Why does God need people to worship him?

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#1  Edited By joshmightbe

This is not intended as flame war bait, and I'm not trying to insult anyone's religious views or lack there of, nor am I questioning whether or not God is worthy of worship I just genuinely want to know people's views on the question. Please if you intend to start a fight go elsewhere. I mean no offence with this thread I swear this is just genuine curiosity.

NlGHTCRAWLER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By NlGHTCRAWLER

Well... your question is kind of subjective, because not everyone believes in the same God.

The God I believe in doesn't need to be worshiped and for the most part isnt.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By joshmightbe

@NlGHTCRAWLER: Well I was more going for the general concept of God than any specific one, I also believe that God doesn't really require worship I was just curious about people's reasoning for Gods who do.

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By ssejllenrad

It's like any sport... They need to be cheered. It's an ego boost like no other. Nyahaha! Kidding. I don't know.

NlGHTCRAWLER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By NlGHTCRAWLER

@joshmightbe: Well in general, most people believe that God is "the sum of all perfections" which leaves no room for a need. If this were true, then God wouldn't lack anything. This is all hypothetical of course.

If God were some egotistical tyrant, that would imply a lack which doesn't add up to the first statement. I guess the only answer would be that God would want us to worship him because it somehow benefited us, which is arguable, but I can't see any other answer without it conflicting with his omnipotence.

Interesting question.

terry2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By terry2012

Which GOD are you referring to?

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By joshmightbe

@terry2012: Any god that requires worship

terry2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By terry2012

@joshmightbe: Okay thanks

Shadow Stalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Shadow Stalker

God doesn't need our worship (or anything for that matter). However, he does want to fellowship with his creations. Worship is our response to a loving creator's willingness to fellowship with us.

IZZR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By IZZR

God does in NO way need us to worship Him or anything else for that matter but because He is worthy of worship thats why you should worship Him.

JonSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By JonSmith

@IZZR: Before reading any further, keep in mind any apparently disparaging comments I make regarding your deity of choice or religion associated with it is not intended to offend, insult, or judge. I am genuinely curious as to the answer to my questions. Now. That said.

What, in your opinion, makes Him worthy of worship?

IZZR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By IZZR

@JonSmith said:

@IZZR: Before reading any further, keep in mind any apparently disparaging comments I make regarding your deity of choice or religion associated with it is not intended to offend, insult, or judge. I am genuinely curious as to the answer to my questions. Now. That said.

lol dont worry im not one to fly off the rail, He is worthy of worship if you acknowledge Him as your creator, if you believe there is an afterlife then you know this one is a test and in this test He has made it mandatory for you and i to worship Him for the little time we have on this Earth and should you do that then that would be your ticket to paradise because it proves that 1. you acknowledge He created you and gave you the opportunity to actually live in eternal bliss, 2. you followed the path he set you without cynicism as after all he did create you the least you should do is worship him. Now im solely speaking of my faith which is Islam as far as i know Christians are of the opinion that you just have to love Jesus (peace be upon him) to earn paradise, i think this is a bit too easy and they innovate ways of worshipping God instead of actually following a standard method of worship he proscribed, i dont intend to offend anyone but dancing and at times booty shaking on the altar seems wrong not to mention all the fake pastors claiming "spiritual healing" by hiring their friends to act sick and with a mere touch theyre healed.....complete nonsense.

pooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By pooty

@JonSmith said: @joshmightbe:

God does NOT need or require anything from people. God does NOT say "worship me and i will reward you". He says "obey me and i will reward you". many people praise or worship god but they won't be rewarded. They praise him on sunday but reject him in their daily lives. So God does not require or need worship. He requires obedience.

But if you believe that God created you, then you should worship him. Worship is nothing more then a form of appreciation. That's it. It's a way of saying "thank You for all you've done". If you thank your parents for taking care of you or you thank someone when they open a door for you. When your child does a good job in school you praise them. i see no problem thanking or praising the person who created all things.

Avatar image for mrdecepticonleader
mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@ApatheticAvenger said:

Because he's a narcissistic jerk?

This.

He is a fictional petty tyrant.

Avatar image for mrdecepticonleader
mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@ApatheticAvenger said:

@mrdecepticonleader said:

@ApatheticAvenger said:

This.

He is a fictional petty tyrant.

Takes one to know one Decepticon! ;)

In all seriousness though, I leave this:

The Amazing Anti-Theist
The Amazing Anti-Theist

Take the petty part out I mean if people dont obey me I just blow them up there is no passive aggressive nonsense with me.

lol

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#18  Edited By SC  Moderator

Traditionally its because of trickle down systems. Even today with phones, planes, internet, TV, email, radio, certain types of information and knowledge are exclusive and secretive and only known to a few who do all they can to keep that knowledge or information limited. Now think how easy it would be to keep a secret when the majority people didn't even have access to pens or pencils wait, actually where the majority of people didn't even know how to read or write. The climate for those in authority and power to tell people what to do and what is what and be obeyed would be pretty extreme. With no ways to confirm or check whether you were being lied to or deceived and the penalty for disobedience usually death? So some in power and authority who had special connections with god whether they felt it was a sincere connection or not, well in advocating worship of a god, you can advocate the special treatment of those spreading and giving the word of god. Knowledge is power after all, and if you can sell a person on the idea of a soul you can sell a person on the price of a soul and then its easy to get them to pay to ensure their soul won't be damned.     

At the time demanding that people worship god because god demanded it wasn't really that backwards a thing either, in fact in many ways at the times, it was actually pretty forward relatively. Plus if worship was demanded at the time, who knows where else people might have turned to for worship. If your god didn't require worship, then why also should special treatment be given to those whose connection to the divine be greater than most. So trickle down system. Unfortunately its still in play today, many religions, many places around the world still have priests and churches that benefit of its congregations in unfair ways because its required as an act of serving the lord god our savior who loves you so much that you should give your priest a summer home and a boat and don't worry about feeding your children, because if they believe in god then in heaven their mouths will overflow with food. its about priorities, god first, church and priest second, yourself and your afterlife third, reality lastly. Except in that sense its relieving to also know so any modern believers have cut out the middle man completely and have a more personal relationship with god, that doesn't require worship. Personally I would have wished god demand that people educate themselves and learn critical thinking skills, and hey maybe he did? Maybe its all us flawed humans interpreting his message wrong? I mean that has to be it hopefully, otherwise it would almost seem like god was a man made construct.         

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By King_Saturn
God does not need worship... People feel the need to worship God for various reasons... Worship for the most part is just outwardly praise that is done and seen by other humans... it ultimately is irrelevant though if the people who worship God don't follow his Law... because it's all like Lip Service then... so I guess the flat out answer is "God does not need worship, Religious Man does to make themselves feel like they are doing God favors by shaking their ass or singing in a church" 

[=
CapFanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By CapFanboy

@joshmightbe: Cause if you don't worship/believe he loses his power...or is that santa. I can't remember.

Avatar image for shamelesslysupportinaznballers
Shamelesslysupportinaznballers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In my opinion, God does not need people to worship him/her/it. People who represent god need you to worship him though in the form of gifts & money though. Without worshipers, most of those people would actually need to go out and do actual work.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By joshmightbe

The point of this thread wasn't to support or detract from any particular religion, nor was it to question the worth of anyone's god. It was simply a question of why worship would be required, no judgement is intended

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By King_Saturn
"Hot Sauce" makes everything taste better.