#1 Posted by jointron33 (1902 posts) - - Show Bio

Seriously, who the hell would want to be "the black version of this more popular white guy" or "the latino version of a white woman"? For all the diversity naggers, namely those actually of color, why in the hell would you want some white person's hand-me-downs? That's the same dumbass plantation mentality as modern day affirmative action! And we all know that you didn't support good book like Milestone comics, because you felt that they had sold out to the "white company" of DC/Time Warner.........go to hell. Also, why not make your own character and make history that way instead of having to have the bar lowered for you to appease an ego that apparently doesn't take much to satisfy?

#3 Edited by Akindoodle (1021 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh come on man! I just made this really cool rant post on your other thread!

EDIT: I will add that sometimes the "Diversity" is done well. Just look at Ultimate Spider Man. I LOVE Miles and he's Peter's replacement. But he's every bit his own character even if he did inherit a legacy. Just think about the things that kid could grow up to do especially under Nick Fury's watchful eye (..... I am SO sorry, I didn't even realise until I typed it)

#4 Posted by cameron83 (7420 posts) - - Show Bio

Seriously, who the hell would want to be "the black version of this more popular white guy" or "the latino version of a white woman"? For all the diversity naggers, namely those actually of color, why in the hell would you want some white person's hand-me-downs? That's the same dumbass plantation mentality as modern day affirmative action! And we all know that you didn't support good book like Milestone comics, because you felt that they had sold out to the "white company" of DC/Time Warner.........go to hell. Also, why not make your own character and make history that way instead of having to have the bar lowered for you to appease an ego that apparently doesn't take much to satisfy?

I agree.It's actually much better to have your own character,rather than change the race of another character....and that "Milestone selling out to a white company" thing....ugh.It just sounds ignorant and dumb enough.However,I hope your not making this into some white vs minority thing.I know your not intending to,I am just saying be careful to where this thread may steer.We don't want it to head into that dumb,ignorant bias and irrational territory.

#5 Posted by w0nd (3520 posts) - - Show Bio

As a black person I agree. Some people have told me race shouldn't matter now. Specifically the rumor of the black human torch. People tried to tell me it's because when they made him it was obviously because white males were favored and now it shouldn't matter, so they were doing it to show it didn't matter and to show they aren't controlled by it anymore. I saw it as "oh your team/race is lacking cool characters....have one of ours...there we recolored him, he's your guys now" I would rather they just come up with cool ORIGINAL characters. Heck luke cage doesn't have a catchy costume or amazing powers but he is one of the coolest heroes to date

#6 Posted by NorrinBoltagonPrime21 (5947 posts) - - Show Bio

I've always felt people should stop pushing for diversity everywhere because if we're supposed to be so tolerant of a society, it wouldn't be necessary. In a way, diversity is dividing people.

#7 Posted by RDClip (1132 posts) - - Show Bio

I've always felt people should stop pushing for diversity everywhere because if we're supposed to be so tolerant of a society, it wouldn't be necessary. In a way, diversity is dividing people.

Diversity has to be pushed because there is still a huge disparity in the main-stream media of white people vs non-white people. Hollywood studio films and network TV is still incredibly segrigated. The majority of films and TV produced for mass audience consumption have all white cast. Black people get a few of their own movies and shows. Latinos are getting a few nowdays. And you're lucky if you see one asian or middle-easterner as an extra on tv or in a movie. A few black and latino men and women are leads in big movies, but no other minority is given the chance to star in something. A non-white man will almost never be the romantic interest for a non-white female while non-white women are either paired off with another person of her own skin colour or used as an exotic beauty for the white hero to bed. Take a look someday to see how much the media has done this.

I'm not saying it is overt racism. However, I think it is some kind of profits-driven xeophobia. There is this idea that since white people are the majority of viewers, they wouldn't be willing to watch something that features someone who isn't their own race. That is wrong and it is very condescending toward the audience.

Therefore, diversity has to be pushed to show companies that people are willing to support minority actors and to get people used to a mixed race culture rather than a culture where every ethnicity has their own separate place.

