 posts) - - Show Bio

Also, are we talking about sentenced executions and euthanasia?

In that case, I don't want my relatives to be headless before we close the casket. The head is known to give one a self of identity, at least in some cultures. If that's gone, then you can really say that you've cut off their humanity.

#16 Edited by joshmightbe (24876 posts) - - Show Bio
#17 Posted by Xwraith (17300 posts) - - Show Bio
#18 Edited by Khan_Noonien_Singh (514 posts) - - Show Bio

I still think we should make Escape from New York a thing. Worked for the Brits way back when.

#19 Posted by kyrees (4906 posts) - - Show Bio

it's a lot messier because of all the blood coming out of the stump.

#20 Posted by Yokergeist (12355 posts) - - Show Bio

Probably because it doesn't look humane or professional. A needle or a chair seem much more humane than a guillotine, even if it is more painful.

-$NG

#21 Posted by Dr_Harlequin (483 posts) - - Show Bio

@kyrees said:

it's a lot messier because of all the blood coming out of the stump.

Ew, what would they do with the heads?

#22 Posted by kyrees (4906 posts) - - Show Bio
#23 Edited by Dr_Harlequin (483 posts) - - Show Bio

@kyrees: Then what would they do with it afterwards?

#24 Edited by kyrees (4906 posts) - - Show Bio
#25 Posted by mrdecepticonleader (17872 posts) - - Show Bio
#26 Posted by Wolverine08 (41107 posts) - - Show Bio
#27 Posted by jloneblackheart (5507 posts) - - Show Bio

Because just like an ax, it doesnt always cut through in one chop.

#28 Posted by joshmightbe (24876 posts) - - Show Bio

@jloneblackheart: Actually with the guillotine's design, so long as it's well maintained it pretty much always goes through in one shot. Its probably the most efficient methods humans have invented for removing a head and we as a species have invented a truly disturbing amount of methods to remove a head.

#29 Posted by Dr_Harlequin (483 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe: Yup, that's why the blade is diagonal, right?

#30 Posted by russellmania77 (15019 posts) - - Show Bio

Nobody ever said killing a person would be easy... well a few people have to they were mostly cerial killers

#31 Posted by Saint_Wildcard (10155 posts) - - Show Bio

All executions are inhumane.

What about death by snu snu?

#32 Posted by Dr_Harlequin (483 posts) - - Show Bio
#33 Posted by Saint_Wildcard (10155 posts) - - Show Bio
#34 Posted by The Stegman (23942 posts) - - Show Bio

@saint_rog_el: that's not an execution, that's a happy ending. ;)

#35 Posted by JeanRalphio (1842 posts) - - Show Bio

Dude this is grim.

#36 Posted by Khan_Noonien_Singh (514 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe: Lethal injection doesn't come with pain. You don't feel anything. You are put to sleep, then inject you with a paralytic to stop your breathing, then you are injected with something to stop your heart. You die without ever knowing it happened... aside from the knowledge that comes from laying on the table.

#37 Posted by JediXMan (30321 posts) - - Show Bio
#38 Edited by jloneblackheart (5507 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe: I guess key phrases are "well maintained" and "pretty much always." Any way, I always found hanging to be equally as effective as decapitation when done correctly.

#39 Edited by Thitiki (3508 posts) - - Show Bio
#40 Posted by MatteoPG (1927 posts) - - Show Bio

Nobody ever said killing a person would be easy... well a few people have to they were mostly cerial killers

I think you meant "cereal" killers.

#41 Posted by ShootingNova (16267 posts) - - Show Bio

That's interesting. Kind of what I suspected but it seemed a little silly. That would probably hurt more than the electric chair, which shuts down your brain in the very first shock (although the shock itself might hurt for a brief moment). Sometimes injection can sort of kill instantly so there isn't always a great deal of pain. I suppose the guillotine might hurt a bit after all. I don't want to imagine a failed guillotine, though. LOL. Sounds a bit too gruesome.

Frankly though, the concept of public execution is inhumane in itself, as some people have said in this thread.

#42 Posted by JediXMan (30321 posts) - - Show Bio

That's interesting. Kind of what I suspected but it seemed a little silly. That would probably hurt more than the electric chair, which shuts down your brain in the very first shock (although the shock itself might hurt for a brief moment). Sometimes injection can sort of kill instantly so there isn't always a great deal of pain. I suppose the guillotine might hurt a bit after all. I don't want to imagine a failed guillotine, though. LOL. Sounds a bit too gruesome.

Frankly though, the concept of public execution is inhumane in itself, as some people have said in this thread.

There's also rumors of people being conscious after decapitation, because of the blood and oxygen that still remain in the head. Those circumstances are debatable, though. However, the scenarios are rather creepy: in one, somebody picked up the head and it opened its eyes, stared at the guy, and then slowly closed its eyes when it died.

#43 Posted by Khan_Noonien_Singh (514 posts) - - Show Bio

@jedixman: It is theoretically possible and considering how many people were put to death by guillotine, I am sure there were more than a few that lasted up to 10 seconds before dying.

#44 Edited by ShootingNova (16267 posts) - - Show Bio

@jedixman: That's pretty much what that link said. I've never seen one of those things and I don't plan to. LOL.

#45 Posted by kuonphobos (4898 posts) - - Show Bio

@matteopg said:

@russellmania77 said:

Seriously?

#46 Posted by Wolfrazer (6480 posts) - - Show Bio

@matteopg said:

@russellmania77 said:

Seriously?

It's a real thing! People are out to get the cereals! Killing cereal is wrong!

#47 Posted by MatteoPG (1927 posts) - - Show Bio

@matteopg said:

@russellmania77 said:

Seriously?

... no, come on, it was obviously a dumb joke ;)