• 149 results
JonSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By JonSmith

I was raised Christian, but as I've gotten older and thought about it more and more, I've grown to disagree with the idea, such that I now identify as agnostic. That said, since identifying as agnostic, I prayed once in a moment of relative desperation, and got what I asked for. Whether that was coincidence or actual divine intervention, I don't know and I don't claim to know. I continue to identify as agnostic, but treat most mentions of gods (Big G or little g) of any religion with some degree of respect, just in case.

Unless of course they're being used as an excuse for confrontation of some sort, in which case all bets are off.

Also, being raised Christian has left me more than a little uncomfortable with not taking special care with mention of The Big Guy. Such that I prefer referring to Him as 'The Big Guy' to reduce said uncomfortableness. It's surprisingly effective.

Pokergeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#102  Edited By Pokergeist

@knightrise: I know durp :P

Sorry for the rant before I lost my cool and probably went a little overboard,all is well now.As for the question,I stop having faith because nothing seemed to go right in my life,I prayed and prayed and ask God why,but things never got better.After really re-thinkin,about life, and the Universe I came to the conclusion that a personel God is not logical (at least not to me) and he/she/it is not needed to live a good life.I still believe in a creator,but said creator does not intervine with the Universe.I respect everyones beleifs (my parents are christians and I think my brother is an athiest) just as long as you do not shove yours down ones throat.To make a long story short I lost all faith because of the way my life was,praying,paying the church 10 percent and all the rest of that stuff seemingly only made stuff worse,not better and that is why I lost faith.

See, we agree on the same page. Chruches are corrupt and evil. Not all of them, but alot are. Organize Religion is not needed for Faith in something.

laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#103  Edited By laflux

@sc said:

Faith and religion are quite different things, religion often incorporates faith as an integral part of its foundations, but that being said I for one welcome this thread and this discussion. Faith could potentially play a role in the mindset of the bus driver who takes your children to school, faith could play a role in the cook who grills your steak at a restaurant, it plays a part in some cancer patients last days before they die, it may play a part in someone you care about future hopes, and expectations. 400 threads on Superman and 4 threads on why Red Hulk doesn't have a mustache and this site can't even handle a simple discussion on potentially one of the most important things in our or people we know lives? Sure we can predict some posters may lose the ability to engage in sincere conversation, but I am totally sure cynicism doesn't help lead to a self fulfilling prophecy nyet? Perhaps we could just encourage people to not take things so personally and use this opportunity to demonstrate their ability to talk about a sensitive topic and there exists a flag button and moderators for any who really overstep their bounds and thats at one's discretion. Thats my personal take anyway, I find the question and replies so far extremely fascinating and would dislike preventing the options of other posters and people the ability to also express their opinion after me as well.

So faith eh? Well whilst certainly playing a strong element in many religions, it can also be applied out of religion. Occasionally someone will confuse me with the implication that I dislike religious people, it confuses me momentarily because I don't dislike religious people, I like everyone, but then I realize they probably misunderstood something I have said criticizing an aspect of religion or probably faith. I am highly critical of faith because its essentially the opposite of reason but it also opposes humble neutrality. Its at odds with skepticism. Why don't I have faith? Well mainly because I live in an age, and time, and situation which means I don't require it. A large part also has to do with me thinking reason, neutrality, critical thinking and skepticism are objectively superior to faith. Its possible for those ideas to coexist, so I am not saying they are absolutes to each other, but I am making the claim that in all the ways that matter, reason, critical thinking, neutrality and skepticism are superior to faith. Faith only really works well when you need faith, but ideally you wouldn't want anyone to be in a situation to need things.