#8 Edited by InnerVenom123 (29501 posts) - - Show Bio

diversity naggers

There is no way this is not a South Park reference.

#9 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio

I like diverse legacy characters, especially if they replace boring old white guys.

Although I dislike killing a character so they can be replaced, but that's for most situations like that not just those involving a new character who's a different race or gender or whatever.

#10 Posted by ARMIV2 (8586 posts) - - Show Bio

Right ON!

#11 Posted by tim2081 (519 posts) - - Show Bio

Black Nick Fury is more popular than white Nick Fury, sometimes it's an improvement to switch races.

#12 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29501 posts) - - Show Bio

Also, why not make your own character and make history that way?

It'd be a lot easier for non-white characters to get introduced and be successful if the market was more diverse in the first place.

Duh.

#13 Posted by NorrinBoltagonPrime21 (5947 posts) - - Show Bio

@rdclip said:

@norrinboltagonprime21 said:

Diversity has to be pushed because there is still a huge disparity in the main-stream media of white people vs non-white people. Hollywood studio films and network TV is still incredibly segrigated. The majority of films and TV produced for mass audience consumption have all white cast. Black people get a few of their own movies and shows. Latinos are getting a few nowdays. And you're lucky if you see one asian or middle-easterner as an extra on tv or in a movie. A few black and latino men and women are leads in big movies, but no other minority is given the chance to star in something. A non-white man will almost never be the romantic interest for a non-white female while non-white women are either paired off with another person of her own skin colour or used as an exotic beauty for the white hero to bed. Take a look someday to see how much the media has done this.

I'm not saying it is overt racism. However, I think it is some kind of profits-driven xeophobia. There is this idea that since white people are the majority of viewers, they wouldn't be willing to watch something that features someone who isn't their own race. That is wrong and it is very condescending toward the audience.

Therefore, diversity has to be pushed to show companies that people are willing to support minority actors and to get people used to a mixed race culture rather than a culture where every ethnicity has their own separate place.

Diversity for the sake of diversity isn't necessary. There's also the problem is you really want to be diverse, you have to have every color under the sun like Glee and that show is terrible. I'm caribbean and I don't complain at all that that there aren't any caribbean characters in any major show or movies because I really don't care. I'd prefer to see a movie that's good regardless of the color of the cast as opposed to seeing the most politically correct movie with every minority covered.

I'm not sure what media you're watching but there are a lot of minority characters in shows already with major roles. I'm not sure if this is an official law but I remember hearing that every TV has to have at least one minority character in every show. You'll find at least one minority character in every show with a somewhat important role.

I never understood why he have to keep classifying people, we are supposed to be one species so why don't we start acting like one. People keep wanting to have everybody in some category to be represented instead of looking at everybody as one race.

#14 Posted by ThatGuyWithHeadPhones (11266 posts) - - Show Bio

Dc really only does that marvel is actually pretty good at diversity

#15 Edited by lifeofvibe (3494 posts) - - Show Bio

What about green lantern?and Batman Inc.?

Is there an exception?

#16 Posted by lifeofvibe (3494 posts) - - Show Bio
#17 Edited by novi_homines (1338 posts) - - Show Bio

@innervenom123 said:

@jointron33 said:

It'd be a lot easier for non-white characters to get introduced and be successful if the market was more diverse in the first place.

Duh.

And this is the problem we face.

There's a reason as to why so many african american lead titles get cancelled so quick. Its because alot of non african americans don't care to even give it a chance. I know this sounds mean, but I truly believe this to be a fact. I've always said that if african american characters either don't have a team of non blacks surrounding them, don't have the luxury of riding on the cottails of an already established hero (spidey, bats), or aren't at the center of a major universe wide event or story, they will always fail financially and will end up being cancelled as a result. It may be sad, but that's simply the truth.

#18 Edited by TheAuroraChild (85 posts) - - Show Bio

SMH at some of the responses in this thread, especially since I have a lot of POC legacy characters that I love.

