Why does evil exist?

ShadowSilver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ShadowSilver

There is no Satan so what is this evil in the world? Why does it breathe and flourish in the world? 

TotalBalance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By TotalBalance

Evil is a subjective creation of the human mind, It exists because people think it exists.

Avatar image for vercingetorixthegreat
VercingetorixTheGreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Actually I believe there is a Satan. Adam and Eve.

BiteMe-Fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By BiteMe-Fanboy

The same reason why there is Good.

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Blood1991

This depends on a number of different factors depending on your different religious and ethical views. What contributes to this could be caused by a combination of a series of things; biology, environment, psychology. I do not believe any person is born evil, but their ethics can be distorted by these things.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#6  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

Free will.

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 10

#7  Edited By Strider1992

Because we are animals at our core. Killing, fighting, cruelty etc... are common in the animal world we are after all programmed to survive its our basic instinct. For example some animals let some of their young die and concentrate on a single baby because they can guarantee its survival and the continuation of their genetic line. It seems cruel to us because things like evil and cruelty are concepts we have designed to designated what is right and wrong. Animals have no concept of this. The reason there is "evil" in the world is because it is hardwired into us to fight our way to the top at any cost. Not all of us act on it because most people are happy to conform and live alongside each other which is of course a good thing.

BiteMe-Fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By BiteMe-Fanboy

@Strider92 said:

Because we are animals at our core. Killing, fighting, cruelty etc... are common in the animal world we are after all programmed to survive its our basic instinct. For example some animals let some of their young die and concentrate on a single baby because they can guarantee its survival and the continuation of their genetic line. It seems cruel to us because things like evil and cruelty are concepts we have designed to designated what is right and wrong. Animals have no concept of this. The reason there is "evil" in the world is because it is hardwired into us to fight our way to the top at any cost. Not all of us act on it because most people are happy to conform and live alongside each other which is of course a good thing.

You're comment makes a lot of sense, but does that go for people who get pleasure from torturing people, molest children, shoot children, rape people, try to wipe out a whole race, etc. to?

BumpyBoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 20

#9  Edited By BumpyBoo  Moderator

As already stated, I think evil is a subjective term.

A lot of people who commit acts we would consider evil do so because from their perspective, for whatever reason, it is the right (or sometimes only) thing to do. Some people act out of compulsion, obligation or pressure from others, out of fear, a moment of rage, an overwhelming desire. There are so many reasons people do the things they do, and I think it is important to consider that before stating that evil exists. Also, a lot of people who enjoy suffering also have some degree of brain damage, mental illness, or have had horrific lives themselves.

I am not saying any of this excuses bad behaviour - or at least behaviour which would be deemed by society at large to be bad - but I suppose my point is that I think that there are so many complex contributing factors involved when it comes to human behaviour that to label any of it as evil is a little simplistic.

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Blood1991

@BumpyBoo said:

A lot of people who commit acts we would consider evil do so because from their perspective, for whatever reason, it is the right (or sometimes only) thing to do. Some people act out of compulsion, obligation or pressure from others, out of fear, a moment of rage, an overwhelming desire. There are so many reasons people do the things they do, and I think it is important to consider that before stating that evil exists. Also, a lot of people who enjoy suffering also have some degree of brain damage, mental illness, or have had horrific lives themselves.

I am not saying any of this excuses bad behaviour - or at least behaviour which would be deemed by society at large to be bad - but I suppose my point is that I think that there are so many complex contributing factors involved when it comes to human behaviour that to label any of it as evil is a little simplistic.

True. Even the most vile person can attempt to justify their actions, meaning in some distorted way they believe they are in the right. It really has so much to do with perspective, and lets not forget that as we grow as a society what is right and wrong changes drastically.

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Strider1992

@BiteMe-Fanboy: Insanity exists in the animal world too. Heck even cats kill for the joy of it. My cat used to kill birds for no reason at all. He didn't eat them he just did it because it was fun. Some people and animals are just sick in the head.

Overall we are of a higher intelligence and can understand the consequences of our actions thus we don't normally do anything to compromise our chances at survival. Killing young also exists. Coucou's kill other birds young and replace them with their own. It even happens in your own backyard. Male cats kill kittens quite a lot. Rape also exists I won't go into detail on this, so does what we would call underage sex. However animals are not on our level of thinking ability. Emotions are very rare in the animal kingdom. When a child reaches a certain age the parents cease to have any contact with it and will even treat their own child with hostility because it now presents a threat to them.