So a lot of us have an understanding of what fight or flight response is right? Its not fight, or flight or stay neutral and ponder response, and if there would be a third option it would have to be die. Fight flight or die. Well evolutionary speaking there are other options, like freeze/choke and stay really... really still. Or putting your hands over your eyes, if you can't see them they can't see you right? Thousands and thousands of years ago, faith in your own decision making or just having strong convictions and beliefs were super awesome, and super helpful and super convenient when dealing with predators. Was that a lion in the grass or was it just a bird? No time to think, I should probably climb that tree with my spear. Even if your wrong your right, because much like the philosopher Ronald McDonald explains, safety first kids. I mean yeah might have just been a bird and now you look a bit silly sitting in a tree scared of a bird but if you contemplated that while you were on the ground inventing language and it was a lion then goodbye your chance to breed and rack one up for the lions eh? So faith and other types of behavior and principles that govern behavior, reactions and so on, its very important to note that they have evolutionary reasons and objective merit depending on circumstance. Its not an unfair or unreasonable modern day sentiment for people to wish and want an afterlife because if there is no afterlife then what is the point right? This is today, where we can buy as much bacon as we can afford at the local market, have internet, have TV, have pillows, have toilet paper, can look at sexy pictures of sexy people and things and comic book characters online, we can have dozens of different fruits, chocolates, cigars, sent from all parts of the world to our doorstep, we have instant access to like all popular music from the last 40 years, at least that much. In the last 15 years technology means that random people can upload and put a digital copy of music online for everyone to share. We have so many nice things that people 10 000 years ago can't even. People 10 000 years had structure and society that people 50 000 years ago can't even.

So when a person 20 000 years ago, spends all their time hunting for food to survive, looking for shelter to survive, and trying to find someone sexy enough to mate with and then try and survive looking for food and shelter with a child in tow? Walking barefoot everyday and constantly having to be ready for danger? Trying to survive snow and hail when you only have animal carcass's and ugg boots as protection? Your best friend got stabbed to death by a sabretooth? Suddenly having faith that something better is coming starts sound pretty freaking awesome to help keep spirits up. Can you imagine telling a person from any point in the past that (depending on what country they are in) they don't have to spend every day looking for food? Their children and family and friends will probably live healthy and well, well past 60? They would probably freak out and run into oncoming traffic at being so over simulated. So in that respect we should all appreciate faith, its why we are here. Then again we should not be taking cues on what and how reality is and works by people who lived 20 000 years ago. In modern day we actually have ample time to educate and teach young children how to think fairly, rationally, intelligently in ways that allow them to make quick decisions based on reason rather than faith. This is important to because faith is inherent to our species, as is gullibility, as is trust. We need to believe and trust and have faith when we are 2 years old, we won't survive like some 2 year old animals, we need parental figures and guardians to feed us, shelter us and all that. We also have significantly large brains that are ripe for learning and thinking and questioning and critical reflection. Except sometimes this means questioning and critiquing the status quo and as comic book fans who witness and participate rage wars against change/stagnancy in comics we all know how safe/comforting/annoying/horrible the status quo is right? Not all changes are good, not all changes are bad, and now if only there was some objective way to distinguish the good from the bad... faith? No not faith, you get angry, stubborn, emotional fanboys when believing what you believing is right because you believe it and are really insistent and consider your believing it, is enough to justify your belief. You want reason, reasons, accountability, demonstration, proof, facts, validity, accuracy. At least thats what you should want. Especially if you think about it. Its what we know, improves lives, society, ethics, friendships, relationships, even if only slowly but surely. Often rapidly depending on context

Usually people that don't think about it are engaging in a type of fight or flight type of reaction. When you see someone getting needlessly argumentative, bringing in personal attacks, accusations, when you see people asserting things without a willingness to actually establish why and how their claims are credible, valid, you see they are probably asking you to take their word on good faith, that there accusations and assertions are true just because they really really believe they are. By definition, its unreasonable, but when you account how humans often work and operate and have worked and the psychological and emotional reasons faith exists... well its not that unreasonable. ^_^

Awesome as always. I took the question as why don't you have a faith, as in religion, but if we are to look at "faith" in and of itself, then yeah, I agree.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have faith, but not to the point where I blindly follow everything. I mean there was a time when being a slaev was perfectly fine

“When a man strikes his slave, male or female, with a rod and the slave dies under his hand, he shall be punished. But if the slave survives a day or two, he is not to be punished; for the slave is his money.”

Okay fair enough

And don't get me started on mixing fabrics being a sin.

