Posted by GeorgeWashington (16 posts) - - Show Bio

You know, I have a question. All across the Internet, I see people saying they hate minivans. HOW CAN YOU HATE MINIVANS? I don't get it. They're comfortable and they're increasingly luxurious, with reclining 1st and 2nd row seats and rear TVs and everything. How can you hate that? Makes no sense.

Take a look at this Dodge Caravan for example.

It is in the top 3 of the most luxurious minivans around, behind only Toyota Sienna and Honda Odyssey. This thing has rear DVD players to keep you entertained on long car rides. It's equal to a plane. It's nuts. How can people hate something like that.

People say minivans suck because they're not "cool" or "sporty" or "stylish" or anything like that. Well, you know what?

I COULDN'T CARE LESS!

Who cares if it's stylish or cool or anything like that? Not me. All I care about is the amazing features and the versatility. It's useful for carrying cargo or several passengers. What's up with the hate?

#1 Posted by _Psy_ (3388 posts) - - Show Bio

George Washinton rode a horse, not in a minivan.
/thread

#2 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

This is off topic even for the off topic forum.

#3 Posted by Samimista (20576 posts) - - Show Bio

My thoughts of seeing the OP's name: How come Haytham Kenway doesn't have a CV account?

#4 Posted by YourNeighborhoodComicGeek (19874 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't hate minivans.

#5 Posted by Samimista (20576 posts) - - Show Bio

@YourNeighborhoodComicGeek said:

I don't hate minivans.

Yeah I don't either. I wouldn't want one for a car as I'm a loner but they're very comfortable.

#6 Posted by dccomicsrule2011 (22850 posts) - - Show Bio

SUV's>>>>>Minivans

Online
#8 Posted by TheNooseIsLoose (1900 posts) - - Show Bio

Child rape.

#9 Posted by PowerHerc (80692 posts) - - Show Bio

They hate them because they don't have a need for them and hence they cannot appreciate how truly practical and awesome they are.

#10 Posted by GeorgeWashington (16 posts) - - Show Bio

@PowerHerc: Makes sense.

#11 Posted by PowerHerc (80692 posts) - - Show Bio

@GeorgeWashington:

Thank you GeorgeWashington, Father of our Country.

#12 Posted by Brazen_Intellect (1144 posts) - - Show Bio

Because insecure males see them as the universal sign they gave up their balls

#13 Posted by minigunman123 (3116 posts) - - Show Bio

@Samimista said:

@YourNeighborhoodComicGeek said:

I don't hate minivans.

Yeah I don't either. I wouldn't want one for a car as I'm a loner but they're very comfortable.

Samimista, your avatar wouldn't happen to be Halo 4 based, now, would it? =DDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Also, I like cars that drive well, not cars that keep passengers happy. If minivans drive like crap, I'm not getting one when I get older. I want to be able to be confidant I'm not going to kill everyone in the car, when I'm driving, since I'm still an inexperienced 16 year old ^^ Hopefully by the time I'm more experienced, I will be more confidant in my ability to drive.

#14 Posted by The_Roman (3297 posts) - - Show Bio

@_Punk_ said:

George Washinton rode a horse, not in a minivan. /thread

I ROFL'd. I can't even put into words how well you played that, I-I just... Applauds

#15 Posted by Samimista (20576 posts) - - Show Bio

@minigunman123: Lol! It's Mass Effect. I will be sporting Halo 4 soon though when I get to play it.

#16 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

@Samimista: HOLY FUDGE WREX!!!!!!

I'm more a Grunt man, but Wrex is awesome!

#17 Posted by Samimista (20576 posts) - - Show Bio

@Blood1991: Lol! Finally someone knows who he is! xD I just started the series two day ago. I'm searching for Liara in ME1 now. I like Wrex so far he seems kinda funny. xD I just beat ACIII this morning so I'll focus more on ME1.

#18 Posted by Agent9149 (2890 posts) - - Show Bio

They're ugly. They look like fat slugs.

#19 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

@Samimista said:

@Blood1991: Lol! Finally someone knows who he is! xD I just started the series two day ago. I'm searching for Liara in ME1 now. I like Wrex so far he seems kinda funny. xD I just beat ACIII this morning so I'll focus more on ME1.

ME is one of my favorite series ever! You have three awesome games to catch up on ^_^

#20 Posted by Samimista (20576 posts) - - Show Bio

@Blood1991 said:

@Samimista said:

@Blood1991: Lol! Finally someone knows who he is! xD I just started the series two day ago. I'm searching for Liara in ME1 now. I like Wrex so far he seems kinda funny. xD I just beat ACIII this morning so I'll focus more on ME1.

ME is one of my favorite series ever! You have three awesome games to catch up on ^_^

I'm looking forward to it. ^_^ I normally don't do side quests but already working on some in ME1. Kinda wish I could make Fem Shep's hair a bit longer but that's okay. xD

#21 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

@Samimista said:

@Blood1991 said:

@Samimista said:

@Blood1991: Lol! Finally someone knows who he is! xD I just started the series two day ago. I'm searching for Liara in ME1 now. I like Wrex so far he seems kinda funny. xD I just beat ACIII this morning so I'll focus more on ME1.

ME is one of my favorite series ever! You have three awesome games to catch up on ^_^

I'm looking forward to it. ^_^ I normally don't do side quests but already working on some in ME1. Kinda wish I could make Fem Shep's hair a bit longer but that's okay. xD

Lol making a good looking avatar in ME is an art form

#22 Posted by Vortex13 (12221 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheNooseIsLoose said:

Child rape.

That's actual vans not mini-vans. Mini-vans are seen as more soccer momish. Personally I like Vans they're big you can fit a lot of people in them and if you get one of those super badass ones that are like miniature campers you're set. I like them. Mini-vans I like too.

#23 Posted by mrdecepticonleader (17498 posts) - - Show Bio

I dont hate them.

There are alot more things to hate which are more justified.

#24 Posted by Meticulous (543 posts) - - Show Bio

I put Minivans into the same category as the Fanny pack. Sure its practical, sure its comfortable, but... Yeah its the same kind of vibe. If you are okay with looking silly you wear fanny packs and drive Minivans.

#25 Posted by inferiorego (21102 posts) - - Show Bio

My first car, in high school, was a mini van. 94' Dodge Caravan. I used to pack it up with my friends and we'd cruise the strip blasting Bad Religion. Those were the days.

Staff
#26 Posted by The Stegman (22711 posts) - - Show Bio

..Now I wanna make a Ben Franklin Account...AND drive a mini van.

Online
#27 Posted by RonPaulRevolution (14 posts) - - Show Bio

@GeorgeWashington said:

You know, I have a question. All across the Internet, I see people saying they hate minivans. HOW CAN YOU HATE MINIVANS? I don't get it. They're comfortable and they're increasingly luxurious, with reclining 1st and 2nd row seats and rear TVs and everything. How can you hate that? Makes no sense.

Take a look at this Dodge Caravan for example.

It is in the top 3 of the most luxurious minivans around, behind only Toyota Sienna and Honda Odyssey. This thing has rear DVD players to keep you entertained on long car rides. It's equal to a plane. It's nuts. How can people hate something like that.

People say minivans suck because they're not "cool" or "sporty" or "stylish" or anything like that. Well, you know what?

I COULDN'T CARE LESS!

Who cares if it's stylish or cool or anything like that? Not me. All I care about is the amazing features and the versatility. It's useful for carrying cargo or several passengers. What's up with the hate?

It's because they are gas guzzlers.

If you can buy 4 gallons for a buck, then sure, they would be a popular thing.

#28 Posted by sesquipedalophobe (4689 posts) - - Show Bio

Station wagons are more practical.

#29 Posted by Nefarious (18337 posts) - - Show Bio

They are small.

#30 Edited by ABooth (1 posts) - - Show Bio

2 simple reasons:

1) Minivan drivers are bad drivers. Insurance premiums for a minivan are 50% higher than for a station wagon or SUV of similar cost to repair because they're involved in more accidents. Something about the minivan DNA causes their drivers to be considerably less attentive or skilled behind the wheel.

2) Minivans are mechanically archaic and are designed to wring out the manufacturer's cost. All current models have evolved into large front-wheel drive vehicles with open differentials and use electronic 'traction control' systems which pulse the brakes on the spinning wheels rather than variably apportioning torque to the wheel(s) with grip, as a much more sensible (and only slightly more costly) limited-slip differential would do. This problem is especially noticeable when trying to accelerate out of a turn or when turning while climbing a hill. The poor traction problem is exacerbated by the new 5- and 6-speed transmission which have very short 1st and 2nd gears intended to give the van 'sporty' acceleration, but also multiply the (mis)application of torque in the aforementioned situations. Moreover, most minivans must use archaic rear suspension designs to accommodate the need to flip-&-fold the rear seats, such as twist beam rear axles. The twist beam rear axle may save space, but it was designed in the mid-1930s for the Citroen Traction Avant and really doesn't perform well when cornering under load or when hitting big bumps in the road (the rear wheels will adjust for camber, but not toe, causing the rear end to step out a bit, and the rear will shimmy when crossing railroad tracks). They also have spooky handling dynamics because of all of the glass placed way up high, which raises the center of gravity because glass windows weigh a lot more than steel body panels do.

I'm sure minivans are reasonably sensible vehicles for those who want or need to haul a bunch of stuff and don't really care about how well they handle in bad weather or emergency evasion (or even spirited driving), but they're not good cars by any definition, unless you're using the ability to haul heaps of crap as the standard by which you judge a vehicle. If that's your need, just get a diesel truck - they're really excellent at that and get better mileage too.

#31 Posted by Cezar_TheScribe (2614 posts) - - Show Bio
#32 Posted by Cezar_TheScribe (2614 posts) - - Show Bio
#33 Posted by THORSON (2300 posts) - - Show Bio

because of girls.

you got a guy with a ford mini van vs some guy with a roadster, who do you think she will choose?

#34 Posted by GodTriggerHulk (1998 posts) - - Show Bio

@thorson:

The one with the bigger unit.

#35 Posted by longbowhunter (6609 posts) - - Show Bio

I've never understood the reputation minivans get either. "Nice Grocery Getter, dude". Yeah, it is nice for getting groceries. Are groceries not cool either? Minivans are great for taking loads of friends to shows outta state or conventions. You can fit so much music equipment in a minivan if you take the seats out. And they're the only vehicle I've comfortably had sex in. What's cooler than that?

#36 Posted by Hanson724 (541 posts) - - Show Bio

There not so funny after you have kids. Then they're practical. I had a cool 2 door Honda Civic hatchback that really sucked after we had kids.

#37 Edited by Samimista (20576 posts) - - Show Bio

I completely forgot about this thread. xD Didn't expect this to ever be bumped again.

#38 Posted by Saint_Wildcard (8690 posts) - - Show Bio

Cus its a soccer mom car

#39 Posted by Cezar_TheScribe (2614 posts) - - Show Bio

@thorson said:

because of girls.

you got a guy with a ford mini van vs some guy with a roadster, who do you think she will choose?

Stay away from females like that.

#40 Posted by TheCheeseStabber (7609 posts) - - Show Bio

So for the past 4 years our school, a boarding school has been using Minivans for transportation.

I have come to loathe them, they are awful, smell, easily break, have locking on seat belts, and get awful radio reception