I'm going to touch on this very lightly as its a touchy subject. Rape occurs in the animal kingdom for example with frogs its not uncommon for multiple males to jump on one female even though the animal in question has only accepted one mate. If she is impregnated the frog does not have any emotional response to it as it cannot conceive or comprehend emotion. It has no concept that what has happened to it is good or bad. Thus it will simply walk away from the event completely unscathed mentally. Human's on the other hand can thus why the victims of those horrible experiences are left scarred and traumatized.

The only difference here is that we comprehend emotion on a far deeper level. Hence the reason we get emotionally hurt. If a mate looses his/her mate to another individual in the animal kingdom they don't get sad or suicidal they simply move on to the next mate or in some cases attempt to establish the prior connection. Crimes are evil I will not defend anyone who commits an atrocity i'm just trying to explain the nature behind it.

FalconPuuunch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By FalconPuuunch

In my experience people who believe that there is no such thing as evil fit into one of two categories.

1.) They have never experienced it themselves.

2.) They are in some sense of the word "evil."

Not every evil person out there has a sob story or some medical illness. It exists.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#13  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

'coz it's fun

Matchstick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Matchstick
@JediXMan said:

Free will.

This.  /thread.
Vaeternus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Vaeternus

Sadly, because it's just one of those things that balance the universe.

Meaning, wherever there's good, there's evil.

Light, Darkness

Fat, skinny

So on and so forth..

dtm1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By dtm1980

@ShadowSilver:

Evil is just a word created by Christians to describe what the lowest form of human intellect can accomplish as opposed to the higher thinkers that look for peaceful solutions. Yet we react in kind and call it justice because sometimes you have to fight to restore peace and harmony etc. Most wrong doers are just the by-product of constant wrong doing. If violence was all you were taught then through fear you learn to make fear and violence your tool of liberation. The more you practice being a badass, the better you get at it and then before you know it, it's what you're best at.

But they say you can be born bad too. Hormonal defects, brain damage, a little too much of something and a lack of something else... the colour of your skin in a place where racism is an issue. Bad behaviour has always existed yet we learn to want peace when we grow up because always being angry or afraid seriously messes with your health. So... either you're a fighter, a mediator, a terrorist or one of the lucky few that get to be ignorant for every hour and every day of their entire life.

Evil in my eyes is like the residue of what the Nazi's did in WW2, if you could ever relate it to a higher force. People are haunted by inhuman acts and when it happens on a large scale, the darkness never goes away... wow, did I just ramble? :/

wario1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By wario1988

@Matchstick said:

@JediXMan said:

Free will.

This. /thread.

Thread!

Vortex13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Vortex13

"There is a special hell reserved for child molesters and people who talk at the theater."

Sorry felt like quoting that.

Anyway evil is a concept and is subjective. There is some quote I forget who said it but it's this "So the aim is not to miss the mark, so does evil not exist in the world." I do not actually agree with that quote. Some people, I think, do go out with the intent to cause harm. Evil though like already stated is a concept attributed to things that are bad or horrible in this world and many people have fluctuations in the way this concept applies to them and their viewpoints. Evil is a word used to describe something that is typically to horrible to for a person to apply another word or concept to. As a concept it exist, it is just viewed differently from person to person. However as a real tangible concrete thing it does, in my opinion, not exist. Evil is just a word that people use to describe something bad.

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By King_Saturn
Because GOD loves to play both sides of the field. 
=D
KnightRise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By KnightRise

To me, evil is causing harm to others for the sake of enjoyment and gain. Some people are just that messed up.

Vortex13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Vortex13

@dtm1980 said:

@ShadowSilver:

Evil is just a word created by Christians to describe what the lowest form of human intellect can accomplish as opposed to the higher thinkers that look for peaceful solutions. Yet we react in kind and call it justice because sometimes you have to fight to restore peace and harmony etc. Most wrong doers are just the by-product of constant wrong doing. If violence was all you were taught then through fear you learn to make fear and violence your tool of liberation. The more you practice being a badass, the better you get at it and then before you know it, it's what you're best at.