There was a time when racial marriage with a horrid sin, but now that's over and done with and it's gay marriage that is. IT's liek they keep changing the "outdated" rules when it suits their needs. And I am not being blasphemous or anything, but how much of these were tossed out the window simply because it conflicted with todays outlook.

It's just hard to look at the world see religion producing so much hate, when it's core purpose was to teach understanding and love.

Pfcoolio14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonsmith:

So you still believe at least a little if you ended up praying as a last resort right?

JonSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pfcoolio14 said:

So you still believe at least a little if you ended up praying as a last resort right?

Not really. More like old habits + moment of desperation = throw everything at the problem until said problem is fixed.

MarlboroMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Simplest reason for me to not have a faith is i have sense of logic.

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

Because I do, and it's no one's business but my own.

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didnt believe in God when I was born. I havent seen any evidence of a God since then. I still dont believe in a God.

It's really that simple.

Gwahlur_Rising

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Some people lose their faith because Heaven shows them too little. But how many people lose their faith because Heaven showed them too much?"

- Thomas Daggett, the Prophecy

Avatar image for thatguywithheadphones
thatguywithheadphones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Meh

Why Not

russellmania77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because I need it

_Grifter_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By _Grifter_

If someone had asked me this five years ago I would've told said person that I was a believer. But now...I just don't know.

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 10

I got faith, why not

and GEEZ PEOPLE it's a comic website, lets leave some things at the door. gosh !

But then how will we vent our pointless and sometimes bigoted views to people who don't really care? :(

kriminal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sheenlantern said:

I think the better question is; Why would I need one?

You dont. However I never understood why Atheist should not Rape, Kill, or Murder. I mean, why not? Your all just worm food like you never existed, so NO CONSEQUENCE!

Atheism makes no sense to me.

The funny part is same people who say they are Atheist ask for a priest when faced with death or beg to God like babies when shot.

So.....

i got a good reason. prison scares the shiz it out of me. you cant just lable every atheist. how many people dont go to church or say their prayers even though the believe in god. and in all honesty if god does magicly exist(which im beting my "soul" that he doesnt) i refuse to pray or worship such a monster. if hes so damn powerful why does he give a damn if you go to church or have faith? power hungry. why do kids have cancer. honestly why even create a creature capable of creating wars and harming each other.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#116  Edited By InnerVenom123

@cadencev2 said:

You dont. However I never understood why Atheist should not Rape, Kill, or Murder. I mean, why not? Your all just worm food like you never existed, so NO CONSEQUENCE!

COMICVINE USER CADENCEV2 HAS UNLOCKED THE SECRET OF LIFE!

IT'S TRUE! IT'S ABSOLUTELY TRUE! IT MUST BE!

OH, SCIENCE, YES!

I'M GONNA GO STEAL A GUN AND RAPE A PUPPY!

THANK YOU CADENCEV2!!!

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 10

#117  Edited By Strider1992

@cadencev2 said:

@sheenlantern said:

Atheism makes no sense to me.

The funny part is same people who say they are Atheist ask for a priest when faced with death or beg to God like babies when shot.

So.....

Cuz theres a difference between being an Atheist and a mass-murdering, rapist sociopath? Just because they are Atheist doesn't mean they codone things or want to participate in acts like that. Relgious people have relgion as the code to prevent them doing things like that (which is a good thing. I even admire that about most religions). Atheist's rely on morals and basic human decency.

Just because there's no relgious consquence doesn't mean they would do it. Heck i'd even go as far as to say prison (or execution in some countries) is more of a deterent than the possibility you may or may not go to hell depending on what you believe as animals including humans are biologically programed with self-preservation instinct.

Pokergeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cadencev2 said:

COMICVINE USER CADENCEV2 HAS UNLOCKED THE SECRET OF LIFE!

IT'S TRUE! IT'S ABSOLUTELY TRUE! IT MUST BE!

OH, SCIENCE, YES!

I'M GONNA GO STEAL A GUN AND RAPE A PUPPY!

THANK YOU CADENCEV2!!!

