Why don't you post on the battle board anymore?

• 96 results
TifaLockhart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

C'mon, man, I miss you.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

Was this directed at someone in particular?

TifaLockhart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes and yes.

Joewell911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Joewell911
Nearl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

me!

TifaLockhart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By TifaLockhart

Anyone who doesn't post lately. It could use some more traffic.

Nearl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

oh..

TifaLockhart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also, no one has decoded my cryptic message yet.

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Im tired of the same old arguments. Im tired of correcting complete misinformation in every debate. Im tired of people only saying who would win based on who they like more. The Batmans and Wolverines (and in the past the Gokus) of the world kill battle debates. Batman couldnt beat anything more than low level metas, yet in a debate its always argued he could beat anyone, with the only argument being preptime. Wolverine is nearly impossible to kill, sure, but what can he do against nigh invulnerable, super fast characters? The only joy I get is Wolverine vs Batman threads lol.

TifaLockhart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Vegeta fan?

JJ62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By JJ62

@deaditegonzo: THIS.

Plus, to me it gets a bit hypocritical at times because we don't (or at least we shouldn't) base our love for the characters off of their power sets. I don't mind having a fight debate now and then, Hulk vs Superman, Daredevil vs Batman, Thor vs Wonder Woman, etc. I enjoy them when folks are willing to put aside preference and think objectively, but that honestly rarely happens. And when you like a character based purely off of how powerful they are then it gets kinda stupid IMO.

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By deaditegonzo

Vegeta fan?

Dude, I love DBZ more than pretty much any comic book or comic book character. I also accept that Mystic Gohan, Goku SSJ3, and Buutenks are the single most powerful Dragon Ball characters.

That said, not a ONE OF THEM could defeat a high herald level character, Thor, Superman, Captain Marvel, etc.

Avatar image for spinningbirdcake
spinningbirdcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By spinningbirdcake

The reasons above me. It seems like people don't realize that strength isn't what makes a super hero powerful, it's the lack of it and the perseverance due to that lack of strength that makes them powerful. Darksied can, has, and probably will in the future, proceeded to b!tch slap Superman left and right, but he just gets up and keeps fighting. That's what makes him great. So saying Hulk is weaker than Thor or Thor is weaker than Hulk just isn't an interesting debate to me I suppose.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#14  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

I do post there on rare occasion. But basically everyone I respect is gone, so I really don't feel like debating with those who remain.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

The reasons above me. It seems like people don't realize that strength isn't what makes a super hero powerful, it's the lack of it and the perseverance due to that lack of strength that makes them powerful. Darksied can, has, and probably will in the future, proceeded to b!tch slap Superman left and right, but he just gets up and keeps fighting. That's what makes him great. So saying Hulk is weaker than Thor or Thor is weaker than Hulk just isn't an interesting debate to me I suppose.

That, and when people can't accept that they're wrong and say "it's bad writing"

JJ62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By JJ62

@teerack: I agree there. When proven wrong, many will blame it on bad writing. Honestly, there is no end to the "bad writing" argument, I can argue against every single feat of every character and call it bad writing.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#17  Edited By Saren

There's usually not much worth debating and no one worth debating with. All the established debaters eventually started debating less and less, and eventually I got bored as well and now I post sporadically depending on whether anything catches my interest. I've also sort of lost the patience to address ridiculous arguments, of which the battle forum is in no short supply; if someone says something that's just plain absurd, I simply don't bother replying to it. A policy like that makes the odds of replying to a thread slimmer considering how much absurdity most threads contain.

Each new crop of debaters is worse than the one that came before. Most of them will gladly ignore context and relevant details while posting feats from issues they've never read, and the reliance on respect threads over any actual material they've read is ridiculous. I've seen clowns who posted scans of a fight between two characters A and B; they claimed B won the fight and was superior even though the issue itself states that the fight was faked. When I pointed this out, aforementioned clown actually tried to claim he wasn't in the wrong because the respect thread he flicked the scans from didn't mention the context, and who was he to question a respect thread or read the issue instead of just googling scans?

Avatar image for spinningbirdcake
spinningbirdcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jj62: @teerack: Yeah the "Oh that's just PIS" argument does pop up quite often. Bit of a shame as some of my favorite stories in comics come from my favorite characters getting beaten badly.

