#1 Posted by BlackopsX21 (274 posts) - - Show Bio

#2 Posted by Extremis (3326 posts) - - Show Bio

Because he's Superman. When the average person thinks of most powerful superhero, guaranteed a huge majority of them think Superman before anyone else.

#3 Posted by dccomicsrule2011 (22877 posts) - - Show Bio

@extremis said:

Because he's Superman. When the average person thinks of most powerful superhero, guaranteed a huge majority of them think Superman before anyone else.

My thoughts exactly.

#4 Posted by fenixREVOLUTION (884 posts) - - Show Bio

He's basically promoted and sometimes written as that, so it's not a surprise.

#5 Posted by Extremis (3326 posts) - - Show Bio

Also, not that I'm insinuating Supes as being invulnerable by any means, but how is he not the most powerful when you consider his power set and everything he can do ya know?

#6 Posted by GodOfMischief (635 posts) - - Show Bio

There are plenty of powerful superheroes, but I think the main reason people think of Superman is because of how popular he is in other media. I don't think people who read comics consider him the strongest.

#7 Posted by joshmightbe (24463 posts) - - Show Bio

@extremis: There are actually many characters more powerful than Superman. Silver Surfer for instance is generally considered far more powerful, maybe not physically but in every other area.

#8 Posted by logy5000 (5635 posts) - - Show Bio

Most people that aren't knowledgeable on comics are unaware that there are characters capable of destroying galaxies and such. Most people just go from what they've seen in movies, and Superman is constantly mistaken to be invincible, (which he really isn't.)

#9 Posted by laflux (13721 posts) - - Show Bio

@logy5000 said:

Most people that aren't knowledgeable on comics are unaware that there are characters capable of destroying galaxies and such. Most people just go from what they've seen in movies, and Superman is constantly mistaken to be invincible, (which he really isn't.)

#10 Posted by Extremis (3326 posts) - - Show Bio
#11 Edited by joshmightbe (24463 posts) - - Show Bio

@extremis: I personally believe Martian Manhunter is more powerful than Superman. Physically he's almost a match for him and has basically all the same powers in addition to vast telepathic and shape-shifting abilities.

#12 Edited by guttridgeb (4831 posts) - - Show Bio

Because he's close to it and is often portrayed that way.

#13 Posted by SC (12508 posts) - - Show Bio

I remember a study where a certain country believed that evolution, intelligent design and creationism should all be taught at schools. There are studies where half of participants fail to see a freaking man in a gorilla suit playing basketball with a bunch of regular people. When your question starts off with why does everyone... well there are few things that everybody actually thinks collectively. As a basis for a question.. problematic. Also be weary of people who give certain unchanging traits to fictional characters. Like seriously, its not the stranger with the free candy you want to warn your children about its the people who take absolute stances on the in story narrative abilities of fictional characters that need bells around their necks.

#14 Edited by Fuchsia_Nightingale (10180 posts) - - Show Bio

Who cares ? :D

#15 Edited by Z3RO180 (6250 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe: Totally agree their are other heroes who are stronger but Superman is mostly considered to be the most powerful person on earth.

#16 Posted by deaditegonzo (3507 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, when it comes down to heroes who have had their own comic books, there really are few heroes more powerful then him. Of the most popular heroes, he stands alone at the tip-top. Also, he has 80 years of history, ranging from absurdly powerful to still consistently powerful, and jobbing on a much less regular basis than some of his biggest competition (Silver Surfer and Martian Manhunter, both of whom should be more powerful. And Captain Atom to a lesser extent). He is also very powerful and influential outside of comics, which few characters can make that claim, and then theres his portrayals in movies and cartoons. Not to mention, one has to consider what we mean when we say: "Most powerful hero," we arent talking about Galactus or Spectre or the Presence. We are referring to comic book leading men, generally amongst Earth bound heroes.

If a regular person asked me who the most powerful hero is, i'd answer Superman. If it was a comic book fan, we'd likely discuss the nuances and likely agree on someone like Silver Surfer.

#17 Edited by Shirzad (391 posts) - - Show Bio

Most of the characters who are physically stronger than Clark don't have his name recognition. So most people don't even know they exist.

#18 Edited by BlackopsX21 (274 posts) - - Show Bio

I just hate how they Potray him in the early years they thought he was the strongest given the name Superman

#19 Posted by King Saturn (223723 posts) - - Show Bio

Actually I think that Solar is the Most Powerful Superhero.

#20 Edited by Yung ANcient One (4596 posts) - - Show Bio

Because He's the 1st Comic Book Super Hero EVRR!

He kind of deserves to be.

( + )

#21 Posted by The Stegman (22751 posts) - - Show Bio

Without a doubt he is one of the most physical strong heroes, but there a tons more powerful than him.

#22 Posted by InnerSuperman (858 posts) - - Show Bio

because he has unlimited power

the universe in infinite so they are infinite yellow suns

you get the point.

