SheenLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By SheenLantern

@cadencev2:

"This is true as well. Atheist is a religion in itself. They belive in nothing. Which in itself is a conundrum."

No, they don't, a Theist is someone who believes in a god, or deity, an Atheist is someone who doesn't.

Hence; Atheist.

But that's all it applies to, just gods and deities, nothing else.

Christ, did you even go to school?

Avatar image for mistressoftheelements
MistressOfTheElements

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

OPRESSION AT IT'S BEST!

Pokergeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How many Atheists do you know that got religious on their deathbed? that's just a stereotype religious people use.

Also if someone does "find god" isn't it a good thing? Isn't that the point of spreading the word of god and the door to door religious salesmen?

And what does that say about certain religious people if the only reason why you don't kill and rape is because you might go to hell? that's it? that's the only reason why you don't do it? I would be scared to be in a church if I knew everyone around me was a psychopath just wanting to kill and rape everyone.

2 actually. One had cancer and the other was a old relative.

It is a good thing I guess, still seems like they jump the bandwagon out of fear, Atheist do not seem to have the Conviction when push comes to shove after the tried ealeir to talk trash about your own faith.

Who all religious people were nice and good LOL what a idiotic Atheist view right there. Just like we have good and bad Atheist we have good and bad Religious nutjobs.

@laflux said:

@sheenlantern said:

@cadencev2: I'm convinced, CadenceV2 is actually an Athiest who is satirising religious nutjobs as a joke.

There's no way anyone like that could possibly be real, I mean, could you believe the sheer ignorance?

Not sure, me and him go way back on the battle forums, and he's always been down to earth there. Sarcasm ain't really his thing :P

Then I fear for the safety of us all, knowing someone like that is free to roam the streets.

I also have 5 guns and lots of alcohol. I also love Marylin Manson and play Doom. Guess I will shoot up a school.

I mean why not, right?

Also I get this way as I see Atheist and Strict Religious nuts as both equal idiots.

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What Faith I Do Have Comes From Two Things...

1. Tradition

2. Fear of Old Habits

Being Religious for the Better Part of My Life has caused some things not to go away so easily... some ideas and concepts are just stuck in my head regardless of how abstract they are to reality.

SheenLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cadencev2: You said it yourself; the only thing stopping you from raping and murdering is the fear of hell.

While I've managed just fine not even considering such actions while under the assumption that my life ends the second all brain activity ceases, I guess that makes me a functionally better person than you.

Tacos_Kickass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also Atheism is not a religion, for some of those who may think it is.

Tacos_Kickass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tacos_kickass said:

How many Atheists do you know that got religious on their deathbed? that's just a stereotype religious people use.

Also if someone does "find god" isn't it a good thing? Isn't that the point of spreading the word of god and the door to door religious salesmen?

And what does that say about certain religious people if the only reason why you don't kill and rape is because you might go to hell? that's it? that's the only reason why you don't do it? I would be scared to be in a church if I knew everyone around me was a psychopath just wanting to kill and rape everyone.

2 actually. One had cancer and the other was a old relative.

It is a good thing I guess, still seems like they jump the bandwagon out of fear, Atheist do not seem to have the Conviction when push comes to shove after the tried ealeir to talk trash about your own faith.

Who all religious people were nice and good LOL what a idiotic Atheist view right there. Just like we have good and bad Atheist we have good and bad Religious nutjobs.

I only repeated what you said about how you would go on killing sprees if it wasn't for religion and that's the only reason why you don't. You aren't the first Ive heard say the same. I also never said ALL of anybody was good or bad. I am fully aware that both sides have good people and bad.

Also don't try to lump me in with "Idiotic Atheists" when I'm just repeating what you've said. I really don't care what religion anyone is, I'm just not a fan of people spewing hate.

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By lykopis

Seriously, this cadence person is not well. I suggest you all ignore him.

Again, this should be in the Religion thread. I understand the sincerity in wanting a real discussion but it's not going to happen here.

Avatar image for mrdecepticonleader
mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@lykopis said:

Again, this should be in the Religion thread. I understand the sincerity in wanting a real discussion but it's not going to happen here.

It could have but it only takes one bad egg to ruin an omelet.

