Why did the Sikh temple shooting get less coverage than Aurora?

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

Edited By frozen  Moderator
FoolsGold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Mandarinestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Americentrism at its finest.

Mr_Clockwork91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen: Sadly because in America, if it didn't happen to Christians, who cares?

Mandarinestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mr_clockwork91: Correction, if it didn't happen to a stereotypical white man or woman, who cares?

Mr_Clockwork91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mr_clockwork91: Correction, if it didn't happen to a stereotypical white man or woman, who cares?

That's what I meant to say.

johnfrank120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By johnfrank120

One happened in a very American and common place with lots of average American people, the other was in a small religious minority temple filled with 'ruddy foreigners', not too relatable to the average joe. One was at a very publicised event and affected a bit more people and was committed by a loony who somehow got a gun, leading to heated gun control arguments.

BatWatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

#8  Edited By BatWatch

Aurora killed twice as many people and had a Batman theme considering it corresponded with the release of The Dark Knight Rises and had someone dressed up like the Joker. The more relatable aspect is also probably a factor. I've rarely entered a theatre since without wondering if a gunman might enter. I haven't entered a Sikh temple.

Jacthripper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's not a majority race killing or a terrorist attack, so no one cares. Sad but true

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because a Batman inspired mass shooting occurring during the showing of the highly popular last film of TDK series is so left field it would've gotten tons of coverage even if no one died. Sadly, on the other hand, we hear about brown/middle eastern people dying every other day...

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

Honestly, I don't really think it did. Or, at least maybe not on purpose the way you think it might have. Aura was more interesting because the killer was still alive. Therefore their is court room drama to cover. The killer had much more complex reasons for killing that was a more interesting story. The guy that did the Skih shooting was dead(no trial), and he was very simple(just a racist). Aura was connected with a major movie franchise, therefore even more interesting.

I know you are Sikh so I hope this doesn't offend you, but the Movie Theater shooting is just a more interesting story. Let's be honest the killer always gets more coverage than any of the victims(unless the victim is a celebrity or politician or something). The Colorado killer is just a much more interesting guy, therefore he carried the story.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 frozen  Moderator
joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Because white people didn't get shot. I know that sounds bad but its absolutely true. The only time non white people getting shot makes headlines is when people force the issue. Its the same with missing kids, a white kid goes missing and all of America freaks the hell out and they make a Lifetime movie about it. a black kid goes missing and the news is like "meh."

Before anyone jumps on me for this I'd like to point out that I agree that this is crappy and shouldn't be this way but it is how it is.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Because for the most part, brown people getting killed in America isn't as important as white people getting killed.

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@frozen said:

@lukehero: I'm not a Sikh, I'm an Atheist.

I messed up my words. I meant to say you're family is Sikh right?

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 frozen  Moderator

Because white people didn't get shot. I know that sounds bad but its absolutely true. The only time non white people getting shot makes headlines is when people force the issue. Its the same with missing kids, a white kid goes missing and all of America freaks the hell out and they make a Lifetime movie about it. a black kid goes missing and the news is like "meh."

Before anyone jumps on me for this I'd like to point out that I agree that this is crappy and shouldn't be this way but it is how it is.

Because for the most part, brown people getting killed in America isn't as important as white people getting killed.

I honestly agree.

Will there ever be a time when America will care?

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#17  Edited By joshmightbe

@frozen: Yes, when white people are longer the majority. Then the news will focus almost entirely on the new majority and virtually ignore the rest of the people until someone forces the issue. And by the way this ain't just an American thing, its a humanity thing.

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen: Yes, when white people are longer the majority. Then the news will focus almost entirely on the new majority and virtually ignore the rest of the people until someone forces the issue. And by the way this ain't just an American thing, its a humanity thing.

Well, it didn't happen that way in South Africa.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because america does not care.

dngn4774

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

It's not actually that simple. "Racial majority" isn't really about raw numbers anymore, it's more about power and ownership over resources. By 2050 Latinos are expected to tie whites in numbers but they won't automatically become the new majority. More likely, over the next several centuries whites will continue to breed into other races until the concept of race by skin color will be no longer effective in describing race. After that point a new standard of physical features might change the meaning of race or social class might just replace race entirely. Either way, we'll both be long dead before any of this occurs.