But they say you can be born bad too. Hormonal defects, brain damage, a little too much of something and a lack of something else... the colour of your skin in a place where racism is an issue. Bad behaviour has always existed yet we learn to want peace when we grow up because always being angry or afraid seriously messes with your health. So... either you're a fighter, a mediator, a terrorist or one of the lucky few that get to be ignorant for every hour and every day of their entire life.

Evil in my eyes is like the residue of what the Nazi's did in WW2, if you could ever relate it to a higher force. People are haunted by inhuman acts and when it happens on a large scale, the darkness never goes away... wow, did I just ramble? :/

Your comment on the being born bad thing I find to be inaccurate. Can someone truly be evil if they are born with a mental defect that inhibits there decision making or mental processes? If someone genuinely doesn't understand that what they are doing is wrong or bad then I don't think that that person can be considered evil. Broken, deranged, yes. Just because someone can preform an evil act does not mean that the person who commits this act is evil themselves.

WARLOCK2792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#22  Edited By WARLOCK2792

@King Saturn said:

Because GOD loves to play both sides of the field. =D

You be sayin stuff KNOWIN that people are going to try to come for you.lol

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Strider1992

@King Saturn said:

Hah I see what you did there! You be baiting people son. Thats some skilled baiting right there one might even say you are a master baiter!

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By King_Saturn
@White Mage said:

@King Saturn said:

@Strider92 said:

@King Saturn said:

Hah I see what you did there! You be baiting people son. Thats some skilled baiting right there one might even say you are a master baiter!

No Caption Provided
InnerAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By InnerAssassin

@King Saturn said:

Magethor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Magethor

Because of Mephisto. Me and NeedleBay were talking about that in another thread.

WARLOCK2792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By WARLOCK2792

@King Saturn said:

@White Mage said:

@King Saturn said:

@Strider92 said:

@King Saturn said:

No Caption Provided

LOL!

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Strider1992

@King Saturn said:

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Wonderbrezzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Wonderbrezzy
@King Saturn: wrong, God is not malevolent, in him is no darkness!  Evil exsist in our world due to Sin originated by  Lucifer  now called Satan. its a power of influence that makes us go against the very nature of God and his laws. We are born with the power to do it, because of what adam and eve did, and that power covers everything  all kingdoms, remember God gave us power over all species and powers. its why death  reigns. and the universe is in chaos. Space so harsh, galaxies desolent violent . God put the planets in place to keep life goin on earth u see some of these astroids if not for other planets would have wiped us out. plus the very being of a planet shows Gods enormous Power. this Chaos , Sin, Evil isnt from God nor does he condone it! its only ALLOWed  temporarly so man can have Free will. Gods price of giving free will is a world of total Chaos! thank God hes ending it soon! God dont deal n play with evil. Thats the devil get it right!
TotalBalance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By TotalBalance

@Wonderbrezzy said:

@King Saturn: wrong, God is not malevolent, in him is no darkness! Evil exsist in our world due to Sin originated by Lucifer now called Satan. its a power of influence that makes us go against the very nature of God and his laws. We are born with the power to do it, because of what adam and eve did, and that power covers everything all kingdoms, remember God gave us power over all species and powers. its why death reigns. and the universe is in chaos. Space so harsh, galaxies desolent violent . God put the planets in place to keep life goin on earth u see some of these astroids if not for other planets would have wiped us out. plus the very being of a planet shows Gods enormous Power. this Chaos , Sin, Evil isnt from God nor does he condone it! its only ALLOWed temporarly so man can have Free will. Gods price of giving free will is a world of total Chaos! thank God hes ending it soon! God dont deal n play with evil. Thats the devil get it right!

You can't actually believe this can you, do you not see how ridiculous this sounds?

Avatar image for mrdecepticonleader
mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@BumpyBoo said:

True

Also those people who do such things may well also be capable of doing "good things".Just like you and I and everyone is capable of doing "evil things".

Wonderbrezzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Wonderbrezzy
@TotalBalance: absoleutly i believe !!! till i die, I know the Lord is real hes saved me , and answered my Prayers many times over . And gives knowledge and secrets no man knows. you have the ultimate question  your awaiting God to answer. Fire away he just might have it for you hunnie! ill pray on it.
Avatar image for redbird3rdboywonder
redbird3rdboywonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Aku Soku Zan"

Evil is a subjective term used to define whatever is considered morally unjust but asimple answer would be is because it's apart of human nature

TotalBalance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By TotalBalance

Eugenics sounds like a better and better idea everyday.......

starrk_coyote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By starrk_coyote

@TotalBalance said:

Evil is a subjective creation of the human mind, It exists because people think it exists.

that is pretty much the same for me as well to be honest. :)

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By King_Saturn
@Wonderbrezzy said:
@King Saturn: wrong, God is not malevolent, in him is no darkness!  Evil exsist in our world due to Sin originated by  Lucifer  now called Satan. its a power of influence that makes us go against the very nature of God and his laws. We are born with the power to do it, because of what adam and eve did, and that power covers everything  all kingdoms, remember God gave us power over all species and powers. its why death  reigns. and the universe is in chaos. Space so harsh, galaxies desolent violent . God put the planets in place to keep life goin on earth u see some of these astroids if not for other planets would have wiped us out. plus the very being of a planet shows Gods enormous Power. this Chaos , Sin, Evil isnt from God nor does he condone it! its only ALLOWed  temporarly so man can have Free will. Gods price of giving free will is a world of total Chaos! thank God hes ending it soon! God dont deal n play with evil. Thats the devil get it right!
Nope, Evil exists because GOD wants it to... even GOD himself participates in Evil... better go back and read some of the horrible things GOD did to humanity in the Old Testament... from killing thousands because David took a census, to having a bear slaughter little children because they made fun of a prophet's bald head, to having entire cities slaughtered and allowing the Israelites to keep the virgin women for themselves after they kill everyone else, from GOD causing famines that led to people having to eat their own children, from GOD having people sacrifice innocent animals to have atonement for Sin in the OT, from GOD killing everyone on the entire earth because he was fed up with apparently the morbid progress of man... but screw the kids right ? Are you not seeing the trend ? That GOD's answer for everything that he does not like is always Death or a harsh punishment... now some believe that this has changed from a New Testament standpoint and all the stuff Jesus did... but remember basically those who are not the Elect go to Hell to be punished by GOD... a lot of people say that humans send themselves to hell... but the problem with that is it's GOD who claims he chooses who will be his elect and he knows who will follow him meaning he knows also who will not follow him. So the reality is that GOD plays both the Evil Tyrant GOD and Merciful GOD as he chooses... 
dtm1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By dtm1980

I used to believe in the conventions of religion but even though I am a believer of many things, I see things unconventionally. just like the universe consists of infinite atoms that create everything from a sub atomic level etc the devil is literally in the detail. The same devil that turns foundations to dust over time, the same that corrupts organic life, the same that makes people fear life as much as they fear death and will cling on in any way they can. The fear of the unknown drives people to commit atrocities; again racism, fear of our cultures and heritages becoming insignificant, the fear of being nobody, the fear of death itself and of things our nightmares teach us. Evil is just fear fermented until its potency causes people to lose all inhibition and responsibility. Especially when you are a man of power that has wilful instruments of destruction at hand...

Avatar image for necrotic_lycanthrope
Necrotic_Lycanthrope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 11

@dtm1980:

Sure, blame the Christians. Not like any other freaking group out there doesn't have ideas on good and evil. Heck, even atheists have done bad in the past *not all, but some*

Do you blame Christians for that too?

Necrotic_Lycanthrope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@TotalBalance:

Chances are, if it was still wildly recognized today (I believe it is, but the word is a no-no so it's been edited. Ex. designer babies), you wouldn't be alive to say your opinions on it.

Heck, I wouldn't even be alive to discuss it period. Italians where a favorite for target practice in the 40's.

spetsnaz_gru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By spetsnaz_gru

Duuuh! So we'll have epic good vs evil epic battles.

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Blood1991

And in comes the religion debate.

TotalBalance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By TotalBalance

@Necrotic_Lycanthrope: If I did not exist than I would not have to worry about it anyway. But given that I do exist eugenics and transhumanism seems to be the best way to advance the human species and make ourselves more efficient.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator
@TotalBalance said:

Shazam, right answer.
TheDude123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By TheDude123

I believe it is because the ecology of our world is based on killing and/or destroying things to garner nutrition, clothing, territory, etc. Add intelligence to that and presto: a lot of evil people. Intelligence also gives one a conscience I believe, which is why everyone is not evil. There are also brain abnormalities which are cause by genetics, chemicals, strong magnetic fields, etc which can make people act quite evil.

