Why do people like Netflix Daredevil so much?

• 81 results
pipxeroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Specifically as far as the fights go. I'm sure the characters and the plot is great and all, but people say the Hallway Fight is the best fight ever put to tv or film, to which I highly disagree.

To me the fight just looks slow, clumsy, the fight choreography looks poor, hell I don't even like the music (but that one is pure preference). I get that it was all shot in one take, but couldn't they have at least hired a better, more agile stunt double or something?

I get the show might be better than something like Arrow, but I am really the only person who thinks it is overhyped? I mean the fight scenes aren't terrible, I'd still go as far to say they're better than the fights from the Nolan Bat Trilogy, but I don't see how this fight scene would be preferable to something like the Winter Soldier Highway Fight.

So please if anyone here is a big fan of this show, and this fight in particular, explain to me what you find so appealing about it?

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

The point is that it looks like a real fight

takashichea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By takashichea

Have never read the Marvel comics for Daredevil. Only seen the movie. This was relatively a new show for it. I enjoyed it. I grew attached to the characters. Though, I feel they killed off characters too early whom had potential. Since season 1 only focused on one major villain, I felt it was bit confined. When season 1 end, I felt the whole series already had a conclusion in itself.

Can't really say anything about Arrow, Flash, Gotham, Smallville, or any shows since I haven't watched them. I was always more of animated comic book fan.

RoboShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Most fights on film are so predictable. The hallway fight from season 1 was refreshing to see cause punches are missed, the actors are winded. It was the first time I saw something like that and thought not only is it believable, it fits that world.

black_wreath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 109

#5  Edited By black_wreath

I thought it was good but overhyped.

Stormdriven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't see it anywhere near the best fight ever, but it was certainly great, as was the overall choreography of the show. It was supposed to feel more grounded and gritty, showing an extremely tough and skilled yet novice vigilante fight through the physical and mental defeat from a previous fight to win out in the end. The show is meant to be more realistic, yet still portray someone who clearly is above any real life fighter, which I think is shown very well.

Neon_Leon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pipxeroth: best fight ever depicted? Nah. Really great fight? Heck yes. That's my two cents.

DBVSE7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because I was realistic.. duh :P.

Comickidd77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Smh of all the things to hate on? "Sigh"

CitizenSentry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dbvse7 said:

Because I was realistic.. duh :P.

@pipxeroth: best fight ever depicted? Nah. Really great fight? Heck yes. That's my two cents.

These.

Avatar image for the_new_avenger
The_New_Avenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It looks like a fight and not some overly choreographed POS.

pipxeroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Smh of all the things to hate on? "Sigh"

I'm not hating on it I just genuinely don't see why people call this the best fight ever

Flumox56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They where going for more realism.

Its a very good fight scene, But I would not claim its the best fight scene ever.

Avatar image for deactivated-57af58bda2d61
deactivated-57af58bda2d61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It got better after epi six

Avatar image for deactivated-5faef67d08995
deactivated-5faef67d08995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

It's pretty much a ripoff of the hallway fight from Old Boy which was must better. I liked Kingpin in it, I pretty much just skip anything going on with Foggy and Receptionist are on there.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By dernman

@jonny_anonymous said:

The point is that it looks like a real fight

This. At first I thought it was horrible until I thought about it and appreciated it for what it was. I we views have been spoiled by these fictional choreographed fights that we are use to.

BatWatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

User Lists: 1

I don't really understand the Daredevil hype myself. People were talking about it in glowing terms, yet I found myself bored through most of it; it took me four months to watch the series. Though I think it's well done in most ways, it's the slow as molasses pacing that really kills it for me. There is usually only one action scene per episode and way too many scenes where characters discuss things the audience already knows.

However, I did like the fights. I enjoyed them because you could actually follow the action, and this stands in stark contrast to the modern habit of shaky cam and quick cuts. Also, the fights seemed to have weight to them. In Arrow and Flash, everything feels highly choreographed, and it's cool, but obviously stylized. When someone gets hit in Daredevil, you feel it. It shows the blood and the weight of the action, yet people don't usually crumble after a single blow. Often, DD has to ware an opponent down.

Avatar image for deactivated-579e79a09210d
deactivated-579e79a09210d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

It showed that heroes aren't perfect. DD spent more time on the ground than I've ever seen him spend. Also, the Wilson Fisk portrayal was flawless in my opinion. The show was realistic and made DD feel more human than other heroes like the Avengers.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ThanosPimphand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Show isn't better than arrow

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

@hyiena said:

It's pretty much a ripoff of the hallway fight from Old Boy which was must better. I liked Kingpin in it, I pretty much just skip anything going on with Foggy and Receptionist are on there.

You cant ripoff anything when you actively confirm it as an inspiration....

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 rogueshadow  Moderator
Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just watched it for Karen Page.

Avatar image for deactivated-579e79a09210d
deactivated-579e79a09210d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was easily the most well written and well acted superhero show out there while still maintaining the feel of the character from the comics. The fights were just a small slice of the awesome pie that was Daredevil, if Jessica Jones (or any of the Netflix shows) comes anywhere near it in terms of quality I'll be happy. In my opinion anyways.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5faef67d08995
deactivated-5faef67d08995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for the_impersonator
The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

#28  Edited By The Impersonator

The fight may have been slow, but it felt necessary. This was his early days of fighting crime before becoming a full-fledged superhero. The fight shows that Matt was still struggling to fight a number of bad guys around him, even when he's blind. Thus, it was an intense fight.