No Caption Provided

Your welcome =P

@laflux said:

@sc said:

Faith and religion are quite different things, religion often incorporates faith as an integral part of its foundations, but that being said I for one welcome this thread and this discussion. Faith could potentially play a role in the mindset of the bus driver who takes your children to school, faith could play a role in the cook who grills your steak at a restaurant, it plays a part in some cancer patients last days before they die, it may play a part in someone you care about future hopes, and expectations. 400 threads on Superman and 4 threads on why Red Hulk doesn't have a mustache and this site can't even handle a simple discussion on potentially one of the most important things in our or people we know lives? Sure we can predict some posters may lose the ability to engage in sincere conversation, but I am totally sure cynicism doesn't help lead to a self fulfilling prophecy nyet? Perhaps we could just encourage people to not take things so personally and use this opportunity to demonstrate their ability to talk about a sensitive topic and there exists a flag button and moderators for any who really overstep their bounds and thats at one's discretion. Thats my personal take anyway, I find the question and replies so far extremely fascinating and would dislike preventing the options of other posters and people the ability to also express their opinion after me as well.

So faith eh? Well whilst certainly playing a strong element in many religions, it can also be applied out of religion. Occasionally someone will confuse me with the implication that I dislike religious people, it confuses me momentarily because I don't dislike religious people, I like everyone, but then I realize they probably misunderstood something I have said criticizing an aspect of religion or probably faith. I am highly critical of faith because its essentially the opposite of reason but it also opposes humble neutrality. Its at odds with skepticism. Why don't I have faith? Well mainly because I live in an age, and time, and situation which means I don't require it. A large part also has to do with me thinking reason, neutrality, critical thinking and skepticism are objectively superior to faith. Its possible for those ideas to coexist, so I am not saying they are absolutes to each other, but I am making the claim that in all the ways that matter, reason, critical thinking, neutrality and skepticism are superior to faith. Faith only really works well when you need faith, but ideally you wouldn't want anyone to be in a situation to need things.

So a lot of us have an understanding of what fight or flight response is right? Its not fight, or flight or stay neutral and ponder response, and if there would be a third option it would have to be die. Fight flight or die. Well evolutionary speaking there are other options, like freeze/choke and stay really... really still. Or putting your hands over your eyes, if you can't see them they can't see you right? Thousands and thousands of years ago, faith in your own decision making or just having strong convictions and beliefs were super awesome, and super helpful and super convenient when dealing with predators. Was that a lion in the grass or was it just a bird? No time to think, I should probably climb that tree with my spear. Even if your wrong your right, because much like the philosopher Ronald McDonald explains, safety first kids. I mean yeah might have just been a bird and now you look a bit silly sitting in a tree scared of a bird but if you contemplated that while you were on the ground inventing language and it was a lion then goodbye your chance to breed and rack one up for the lions eh? So faith and other types of behavior and principles that govern behavior, reactions and so on, its very important to note that they have evolutionary reasons and objective merit depending on circumstance. Its not an unfair or unreasonable modern day sentiment for people to wish and want an afterlife because if there is no afterlife then what is the point right? This is today, where we can buy as much bacon as we can afford at the local market, have internet, have TV, have pillows, have toilet paper, can look at sexy pictures of sexy people and things and comic book characters online, we can have dozens of different fruits, chocolates, cigars, sent from all parts of the world to our doorstep, we have instant access to like all popular music from the last 40 years, at least that much. In the last 15 years technology means that random people can upload and put a digital copy of music online for everyone to share. We have so many nice things that people 10 000 years ago can't even. People 10 000 years had structure and society that people 50 000 years ago can't even.

