why did god destroy the tower of Babel?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for midnightdragon18
midnightdragon18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

It doesn't really make any sense when you think About it.

hatemalingsia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because it's written so in the bible.

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I might regret asking this but what doesn't make sense about it?

russellmania77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the answer is God

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

It gave him an inferiority complex

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#6  Edited By frozen  Moderator

@midnightdragon18 said:

Not much in The Bible makes sense.

Claymore1998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

Because reasons , staph questioning god >_>

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By micah007123

@frozen said:

@midnightdragon18 said:

Not much in The Bible makes sense.

Ehhh I wouldn't say that. Alot of the Bible is basically a history book which is what I further learned taking Art classes and History subjects, names such as the Hittites for example often pop up within both subjects reinforcing said things that the Bible said happened with said group. That being said some do say the Bible is flawed since it was chronicled by man, but that's another topic.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 frozen  Moderator

@micah: The Bible contains historical and illogical fallacies (e.g. the Egyptians enslaving the Jews, which never happened, and claims now disproven by Science); with that in mind, it has over 400 contradictions.

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen said:

@micah: The Bible contains historical and illogical fallacies (e.g. the Egyptians enslaving the Jews, which never happened, and claims now disproven by Science); with that in mind, it has over 400 contradictions.

Do you have proof of this? And as I said written by man is potentially a problem.

AssertingValor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 65

Ask a pastor not us

Avatar image for fuzzylittlerodent
FuzzyLittleRodent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

It's religion. I ain't gotta explain sh*t.

midnightdragon18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@micah: he pretty much destroyed it Soo the humans wouldn't reach heaven, but we know that doesn't make sense since heaven isn't in space.

If you take the story as a metaphor then god was jealous of the humans and had a inferiority complex, but that doesn't mmake any sense either.

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By micah007123

@midnightdragon18 said:

@micah: he pretty much destroyed it Soo the humans wouldn't reach heaven, but we know that doesn't make sense since heaven isn't in space.

If you take the story as a metaphor then god was jealous of the humans and had a inferiority complex, but that doesn't mmake any sense either.

Actually the reason the tower was destroyed was because man had become so arrogant that they had decided to build a tower to reach the heavens and prove that they are better than God. Basically God was putting people back in their place to be blunt, since man had decided they are the rulers of the world and had attempted to overthrow him once they could reach heaven. The answer was given clear as day, really no need for metaphor's in dealing with the second part of your statement. We know heaven isn't in space but it was a lesson that needed to be taught apparently. Kinda like I'm trying to do something to person A that I have no chance of pulling off so person A decides to teach me a lesson so that doesn't happen again.

BatWatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

User Lists: 1

There are many ideas on this, so I'll share the ones I've heard.

1. I don't know. I don't think the Bible makes God's intent clear, so it's open to interpretation.

2. God told Noah and his descendants in Genesis 9 to go and replenish/fill the Earth. At Babel, mankind was congregating in the same place rather than fulfilling God's command to spread throughout the Earth, so God scattered them. This seems to be the predominant view of Christianity regarding this passage.

3. The people of Babel were lifted up in pride wanting to make a name for themselves rather than giving glory to God and wanting to build a tower to the Heavens which is essentially an attempt to put themselves in God's place. Lifted up in pride, they were destined for ruin, so God scattered them to avoid catastrophe.

4. God is evil and felt that by working together, humanity would be able to "do anything." Feeling threatened, he destroyed their cooperation to end their threat to his power.

5. There are many places in the Bible where God tells believers to spread throughout the entire world which causes some people to think that God does not want people living close together. The more people get together, the more wickedness prevails, and indeed, crime rates and most things considered sinful do occur more in urban areas than rural.

6. It's just a myth the Jewish people used to explain where different nations and languages originated.

7. This theory: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ntg4laGmcF0

If you really want to explore this question, I would urge you to watch this interview with a minister who has a completely different take on the Tower of Babel. In essence, he believes the story of the Tower of Babel is the story of the beginning stage of a dictatorship that God averted. His arguments make sense on a literal and metaphorical level. I don't think the text is explicit enough to justify this as THE correct interpretation, but it is certainly worth considering.

transcendence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By transcendence

The bible says the earth is flat and roughly 6000 years old.

Lol.

midnightdragon18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By midnightdragon18

@micah: but there was no need to destroy the tower, if they got high enough they would of realized oh sh*t we can't breathe in space, then they would realize their inferiority . Once a few of them died in space, they probably would of given up on reaching heaven.

johnfrank120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because he was a diiiiiiiiiiiiiic*

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By frozen  Moderator
micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@micah: but there was no need to destroy the tower, if they got high enough they would of realized oh sh*t we can't breathe in space, then they would realize their inferiority . Once a few of them died in space, they probably would of given up on reaching heaven.

We can't say that for sure is the thing. We have no idea how it would have turned out if God had not interfered, you'd be surprised how much it would take to get very determined people to give up. That being said @batwatch posted some good info, I also suggest you check out the interview he was referring to so you can look more into it.

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By micah007123

@frozen said:

@micah: Yes, most Historians and scholars agree that the Exodus story is fictional. Not only is there no evidence; but there now is evidence which goes against the notion of it ever occurring.

http://www.religiouscriticism.com/bible/the-jews-were-never-slaves-in-egypt/

The story of Gensis; has certainly been Scientifically disproven.

I've read that article actually, and have seen some of the links it provided. I'll need to look over them again, but I did find some holes with the various theories and speculations, since (and I'm not trying to sound arrogant) I'm not the average Joe and I wasn't the only one when I presented said evidence to my professors asking the same question. That being said thank you for the info, I will look at it.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By frozen  Moderator

@micah: Watch the video in my edited post. It's a more credible source.

The core point is that no serious Historian argues that the Egyptians enslaved the Jews.

Avatar image for marvete_e_dcnauta
Marvete_e_DCnauta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because he's a bipolar psychopat. Simple as that.

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen said:

@micah: Watch the video in my edited post. It's a more credible source.

The core point is that no serious Historian argues that the Egyptians enslaved the Jews.

I'll check it out.

johnfrank120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By johnfrank120

@marvete_e_dcnauta said:

Because he is a diiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiic*. Simple as that.

More simple terms

BatWatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

@frozen:

And the Big Bang definitely created the universe...oh wait, no never mind. The fact that we had 100% locked down for eighty plus years is now highly suspect. It's almost as if having the current consensus doesn't guarantee truth.

When talking about things that happened a long time ago, it's really hard to know what happened. We are looking at little scraps of information that have survived the millennia and trying to stitch together a narrative from it. If you want to take the current historical consensus as dogmatic fact, okay. Just realize what the experts says is certain one day is often flipped on it's head with the passing of time.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

@batwatch:

And the Big Bang definitely created the universe...oh wait, no never mind.

All significant current evidence points to that conclusion, just as all significant and credible evidence points to The Tower of Babel and much of The Bible's so called 'history' itself has been disproved. Yet you're clinging onto shreds of unconfirmed opinions and grasping at straws in your attempts to defend the historically inaccuracy of the Bible. For someone who claims that they don't like God, you sure do go to lengths to defend him don't you?

The fact that we had 100% locked down for eighty plus years is now highly suspect. It's almost as if having the current consensus doesn't guarantee truth.

And it's almost as if you're seriously accepting fiction over fact, which would be a poorly credible stance on your part. Believing in God is one thing as you Christians can hide behind the "Well you can't disprove God's non-existence" clause. But going against historical investigation and analysis of the Bible's events and proving their falsehoods is just incredibly poor logic on your part.

When talking about things that happened a long time ago, it's really hard to know what happened. We are looking at little scraps of information that have survived the millennia and trying to stitch together a narrative from it.

And you think a cobbled together account in a 'Holy' book beats out the vast quantities of evidence and other primary sources we have from this period? Not to mention the expertise of the historians who have studied this period and point out the contradictions of the Bible? It's easy to cast doubts on your critical thinking skills with statements like this.

If you want to take the current historical consensus as dogmatic fact, okay. Just realize what the experts says is certain one day is often flipped on it's head with the passing of time.

This last point works against you all too well, since what the experts say today is that the Bible is laughably inaccurate based on the academic research and evidence conducted into this period. Just realise that the diehard belief of trying to fanatically cling onto religious texts as the truth is an opinion which is falling away from human society.

Rouflex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#28  Edited By Rouflex

Because you are the pions of the god, there for you must entertain him... Bunch of weepers... Stop judging God!

-Lord of Comicvine

Pilasy:La Voix d'un homme

BiteMe-Fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

ComicVine needs just go ahead and do a permanent ban on Religious threads.. They always lead to the same thing: arguments about how religion is fake. It seriously never fails.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for transformers1024
Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

ComicVine needs just go ahead and do a permanent ban on Religious threads.. They always lead to the same thing: arguments about how religion is fake. It seriously never fails.

This.

Pretty much the entire Off-Topic needs some cracking down, but these religion threads are an absolute joke.

Marvete_e_DCnauta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@biteme_fanboy: so we are banning threads because people tell the truth in said threads?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Marvete_e_DCnauta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324: há, i caught someone with a bad bait.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@marvete_e_dcnauta: more reasons to ban religious threads... They become bait. Thank you for helping my point.

midnightdragon18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@biteme_fanboy: there's nothing wrong with arguing, you can alway just not go on religion threads .

Plus it's not like anyone is posting go kill yourself pics.

kingofnerds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=C0TvfqmWf4M

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By frozen  Moderator

@jayc1324 said:

@biteme_fanboy: I agree.

Why would CV off-topic need the thought police to censor valid discussion? It breaks none of the Off-Topic rules.

BlackLegRaph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By BlackLegRaph

That is one of the staples of the Internet. It is as assured as the sun rising every morning.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

No Caption Provided

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@biteme_fanboy said:

This.

Pretty much the entire Off-Topic needs some cracking down, but these religion threads are an absolute joke.

But then how else would users be able to go from 5,000 posts to 100,000 posts in one week?!