Avatar image for yung_ancient_one
Yung ANcient One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

I'm just not very familiar with every character to decide who I think would win, and every time I do I get posts from fanboys letting me know how wrong I am in a pompous manner that I find annoying. I also think a lot of matches shouldn't even be discussed if it is such an easy "curbstomp."

( + )

JJ62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To me it just gets old, "Who can beat who??" doesn't really matter to me anymore...

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#21  Edited By Teerack

@spinningbirdcake: Agree it's always more interesting to see a character struggle from time to time appose to just running around being unbeatable.

JJ62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#23  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

It's become a shell of its former self.

Blah blah blah "This guy stomps"

blah blah blah "spite"

blah blah blah, "I'll just state who I like more as the winner with no further explaination"

Blah blah blah "Flame Wars Episode II: Attack of the Trolls"

Blah blah blah, Flash solos

Avatar image for yung_ancient_one
Yung ANcient One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

It's become a shell of its former self.

Blah blah blah "This guy stomps"

blah blah blah "spite"

blah blah blah, "I'll just state who I like more as the winner with no further explaination"

Blah blah blah "Flame Wars Episode II: Attack of the Trolls"

Blah blah blah, Flash solos

This

SO much

this

( + )

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sense of superiority from some posters -- old and new in terms of their perceptions of themselves and others. Pandering and ego-stroking and ignorance and belligerence and plain old trolling. I read battles more than I partake in them because it's amusing reading all these factions interact.

Popularity contests as well. Which is the same on other forums as well, to be fair. It's just more blatant on the Battles forums.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

The battles forum was never good.

It was just less entertaining.

Now it's a thing of beauty.

Avatar image for trueilluminatus
TrueIlluminatus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By TrueIlluminatus

Debating used to be an amenable, challenging, and thereby rewarding way for me to blow off steam stemming from the real world. The battle forums used to be filled with people who were excellent debaters, and it had nothing to do with their vast comic book acumen. I rarely see a remnant of that bygone era, and when functionally illiterate teenagers without the slightest concept of context or constructing legitimate, logically sound arguments start to become the majority, all hope is lost into the abyss of despair.

laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lykopis said:

Sense of superiority from some posters -- old and new in terms of their perceptions of themselves and others. Pandering and ego-stroking and ignorance and belligerence and plain old trolling. I read battles more than I partake in them because it's amusing reading all these factions interact.

Popularity contests as well. Which is the same on other forums as well, to be fair. It's just more blatant on the Battles forums.

The following point intrigues me. Enlighten me, great one.......

See what I did there

but seriously.

The battles forum was never good.

It was just less entertaining.

Now it's a thing of beauty.

I am the only one who thinks that Trolls have reduced in number or at least remained stable? There was always a great troll of each age in Comicvine. We have had rygi, Klandicar, Ternimator_Fan all ravage the boards over the past few years. Trolls come and go......

And this is a more general point. People tend to get better at debating as time goes on. I can think of several cases of people noticeably improving as time has gone on here.

ARMIV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ARMIV2

I rarely post in battles for kind of the same reasons I don't go into religious debates.

Avatar image for fuchsia_nightingale
Fuchsia_Nightingale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

I'm not seven :P

Nerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#31  Edited By Nerx

@teerack: "it's bad writing"

this, although there are some rare cases (SMvFL) where characters who have literally no chance whatsoever defeating an obviously stronger one. Squirrel girl is not because she was tailor made with that purpose, fun personified in a glum world. KK works on wuxia rules, it seems that fans didn't get the spirit behind why the characters are made.

@jj62:I enjoy them when folks are willing to put aside preference and think objectively, but that honestly rarely happens.

this, truth be told I became a fan of wildstorm after reading the battle threads. On of my faves got whomped by middy then I picked up his books. Safe to say I was hooked, then I became a fan.

@deaditegonzo: . Im tired of people only saying who would win based on who they like more.

this, perhaps re-education and tier levels should be established in battle forums

Aiden Cross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

I used to. But a lot of people don't debate or try to learn things from others, they just try to prove they're right even when they're wrong. It's pointless then.

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow...I didn't know that so many of you vets are so disenchanted with the Battles boards.

I don't frequent it as often as others, and I don't have the patience for an extended CaV-style debate, but I do drop in every now and then. I've had some fun back-and-forths, and there's still the occasional entertaining debate by skilled debaters. Granted, there are some bad apples, but I've learned not to take these discussions too seriously.

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@laflux:

I am speaking of myself, of course. I pander and ego-stroke.

Cuz I wanna be one of the kewl kidz.

Gotta shmooze, dude.

Shmoooooooze....

laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By laflux

@lykopis said:

@laflux:

Gotta shmooze, dude.

Shmoooooooze....

There is a sly written jab at me written in there because I've made clear my factions concerning certain people on Comicvine.

For that, I applaud you :P

BumpyBoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 20

#37 BumpyBoo  Moderator

@lykopis said:

@laflux:

Gotta shmooze, dude.

Shmoooooooze....

This is one of my favourite things you have ever said XD

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@laflux:

**blinks innocently**

I haven't the faintest.....

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By lykopis
Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

the Battle thread is boring because it's pointless, pepole seem to think characters are defined by a rigid set of rules that cannot be over come but that is just straight up false, characters will do everything and anything the writer needs them to do. Asking who would win between character X and character Y is like asking who would win a fight between the wind and the rain.

Killemall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I used to be very fond of battle forum, not as much. I think these days its more about trying to justify your position rather than trying to listen to another people argument. Its weird some people are so averse of correction they would do everything they can do try and make it sound what they are saying is and has always been reasonable regardless of the overwhelming evidence to contrary.

I think the place just gets a little too hostile, i do still post on Battle forum, not nearly as often as i used to.

Avatar image for betatesthighlander1
Betatesthighlander1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

some people seem to think that everyone else needs to listen to their arguments'

but they shouldn't listen to anyone else's arguements

Myrmidon_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Myrmidon_

@laflux: Ohh you get beat again and don't call backup? :P

laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@laflux: Ohh you get beat again and don't call backup? :P

Pshhhhhhh. I didn't get beat. I'm proud of who I am :D

Myrmidon_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

FlashDamn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By FlashDamn

It is not because it got unpopular it is because it cant be bumped to the recent activity board(GLITCH) so people dont notice most of its threads

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#47  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator

I do all the time. It's just more along the lines of banning, warning, locking, and deleting threads than debating nowadays.

MrDirector786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

I stopped going not because of fanboys and trolls but because original battles got ignored while battles that had been done to death got so much attention. I came to accept that there will always be users who troll, refuse to listen to other's arguments, and were just not good at debating so I kind of learned to live with it. On the other hand, I got sick of seeing only battles like "Thor vs Superman" or "Superman vs Hulk" or "Hulk vs Thor" or whatever get so much attention while battles that had lesser used characters or more original battle scenarios got ignored. It's like someone would make a battle that's never been done and made an interesting scenario, then someone makes "Superman with a Green Lantern Ring vs Thor with a Blue Lantern Ring" and the latter thread is the one that gets all the attention.

It also didn't help when other users also said that we need more original battles and we need to stop giving so much attention to mismatches and overdone battles and yet many of them were the ones who posted the most in the overdone battles....

blur99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By blur99

the Battle thread is boring because it's pointless, pepole seem to think characters are defined by a rigid set of rules that cannot be over come but that is just straight up false, characters will do everything and anything the writer needs them to do. Asking who would win between character X and character Y is like asking who would win a fight between the wind and the rain.

Great post. And each writer sometimes write the characters differently.

Also most of the great battles have been done already.

Avatar image for wolf_of_the_west
Wolf_of_the_West

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's usually not much worth debating and no one worth debating with. All the established debaters eventually started debating less and less, and eventually I got bored as well and now I post sporadically depending on whether anything catches my interest. I've also sort of lost the patience to address ridiculous arguments, of which the battle forum is in no short supply; if someone says something that's just plain absurd, I simply don't bother replying to it. A policy like that makes the odds of replying to a thread slimmer considering how much absurdity most threads contain.

Each new crop of debaters is worse than the one that came before. Most of them will gladly ignore context and relevant details while posting feats from issues they've never read, and the reliance on respect threads over any actual material they've read is ridiculous. I've seen clowns who posted scans of a fight between two characters A and B; they claimed B won the fight and was superior even though the issue itself states that the fight was faked. When I pointed this out, aforementioned clown actually tried to claim he wasn't in the wrong because the respect thread he flicked the scans from didn't mention the context, and who was he to question a respect thread or read the issue instead of just googling scans?

Basically this. I use to have thousands of posts on battle forum alone and the thing that kept me going was to excellent quality of CV's debaters. Of course there were trolls too, but now most of the top debaters have moved on to other sites or quit debating. So opportunities for a good debate are slim.