• 52 results
#1 Edited by ULTRAstarkiller (6174 posts) - - Show Bio

I told my friends I went to Sac Con and got Rodger Craig Smiths autograph. There response was "it wasn't Christian Bale's though and it wasn't the Sandiago one". "That one go". And I said why would you want C Bales autograph and why do you want to go to comic con? They said "Cause he Batman". I then said you don't give a f*ck about Batman or comic con lol. They then started talking bout how cool Comic con was and how sport ball players go to it. I just face palmed myself lol.

So I ask you why do non readers and non nerds want to go to comic con. I dont get it lol. What eould they do there lol. Someone explain it to me.

#2 Posted by Wolverine08 (42241 posts) - - Show Bio

I guess they want to immerse themselves in the geek culture. Lol.

#3 Posted by War Killer (20206 posts) - - Show Bio

Comic Con, at least the one in San Diego, has over the years become less about actual comic books and more about entertainment.

#4 Posted by kgb725 (6440 posts) - - Show Bio

It can be fun even if your not a nerd

#5 Posted by Saint_Wildcard (10561 posts) - - Show Bio

I havent been been but all I hear are bad things. But ive got to go atleast once, like kevin smith said, its like mecca for nerds

#6 Posted by M3th (2099 posts) - - Show Bio

Why do non hardcore Dodger fans go to watch the games? Why do non hardcore Lakers fans go to the Staples Center to watch them play? Why do non smokers go to a Kush Convention or Smoke Out? Why do people who have Zero tatts go to a Tattoo Convention?

Why can't one want to go to experience something new? Why can't one be a casual fan who wants to experience a event that all the hardcore fans are.dying go go and experience?

-StayBlessed-

#7 Edited by Xwraith (18176 posts) - - Show Bio

Because being "nerd" has become the cool thing to be, believe it or not.

A certain CBS sitcom probably has a lot to do with it.

#8 Posted by russellmania77 (15356 posts) - - Show Bio

movies n semi celebs

#9 Edited by NlGHTCRAWLER (2899 posts) - - Show Bio

Comic Con isn't just for comic fans. It's for people who generally like or enjoy pop fiction. This means fans of various movies/tv/comic/videogames are all welcomed here and in many other conventions like this one. Basically? Your definition of "nerd" doesn't apply to the rest of the world. Sorry bout dat.

#10 Posted by Shavo (2061 posts) - - Show Bio

not everyone who goes to comic con is a nerd open your eyes for once in your life buddy sheesh....

#11 Edited by ULTRAstarkiller (6174 posts) - - Show Bio
#13 Edited by Shavo (2061 posts) - - Show Bio

@knivestrillions: Obviously I did if I asked sheesh....

obviously if you think everyone who goes out to a con and likes to read comic book is a nerd i think you should buy yourself a calender and go "HEY ITS THE 21ST CENTURY A COMIC BOOK DOESN'T MEAN YOUR A NERD ANYMORE!" if you ever go to comic con again open your eyes real wide and realize that not everyone in there looks like steve urkel.....

#14 Posted by Squares (6528 posts) - - Show Bio

@ultrastarkiller said:

obviously if you think everyone who goes out to a con and likes to read comic book is a nerd i think you should buy yourself a calender and go "HEY ITS THE 21ST CENTURY A COMIC BOOK DOESN'T MEAN YOUR A NERD ANYMORE!" if you ever go to comic con again open your eyes real wide and realize that not everyone in there looks like steve urkel.....

Nope, not all of us look like Steve Urkel, just you :3

#15 Edited by _Zombie_ (10443 posts) - - Show Bio

They want to experience the culture. And conventions are a fun way to do that. Or they just want to have fun.

For instance. I went to Anime Expo with my boyfriend a few months ago. And yet, I'm not a huge anime fan, nor really knowledgeable about Japanese culture. And yet I absolutely loved it. It was an experience, and it was fun.

#16 Posted by mikethekiller (8405 posts) - - Show Bio

Because they want to.

#17 Posted by Shavo (2061 posts) - - Show Bio

@squares said:

@knivestrillions said:

@ultrastarkiller said:

Nope, not all of us look like Steve Urkel, just you :3

uhmm good one?

