• 55 results
#1 Edited by RedLanternSuperman (348 posts) - - Show Bio

How come a girl hitting a guy in real life is usually ignored and probably laughed at. It's extremely popular and 'hilarious' in movies, literature, and especially anime or cartoons.

Yet when a guy hits a girl, it's the crime of the century, and that person is looked upon with disgust and hate....

#2 Posted by Samimista (20603 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think it's funny at all. If anything it's really annoying and rude.

#3 Posted by PeppeyHare (4310 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh boy this thread surely isn't going to turn into a huge war.

#4 Edited by TifaLockhart (14042 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't know, but it is.

#5 Edited by DecoyElite (4019 posts) - - Show Bio

Depends on what you mean by hit. A nice hit the back of the head because someone is being stupid is always nice slapstick regardless of gender IMO.

#6 Posted by Joygirl (18694 posts) - - Show Bio

Because they use hot dogs.

#7 Posted by Wolverine08 (38806 posts) - - Show Bio

Because society is hypocritical.

#8 Posted by longbowhunter (6785 posts) - - Show Bio

One of my earliest memories is my mother bloodying a guy's face with a fist full of rings. Subsequently I watched her beat on every man she was in contact with. There's nothing amusing about women hitting men or men hitting women. Keep your hands to yourself everybody.

#9 Posted by The Stegman (23143 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, it depends on the sitautation. If this is REAL life, abuse of any kind from either gender is unacceptible. But in movies, it depends on the scenario. Usually, when the woman hits a guy (especially in the crotch) it's funny because the guy is being a chauvinist, and underestimating her, and it's cool to see her prove him wrong. However, many cases of women and men fighting can be fun to watch if made humorous, a perfect example of this is the fight in Mr. & Mrs. Smith:

#10 Posted by warlock360 (28050 posts) - - Show Bio

#11 Posted by joshmightbe (24678 posts) - - Show Bio

Because people love double standards while they're on the good side of them.

#12 Edited by Guardiandevil83 (5321 posts) - - Show Bio

Because men are usually stronger and can cause more harm?

#13 Edited by slade_wilson (442 posts) - - Show Bio

@warlock360: Thank you for putting a visual to my thoughts.

#14 Posted by cameron83 (6676 posts) - - Show Bio

In terms of a light slapstick comedy type thing,I don't see any harm in it. And I feel the same way if the guy did the same thing.

An example of what I mean is NCIS with Tony's interaction with (every) female lead. It's usually just a light,playful hit that couldn't even hurt you if you were made of glass

#15 Posted by War Killer (19992 posts) - - Show Bio

Women are a gift to man from God Himself and therefore would be treated with love and respect. This is why when a man hits a woman for any reason, it is looked down upon and is disrespectful.

When a woman hits a man, most of the time it's because we deserve it.

#16 Edited by Pyrogram (35143 posts) - - Show Bio

Double Standards.

#17 Posted by Joygirl (18694 posts) - - Show Bio

Lol, this thread is on the fast track to a bad place.

#18 Posted by DecoyElite (4019 posts) - - Show Bio
#19 Posted by Yokergeist (12355 posts) - - Show Bio

Because men are generally bigger and stronger than women, and a woman's punch usually isn't near as powerful as a man's punch.

#20 Edited by TifaLockhart (14042 posts) - - Show Bio

By "girl" do you mean females in general or an actual little girl?

#21 Posted by Crimson_Vigilante (488 posts) - - Show Bio

@supernategames: But women have CLAWS!!! They'll tear you to shreds, and still seduce yo afterwards. They're damn deadly!

#22 Posted by Batman242 (4860 posts) - - Show Bio

This. 'Cause I know some females that hit extremely hard.

#23 Posted by ARMIV2 (8289 posts) - - Show Bio

Context can make it funny, and something something about gender roles or whatever.
I dunno, if the joke works, I laugh.

#24 Posted by PeppeyHare (4310 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_last_son_of_czarnia said:

This. 'Cause I know some females that hit extremely hard.

The average male is stronger than the average female. That doesn't mean girls can't hurt you lol

#25 Posted by XLR87T3 (2323 posts) - - Show Bio

Because men are generally bigger and stronger than women, and a woman's punch usually isn't near as powerful as a man's punch.

That may answer the OP question, but it doesn't mean women's punches doesn't hurt. The strength/durability difference is not that big, and it seems nowadays women in real life are faaar more willing to attack the testicles than years back.

#26 Posted by GraniteSoldier (6985 posts) - - Show Bio

#27 Posted by Wolverine08 (38806 posts) - - Show Bio
#28 Posted by TifaLockhart (14042 posts) - - Show Bio

Nothing funny about a woman beating a man, girl yes, woman no. IMO.

#29 Posted by Nelomaxwell (10368 posts) - - Show Bio

No one should be beating anyone unless there's a reason for it like self-defense. Or If they're boxers or MMA fighters and that's their job.

#30 Posted by batpala (339 posts) - - Show Bio

Abuse in general isn't okay. And that is all I'm going to say as I wait for this thread to go downhill and then get locked.

#31 Posted by TifaLockhart (14042 posts) - - Show Bio

For the record, real life abuse isn't funny, but fictional abuse and even death can be, depending on the circumstances.

#32 Posted by XLR87T3 (2323 posts) - - Show Bio

Women are a gift to man from God Himself and therefore would be treated with love and respect. This is why when a man hits a woman for any reason, it is looked down upon and is disrespectful.

That's not true at all. Female on Male domestic violence is just as prevalent as the other way around. No one deserves to be hit. Jehovah hates violence, and Men are just as deserving for love and respect as Woman! God made Woman a compliment to Man, not just a "gift" for Men.

Gen. 2:18: “Jehovah God went on to say: ‘It is not good for the man to continue by himself. I am going to make a helper for him, as a complement of him.’” (The man is not here described by God as being a better person than the woman. Rather, God indicated that woman would possess qualities that would complement those of man within God’s arrangement. A complement is one of two mutually completing parts. Thus women as a group are outstanding in certain qualities and abilities; men, in others. Compare 1 Corinthians 11:11, 12.)

Men and Women are equal, though different. So Double Standards like 'If she hits him, he must have done something wrong. If he hits her back, he’s abusive' is completely retarded and a sneaky way for Satan to cause chaos and discord between the sexes. In other words: DON'T PUT YOUR HANDS ON ANYONE, EVERYONE!! :)

Also, you guys should check this out: http://www.returnofkings.com/1106/the-myth-of-never-hitting-a-woman

#33 Posted by War Killer (19992 posts) - - Show Bio

@xlr87t3 said:

@war_killer said:

That's not true at all. Female on Male domestic violence is just as prevalent as the other way around. No one deserves to be hit. Jehovah hates violence, and Men are just as deserving for love and respect as Woman! God made Woman a compliment to Man, not just a "gift" for Men.

Gen. 2:18: “Jehovah God went on to say: ‘It is not good for the man to continue by himself. I am going to make a helper for him, as a complement of him.’” (The man is not here described by God as being a better person than the woman. Rather, God indicated that woman would possess qualities that would complement those of man within God’s arrangement. A complement is one of two mutually completing parts. Thus women as a group are outstanding in certain qualities and abilities; men, in others. Compare 1 Corinthians 11:11, 12.)

Men and Women are equal, though different. So Double Standards like 'If she hits him, he must have done something wrong. If he hits her back, he’s abusive' is completely retarded and a sneaky way for Satan to cause chaos and discord between the sexes. In other words: DON'T PUT YOUR HANDS ON ANYONE, EVERYONE!! :)

Also, you guys should check this out: http://www.returnofkings.com/1106/the-myth-of-never-hitting-a-woman

Oh I completely agree with you that men and women are created as equals and should both be treated with love and respect. I by no means was saying that violence from either gender, whether it be men against women or women against men, is acceptable.

I was speaking in the sense of when a wife or girlfriend hits her husband/boyfriend, as in a subtle slap on the head or something, because he said/did something dumb or embarrassing. I said that partly as a joke, but more out of experience and having seen it happen many times over the years.

I understand that women can be just as violent as men and vice versa. I by no means was saying that there's some double standard, where it's wrong for a man to harm a woman while it's completely fine when it's the other way around. Violence is violence no matter the gender and I agree with everything what you said; I probably should have clarified better by what I meant in my earlier post.

#34 Posted by TDK_1997 (14462 posts) - - Show Bio

Do you mean hitting like in the sexual way or hitting like with punches and objects?

#35 Posted by theTimeStreamer (2841 posts) - - Show Bio

this is where feminists always shut up or change the subject. there is no gender equality. only social equality.

#36 Posted by BumpyBoo (7676 posts) - - Show Bio

For the record, real life abuse isn't funny, but fictional abuse and even death can be, depending on the circumstances.

100% agree with this.

#37 Posted by TheAcidSkull (17331 posts) - - Show Bio

it's wrong but it's more acceptable than a man Hitting a girl.

#38 Posted by Bruxae (12641 posts) - - Show Bio

Its not.

#39 Edited by KaijuKingGojira (1399 posts) - - Show Bio

Because society wants people to think that women are weaker and men should be more mature then to fight back against a women.At the same time society wants you to believe that women should be treated as equals and should not be treated as bags of sex meat.While I agree with the second option alot more society as a whole should understand what side to choose,I don't care what anyone says women have advantages in society too.It should not be okay for A woman to physically do what she want's to a male without retaliation just because a man makes her mad.Society should not be saying how strong women are and then constantly make it out like they fragile creatures that aren't as strong as man.I'd say society is scysophranic.

#40 Posted by Ms. Omega (4404 posts) - - Show Bio

Its not funny at all.

#41 Posted by ShadowX (1217 posts) - - Show Bio

It has too do with societys pre concieved notiona of masculinity and feminity and what it means to be a boy and a girl.

In our society men are seeing as strongers and as protectors. If they misuse there strength to abuse rather then protect ten that is a horrible act. If a man isnt strong at all, society deems him less of a man.

Meanwhile woman are seen as weak and fragile, and meek. So when a woman hits a man its either funny or most people see it as her defending herself.

If a male victim of abuse tells his peers, he migh be laughed at " because a man should be able to defend themselves". This is where the patriarchy harms men. If a man cant meet that criteria of being a man he is teased and maybe deemed a wimp or a"sissy"( because of course the ultimate insult it to be called feminine )

If we were to eliminate gender roles it will lift a burden and expectations.

Also just to add some critique. How many times do you see jokes about " slapping your woman and telling them to make a sandwich" or some other joke similar. Many people still do laugh at violence against women. But nobody should be laughed at for being a victim.

#42 Posted by ssejllenrad (12847 posts) - - Show Bio

Watch practical jokes on YouTube and see that most instances that women think are 'funny' involve hitting a guy in the nuts... But I've never seen a guy punching a girl's breast as funny... Yeah double standards...

Also, remember when The Talk (especially Sharon Osbourne) thought that the real life cutting off of a man's penis was hilarious? Stupid double standard idiots.

#43 Posted by mrdecepticonleader (17594 posts) - - Show Bio

Double standards really.

In a fictional context id say its alright to laugh, because that is in a fictional context and is not real, and usually when you do laugh at it, it is presented in such a way. And I think that should go for both men and women.

But in a real context. That abuse that is done to a man from a woman is seen as funny, or the man is seen as "less of a man" that kind of thing. Its just awful.

#44 Posted by dccomicsrule2011 (23274 posts) - - Show Bio

Double standards really.

In a fictional context id say its alright to laugh, because that is in a fictional context and is not real, and usually when you do laugh at it, it is presented in such a way. And I think that should go for both men and women.

But in a real context. That abuse that is done to a man from a woman is seen as funny, or the man is seen as "less of a man" that kind of thing. Its just awful.

I concur.

#45 Posted by youmessinwithme (1181 posts) - - Show Bio

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JHLt2a-tt4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaSWPasCX0Y

because society is hugely hypocritical, and because in the case that pro boxers aren't involved (see above ^) on average a man can usually probably hit harder than a woman of the same size and weight(men generally carry about 20% more muscle mass in their upper body), and because on Average men grow somewhat larger than women(see world averages i'm not being sexist). Beyond that it's purely sexism. I've let a girl hit me 12 times before i even warned her if she hit me again that i was going to hit her back(other people were around and i didn't want to get beat up for hitting a girl), she hit me again and i hit her right back.(not with a fist) and when i tell that story to people i guarantee some of them think of me as less of man. (and i weigh about 120ibs)

#46 Posted by youmessinwithme (1181 posts) - - Show Bio

No one should be beating anyone unless there's a reason for it like self-defense. Or If they're boxers or MMA fighters and that's their job.

although i agree with you on the above point completely, I don't think there are sanctioned split gender fights in MMA or boxing it's women against women and men against men to my understanding. The closest thing to that happening is a transgender MMA fighter which there is a lot of controversy over(for good reason.)

#47 Posted by Xwraith (15456 posts) - - Show Bio

Who the hell says that's funny?

#48 Edited by judasnixon (6213 posts) - - Show Bio

Does this count?

#49 Posted by Dextersinister (5785 posts) - - Show Bio

The problem is your taking averages.

It's not considered that big of a deal for a strong man to hit a much weaker man in comparison with any man to hit a woman.

The real answer is because of instincts that we no longer need. A man hitting another man shows that he is dominant, stronger and can better protect and a male hitting a female goes against the pack mentality of protecting the females.

So at the end of the day reasoning it out a man hitting a woman is just as bad as hitting a man of equal build, simply put it's not ok for anyone to hit anyone bar self defense and so on.

#50 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio

No