Why is cop hating seen as being normal?

Avatar image for petey_is_spidey
Petey_is_Spidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

It's amazing how so many people literally "hate the cops", yet they're the first people they call when they're in trouble.

Not only that, but it's sending a wrong message to the next generation, that cops aren't here to help but instead here to hurt.

They put their lives on the line everyday for us and this is how we repay them.

magnablue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Because people focus on the 3%

Avatar image for deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74
deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Blame the media.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Not only that, but it's sending a wrong message to the next generation, that cops aren't here to help but instead here to hurt.

Some are only here to hurt.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#5 frozen  Moderator

@petey_is_spidey: It's mostly from the youth. We now have a generation of wannabe Marxists who believe that authority is oppressive. Most of these kids are confused in their thought, don't be surprised if they're radical Lefties. Eventually they grow out of it, but the media reinforces this behavior by crafting the narrative.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Depends on whose perspective you're looking at it from. African and Latin Americans look at cops differently than others. Believe it or not, it wasnt that long ago that cops were used to enforce Jim Crow laws.

Even now, cops target African Americans and Latin Americans at an outrageous number.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen: I wouldn't say I'm a radical leftist, but I am staunchly Left wing.

I mean, I don't agree with Lenin or Mao, but Bernie Sanders is my guy.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Questioning the methods of police and authority in general when people feel like they can do better isn't hating them.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Superguy1591

@wolverine08: You can't fault them: most people can only see things through their own perspective. Most people are unwilling to empathize with others.

80% of the people stop and frisk in NYC are minorities, even though they only make up 40% of the City, but some people can't see an Injustice there.

Cream_God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By Cream_God

I did a poll a while back, and most people believe theres bigotry towards them. In my experience the people who hate cops are either people with criminal records, told to hate cops by siblings with criminal records or the media, or are poor and desperate for help.

Dragonborn_CT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

kfhrfdu_89_76k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Because Status quo.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cgoodness: disregard anyone who disagrees with you as a criminal or an associate of a criminal...nice.

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think people who live in small towns/suburbs really hate the police at all. I think its more a thing you see in larger cities where the police there have some sort of history of abusing power or have developed an us vs them sort of mentality that causes people to have an 'enough is enough' kind of attitude that makes them distrust all the police in their city. I have seen this firsthand where I am. The Feds had to come in and investigate the PD here because of how many shootings there's been and there's been protests and all sorts of other stuff regarding how our police are trained and use lethal force.

Cream_God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superguy1591: I didn't say that, I said that the people who hate cops and I've met are like that, that doesn't mean everyone who hates cops is like that, I haven't met a person who was abused by cops for no reason but that doesn't mean there isn't people out their getting beat up by cops for no reason. And I have yet to meet a cop who acts like what the media or the anti cop group portrays, doesn't mean there isn't abusive cops out there.

Avatar image for petey_is_spidey
Petey_is_Spidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@spambot said:

I don't think people who live in small towns/suburbs really hate the police at all. I think its more a thing you see in larger cities where the police there have some sort of history of abusing power or have developed an us vs them sort of mentality that causes people to have an 'enough is enough' kind of attitude that makes them distrust all the police in their city. I have seen this firsthand where I am. The Feds had to come in and investigate the PD here because of how many shootings there's been and there's been protests and all sorts of other stuff regarding how our police are trained and use lethal force.

I would have to agree with that.

ariesxmasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why is cop pig hating seen as being normal?

No Caption Provided

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cgoodness:

Answers these questions:

1.) Where do you live?

2.) What is your economic standings?

3.) What race are you?

If you're middle class, white and live in the suburbs, of course the only people you see with a problem with cops are criminals. I told you that NYC has 45% Caucasians, but Caucasians only make up 10% of the people stopped and frisked. Blacks and Latin Americans make up 85% of the people stopped, but only make up 50% of the population as a whole (African Americans at 50% and Latin Americans at 35%).