So when a person 20 000 years ago, spends all their time hunting for food to survive, looking for shelter to survive, and trying to find someone sexy enough to mate with and then try and survive looking for food and shelter with a child in tow? Walking barefoot everyday and constantly having to be ready for danger? Trying to survive snow and hail when you only have animal carcass's and ugg boots as protection? Your best friend got stabbed to death by a sabretooth? Suddenly having faith that something better is coming starts sound pretty freaking awesome to help keep spirits up. Can you imagine telling a person from any point in the past that (depending on what country they are in) they don't have to spend every day looking for food? Their children and family and friends will probably live healthy and well, well past 60? They would probably freak out and run into oncoming traffic at being so over simulated. So in that respect we should all appreciate faith, its why we are here. Then again we should not be taking cues on what and how reality is and works by people who lived 20 000 years ago. In modern day we actually have ample time to educate and teach young children how to think fairly, rationally, intelligently in ways that allow them to make quick decisions based on reason rather than faith. This is important to because faith is inherent to our species, as is gullibility, as is trust. We need to believe and trust and have faith when we are 2 years old, we won't survive like some 2 year old animals, we need parental figures and guardians to feed us, shelter us and all that. We also have significantly large brains that are ripe for learning and thinking and questioning and critical reflection. Except sometimes this means questioning and critiquing the status quo and as comic book fans who witness and participate rage wars against change/stagnancy in comics we all know how safe/comforting/annoying/horrible the status quo is right? Not all changes are good, not all changes are bad, and now if only there was some objective way to distinguish the good from the bad... faith? No not faith, you get angry, stubborn, emotional fanboys when believing what you believing is right because you believe it and are really insistent and consider your believing it, is enough to justify your belief. You want reason, reasons, accountability, demonstration, proof, facts, validity, accuracy. At least thats what you should want. Especially if you think about it. Its what we know, improves lives, society, ethics, friendships, relationships, even if only slowly but surely. Often rapidly depending on context

Usually people that don't think about it are engaging in a type of fight or flight type of reaction. When you see someone getting needlessly argumentative, bringing in personal attacks, accusations, when you see people asserting things without a willingness to actually establish why and how their claims are credible, valid, you see they are probably asking you to take their word on good faith, that there accusations and assertions are true just because they really really believe they are. By definition, its unreasonable, but when you account how humans often work and operate and have worked and the psychological and emotional reasons faith exists... well its not that unreasonable. ^_^

Awesome as always. I took the question as why don't you have a faith, as in religion, but if we are to look at "faith" in and of itself, then yeah, I agree.

Very deep.

Cuz theres a difference between being an Atheist and a mass-murdering, rapist sociopath? Just because they are Atheist doesn't mean they codone things or want to participate in acts like that. Relgious people have relgion as the code to prevent them doing things like that (which is a good thing. I even admire that about most religions). Atheist's rely on morals and basic human decency.

Just because there's no relgious consquence doesn't mean they would do it. Heck i'd even go as far as to say prison (or execution in some countries) is more of a deterent than the possibility you may or may not go to hell depending on what you believe as animals including humans are biologically programed with self-preservation instinct.

Well Strider, its sort of fact of human nature that decency is no built into humanity. Look at any culture in the Midevil days or Bronze Age. Heck look at cultures in North Korea, Middle East, ect. As human we will do whatever the heck we want. If there was no law or man made punishments in America right now, we would seriously have a huge increase in Rape, Murder, and Stealing. Just a fact of life.

No Caption Provided

One of the reasons I like Walking Dead is how it plays on our Morals and Humanity of ****ing everyone else in order to survive or get what we want.

All these holier than thou people are full of **** and only fallow the law because of man made consequence or fear of a higher power punishing them.

@kriminal said:

i got a good reason. prison scares the shiz it out of me.

Case in point.

Maybe I have no faith in humanity as whole and a really debbie downer, but Atheist are idiots who throw a hissy fit when someone says there prayers in school. If they do not believe in anything, why should they care? Mostly becuase they are just looking for a excuse to ****ing whine.This goes for Christians and Muslims and Jews. All whining that another Religion is saying or doing something they find offensive. Its all Bull**** and everyone IMO needs to find their own personnel god or belief.

**** it all!

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

I have faith because I was raised in a family which has faith and believe in god and stuff like that.I'm not the best christian but I ain't an atheist.

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My opinion on atheism:

Have no problem with it, to each his own.

But the ones who go crusading against Christian, attacking them and trying to convince them that they should be atheist, usually suffer from an inferiority complex.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

I was brought up in a really religious household and I came to the conclusion that the whole idea of god was silly and unlikely. Religion also causes more bloodshed than anything else in the world by far, so I find the whole thing dangerous and to some degrees idiotic. That all being said I get why some people need religion and believe in it, but I don't actually care at all what other people want to believe in... and I don't care about anyone else's opinion on what I believe in is.

