• 73 results
Avatar image for spideyivydaredevilfan26
SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 41

Personally, my favorite monsters are werewolves for a multitude of reasons. I love their appearence, I love how there is a tortured soul behind that bestial exterior, and I love how they represent the beast within. However, my second favorite monster behind werewolves are mummies. I don't mean Stephen Sommers Mummy movies, those are garbage. I'm talking about horror movies about mummies. We have movies about vampires, which I think are okay at best, and movies about zombies, which flunk way more often than they make the mark. Don't get me wrong, I love (REC) and I love Bram Stoker's Dracula, but I always found that mummies would make for a far scarier movie. Besides, for every Bram Stoker's Dracula and (REC) there are seven 30 Days of Night or Resident Evil. There's that essence of mystery because of how old they are, the fear of the dark and twisted forces behind these beasts, and the fact that NOTHING can stop it. Mummies are uncompromising death threats. So why aren't there more horror movies about these things? Lord knows that I'd LOVE to see a mummy found footage horror, like (REC) or Blair Witch Project, and I am jumping in anticipation over the found footage movie Wer (A werewolf movie, directed by one of my least favorite directors William Brent Bell...Suppose this is his last chance) but that will only half satisfy me.

So...Why aren't there more movies about Mummies?

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Mummies?? Really?? I have always thought there weren't really any mummy movies because they were kind of lame.......they are just dead guys wrapped in bandages. Zombies essentially

Xanni15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 2

They're not much of a threat.

SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xanni15 said:

They're not much of a threat.

Really? Haven't you seen any of those vintage Universal movies? Anybody who pisses them off in any way, even if it's accidental, could get eaten, strangled or beaten to death by a mummy. Honestly, they're probably more dangerous than vampires because they're more pissed off and angry, on a mission, and can't be convinced to stop, and more dangerous than zombies because they are smarter and can't be killed just by destroying their brain (They have no brain). So how isn't that threatening?

amutant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -2

All in development mummy movies are being kept under wraps.

Xanni15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spideyivydaredevilfan26: Yes, ut technology and monsters have evolved. What's stopping someone from lighting them on fire? More people than ever smoke, they carry around lighters. Mummy's also seemed to be slower, weaker, etc.

I'd love to see more of them, personally, I enjoy movies with Egyptian stuff in them. :D

Tacos_Kickass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

More lame version of zombies.

SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mummies?? Really?? I have always thought there weren't really any mummy movies because they were kind of lame.......they are just dead guys wrapped in bandages. Zombies essentially

Not at all. Unlike zombies, they have a reason for their destruction other than food, and unlike zombies, they can't be killed by destroying the brain

SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xanni15 said:

@spideyivydaredevilfan26: Yes, ut technology and monsters have evolved. What's stopping someone from lighting them on fire? More people than ever smoke, they carry around lighters. Mummy's also seemed to be slower, weaker, etc.

I'd love to see more of them, personally, I enjoy movies with Egyptian stuff in them. :D

I don't know, they're pretty strong. Most of the time in film they end up beating people to death or strangling them, which requires more strength.

Xanni15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spideyivydaredevilfan26: Fair point. It's open, but maybe the general public is looking for something more supernatural and new.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By cattlebattle

@cattlebattle said:

Not at all. Unlike zombies, they have a reason for their destruction other than food, and unlike zombies, they can't be killed by destroying the brain

True, although they usually do have plot devised way of killing them, or you could just burn them or lob off their head.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I'm glad they aren't in more movies or we would be seeing sparkling mummies or sexy mummies and other stupid things more popular monsters are subjected to.

SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@farkam said:

I'm glad they aren't in more movies or we would be seeing sparkling mummies or sexy mummies and other stupid things more popular monsters are subjected to.

Say what you want about Twilight, it's all probably true...But at least it's not 30 Days of Night or From Dusk Till Dawn.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@farkam said:

Say what you want about Twilight, it's all probably true...But at least it's not 30 Days of Night or From Dusk Till Dawn.