Straight-Fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@lykopis said:

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MistressOfTheElements

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lykopis: Do you think there should be gender roles?

laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#63  Edited By laflux

@cadencev2: The problem with the 10 commandments is that they contradict the bible and have no context

Thou shall not Murder- God authorizes Holy Bans, in which whole civilizations are wiped out by the Israelites. In fact God Stripped King Saul of his Kingship because he failed to exercise a Holy Ban on the people of Amlek. What about the murder of every firstborn in Egypt, some of which were completely innocent, the plagues of Egypt. The Murder of 3000 people for worshiping a cow. The flood. Sodom and Gomorrah. Are you telling me there were not kids in that place, who were not having anal sex with other people. Like that's really a crime that deserves for people to be wiped off the face of the earth for.........

Thou shall not Steal- So a starving kid, who is dying of malnutrition steals from the table is dammed now?

Thou shall not Covet- That's pretty much the whole point of the Israelites taking the promised land

Thou shall not commit Adultery- God didn't seem to have a problem with David's three named wives and at least ten concubine's. And before people talk about Bathsheba, God was only mad with David because he killed Uriah the Hittite to get her. God even said he would have given her to him if he had only asked.

Obey the Lord your God- This means you should obey commandments in the Bible, as its his word. This includes rules on what you can eat (no rabbit, rare steak, sheep etc), no mixed fabric, circumcision. Okay these are all quite trivial, and some of them are debunked by Jesus in the new testament. But what about damnation to those who happen to be a different sexuality than what God wants. I haven't seen a good reason to say why God cares so much about what or who you sleep with.

What about Paul clearly saying that Women or Men shouldn't deprive one another of their sexual needs. Do you see how a man could use that as a justification to rape his wife......

I'm probably missing a ton of points here, just thought I would lay down a few on my mind.

Myrmidon_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Myrmidon_
lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lykopis: Do you think there should be gender roles?

Not sure what you mean. If you mean in religions where they separate them in terms of leaders and roles within the church/synagogue/mosque - then no. It's a good question though -- you should visit the Religion thread and throw it out there.

Pfcoolio14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Pfcoolio14

@mrdecepticonleader: @dboyrules2011: @lykopis:

I don't think I could get as good of an answer if I just threw under the religion thread. It's a specific question that requires a specific answer from people. Religion is a complicated thing. And I didn't want to know about the religion, I want to know peoples personal reasons for following or not following.

laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lykopis: You side stepped my question D:. And you know me Pyro and you can't be on the same thread. Sh!t always goes down.......hard.

mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrdecepticonleader: @dboyrules2011: @lykopis:

I don't think I could get as good of an answer if I just threw under the religion thread. It's a specific question that requires a specific answer from people. Religion is a complicated thing. And I didn't want to know about the religion, I want to know peoples personal reasons for following or not following.

Hmm I can see that I suppose.

Well I gave answers in my initial post for my reasoning,in a nutshell anyway :)

MistressOfTheElements

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel like this thread is going to be a hit..

laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@awesam said:

@pfcoolio14: This is why I avoid religion and politics.

I see now 0_0

You know what, I'm going to call @theacidskull

And no, not to start a flame war, but because if I remember correctly, he's an orthodox christian. You see its my M.Night I ruined every movie big twist :P

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@laflux:

My answer is pretty boring. I grew up, gained knowledge, applied critical thought and as a matter of course, knew there was no supernatural being who created the universe. No dramatic realization, just a "hmm -- okay then." The term atheist is applied to me only because I suppose people want to differentiate me from people who believe/might believe, etc. I am just me. I don't live in absence of religion - I just live. Know what I mean?

I was raised Roman Catholic.

@pfcoolio14: Fair enough but when hot topics are brought up, this kind of extreme response is to be expected. I understood your intent though. You've just entered into a site where it feels like this horse has been flayed enough.

PartialSanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By PartialSanity

I don't like branding myself, but I don't believe in any deity, which would make me an atheist I suppose. I don't have faith in a "higher power" because it never made sense to me. I had a catholic upbringing however, I went to a catholic private school from pre-kinder up until I graduated from high school. At first I went along with it, that changed at around 7th grade? Maybe 8th. They made us study most religions and theology in general, so I'm not unfamiliar with the beliefs.

A lot of atheists I come across disgust me however. Believing or not believing in a deity does not make anyone any cooler, and I see a lot of atheists acting like they're all that simply because they don't believe in a deity. They often resort to insulting believers, trying to deter them from believing, and things akin to this, which is just silly.