What's the problem? Not enough white superheroes out there? :P

#19 Posted by jointron33 (1902 posts) - - Show Bio
#20 Posted by jointron33 (1902 posts) - - Show Bio

Like I mentioned, Milestone Comics. Your argument is invalid. Why? Because as I said, one of the reasons that Milestone crumbled was because many minorities, namely blacks, said that they were selling out by partnering with DC, and was "keeping indie black comix down, ya dig?"

#21 Posted by Cybrilious4 (1766 posts) - - Show Bio
#22 Posted by MyNameWasDeleted (679 posts) - - Show Bio

So then the answer is maybe to have an established black entrepreneur like Jay Z head up the publishing company? In hopes to give it credibility with it's target black audience and see what the results are? I would take bets that it would still fail because it's not for any other reason than those characters tend to lack something, and the stories suffer for it. I don't know what it is those characters lack, but if I did I'd fix it, and make bank publishing a solid book that everyone would enjoy reading.

#23 Posted by KnightRise (4785 posts) - - Show Bio

Spike Lee at it again.

#24 Edited by cameron83 (7420 posts) - - Show Bio

@novi_homines said:

@innervenom123 said:

@jointron33 said:

Duh.

And this is the problem we face.

There's a reason as to why so many african american lead titles get cancelled so quick. Its because alot of non african americans don't care to even give it a chance. I know this sounds mean, but I truly believe this to be a fact. I've always said that if african american characters either don't have a team of non blacks surrounding them, don't have the luxury of riding on the cottails of an already established hero (spidey, bats), or aren't at the center of a major universe wide event or story, they will always fail financially and will end up being cancelled as a result. It may be sad, but that's simply the truth.

by the same token,aren't you forgetting people that are black that don't give the title a chance...I mean,simply because the characters are black doesn't meant he title is good or worth picking up.I don't think that that is the case as you stated.I mean,there are lots of successful african american characters in comics,but at the same time there are lots of ones that fail.They don't have to ride on the popularity of an already established character,they don't have to be surrounded by a team of non black characters,and they don't have to be the main focus in a cosmic event.And by the same token,there are also plenty of people that are non-black that do give the title a chance and many that to not.However,it's not because of the characters race that they do/don't pick up a title.

...sorry for the two replies btw. But you get what I mean,right?

• Generally (unfortunately,people like this still exist),the race of the character doesn't matter,it's the writing.The race of the character doesn't really matter and,although true sometimes,it's not true most of the time.I mean,to blame the characters race all the time when that is not always the case is silly (not saying you did that,but some people do).Although,yes in some cases people don't want to pick up a title because of the race of a character and it's ridiculous.
  • There are people of every race that do/don't pick up a title for reason stated above...And because I am black doesn't mean I want to pick up Ultimate Spider-man if it is not good.
  • There are titles of people that do not fit your criteria that are successful.
@theaurorachild said:

SMH at some of the responses in this thread, especially since I have a lot of POC legacy characters that I love.

What's the problem? Not enough white superheroes out there? :P

I think that it's better that POC characters become their own characters,and make their own legacy,rather than ride on the legacy of another character.

#26 Posted by cameron83 (7420 posts) - - Show Bio

Spike Lee at it again.

XD

@rdclip said:

Diversity for the sake of diversity isn't necessary. There's also the problem is you really want to be diverse, you have to have every color under the sun like Glee and that show is terrible. I'm caribbean and I don't complain at all that that there aren't any caribbean characters in any major show or movies because I really don't care. I'd prefer to see a movie that's good regardless of the color of the cast as opposed to seeing the most politically correct movie with every minority covered.

I'm not sure what media you're watching but there are a lot of minority characters in shows already with major roles. I'm not sure if this is an official law but I remember hearing that every TV has to have at least one minority character in every show. You'll find at least one minority character in every show with a somewhat important role.

I never understood why he have to keep classifying people, we are supposed to be one species so why don't we start acting like one. People keep wanting to have everybody in some category to be represented instead of looking at everybody as one race.

this.this.this.

I agree with this.

