Why Do Some People Hate Anime?

• 109 results
Etheral_Dreams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Just out of curiosity. I've noticed a few comic vine users HATE anime and manga. Not just comic vine users, some comic fans in general. For example, I was at my local comic shop buying a few Superman/Wonder Woman comics, and I also happened to be wearing a shirt with DBZ characters on it. Some guy stopped me and said "You know, it's weird that you're wearing that Japanese sh!t yet you're here buying comics. Why don't you go back to your tentacles?" I was stunned for a moment, before laughing it off and leaving the store with my comics. What's with the hate? I don't see why you can't like both.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

The best explanation I can think of is ignorance.

Avatar image for thatguywithheadphones
thatguywithheadphones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's just too awesome for certain beings.

Avatar image for beaconofstrength
BeaconofStrength

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Because all anime is trash. It's a fact.

Avatar image for completely_subjective_guy
Completely_Subjective_Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For the same reason that people who prefer anime don't like comics. Its completely subjective. But that's just my opinion.

Avatar image for deactivated-579ecfa921bb2
deactivated-579ecfa921bb2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I just don't enjoy, but I'm not a jerk to people who like it.

Etheral_Dreams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For the same reason that people who prefer anime don't like comics. Its completely subjective. But that's just my opinion.

lmao.

You obviously never seen Berserk, Code Geass, or Akira.

Mandarinestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Mandarinestro

Freedom of thought.

Universal Declaration of Human Rights

ARTICLE 18

Everyone has the right to freedom of thought, conscience and religion; this right includes freedom to change his religion or belief, and freedom, either alone or in community with others and in public or private, to manifest his religion or belief in teaching, practice, worship and observance.

Etheral_Dreams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just don't enjoy, but I'm not a jerk to people who like it.

I used to not like it at all, but a friend of mine showed me a good one, and I started watching more. Although, I'm still picky about the ones I watch.

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

All of my comic reading friends also watch anime. I don't, but that's not to say I hate it.

Avatar image for completely_subjective_guy
Completely_Subjective_Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also assuming you live in America you should expect things to fit the American criteria. Americans are more comfortable with things that originate in America. Most Americans think about hot dogs, comics, cartoons, etc. [Or at least in regards to simpler things.] They don't however, think about rice balls, manga's, animes, etc.

What I'm basically saying is that some people are just really set off by different things that aren't normal for them. That's why when you show an American a manga where a guy is summoning giant frogs, guys shouting out things like, "Rasenga", eating rice balls, etc. they might show distaste.

But that's just my opinion.

Avatar image for thatguywithheadphones
thatguywithheadphones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Bluejay4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Who wouldn't like anime? Spiky hair, screaming, large boobs, and pre teen protagonists, etc...

mysticmedivh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Goku >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Superman.

Come at me.

JulieDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By JulieDC

I had a brief period in my life where I liked it. But I don't care for it these days. Its not out of ignorance or anything. Its just not my cup of tea. However, I also don't feel the need to belittle others for their choice. If you like it, enjoy it. If you don't, find what you would like and enjoy it.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By JakeN7

I'd be remiss if I didn't tag the leader of the CV Anti-Anime Coalition @saren

I absolutely love the fact that you can't do anime, but you can totally do Metal Gear. That's such nonsense that Kojima himself would be proud.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 10

I love it. I'm about to watch Akira for the first time, now.

PotatoBaron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7 said:

@beaconofstrength said:

I absolutely love the fact that you can't do anime, but you can totally do Metal Gear. That's such nonsense that Kojima himself would be proud.

Nano-machines, Son!

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc said:

I love it. I'm about to watch Akira for the first time, now.

It's an amazing visual experience. The manga is far better story-wise.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By JakeN7

@jaken7 said:

@beaconofstrength said:

Nano-machines, Son!

No Caption Provided

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#24  Edited By SOG7dc

@farkam: I have to agree. I'm just about 5 minutes in and the animation is the best I've ever seen.

Avatar image for comicsrulebutdbzdoes2
ComicsrulebutDBZdoes2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Same reason you get some DC fans that hate marvel and vice versa

Avatar image for symbioticspider-man
SymbioticSpider-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Because it's a different culture and style than what they like.

Is it really bad to have a preference to something else?