The way I see things is that... life is miraculous, but not in a religious sense. I see it all as a string of probabilities, which all led to this very moment. Over 13 billion years ago there was an explosion, how it happened I don't know, but it doesn't matter to me, it happened. And since then so many conditions had to be met for me to be alive. Planets forming around our star, the Sun. All the events that occurred for this planet to become habitable for our form of life. For life to actually emerge. Sadly dinosaurs had to die, as awesome as they were, but we would've stood no chance. For the remaining survivors to thrive. For apes to evolve first and not other species. All the history that happened with humans, the exact people surviving that were necessary for me to exist, and this is skipping over many other incredible things that happened. This however causes a lot of friction with what I see in the world, most people don't seem to see how special and rare everyone actually is, at least from my point of view.

I don't need an explanation for my existence though, I am alive and my time is limited, so as long as I live I will work to achieve what my life means to me.

I don't have a faith exactly, but I always do hope the vast probabilities of the universe are kind to me and to others. I accept the good things and the bad without trying to attribute any form of mystical properties to either. I find all that way more fascinating than, "a creator did it."

Pokergeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Pokergeist

What Faith I Do Have Comes From Two Things...

1. Tradition

2. Fear of Old Habits

Being Religious for the Better Part of My Life has caused some things not to go away so easily... some ideas and concepts are just stuck in my head regardless of how abstract they are to reality.

That was.... pretty accurate.

Also Atheism is not a religion, for some of those who may think it is.

No duh, it can easily be seen as one, in fact, many do.

@cadencev2: You said it yourself; the only thing stopping you from raping and murdering is the fear of hell.

While I've managed just fine not even considering such actions while under the assumption that my life ends the second all brain activity ceases, I guess that makes me a functionally better person than you.

Then that makes you a Saint. Can I kiss your rumpus and smear it on my face for some of that Good Grace to rub off on me :)

I only repeated what you said about how you would go on killing sprees if it wasn't for religion and that's the only reason why you don't. You aren't the first Ive heard say the same. I also never said ALL of anybody was good or bad. I am fully aware that both sides have good people and bad.

Also don't try to lump me in with "Idiotic Atheists" when I'm just repeating what you've said. I really don't care what religion anyone is, I'm just not a fan of people spewing hate.

Hell yeah, I love to kill many people, it would be far easier than living with some. Casey Anthony and OJ can get away with it, im sure I can if I play my cards right.

@lykopis said:

Loading Video...
@laflux said:

@cadencev2: The problem with the 10 commandments is that they contradict the bible and have no context

Thou shall not Murder- God authorizes Holy Bans, in which whole civilizations are wiped out by the Israelites. In fact God Stripped King Saul of his Kingship because he failed to exercise a Holy Ban on the people of Amlek. What about the murder of every firstborn in Egypt, some of which were completely innocent, the plagues of Egypt. The Murder of 3000 people for worshiping a cow. The flood. Sodom and Gomorrah. Are you telling me there were not kids in that place, who were not having anal sex with other people. Like that's really a crime that deserves for people to be wiped off the face of the earth for.........

Thou shall not Steal- So a starving kid, who is dying of malnutrition steals from the table is dammed now?

Thou shall not Covet- That's pretty much the whole point of the Israelites taking the promised land

Thou shall not commit Adultery- God didn't seem to have a problem with David's three named wives and at least ten concubine's. And before people talk about Bathsheba, God was only made with David because he killed Uriah the Hittite to get her. God even said he would have given her to him if he had only asked.

Obey the Lord your God- This means you should obey commandment in the Bible, as its his word. This includes rules on what you can eat (no rabbit, rare steak, sheep etc), no mixed fabric, circumcision. Okay these are all quite trivial, and some of them are debunked by Jesus in the new testament.

But what about damnation to those who happen to be a different sexuality than what God wants. I haven't seen a good reason to say why God cares so much about what or who you sleep with.

What about Paul clearly saying that Women or Men shouldn't deprive one another of their sexual needs. Do you see how a man could use that as a justification to rape his wife......

I'm probably missing a tonne of point here, just thought I would lay down a few on my mind.

F**K the BIBLE! It is made by various Churches from the Roman days and pice together by one Saint during the Midevil days. Religion is a Faith, a Beliefs, with basic similar concepts with others. THERE IS NO RIGHT RELIGION! F**k it all :)

Also you forget that their is like 20+ different forms of Christianity alone and they differ in beliefs on what is allowed and not. F**K THE CHURCHES! They are so full of S**t!