#18 Posted by AllStarSuperman (21865 posts) - - Show Bio

Because they're Hippy Hipsters

#19 Posted by Marionettegeist (1912 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh no! They're trying to invade our sanctum, and change our culture to their hedonistic ways, we must fight! But seriously I assume comi-con would still be pretty fun even if you're not a nerd, or comic-book fan.

#20 Posted by ULTRAstarkiller (6174 posts) - - Show Bio

@knivestrillions: I don't look like Urkel and I doubt if people ever did. And I wasn't insulting you. Calm down. Take a chill pill.

#21 Edited by Shavo (2061 posts) - - Show Bio

@knivestrillions: I don't look like Urkel and I doubt if people ever did. And I wasn't insulting you. Calm down. Take a chill pill.

uhmm do you not know how to read or something? i never said you look like urkel i said NOT EVERYONE AT COMIC CON LOOKS LIKE URKEL its a metaphor come on this is second grade stuff and i'm not mad i'm just informing a close minded person on how the world works in 2013 not 1950....

#22 Posted by cameron83 (7303 posts) - - Show Bio

@_zombie_ said:

ULTRAstarkiller marked this as the best answer

They want to experience the culture. And conventions are a fun way to do that. Or they just want to have fun.

For instance. I went to Anime Expo with my boyfriend a few months ago. And yet, I'm not a huge anime fan, nor really knowledgeable about Japanese culture. And yet I absolutely loved it. It was an experience, and it was fun.

I guess they want to immerse themselves in the geek culture. Lol.

#23 Posted by JediXMan (30608 posts) - - Show Bio

Comic Con is, by no means, exclusively about comic books. It is also about movies, video games, anime, horror, sci fi, and just general pop culture.

#24 Edited by HumanRocket (8156 posts) - - Show Bio

Same reason why non sport fans go to baseball football and basketball fans to say they went and to take picture to post on their instagrams or Facebook.

#25 Posted by ULTRAstarkiller (6174 posts) - - Show Bio

@knivestrillions: Capitalizing your I's is also second grade stuff. I kinda don't even care for this conversation anymore.....so ya.

#26 Posted by Shavo (2061 posts) - - Show Bio

@knivestrillions: Capitalizing your I's is also second grade stuff. I kinda don't even care for this conversation anymore.....so ya.

whatever but ill leave this convo with this quote which ill let you think about while you're listening to macklemore.....

"Narrow, unenlightened self-interest doesn’t impress me."

-george carlin

#27 Posted by THEOCITYLEGEND (1208 posts) - - Show Bio

@ultrastarkiller said:

You seem a little aggressive

#28 Posted by Shavo (2061 posts) - - Show Bio

@knivestrillions said:

@ultrastarkiller said:

its just caps god...im not on my keyboard typing furiously with red hot rage im just answering this dudes question on "why only nerds go to comic con"

#29 Posted by PowerHerc (83796 posts) - - Show Bio

Because, due to Hollywood, it's become chic to say you like comics and comic-related things.

#30 Posted by NorrinBoltagonPrime21 (5907 posts) - - Show Bio

@knivestrillions said:

@ultrastarkiller said:

I agree......

#31 Posted by ThatGuyWithHeadPhones (11049 posts) - - Show Bio

Nerd...I thought we were geeks

#32 Posted by WarBlade539 (4579 posts) - - Show Bio

@m3th said:

Why do non hardcore Dodger fans go to watch the games? Why do non hardcore Lakers fans go to the Staples Center to watch them play? Why do non smokers go to a Kush Convention or Smoke Out? Why do people who have Zero tatts go to a Tattoo Convention?

Why can't one want to go to experience something new? Why can't one be a casual fan who wants to experience a event that all the hardcore fans are.dying go go and experience?

-StayBlessed-

#33 Posted by GraniteSoldier (7782 posts) - - Show Bio

I wasn't aware one had to be a nerd to go to a comic book convention. News to me.

#34 Posted by Nelomaxwell (10490 posts) - - Show Bio

I wasn't aware one had to be a nerd to go to a comic book convention. News to me.