BeaconofStrength

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By BeaconofStrength

@jaken7 said:

I'd be remiss if I didn't tag the leader of the CV Anti-Anime Coalition

@beaconofstrength said:

He would definitely be proud.

In reality I'm alright with some anime. I just find a large majority of it to be bad. Don't tell anyone; it'll ruin my integrity.

Avatar image for deactivated-5da1bf32237f0
deactivated-5da1bf32237f0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Anime isn't for everyone. I personally don't enjoy it, but strangely enough, I enjoy JRPGs. There's no need to be rude to someone who enjoys something you don't. That kind of behavior is immature and obnoxious.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

My college roommate had a lot going for him --- he was a good looking guy, a National Merit finalist, a teammate on our soccer team, and an outgoing, social person. His interests were as varied and multifaceted as he was. He could play the violin while he discussed Proust, and argue about the merits of the French New Wave with anyone who was interested. His tastes were truly patrician.

And then one day I got back to our room and found him watching Naruto.

"What the hell are you doing?" I yelled, reaching out to slam his laptop shut. He jerked it away and said, "Saren, what's your problem?"

"Anime is cancer," I warned him. "Better men than you have crumbled."

"What does that even mean? You sound like a crazy person."

"Anime is cancer," I repeated, "Stop watching this crap before it's too late."

"It's just one show," he said, "You should give it a chance, it's not that bad."

But it wasn't just one show. Naruto led to Gurren Lagann, and then to Flame of Recca and Detective School Q and Code Geass and YuYu Hakusho and god knows what else. It was like he was speaking a new language. All he ever wanted to talk about now was anime; he called everything "kawaii" and addressed everyone as "senpai" and "onii-chan". I'm pretty sure at one point he was stalking this Asian chick and only stopped after she pointed out that she was Korean and threatened to go to the administrative board.

Anime became his entire life. He was kicked out of the soccer team because he was too busy arguing about Miyazaki vs Azuma online to show up for practice. He didn't return his friends' phone calls, and eventually they stopped returning his. He started hanging out with the local anime club and kept trying to add us to their mailing list. His attendance was spotty, and when he did show up he usually spent the hour asleep in the back. One professor, originally from France, took offense and shook him awake, and so he yelled "Baka gaijin!" at her. That nearly got him expelled.

After his GPA had dipped so low that he'd lost his financial aid grants and the university was sending e-mails about "remaining in good standing" and "unacceptable attendance pattern", you'd think he might have come to his senses. But the hooks were in too deep. He missed an entire set of semester exams even after we pleaded with him to stop streaming anime, but he refused to listen. Not even after I found him at his lowest, sprawled naked on the bathroom floor, covered in his own filth and weeping about how he'd seen Ai Enma in his dreams.

Two weeks later, I came back from classes and found our dorm room locked from the inside. I banged on the door, but there was no response, and all the lights were off. I alerted the warden and we broke down the door --- and that was when we found him hanging by the ceiling fan, slowly rotating around the room. He'd taken his own life. On his table lay his laptop, and an episode of Kill La Kill still played in the backdrop.

If you or anyone you know watches anime, seek help immediately. It might not be too late.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

Wait, I'm confused.

Tell me again why you didn't and still aren't going back to your tentacles?

Don't do this. OP can be saved, he hasn't gone too far yet.

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#31  Edited By mickey-mouse
Avatar image for redbird3rdboywonder
redbird3rdboywonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

because people are dumba***, I wish I would have been in the Op's shoes cause I'd have knocked his teeth down his throat

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By JakeN7

@saren said:

My college roommate had a lot going for him --- he was a good looking guy, a National Merit finalist, a teammate on our soccer team, and an outgoing, social person. His interests were as varied and multifaceted as he was. He could play the violin while he discussed Proust, and argue about the merits of the French New Wave with anyone who was interested. His tastes were truly patrician.

And then one day I got back to our room and found him watching Naruto.

"What the hell are you doing?" I yelled, reaching out to slam his laptop shut. He jerked it away and said, "Saren, what's your problem?"

"Anime is cancer," I warned him. "Better men than you have crumbled."

"What does that even mean? You sound like a crazy person."

"Anime is cancer," I repeated, "Stop watching this crap before it's too late."

"It's just one show," he said, "You should give it a chance, it's not that bad."

But it wasn't just one show. Naruto led to Gurren Lagann, and then to Flame of Recca and Detective School Q and Code Geass and YuYu Hakusho and god knows what else. It was like he was speaking a new language. All he ever wanted to talk about now was anime; he called everything "kawaii" and addressed everyone as "senpai" and "onii-chan". I'm pretty sure at one point he was stalking this Asian chick and only stopped after she pointed out that she was Korean and threatened to go to the administrative board.

Anime became his entire life. He was kicked out of the soccer team because he was too busy arguing about Miyazaki vs Azuma online to show up for practice. He didn't return his friends' phone calls, and eventually they stopped returning his. He started hanging out with the local anime club and kept trying to add us to their mailing list. His attendance was spotty, and when he did show up he usually spent the hour asleep in the back. One professor, originally from France, took offense and shook him awake, and so he yelled "Baka gaijin!" at her. That nearly got him expelled.

After his GPA had dipped so low that he'd lost his financial aid grants and the university was sending e-mails about "remaining in good standing" and "unacceptable attendance pattern", you'd think he might have come to his senses. But the hooks were in too deep. He missed an entire set of semester exams even after we pleaded with him to stop streaming anime, but he refused to listen. Not even after I found him at his lowest, sprawled naked on the bathroom floor, covered in his own filth and weeping about how he'd seen Ai Enma in his dreams.

Two weeks later, I came back from classes and found our dorm room locked from the inside. I banged on the door, but there was no response, and all the lights were off. I alerted the warden and we broke down the door --- and that was when we found him hanging by the ceiling fan, slowly rotating around the room. He'd taken his own life. On his table lay his laptop, and an episode of Kill La Kill still played in the backdrop.

If you or anyone you know watches anime, seek help immediately. It might not be too late.

No Caption Provided

I'm thinking of making a short documentary about this post. What do you think of this title:

"Never Have I Felt so Validated Than the Night I Tagged Saren in an Anime Thread: The JakeN7 Story."

deadcool_XD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

See, the thing is I like anime, AOT, Blue Exorcist, used to like DB, but I don't talk about t on cv. Why? Because the website is for comics and it pisses a lot of people off when others talk about anime on here. When you talk about anime on a comic website, it's like if I got to an anime store and ask the guy at the front for a superman comic. It's annoying.

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I'mma leave this here:

Loading Video...

Joewell911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I used to hate anime.

Then I watched some anime..

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's just weird for a lot of people. Some Anime is hard to wrap your head around and get into.

Especially when you question some things that make little sense. Other times it's a bit to cerebral.

Thing is, some anime is easy to get into. Dragonball and DBZ for example. Code Geass...not so easy to get into. Very convoluted storyline. Bored me to tears. Today's fan probably wouldn't be able to get into it though. These days most stories have to be pretty convoluted and make you question your morals and your entire life philosophy, from what I gather.

Cream_God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not enough tentacles

josephgomes619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By josephgomes619

Only ignorant Americans hate anime. Anime and manga rule digital media all over the world except for US

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#40  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

Either they haven't given it a chance, or it's simply just not their type of thing. People are allowed to have personal opinions and tastes, you know.

Marshall_Long

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Marshall_Long

I love Anime, but I hate Anime fans, some can be bitter and elitist.

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for life_without_progress
life_without_progress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't discriminate between the two.

Marshall_Long

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Marshall_Long

@lukehero: Well this thread about Anime so...

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Goku >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Superman.

Come at me.

BeaconofStrength

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By BeaconofStrength

@comicstooge: I'm glad you also share the intense hatred of weeaboos.

BlackLegRaph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

those_eyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i like both.

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Come at me.

Loading Video...

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@marshall_long: I hate Anime fans , some can be bitter and elitist.

I just hope you treat standard comicbook fans with the same. Cause they are just as bad if not worse. Honestly most of the anime fans I know in real life, just want you to watch or read what they do so they can have someone to talk to about it. Most American Anime fans, that only love Anime and Manga and nothing else: no American comics, Star Trek, Sports, Etc. They are usually very lonely and isolated people. I actually see them as sympathetic figures, not snobs.