Believe in a Higher Power, Believe in Nothing, Believe in the f**king Spaghetti Monster. I follow the basic things that most churches have in common from Jews to Christians. I believe in worshiping God with Baptism and forgiveness of Sins as a comfortable form of worship and do Thank God for the small miracles in my life.

I hate Atheist as I know too many from the Service and in Game Rooms who bash ya if ya believe in anything at all. i hate Religious Bible Thumpers for their Ignorance that they have it right.

On my Dog Tags it read Christian, not Southern Baptism, not Catholic, not Lutheran, just Christian. I believe in a higher power. I believe Science is Gods works understood. Why does Science have to kill God rather than bring us closer to him? I believe God does not help or do for us what we can for ourselves. People cry all the time "Well if there was God, why does he not cure every sick person...." Why would he? He gave us the understanding of Medicine and how to keep from getting sick. "Why doesn't God have money fall from the sky?" Why not you get a F**king job! "Why does God kill those we love?" Who says he kills them? I do not believe that, we are dying the day we are born, we run on borrow time to enjoy this world as best we can. I believe Catholic Church made all these fairy tales of Adam and Eve to keep dumb people under control, however we are at the age in tech and science to comprehend the truths as well not rely on Gods grace to get by in life.

Some Atheist try to push there is no god on me my whole time in the military because there was no God to hold there hands and give them everything they wanted in this cold cruel life.

Thus I hate both sides and have my own Religion of Candenceism. My Religion allows for Orgies, Killing people who deserve to be shot in the head, and free cookies with hugs. Sign up now and you can thrice bless by a real Preacher of the Cloth for your forgiveness of sins for being human.

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I miss ye ol' church of the booty... :(

Xeno_Seeker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Xeno_Seeker

i personally believe that it's something i don't need to focus on at the moment. there are much greater things going on in my life that require my attention. i only look at religion as an idea because that's all it is. there is no physical proof of a higher power. i am open to any and all ideas. and i respect anybody elses opinion on the matter as long as they respect mine as well. i'm just living life based on my own morals. not morals that were preconceived by somebody i'll never even know for a higher power that may or may not exist.

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LOL!

Samimista

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

@lykopis said:

@ssejllenrad said:

LOL!

I still think of Bootyism. The thread may be locked but it lives in my heart. =D

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lykopis said:

@ssejllenrad said:

LOL!

I still think of Bootyism. The thread may be locked but it lives in my heart. =D

This right here is religious persecution... We allow atheist, theist, deist, agnostic, pantheist threads... But a thread venerating the sanctity of the cosmic booty is banned... Boooooooo!!!!!!

laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By laflux

@lykopis said:

@ssejllenrad said:

LOL!

I remember when @joygirl posted in that thread, and made the made the Deadpool vs Dat A$$, I thought to myself "now that is a classy girl".

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By lykopis

@laflux said:

@samimista said:

@lykopis said:

@ssejllenrad said:

LOL!

I remember when @joygirl posted in that thread, and made the made the Deadpool vs Dat A$$, I thought to myself "now that is a classy girl".

Still though -- what a mesmerizing GIF. I left it on my desktop for a while and just...stared.

Avatar image for fuchsia_nightingale
Fuchsia_Nightingale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

Samimista

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

Avatar image for fuchsia_nightingale
Fuchsia_Nightingale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

blackadamFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

My parents raised me to believe. Has my faith weakened? Haha, you bet it has. But I still like to be a little faithful. It's always nice to believe in something (except if it's something like socialism, haha :P).

Vortex13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@pfcoolio14: The reason I do not practice any religious faith is because I am a very skeptical person in general. I'm also one of those people that would need concrete proof before I believe in a being or beings that run the way the universe works. I have never had a problem with people who do have faith most of my friends do. My belief is that you can believe in whatever you want as long as you don't use those beliefs to discriminate others, spread hate, or force your beliefs onto people who do not wish to hear them. That goes for all people, regardless of belief structure.

laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By laflux

@lykopis: I'm always wary of A$$es like that. You never know who has them.

No Caption Provided

Vortex13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@laflux said:

No Caption Provided

LMMFAO!

Myrmidon_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@laflux said:

No Caption Provided

For God sake xD

mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vortex13 said:

@laflux said:

No Caption Provided

LMMFAO!

Ha ha that was kind of my reaction too :P

laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@anthony_stark: See I didn't even mean to derail the thread that time D:

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By lykopis
Myrmidon_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By Myrmidon_

@laflux said:

@lykopis said:

@laflux:

Why do I even....

o-o

I'm away for RPGing one day. And you start staring at asses.

laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By laflux

@anthony_stark said:

@laflux said:

@lykopis said:

@laflux:

Why do I even....

o-o

I'm away for RPGing one day. And you start staring at asses.

I've always been staring at A$$es. Its just, you see that one and your like that one can be something more, your waifu like. Its literally got a N!gga sprung like. That A$$ was that one, and to be let down like that, was in a word, heartbreaking......

Plays sad music

Loading Video...

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 the_stegman  Moderator

I'm Deist. Basically I believe:

1. God Exists, or at least some divine creator. The fact that the universe was created, sculpted and formed the way it is, the fact that every single organism on the planet has a purpose is just too perfect to be a coincidence.

2. Although God exists, he does NOT interfere with our day to day lives, nor is he responsible for "good" or "evil" man creates

3. Since morality is subjective and can't be measured as fact, there can be no way to deem someone as a saint or sinner, thus, Hell does not exist.

4. The soul does exist however, and it is immortal, when we die, we do go to an afterlife that is "Heaven"

Kal'smahboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I won't get sucked into this, I won't get sucked into this, I won't get sucked into this.

KnightRise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dccomicsrule2011 said:

Ummm....Because it's wrong?

Also what determines it is wrong? In the Midevil days when Rome left Europe to defend for itself, everyone was stealing, killing, and raping for the hell of it. None had any order till the Church stepped in.

Society determines what is wrong and right correct? There were many societies in the past that said raping and killing is A OK as long they are infediles, lesser men, slaves.

This is a fact. It is 9 out of 10 times Faith that steps in and determines moral compasses in a faithless area. The only reason it is wrong to ya is because you were taught it was by your lack of belief.

That means we all are murdering, raping, torturing heathens with no natural moral compass. Thank you non believers for proving this time and again over 4000 years of civilization.

Now I need to find a Russian slave girl for kicks.

No Caption Provided

Flying Spaghetti Monster.

Dude, you're lame.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#98 SC  Moderator

Faith and religion are quite different things, religion often incorporates faith as an integral part of its foundations, but that being said I for one welcome this thread and this discussion. Faith could potentially play a role in the mindset of the bus driver who takes your children to school, faith could play a role in the cook who grills your steak at a restaurant, it plays a part in some cancer patients last days before they die, it may play a part in someone you care about future hopes, and expectations. 400 threads on Superman and 4 threads on why Red Hulk doesn't have a mustache and this site can't even handle a simple discussion on potentially one of the most important things in our or people we know lives? Sure we can predict some posters may lose the ability to engage in sincere conversation, but I am totally sure cynicism doesn't help lead to a self fulfilling prophecy nyet? Perhaps we could just encourage people to not take things so personally and use this opportunity to demonstrate their ability to talk about a sensitive topic and there exists a flag button and moderators for any who really overstep their bounds and thats at one's discretion. Thats my personal take anyway, I find the question and replies so far extremely fascinating and would dislike preventing the options of other posters and people the ability to also express their opinion after me as well.

So faith eh? Well whilst certainly playing a strong element in many religions, it can also be applied out of religion. Occasionally someone will confuse me with the implication that I dislike religious people, it confuses me momentarily because I don't dislike religious people, I like everyone, but then I realize they probably misunderstood something I have said criticizing an aspect of religion or probably faith. I am highly critical of faith because its essentially the opposite of reason but it also opposes humble neutrality. Its at odds with skepticism. Why don't I have faith? Well mainly because I live in an age, and time, and situation which means I don't require it. A large part also has to do with me thinking reason, neutrality, critical thinking and skepticism are objectively superior to faith. Its possible for those ideas to coexist, so I am not saying they are absolutes to each other, but I am making the claim that in all the ways that matter, reason, critical thinking, neutrality and skepticism are superior to faith. Faith only really works well when you need faith, but ideally you wouldn't want anyone to be in a situation to need things.

So a lot of us have an understanding of what fight or flight response is right? Its not fight, or flight or stay neutral and ponder response, and if there would be a third option it would have to be die. Fight flight or die. Well evolutionary speaking there are other options, like freeze/choke and stay really... really still. Or putting your hands over your eyes, if you can't see them they can't see you right? Thousands and thousands of years ago, faith in your own decision making or just having strong convictions and beliefs were super awesome, and super helpful and super convenient when dealing with predators. Was that a lion in the grass or was it just a bird? No time to think, I should probably climb that tree with my spear. Even if your wrong your right, because much like the philosopher Ronald McDonald explains, safety first kids. I mean yeah might have just been a bird and now you look a bit silly sitting in a tree scared of a bird but if you contemplated that while you were on the ground inventing language and it was a lion then goodbye your chance to breed and rack one up for the lions eh? So faith and other types of behavior and principles that govern behavior, reactions and so on, its very important to note that they have evolutionary reasons and objective merit depending on circumstance. Its not an unfair or unreasonable modern day sentiment for people to wish and want an afterlife because if there is no afterlife then what is the point right? This is today, where we can buy as much bacon as we can afford at the local market, have internet, have TV, have pillows, have toilet paper, can look at sexy pictures of sexy people and things and comic book characters online, we can have dozens of different fruits, chocolates, cigars, sent from all parts of the world to our doorstep, we have instant access to like all popular music from the last 40 years, at least that much. In the last 15 years technology means that random people can upload and put a digital copy of music online for everyone to share. We have so many nice things that people 10 000 years ago can't even. People 10 000 years had structure and society that people 50 000 years ago can't even.

So when a person 20 000 years ago, spends all their time hunting for food to survive, looking for shelter to survive, and trying to find someone sexy enough to mate with and then try and survive looking for food and shelter with a child in tow? Walking barefoot everyday and constantly having to be ready for danger? Trying to survive snow and hail when you only have animal carcass's and ugg boots as protection? Your best friend got stabbed to death by a sabretooth? Suddenly having faith that something better is coming starts sound pretty freaking awesome to help keep spirits up. Can you imagine telling a person from any point in the past that (depending on what country they are in) they don't have to spend every day looking for food? Their children and family and friends will probably live healthy and well, well past 60? They would probably freak out and run into oncoming traffic at being so over simulated. So in that respect we should all appreciate faith, its why we are here. Then again we should not be taking cues on what and how reality is and works by people who lived 20 000 years ago. In modern day we actually have ample time to educate and teach young children how to think fairly, rationally, intelligently in ways that allow them to make quick decisions based on reason rather than faith. This is important to because faith is inherent to our species, as is gullibility, as is trust. We need to believe and trust and have faith when we are 2 years old, we won't survive like some 2 year old animals, we need parental figures and guardians to feed us, shelter us and all that. We also have significantly large brains that are ripe for learning and thinking and questioning and critical reflection. Except sometimes this means questioning and critiquing the status quo and as comic book fans who witness and participate rage wars against change/stagnancy in comics we all know how safe/comforting/annoying/horrible the status quo is right? Not all changes are good, not all changes are bad, and now if only there was some objective way to distinguish the good from the bad... faith? No not faith, you get angry, stubborn, emotional fanboys when believing what you believing is right because you believe it and are really insistent and consider your believing it, is enough to justify your belief. You want reason, reasons, accountability, demonstration, proof, facts, validity, accuracy. At least thats what you should want. Especially if you think about it. Its what we know, improves lives, society, ethics, friendships, relationships, even if only slowly but surely. Often rapidly depending on context

Usually people that don't think about it are engaging in a type of fight or flight type of reaction. When you see someone getting needlessly argumentative, bringing in personal attacks, accusations, when you see people asserting things without a willingness to actually establish why and how their claims are credible, valid, you see they are probably asking you to take their word on good faith, that there accusations and assertions are true just because they really really believe they are. By definition, its unreasonable, but when you account how humans often work and operate and have worked and the psychological and emotional reasons faith exists... well its not that unreasonable. ^_^

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

OH JOY, another religion thread!

Loading Video...

Pharoh_Atem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Sorry for the rant before I lost my cool and probably went a little overboard,all is well now.As for the question,I stop having faith because nothing seemed to go right in my life,I prayed and prayed and ask God why,but things never got better.After really re-thinkin,about life, and the Universe I came to the conclusion that a personel God is not logical (at least not to me) and he/she/it is not needed to live a good life.I still believe in a creator,but said creator does not intervine with the Universe.I respect everyones beleifs (my parents are christians and I think my brother is an athiest) just as long as you do not shove yours down ones throat.To make a long story short I lost all faith because of the way my life was,praying,paying the church 10 percent and all the rest of that stuff seemingly only made stuff worse,not better and that is why I lost faith.