I never saw 30 days of night and as far as I remember it got pretty good reviews.

ARMIV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think, and this is just me, that mummies might just be harder to pull off and work with. They've found different ways to go at zombies and vampires, from way that are grounded in science to ways that are rooted in the supernatural. Mummies are just straight up supernatural threats, and thus they aren't as malleable. It's not just that a mummy is an animated corpse that is up and about trying to kill people (you could wrap up a zombie and get that), but it is also that the mummy is up and trying to kill people for a reason. Zombies need to feed, sure, but when a mummy is up and about, its sole purpose is to rectify some sort of wrong done to either it or the one who it "belongs" to. Though not impossible I'm sure, it just seems that it would be harder for most people to try and translate that aspect of the creature's character into other ways without loosing any of what makes the mummy a mummy.

SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@farkam said:

@spideyivydaredevilfan26 said:

@farkam said:

I never saw 30 days of night and as far as I remember it got pretty good reviews.

It got okay reviews, about the same as Twilight. But by God, that movie is to vampires was Batman & Robin was to...Well, Batman and Robin.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@farkam said:

@farkam said:

It got okay reviews, about the same as Twilight. But by God, that movie is to vampires was Batman & Robin was to...Well, Batman and Robin.

Haha. Alright, I'll take your word for it I suppose.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@amutant said:

/thread lmao!

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

More mummy movies? I think the mummy's took a step backwards after brendon Frazier

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would not mine seeing the Creature from Black Lagoon make a return...

Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Totally agree... as long as they don't CG it to death.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Agreed.

More mummy movies? I think the mummy's took a step backwards after brendon Frazier

How so?

ARMIV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@king_saturn said:

Totally agree... as long as they don't CG it to death.

Get Legacy Effects on that!

Hazlenaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 11

Do you mean saturated fame it is possible but you won’t like it. I am afraid to answer how easily it can be done.

charlieboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

I liked the Mummy series of movies.. It was great fun. It wasn't particularly scary but I enjoyed all three of them.

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Zombies essentially

Not really. Make them characters instead of plot devices and they would be like the generic no-name vampires (who are actually similar to zombies themselves). Imhotep (Mummy 1 & 2) and Belphegor (Phantom of the Louvre) have transcended beyond the zombie stereotype...

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By cattlebattle

Not really. Make them characters instead of plot devices and they would be like the generic no-name vampires (who are actually similar to zombies themselves). Imhotep (Mummy 1 & 2) and Belphegor (Phantom of the Louvre) have transcended beyond the zombie stereotype...

True, but they had superpowers....more like super villains. He is speaking of the traditional wrapped up mummy like in the Lon Chaney Jr. films.

trebean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cattlebattle said:

Well they're more mystic than scientific. Since their method of reawakening is mostly because of their cursed tomb or pyramid.

Also, unlike zombies who depend on transferring the virus to another host to multiply and devour. Mummies always come in with their resurrected dead army and their a huge array of curses, plague of locust and scarabs. That sort of thing.

But I think it's for the better that there aren't many Mummy films now, else they might get bit by the teen romance bug from the likes of Twilight/Warmblood. But then again, half of the Mummy movies I saw is about the Mummy looking for their loved one's look alike/descendant and capturing them, but without the actual romance.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

#29  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@cattlebattle said:

True, although they usually do have plot devised way of killing them, or you could just burn them or lob off their head.

The same could be said for any zombie, Vampire or hell even a Werewolf. A Mummie isn't like a zombie because it has intelligence and cause and it's also an it isn't like a vampire because it's not a slave to it's hunger it's also an enchanted being and you could do a hell of a lot of Lovecraftian things with that.

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for supremehyperion
SupremeHyperion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

The thing with mummy movies ( if you look at the old ones atleast) the Mummy is first made up of wraps and sand and decaying flesh. it would be hard to make an old style mummy movie in present times where military or someone with firepower wouldn't just mow them down. of all the monsters of the past, the mummies have been over taken by zombies as the slow moving man-like monster.