Even though the vast majority of S&F arrests only lead to drug arrests and all groups use drug at the same rate per population. Even though Caucasians are more likely to be found with illegal contrabands, so it's not like it's just that minorities commit crime more.

You have to look outside your bubble once in a while. Some people don't get fair treatment by the cops, even the FBI director admits it

nefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By nefarious

There are too many reasons.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

Because "ol' Johnny Law" is an a-hole

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

It's normal to dislike people in positions of authority.

Avatar image for deactivated-5da1bf32237f0
deactivated-5da1bf32237f0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Because no one likes getting parking and speeding tickets.

Cream_God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cgoodness:

Answers these questions:

1.) Where do you live?

2.) What is your economic standings?

3.) What race are you?

If you're middle class, white and live in the suburbs, of course the only people you see with a problem with cops are criminals. I told you that NYC has 45% Caucasians, but Caucasians only make up 10% of the people stopped and frisked. Blacks and Latin Americans make up 85% of the people stopped, but only make up 50% of the population as a whole (African Americans at 50% and Latin Americans at 35%).

Even though the vast majority of S&F arrests only lead to drug arrests and all groups use drug at the same rate per population. Even though Caucasians are more likely to be found with illegal contrabands, so it's not like it's just that minorities commit crime more.

You have to look outside your bubble once in a while. Some people don't get fair treatment by the cops, even the FBI director admits it

1. Sacramento
  2. Jobless
  3. Mexican

And those numbers have more to do with the war on drugs

I do, and when I see people protesting over things like Michael Brown without evidence i dont take it seriously (Garner case is a different story though), and i already said cops do abuse people, i think you just want to talk about your beliefs to someone which im not that person to care.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's getting out of hand. I was on the bus the other day, this cop pulled someone over for speeding. seems fair. These two guys started yelling at the cop to do something with his life, and how he is useless...as the guy was peeling and throwing his fruit on the bus ground. Most of the people i witness hating on cops are people who have no respect for anything, and probably get in trouble alot.

Pharoh_Atem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#27  Edited By Pharoh_Atem

@wolverine08 said:

Questioning the methods of police and authority in general when people feel like they can do better isn't hating them.

There is a difference between criticizing and hating. What the OP is talking about is cop hating or the people who shout f*ck the police as if it's a cool thing to do. Lumping all cops up together is no better than what the people are hating the police for from the start.

Needless to say, these niggas are the first ones to call the cops if sh!t go wrong.

DrF8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Because cops are a-holes

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 the_stegman  Moderator

They have rights that put them in a higher position of authority than others. And unfortunately, some abuse that right, it's that abuse that gets media coverage (if it bleeds, it leads) and the media influences the publics' opinion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#31  Edited By dernman

Imagine being a cop, having to deal with @$$holes all day and see how long before you turn into one yourself.

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because Rage Against the Machine taught a bunch of people to be tools in the 90's.

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@w0nd said:

It's getting out of hand. I was on the bus the other day, this cop pulled someone over for speeding. seems fair. These two guys started yelling at the cop to do something with his life, and how he is useless...as the guy was peeling and throwing his fruit on the bus ground. Most of the people i witness hating on cops are people who have no respect for anything, and probably get in trouble alot.

Pretty much this. Most times I hear of people hating cops, it's because they got caught doing something they knew they shouldn't have, and then act like they're the victim.

My only reply to that kind of behavior is "cry me a river, son/hun."

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Superguy1591

@cgoodness: To be fair to the Brown protestors, they got a story that says that he was gunned down.

The people of Ferguson reacted because the cops of Ferguson are notoriously thuggish. Did you ever hear about the case where the cops arrested the wrong guy, threw him in jail, beat him up and them charged him with "destruction of property" because he bled on their uniform?

Just because some people arent flag wavers it doesn't mean they hate cops. Also, there are quite a few bad apples in the PDs around America that make certain people view them as a "bad."