Necrotic_Lycanthrope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@TotalBalance:

You must be freaking joking. Eugenics kills evolution, leaving a species vulnerable to extinction. May sound laughable until you realize we are the last of our evolutionary line. We introduce legalized eugenics, the human species will reduce itself and weaken, and we will die out.

Plus it means for a master race to exist. There are dozens of races out there. You want all the other groups to be wiped out or never allowed to mingle ensure purity for a select group of genetic individuals?

TotalBalance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By TotalBalance

@Necrotic_Lycanthrope said:

@TotalBalance:

You must be freaking joking. Eugenics kills evolution, leaving a species vulnerable to extinction. May sound laughable until you realize we are the last of our evolutionary line. We introduce legalized eugenics, the human species will reduce itself and weaken, and we will die out.

Plus it means for a master race to exist. There are dozens of races out there. You want all the other groups to be wiped out or never allowed to mingle ensure purity for a select group of genetic individuals?

Eventually combining with machinery will allow humanity to continue its evolution in ways biology would never allow us. Those who are not intelligent enough or do not wish to progress can be left behind or ran over if they choose to try and get in the way. Eugenics is already a part of nature anyway and would not cause extinction. In nature only the strongest get mating rites and therefore ensure the continuation of desirable genes being passed through the species.

Necrotic_Lycanthrope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@TotalBalance:

Survival is not in any sort of way eugenics. The cheetah species suffers greatly from disease not because of breeding, but because all cheetahs today came from a survivor group of 12 individuals. They didn't choose to pick a mate, they where forced. Human genetics is forcing the perceived greater genes to only pass on while letting all others to die off and never spread genes.

Those counted inferior are wiped out immediately without ever even trying to prove themselves capable of passing on genetically.

As for cybernetics, the only way that would work is if you could breed machinery and if there where mecha mobile suits around to curbstop kaiju. Sadly, both have yet to be created.

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By MonsterStomp

There has to be an opposition of good to keep us sane. Like who smiles if someone dings your car?

thespideyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#49  Edited By thespideyguy

@ShadowSilver: Why is there no Satan? I think there is and it all started when adam ate the apple.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#50  Edited By SC  Moderator

I said this in the last evil thread.

True evil is a human construct created to help the human mind understand complex variables in a neater, simpler, easier way. Evil can also be considered concomitant to good. So as such the opposite of good, and so defined by how you define good. Since most things are relative there can be a sliding scale. So to me, since nothing can be absolutely knowledgeable, absolutely powerful, you can't have absolute evil or an evil at the end of a static scale, like true or false. I generally prefer terms such as malicious, selfish, ignorant, greedy. Much more accurate when describing actual things than evil which is kind of a diluted overextended lazy term.

So why does it exist? It exists because we have creatures that can distinguish between relative experiences and deem some of them good and some of them bad. At some point during the advent of communication, hominids with the capacity of greater more complex communication we able to invent words and give them meaning. Give concepts born of the mind names and labels. Evil exists as a description. Like I said in the modern day its diluted overextended lazy term, but its also a great concept and word as far as simplicity and ease of relaying to other people and fiction.

So no free will or balancing, although those are useful terms to aid a persons understanding of other concepts and filling in the gaps of the mind even if inaccurately. Both arisen for similar reasons as far as a persons capacity to identify the limits of the human mind and abstract elements relative to physical abilities. In comparison to our physical actions the mind really does seem unlimited but thats only because for thousands and thousands of years we have not known much about it (and we still have a long way to go) so even though we accept we don't have free will in a physical sense, it still feels nice to know at least intellectually and mentally we have it (when we are actually incredibly limited) because of the limits of the brain and external forces acting on us, influencing us in ways we can't consider and can't control.

Evil persists as a real value because it is such a simple and easy concept that is almost inherent to the human experience in some way or form. It can take a lot of consideration and valuing reason and objectivity over emotions and subjectivity to break down evil. Not only that there are great psychological and mental reasons to buy the concept of evil.