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

True, but they had superpowers....more like super villains. He is speaking of the traditional wrapped up mummy like in the Lon Chaney Jr. films.

You have a point there.

Samimista

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

#32  Edited By Samimista

@amutant said:

Lol! I sees what you did! =D xD

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 the_stegman  Moderator

Zombies>>>mummies

SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Totally agree. Universal did well with The Wolfman remake, so I think they could make a really great Creature from the Black Lagoon as long as they don't go with the action/comedy road they went with for The Mummy movies or *gulp* Van Helsing.

SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The thing with mummy movies ( if you look at the old ones atleast) the Mummy is first made up of wraps and sand and decaying flesh. it would be hard to make an old style mummy movie in present times where military or someone with firepower wouldn't just mow them down. of all the monsters of the past, the mummies have been over taken by zombies as the slow moving man-like monster.

They could make a found footage style movie, where some teens have a party at an old mansion that belonged to an evil Egyptian cultist or something, and awaken a scary ass mummy. That way we wouldn't have to involve the military, and we could have a pretty scary premise.

Nordok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Nordok  Moderator

@amutant said:

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

They're essentially magical zombies, and you can only do so much with them.

deadpoolrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#38  Edited By deadpoolrules
dngn4774

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

@spideyivydaredevilfan26: I personally think that they never got they're own filmmaker who made them cool yet. Zombies have Kirkman & Romero, Vampires had Bram Stoker, Werewolves were a cult hit from conception, but mummies fade out because they haven't been successfully modernized unless you count the Brendan Frazer movies from the late 90's which I wouldn't (I think witches have this same problem too). My solution would be to make them less traditional, loose the bandages and give them a zombie-like texture, make them mentally superior like vampires, and give them magical powers. They shouldn't be a villain in a kid's movie they should be super scary.

Avatar image for betatesthighlander1
Betatesthighlander1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for mrdecepticonleader
mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Betatesthighlander1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@betatesthighlander1: That's one example. Zombie films have being a big hit and many, many times without sex appeal in fact there is very little sex appeal to them. Resident Evil films I guess you could say that but Id say that has more to do with the fact they have the Resident Evil brand on them instead.

Betatesthighlander1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrdecepticonleader: I think teh Dawn of the dead remake kinds brought zombies back; made them popular again

if we get a really good/profitable mummy film we might get a whole slew of 'em

mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I do think that it might have to do with the fact that Zombie movies maybe have overtaken the Mummy films and rightfully so perhaps since there are alot of great zombie films out there and there are alot of interesting concepts behind the sub genre.

Who know they might come out with a new film involving a Mummy maybe a remake of an older film because they do seem to have a knack for remaking films horror films in particular so maybe its in with a good chance.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Betatesthighlander1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@farkam said:

@betatesthighlander1 said:

@spideyivydaredevilfan26: mummies have no sex appeal

Mummies could be made to have sex appeal.

no one has done that yet (in a relevant/profitable way)

I do think that it might have to do with the fact that Zombie movies maybe have overtaken the Mummy films and rightfully so perhaps since there are alot of great zombie films out there and there are alot of interesting concepts behind the sub genre.

Who know they might come out with a new film involving a Mummy maybe a remake of an older film because they do seem to have a knack for remaking films horror films in particular so maybe its in with a good chance.

hmmm

mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrdecepticonleader: I think teh Dawn of the dead remake kinds brought zombies back; made them popular again

if we get a really good/profitable mummy film we might get a whole slew of 'em

Regarding Mummy films I said a similar thing above.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@farkam said:

@betatesthighlander1 said:

@spideyivydaredevilfan26: mummies have no sex appeal

Mummies could be made to have sex appeal.

no one has done that yet (in a relevant/profitable way)

@mrdecepticonleader said:

hmmm

So what? The point is that they could. : - )

mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers