#401 Posted by Cable_Extreme (9599 posts) - - Show Bio

@hylian said:

@cable_extreme: I think that it is okay for people to prefer one country over another. that is just part of their culture. but i don't like it when people take it overboard and think that their country is the best ever and they should be in control of everything and everyone should bow down to them and do whatever they say because they think that their country is better then everyone else's.

When has someone said "bow down to me" in this thread? Or where have they said American's are better than everyone else?

#402 Posted by hylian (2249 posts) - - Show Bio

@cable_extreme: okay i am exaggerating my point but it does annoy me that some people are just ignorant to the rest of the world and don't respect the way they live.

#403 Posted by Cable_Extreme (9599 posts) - - Show Bio

@hylian said:

@cable_extreme: okay i am exaggerating my point but it does annoy me that some people are just ignorant to the rest of the world and don't respect the way they live.

So is that why people hate america? Kind of hypocritical lol.

#404 Posted by hylian (2249 posts) - - Show Bio

@cable_extreme: no there are other reasons that i really don't feel like getting into right now but i just felt like making a point about ignorance.

#405 Posted by Cable_Extreme (9599 posts) - - Show Bio

@hylian said:

@cable_extreme: no there are other reasons that i really don't feel like getting into right now but i just felt like making a point about ignorance.

But that wouldn't be respecting the way Americans live, so your previous quote is self disproving. Also, how do you determine people to be ignorant? What is your measure?

#406 Edited by Erik (33329 posts) - - Show Bio

H8erz gunna h8.

#407 Edited by hylian (2249 posts) - - Show Bio

@cable_extreme: I just don't know anymore....... XD. by the way if you haven't realized i am american. I just want everyone to respect each other and that's it.

#408 Posted by Brynhyld (594 posts) - - Show Bio

Hating any country is just plan ignorant. Hate the people who live there, not the land itself. ;)

I am American. But honestly anyone who cannot understand why some other countries may have anger towards us... Your just not being honest with yourself. Well... Either that or you may have lived a very sheltered and privileged life. I hate certain things about my own country, and I hate certain things about other peoples countries too. And there are things that I am very grateful for being an American.

There is also a healthy amount of shame involved in our countries history. However our country is a very young and ignorant country in a lot of ways, and has always had a lot of going for it. We were born a rich country teeming with natural resources.

All of the other countries that sit there and point their fingers at the US and say we are war mongers, like they have never been as well. How quickly we all forget history eh? No one on this 3rd rock from the sun is without dirty laundry. Everyone has screwed everyone over and over again if you just look back far enough, its a part of human nature. We keep living and hopefully learning from our past.

The Irish and the Scottish hate the English. The English hate the French. The Swiss hate Americans. Everyone is Europe is cool with Canada for some reason. I have traveled a lot of places and have found beauty everywhere I have been. That said... Quebec Canada!

Europe doesn't know how Quebec hates everyone and everything that is not Quebec. They are french Canadians... Except they hate the french and they hate other Canadians. The only way you can ever walk around in Quebec without feeling like the scum of the earth is by being one of them. At least based on my experience of visiting the city. The place was beautiful. The food was amazing. The people were terrifying and smug... The most vain people I have ever met. Made New York look like a friendly place.

#409 Edited by JeanRalphio (1842 posts) - - Show Bio

@hylian said:

@jeanralphio: the economy is not exactly in great condition right not. and if Obama is such a great president then why is his approval ratings so low right now? he is shoving stuff down our throats that we don't even want.

I said the economy is growing, obviously an economy isn't something that gets better over night and it's sure a hell of a lot better than when the republican left office after 2 dreadful terms. And where did I ever say "Obama is such a great president"? Nowhere. You just needed to be informed before you spoke out of your ass. If you vote republican may a god help you.

#410 Edited by hylian (2249 posts) - - Show Bio

@hylian said:

@jeanralphio: the economy is not exactly in great condition right not. and if Obama is such a great president then why is his approval ratings so low right now? he is shoving stuff down our throats that we don't even want.

I said the economy is growing, obviously an economy isn't something that gets better over night and it's sure a hell of a lot better than when the republican left office after 2 dreadful terms. And where did I ever say "Obama is such a great president"? Nowhere. You just needed to be informed before you spoke out of your ass. If you vote republican may a god help you.

yes i agree that Obama is a better president then Bush but he still isn't perfect. He certainly is trying to fix the economy but i don't see is getting a lot better anytime soon. But Democrats are about more government involved in anything. Government is a good thing but too much can be a bad thing

#411 Posted by Hit_Monkey (918 posts) - - Show Bio

@thetruthiii:

@hit_monkey said:

@thetruthiii: @thetruthiii: Do I live in Afghanistan? No. No I do not. I live somewhere far, far colder.

@thetruthiii said:

@hit_monkey said:

The public school system is disgusting. It's run by stupid, litigiously paranoid, lunatics.

They don't have/oppose national health care.They just let people die instead.

They have all sorts of problems with guns. Yet most of think that the only answer to it is even more guns.

The Christian far-right in general is putrid sewer of humanity.

It's place that birthed and protected The Westboro Baptist Church but black people still can't get about their day to day without harassment by the police force.

The nations police force is a gang of unbelievably corrupt, idiotic, gun toting maniacs.

Just to add to that. look up 'civil forfeiture' in the US.

Finally, all this and far, far more is widely published across the planet. So we all get to read about what a horrible place it is. Every damn day. Yet muricans rant on about how they live in the greatest country in the world every damn day.

If you don't mind me asking; do you live in Afghanistan? Because most everything you said doesn't apply to 95% of America.

Sees someone criticize America. Immediately assumes they are from the country that flew a airliner into the World Trade Centre. You sir, have just proved my point entirely...

I don't care if people criticize America. I just care if people lie about America. Judging by how you spelled "centre", you're probably from Britain or another European country, right? So what if I said all Europeans did nothing productive, liked to waste their pathetic lives drinking tea and spent 5 hours a day taking lunch breaks? And when you call me out on it, I simply told you to can the patriotic trash and face the truth? Well, that's exactly how you're handling it right now. So until you find concrete evidence that all US policemen are always drunk and easily bribed, don't act like you know better.

I really wouldn't care if you said that. You know why? It's caricatured nonsense that belongs in a cartoon. They are also far less harsh criticisms than I meted out. Also, mine are factual. Yours are just silly.

You: Europeans like to waste their pathetic lives drinking tea
Me: Americans have historically let sick children die because the country is too cheap and morally backward to give them health care.

You: Europeans spend 5 hours a day taking lunch breaks
Me: It's part of American culture for bullied, marginalised, neglected teens to get access to firearms and kill as many people as they can at their respective schools. Then promptly blow their brains out.

See, big difference.

Those things I said though. They are true and you know it. I have read/watched them (at nausea) from almost exclusively North American media sources. Finally, so I'm not being coy. I'm from Scotland. Make fun and point out as many social ills as you like. I'm nowhere near as thin skinned as you seem to be and judging from your responses. I'm expecting (if anything) kilt jokes and digs about nationalised alcoholism.

You're points are trite and ill-conceived and you seem in far too much of rush to find and insult where I'm from. In lieu of giving a constructive argument on why I am wrong. Other than just simply stating so and laying on some tired jokes about the UK and assuming they apply to europe in general (they don't). Way not too look totally ignorant of other countries.

#412 Posted by Erik (33329 posts) - - Show Bio

Bump.

#413 Posted by Edamame (28280 posts) - - Show Bio

That's because we keep interfering in foreign affairs. This country has its own problems to attend to. Hopefully, these problems will eventually be eliminated.

lol

#414 Edited by laflux (16770 posts) - - Show Bio

@erik said:

Bump.

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE ERIK!

#415 Edited by Wolverine08 (43531 posts) - - Show Bio

#416 Edited by laflux (16770 posts) - - Show Bio
#417 Edited by Eisenfauste (8352 posts) - - Show Bio

Because americans walk around with shirts like these lol.

#418 Edited by Stormdriven (5160 posts) - - Show Bio

#419 Posted by ThatGuyWithHeadPhones (11475 posts) - - Show Bio

Cuz we's awesome.

#420 Edited by Ms-Lola (3176 posts) - - Show Bio

If I had to say something, it would be there is arrogance but nothing I would claim as overbearing.

(edited to remove personal info)