#23 Posted by NorrinBoltagonPrime21 (5388 posts) - - Show Bio

Because majority of people don't read comics

#24 Posted by russellmania77 (14410 posts) - - Show Bio

because he isnt a super hero, he is the super hero, and also silver age superman

#25 Edited by Thief_of_Thieves (44 posts) - - Show Bio

because he isnt a super hero, he is the super hero, and also silver age superman

Exactly.

#26 Posted by Wolfrazer (5939 posts) - - Show Bio

If it makes you feel any better OP, I always thought Hercules to be stronger then Superman before well actually getting to know Superman. :D If that helps, cause I didn't think Superman to be the strongest before then.

#27 Edited by Auralaria (479 posts) - - Show Bio

He used to make up powers as he needed them, back in silver age, I think. Golden? It was old.

#28 Posted by Vaeternus (9372 posts) - - Show Bio

Because overall he is, not just physically(obviously there are others in DC and Marvel who surpass him) BUT he's obviously one of the most powerful heroes ever and popular, iconic and most recognizable by far...

#29 Posted by GunGunW (996 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think anyone thinks that anymore. All I hear is "Thor's a god so beats Superman! Endof story!"

#30 Posted by dboyrules2011 (11768 posts) - - Show Bio

@logy5000 said:

@extremis said:

#31 Posted by BigCimmerian (7845 posts) - - Show Bio

There are many superheroes stronger than him

DC - Black Adam, Flash, Martian Manhunter

Marvel - Beta Ray Bill, Thor, Silver Surfer, both Beta and Thor are more powerful than him, but they are slower.

#32 Edited by Jnr6Lil (7680 posts) - - Show Bio

He's beaten great enemies though: Lex Luthor, Darkseid, Metallo, Braniac, Doomsday, Bizarro, Zod, Mongul, Lobo, Grundy, Toyman

#33 Posted by Bogey (930 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman is strongest of them all. He'd make Hulk cry in a corner after seeing his true power.

#34 Posted by Nefarious (18363 posts) - - Show Bio

What do you mean "Every One"?

I'm not apart of everyone that thinks that Superman is the strongest hero.

#35 Posted by Nerx (15088 posts) - - Show Bio

Its the same magic as people thinking that Goku is the strongest in anime/manga, that is laughable

#36 Posted by DeathpooltheT1000 (9503 posts) - - Show Bio

Supermans is as powerfull as he needs to be.

That is why.

#37 Posted by Squalleon (4046 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman is the hero known through out the world

Supermans is as powerfull as he needs to be.

That is why.

#38 Posted by TifaLockhart (13977 posts) - - Show Bio

Not everyone does.

#39 Posted by PowerHerc (80707 posts) - - Show Bio

Because he is.

#40 Posted by VercingetorixTheGreat (2823 posts) - - Show Bio

The main reason is lack of knowledge of comics. Most people laugh at me when I tell them Flash could beat Superman.

When you think of superheroes most think of Superman (because he was the first) and people don't know any other characters.

#41 Posted by TifaLockhart (13977 posts) - - Show Bio

To add, Superman was portrayed as way powerful on TV and in movies. That was based on Pre-Crisis too. Other heroes, not so much (I'm looking at you, TV Hulk).

#42 Posted by HellionVulcan (3604 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think hes the strongest as theres universe threats that make him look weak as hell .

#43 Edited by pooty (10742 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel - Beta Ray Bill, Thor, Silver Surfer, both Beta and Thor are more powerful than him, but they are slower.

Those people may be more POWERFUL then Superman but none of them have proven to be STRONGER.

#44 Posted by BigCimmerian (7845 posts) - - Show Bio

@pooty said:

@bigcimmerian said:

Those people may be more POWERFUL then Superman but none of them have proven to be STRONGER.

Agreed, well maybe except Black Adam.

#45 Posted by PrinceAragorn1 (15901 posts) - - Show Bio

I remember a study where a certain country believed that evolution, intelligent design and creationism should all be taught at schools. There are studies where half of participants fail to see a freaking man in a gorilla suit playing basketball with a bunch of regular people. When your question starts off with why does everyone... well there are few things that everybody actually thinks collectively. As a basis for a question.. problematic. Also be weary of people who give certain unchanging traits to fictional characters. Like seriously, its not the stranger with the free candy you want to warn your children about its the people who take absolute stances on the in story narrative abilities of fictional characters that need bells around their necks.

^^^

count on this guy to say something interesting, seemingly off topic, yet not easy to deny..

#46 Posted by BlackopsX21 (274 posts) - - Show Bio

lOL U Talking Bout Me Because people Think the threads i make are like Its Stupid But Intresting To COmment On A THREad That others view but also Is Stupid lol Like i MADE NflVs Nba lol

#47 Posted by Vaeternus (9372 posts) - - Show Bio

@gungunw said:

I don't think anyone thinks that anymore. All I hear is "Thor's a god so beats Superman! Endof story!"

lol gotta love Thor fanboys, Supes is godlike in his own right if you think about it ;)