Same.

#35 Posted by BiteMe-Fanboy (7846 posts) - - Show Bio

It's fun as hell.

#36 Edited by danhimself (22547 posts) - - Show Bio

because SDCC should change it's name to San Diego Pop Culture Con....I mean c'mon there were Breaking Bad and How I Met Your Mother panels this year and there have been Twilight panels in the past

#37 Edited by BallPointHero (134 posts) - - Show Bio

Comic Con isn't exclusively for comic nerds. All sorts of nerds go there. Cosplay geeks, movie nerds, video game addicts, tv drama fans..etc

#38 Posted by War Killer (20206 posts) - - Show Bio

because SDCC should change it's name to San Diego Pop Culture Con....I mean c'mon there were Breaking Bad and How I Met Your Mother panels this year and there have been Twilight panels in the past

Seriously. I went to the SDCC back in 2009 and, no kidding, like half of the people were only there for the Twilight stuff and could careless about the comics.

#39 Posted by Wolfrazer (6714 posts) - - Show Bio

What is a nerd? Why must we have labels? Just call em fans, done and simple...

#41 Posted by TheFirstLantern (1505 posts) - - Show Bio

Because, due to Hollywood, it's become chic to say you like comics and comic-related things.

#42 Edited by The Stegman (24384 posts) - - Show Bio

1. To experience it.

2. Tons of celebrities are there

3. Most importantly, hot cosplay girls in very little clothing.

#43 Posted by CrazyScarecrow (1345 posts) - - Show Bio

I know some non-comic fans go due to the video games. Some people who are not that big in comics go because they want to take interest in certain characters.

#44 Posted by ULTRAstarkiller (6174 posts) - - Show Bio

1. To experience it.

2. Tons of celebrities are there

3. Most importantly, hot cosplay girls in very little clothing.

This is the answer to everything.

#45 Posted by Guardiandevil83 (5599 posts) - - Show Bio

Meet Celebs

Many were undercover fans and can now get away with dressing like Spawn or Superman.

They might be gamers.

Chicks are dressed like Emma Frost or Red Sonya

#46 Posted by MonsterStomp (17939 posts) - - Show Bio

Chicks?

#47 Edited by nerdork (4038 posts) - - Show Bio

For many (non-nerds, as you say), they go because it is an entire pop-culture event, its not just isolated to comic books and toys. Comic Con is an event that anybody could, and do, enjoy. Some go to genuinely experience the comic book sub-culture that they have never known, and actually have an interest. Some go because they want to see all of the new sci-fi/adventure/action/thriller movies that are coming out int he next year. Some do go for girls, and their scantily clad outfits. Some go because they want to break into the writing industry, or the movie industry and make amazing cosplay outfits to get themselves noticed. And some.....go because it has been, for almost 5 years now, becoming cool to be a Comic Book fan, and they want to be part of the in-crowd. Even though all they do is walk around and laugh at the cosplayers and collectors (like me), who run around trying to find a decent copy of Gambit's first appearance (X-Men 266), Captain Marvel first appearance or Iron Man 55 for under $500. I go because i love the experience, and have been going to SDCC since 2006. I will always attend, no matter how tedious the crowds may be.

@ultrastarkiller: I go to Sac Con...it is a very well done event. And there are a lot of great books to sift through there. We may have even bumped into each other and didnt even know it. lol

#48 Edited by InnerVenom123 (29501 posts) - - Show Bio

Better question: why do you care?

#49 Posted by Cezar_TheScribe (2614 posts) - - Show Bio

Unless someone collects comic books they don't belong at the convention. :p

The people at these conventions are not "nerds, "geeks" or anything else.

#50 Edited by nerdork (4038 posts) - - Show Bio

Unless someone collects comic books they don't belong at the convention. :p

The people at these conventions are not "nerds, "geeks" or anything else.

It is that attitude that, unfortunately, has our type (collectors) ostracized...and called nerds, geeks. My name is simply a play on words. Myself...I dont think I, anyone on this sight, or those that frequent cons, are nerds or dorks.