I also don't think it was clumsy. Maybe, you're thinking that Matt was sorta clumsy to fight, since he showed signs of his weariness. But that fight scene was top-notch and it looked certainly real. I can't get enough of that fight scene. It was THE BEST.

And the music? It felt eerie and necessary because Matt had to fight all those guys in order to save the kid. The music shows tension all over it. It was good.

Yes, this show is way more darker than Arrow. That's what make it unique and a better show.

legacy6364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Netflix's Daredevil managed to capture the essence and authenticity of such a unique character.

VoloErgoMalus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was easily the most well written and well acted superhero show out there while still maintaining the feel of the character from the comics. The fights were just a small slice of the awesome pie that was Daredevil, if Jessica Jones (or any of the Netflix shows) comes anywhere near it in terms of quality I'll be happy. In my opinion anyways.

Agreed.

Avatar image for yourneighborhoodcomicgeek
YourNeighborhoodComicGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 15

@hyiena said:

@jonny_anonymous: Ok not a ripoff then but still inferior.

It was a homage. And so what if it's not as good? It's still great.

TheAudraWay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I suppose if you're going for "realism" in a comic book series (a silly but valid target to shoot for,) then it's probably something you enjoy.

Personally, I don't care for that style, and so it bums me out that it looks like a trend they shoot for in a lot of comic series.

The fact Matt was popping up every four seconds to hit a Superman punch and then sucking more wind than Kirby was a bit funny, (despite probably not meaning to be,) but it's a minor thing, and even as a person who isn't a fan of what they were going for, can appreciate what they did do here for the crowd that it was aiming for.

I'm a little different. I watch a comic book series, I think it should feel less realistic in the same way a comic book would be, which is probably why I enjoyed The Flash more than I've enjoyed most other comic series.

Gigantonigro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Daredevil isn't just about a superhero, it's about Matts struggle to help people, that you don't need superpowers to be a superhero, life throws shit at him, his dad dies, doing the right thing for his blind son, kind of adopted by an old man, who just trained him to have a warrior to fight for him, leaving him behind, because he needed a father and still is doing everything to help people, as a lawyer and as a vigilante, risking his life every single night.

The thing daredevil really has on Arrow or the Flash, are the non existent filler Episodes. Often in Arrow only the last 3 minutes were important to the overall plot, with a villain of the week being fodderized. Daredevil takes as much time as it needs and doesn't drag on.

Acting is on point and fight choreography is almost realistic. The fodder can take just too much punishment. As an example in the famous hallway fight, with his last kick, every normal human would've been knocked out, with the uppercut also.

Avatar image for deactivated-627010180bd2d
deactivated-627010180bd2d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They were paying homage to this scene:

Loading Video...

Rouflex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Because i havent seen it...

Pilasy:La Voix d'un homme

ParagonNate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ParagonNate
No Caption Provided

TheSpoiler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because it was great.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Hmm, I actually have to admit I didn't really like that at all

Then again I'm not really a live action type of guy in the first place

Avatar image for thatguywithheadphones
thatguywithheadphones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Same reason John Wick was so beloved, people are tired of watching some one man terminator plow through an entire army with little resistance. I love seeing a guy struggle to earn a victory and Daredevil really delivered on that.

Rick_and_morty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's wack

Avatar image for joey_destroyer_of_worlds
Joey_Destroyer_of_Worlds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Best? No.

Most realistic? Yes, and in that way it does make it one of the best.

deathstroke52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not even the best comic book show.

But I still really like it.

nefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#45  Edited By nefarious

It is refreshing.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 the_stegman  Moderator

It's not the best fight ever, but the realism of it is refreshing. A lot of shows are overly choreographed like AOS or Arrow. No one does fancy flips in a fight, that scene was just Matt punching mofos.

RoboShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree that the Fisk portrayal is pretty good too. It's a hard character to live up to for the fans. And they did good.

Avatar image for deactivated-57dd84d2af8d3
deactivated-57dd84d2af8d3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Of course the fight scene was slow and clumsy, that was intentional. It was a beat up and worn out Matt fighting six or so criminals with whatever energy he had left. You can not like the scene, that's clearly your opinion, but to say the choreography is bad is just plain wrong.

Any show that's great or is considered great can be easily overhyped, it happens, but in this case, at least for me personally, Daredevil lives up to the hype. It's not only a great adaptation, that much is clear, it's also great television. It's easily ahead the other comic book shows by a wide margin.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

I loved the battle as well, I found it to be something fresh and new in terms of where TV show and movie battle tend to go. But(there is almost always a but) I did find the show itself to be highly disappointing. I watched a few months back and at that stage almost everyone had watched it already and was hyping it to the maximum but it disappointed me. It had the characters right(except for Kingpin) but it was in such a slow and incredibly painful pace that I barely stayed interested half the time.

laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pipxeroth: I compared that to something like Jason Bourne vs Desh from the Bourne Ultimatuim. In that it was a good mixture of stylist fighting and gritty brawling. Which I do enjoy, epically in more grounded projects.