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teerack said:

I was brought up in a really religious household and I came to the conclusion that the whole idea of god was silly and unlikely. Religion also causes more bloodshed than anything else in the world by far, so I find the whole thing dangerous and to some degrees idiotic. That all being said I get why some people need religion and believe in it, but I don't actually care at all what other people want to believe in... and I don't care about anyone else's opinion on what I believe in is.

That isn't the religion's fault, that's the people.

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sheenlantern said:

Atheists dont commit crimes because they have a thing called morality. Look into it. As far as consequences, we also have these things called laws.

Religious people dont commit crimes because they think they're always being watched and will be punished eternally by some horrific supernatural entity if they do. They are forced to follow arbitrary rules... which only partially qualify as "good". That's no morality at all. Of the two, atheists and religious people, I'd rather be with atheists because I know that they are truly good and wont murder me at any given time if they suddenly stop believing in God. I also know that they wont do some other bizarre behavior because they think that some God wanted it.

And while we're speaking of raping, killing, murdering, and all that... should we talk about all the religious people and priests who regularly rape, kill, and murder? How convenient that you ignore that. Ignorance is bliss I suppose.

This is also often the case with ignorance. You might want to consider why a basic concept that any baby understands baffles you.

Uhmm, no, it's not often the case. More ignorance perhaps?

I love the "atheists ask for God when something bad happens" bullshit that religious people say to conform themselves that their nonsense is true.

And no doubt thousands of years ago someone was saying the same thing about people who didnt believe in Zeus. So, dont worry, you're in a long tradition of ignorant people not understanding things.

Pokergeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By Pokergeist

@cadencev2 said:

@sheenlantern said:

Atheists dont commit crimes because they have a thing called morality. Look into it. As far as consequences, we also have these things called laws.

Religious people dont commit crimes because they think they're always being watched and will be punished eternally by some horrific supernatural entity if they do. They are forced to follow arbitrary rules... which only partially qualify as "good". That's no morality at all. Of the two, atheists and religious people, I'd rather be with atheists because I know that they are truly good and wont murder me at any given time if they suddenly stop believing in God. I also know that they wont do some other bizarre behavior because they think that some God wanted it.

And while we're speaking of raping, killing, murdering, and all that... should we talk about all the religious people and priests who regularly rape, kill, and murder? How convenient that you ignore that. Ignorance is bliss I suppose.

This is also often the case with ignorance. You might want to consider why a basic concept that any baby understands baffles you.

Uhmm, no, it's not often the case. More ignorance perhaps?

I love the "atheists ask for God when something bad happens" bullshit that religious people say to conform themselves that their nonsense is true.

And no doubt thousands of years ago someone was saying the same thing about people who didnt believe in Zeus. So, dont worry, you're in a long tradition of ignorant people not understanding things.

Why have you, and everybody else who feels the need to correct me, never get past the first post of mine?

Theres so much more for you guys who hate people with any kind of religion to pick apart and frown on. I mean really, There is plenty more "Ignorant comments" to prove your superiority of OPINION!

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

@jnr6lil said:

@teerack said:

That isn't the religion's fault, that's the people.

That doesn't actually change or mean anything...

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Religion is a man made tool created from man's imagination and man's fear of the unknown. It is use to control and to explain the events science has yet to explain. Religion has brought communities together on ideals of unity, helping out the poor, and respect for one another, but it has also been use to commit some of the worse atrocities in human history.

weaponxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know what I believe. When younger, I sort of believed in God etc but that could be because of my family. Now, I question everything and really don't know. I have no idea how to explain the creation of the universe, but the same can be said for God; how was he created? It is a huge mental mess.

At this point, I believe in being good and kind. Those seem to be nice things and it makes others and myself feel good. So, I try to be kind to everyone and everything. I am vegan because of this also.

@holyserpent: I've thought the same things about how religions came into being; through purposes of fear, power, and control.

Avatar image for spideyivydaredevilfan26
SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 41

Because it gives me a reason to live and I always feel that God has really helped me out through some of the most difficult times of my life. I've always felt his presence around me and in my life and when you think about it, I find it unlikley that we were put on this earth for no reason at all. That we're just living to breathe air and we'll go out like a light bulb when we're done. Yes, I absolutely have faith, 102%

NicholasAgot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pfcoolio14: Faith is very powerful. Faith is like your sixth sense. It doesn't typically have to come from or to GOD. Faith is either extreme belief in yourself or if your a religious person, In GOD. People gain faith by being inspired or convicted. Although, people may lose faith by failing at something or if GOD didn't answer their prayers or something like that.

nefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#130  Edited By nefarious

I sometimes question my faith. I tend to lose faith.

TifaLockhart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

My Grandmother lived it, and I respected her the most.

_Braveheart_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I've been a christian all my life and my faith in God has always helped me in the most difficult times. My grandfather recently went through heart surgery and the doctors told us before the surgery that there was an 80% percent of no risks. Well, my family and I prayed while the surgery was taking place and in the end, the surgeon doctor told us that the surgery was successful. I'm very thankful to God that my grandfather is still with us and it's is one of the main reasons why I believe in God.

blkson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#133  Edited By blkson

Faith isn't limited to just religion. I have faith. Faith in myself.

mikethekiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LOL , this thread.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e
deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a few reasons why I don't have a faith:

1. I believe, that for some people, religion is a reassuring for some people. People that can't come to terms with the fact that one day, you will die, one day, you'll never see a family member again, one day you'll never be on earth to do the things you love again, look to religion, because it tells them that there is something after. I'm not one of those people. Death is a part of life. No matter what, everything dies, one way or another. It's as simple as that.
  2. The fact there are so many different religions, so many gods/deities, so many religions that take ideas from the other, ect. Every country probably has some form of religion. Every civilization has probably had a religion. The fact that there are so many, and so many different and unique religions leads me to believe two things: either there is only one correctreligion, or there is no correct religion. The first of those meaning that religion is true, and there is some kind of god or higher power that's made the world ect. Or, the no correct religion option, which is what I believe in, that there are plenty of religions explaining the way the world came to be, but none of them are right.
  3. I think religion, years ago, and still somewhat today, was created so we had an explanation for things we don't understand. An example of this is the ancient Greeks. They used the Olympian Gods as their explanation for why bad things happen, for where we go when we're dead, for natural disasters, for bad luck, for how some warriors were great. Their Gods were created to explain the unexplainable. Still today, people who don't believe in evolution will believe that God created humans, and that's how we came to be, simply because they have no other scientific explanation for how we got here. As time goes on, and we have a scientific explanation for more of the things we don't understand, religion will die out.
  4. I don't like the idea behind some religions. No offence to Christians here, but I hate the idea of Christianity. I hate that I'm going to "be judged" one day. I hate listening to those ignorant Christians, who actually think they know for definite how the world plays out, and that they are right and everyone else is wrong, talking about how "I will pray for you, one day you will be judges by the almighty creator." No. Sorry, but no. I'm not going to live by a book written by someone unknown to me, and I'm not going to follow the rules of a guy, who is apparently better than me to the extent I have to pray to him, who I haven't even met. Also, there are certain religions, while I admit I don't fully understand them, that cause trouble. Islamic extremists, namely. Hate this religion for similar reasons to Christianity, but especially because there are so many ignorant, hateful and violent members of that religion.
  5. Lastly, branching off of what was said in 4. Religion has and likely will always cause conflict. I don't care where it is, who it is, or when it is, there will be ignorant and hateful followers of any religion that cause conflict. Whether it be from boredom, poor raising as a child, or just outright being ignorant and filled with rage, there are those who settle their differences of religion with war and violence. I want nothing to do with it.

Having said all of that: there are good parts to religion too. Some of them give us good examples on how to live and how to treat each other. Unfortunately for me, I don't have the faith in me, and the negative outweighs the positive.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e
deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@_gi_joe_ said:

I've been a christian all my life and my faith in God has always helped me in the most difficult times. My grandfather recently went through heart surgery and the doctors told us before the surgery that there was an 80% percent of no risks. Well, my family and I prayed while the surgery was taking place and in the end, the surgeon doctor told us that the surgery was successful. I'm very thankful to God that my grandfather is still with us and it's is one of the main reasons why I believe in God.

Yeah, and thank god for those surgeons that saved your Grandfather! God really pulled through this time!

Think about where you direct your gratitude.

_Braveheart_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@_gi_joe_ said:

Yeah, and thank god for those surgeons that saved your Grandfather! God really pulled through this time!

Think about where you direct your gratitude.

Indeed I am very thankful to the surgeon doctors that were involved in the surgery and may God bless them for what they do. I thank them for saving my grandfather's life and I of course thank God that my grandfather is still alive.

biggkeem89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was raised Christian. I was devouted, even went to a Christian school, but now I'm agnostic/atheist. As I got more educated, I saw how flawed every religion is under the guidance of humanity. How the supernatural tenants just didn't make sense logically. I also won't support any kind of system that lowers or denounces its fellow man due to non-belief or not upholding its standards. And on a really personally level, the reason I don't have faith in just about anything is that my life has been an almost constant stream of bad events, even though I try to be the best person I can. The people I love or care about either always suffer, leave, or die, and I just can't believe in any supernatural being that would constantly torture or tear down any of its creations

JulieDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By JulieDC

Its the hypocrisy and the hatred espoused by so called believers that made me stop believing. I just couldn't reconcile what they were saying with what they were doing. I just can't believe in something that has so many hateful followers that constantly use the Bible or God to support their opinions. No one calls these people out even when their venom begins affecting policies that have tremendous impact on everyone. Don't get me wrong, I am not a fan of atheists and their need to battle Christians over every stupid little thing like the nativity scene or "In God We Trust" on dollar bills. As far as I am concerned, both are just the opposite side of the same coin.

FearNoEvil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like the way Stephen King puts it.

"If you say, 'Well, OK, I don't believe in God. There's no evidence of God,' then you're missing the stars in the sky and you're missing the sunrises and sunsets and you're missing the fact that the bees pollinate all these crops and keep us alive and the way that everything seems to work together,"

FableCounty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My parents raised me to believe. Has my faith weakened? Haha, you bet it has. But I still like to be a little faithful. It's always nice to believe in something (except if it's something like socialism, haha :P).

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

pipxeroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because

a) It makes sense to me

b) I like the whole spiritual side of life, it's very peaceful in a life otherwise filled with anxiety and depression

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#143  Edited By Outside_85

No, because I am the sort that needs evidence before I believe in something.

To me it's like crossing the road, faith is essentially where you close your eyes and cover your ears before venturing out in the 'faith' that there isn't something comming to hit you, while not having faith is looking both ways and waiting for the truck to pass before crossing.

Just_Banter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't believe in a higher power because there isn't evidence that there is one. I believe that the faith I would spend on a higher power would be wasted, as their are better, real, things to put my faith in.

Not that I have anything against religion or religious people. I think it's admirable that you can have that much faith in it to begin with.

MrHamWallet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"I wanna know your personal reason for expressing or not expressing a faith(Religion). How do you think it affects people? Positively Negatively etc."

I find it ridiculous, my beliefs are based on logic, reason, evidence and probability...which no religion has any of. There is far too much evidence to suggest that all our religions are man made, so having faith in any of them is foolish.

Religion can have a positive impact on people, but that doesn't mean it's right or even necessary. Mostly religions have negative effects.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a2b0053414c5
deactivated-5a2b0053414c5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only reason I've ever gone to church is when I was younger and my family made me. I honestly couldn't care less about it anymore.

Avatar image for deactivated-5da8e253e9df8
deactivated-5da8e253e9df8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Im a believer in Jesus. Bible prophecy has proven to be the most accurate fortune telling method ever created.

SuperDarth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have faith because of all the paranormal shit that's happened in my life.

Avatar image for theinsufferable
TheInsufferable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By TheInsufferable

In most of its forms, religious faith is just circular reasoning. It's believing in something because you believe in it.