@rdclip said:

I get what you mean.Although you can see that many shows/movies are starting to have a very diverse cast.Other times,they do not.Other times,people don't really care what the race of the cast is (meaning that they don't even take it into consideration,which isn't really bad).

However,yes,shows and movies need to represent/display a more diverse cast to reflect on todays society. However,sometimes I do not agree with what people do because sometimes people believe that (in comics) changing a characters race suddenly solves the diversity problem and makes you open-minded,which it doesn't.

However,nothing is really wrong with an interracial pairing in a movie (I'd actually like to see it.I mean,the image that movies/shows give make it seem as if these people don't exist).SO,if a non-white women is paired with a non-white guy (or both of them could be white,it doesn't really matter) I would actually be surprised because the media doesn't really show diversity in many cases.

However,not all movies are this way.

#27 Posted by lykopis (10746 posts) - - Show Bio

Every medium should reflect society. If there is a disparity it should be remedied and if a choice is made to replace a character then so be it. I would much prefer new characters but I'll take what I can get. As for actors, as long as they are good at their craft, great -- mixing things up and changing the status quo isn't a bad thing. If it doesn't work out - it doesn't work out. You won't know until you try and it's the trying I advocate.

#28 Posted by JulieDC (972 posts) - - Show Bio

You don't have to tell minorities this...we've been saying this for a long time. Its the comic book companies that need to be told. They want to make black versions of white characters because it will create controversy by angering a legion of fans and non-comic book readers for fear of their favorite character being replaced in favor of diversity. Controversy sells all the while destroying any legitimacy in real diversity and dashing any hope of having black characters that actually do something in comics besides being the sassy female or the boring, stoic rip off.

#29 Posted by theTimeStreamer (2841 posts) - - Show Bio

@tim2081: only because of the avengers movie. comic book fans, real ones anyway, despise him, me included. it is just a money grab, to fool the non-comic book reading public.

#30 Posted by SOG7dc (7314 posts) - - Show Bio

@jointron33: I agree with alot of your points. But the op is a tad but harsh.

And I actually have made my own character and written issue 1...now I just need a damn artist

#31 Posted by jointron33 (1902 posts) - - Show Bio

@sog7dc: why do you think it is harsh?

#32 Posted by w0nd (3520 posts) - - Show Bio

I honestly don't believe "non blacks" don't give a damn about black characters. A lot of people I talk to that are white bring up how cool

Luke cage is
Static
Black Lightning
Spawn
John Stewart (who bores me to death might I add)

(List goes on) Are.

I never even mention them they just bring them up on their own accord. Obviously I don't know the official ratio of how many white guys like black characters, could only be in my area.

I also don't find the original posters harsh at all. He's right, i find it offensive for the reasons I said before. It would them be saying "here this guy is cool...recolor him and add him to your B team" But then keep in mind if he still acts "white" he truly wouldn't be black, so now they have to change his personality slightly as well, then he faces they "now he's acting like a sterotypical black guy, even though SOME black people " issue that a lot of characters face if not handled with the most delicate care, example Mudflaps and Skids, in that movie it's racist, on Fresh prince it's what? Not racist all of a sudden? Why because a black person is the one acting like a black person instead of a robot?

It would just be easier to create a good original black character then to try to recolor and rework a white one.

#33 Posted by RedLantern23 (884 posts) - - Show Bio

While I agree that changing a popular characters race isnt the answer, everyone saying "Just make an original character and make him a minority" its not that simple. Whats the last significant hero Marvel or DC has created in the last 5 years of ANY race, let alone a minority?

#34 Edited by SOG7dc (7314 posts) - - Show Bio
#35 Posted by Dabee (2394 posts) - - Show Bio

@jointron33: Hm, no. I'll let it slide, just wait until you get some experience in the real world.

#36 Posted by jointron33 (1902 posts) - - Show Bio

@sog7dc: Good. I'm tired of sorry ass negroes who decry racism yet love bet, who constantly bring up slavery yet want "Massa" to give them something. I'm pissed.

#37 Edited by Jnr6Lil (7708 posts) - - Show Bio

@rdclip said: