• 69 results
#1 Posted by x_29 (2272 posts) - - Show Bio

This is old, but Adam Carolla stated that he thinks dudes are more funny than chicks. Do you believe for the most part that is true?

#2 Posted by Strafe Prower (11573 posts) - - Show Bio

Not really. I think there are funny women comedians.

#3 Posted by Vance Astro (90727 posts) - - Show Bio

It's definitely true. There are more great male comedians than female.

#4 Posted by coolguyr99 (3018 posts) - - Show Bio

I have yet to find a female comedians I find funny.

#5 Posted by Vance Astro (90727 posts) - - Show Bio
@coolguyr99 said:

Try Iliza Shlesinger 

#6 Posted by Mr_Winchester (638 posts) - - Show Bio

Someone I know brought up the same topic. I believe he thought the general consensus to be "Boobs aren't funny!"....sigh

#7 Posted by coolguyr99 (3018 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro: Still not doing it for me but thanks for the recommendation.

#8 Posted by Shotgun (900 posts) - - Show Bio

Ellen DeGeneres is horrible.

#9 Posted by x_29 (2272 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro said:

@coolguyr99 said:

Try Iliza Shlesinger

that was kinda meh, though thanks for the recommendation.

#10 Posted by Inverno (12830 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro said:

It's definitely true. There are more great male comedians than female.
#11 Edited by Thirteen13 (415 posts) - - Show Bio

The number of women I actually find funny I could count on one hand, with a few fingers to spare.

#12 Posted by Red_Jack (285 posts) - - Show Bio

Women can definitely be funny. Funnier than men at times. Mind you, in typical fashion all I thought of when googling iliza shlesinger was "wow, she's a comedian and she's that hot?"

I've found a woman on youtue I find very very funny. Here she is: -

http://www.youtube.com/user/JennaMarbles

#13 Posted by YoungJustice (6371 posts) - - Show Bio

One Name: Mo'Nique

#14 Posted by TheWitchingHour (1340 posts) - - Show Bio

@coolguyr99 said:

this, and very diplomatic of you by the way.

#15 Posted by Liara (421 posts) - - Show Bio

@coolguyr99 said:

Couldn't have said it better myself.

#16 Posted by daak1212 (7840 posts) - - Show Bio

Cause I don't wanna hear about your misadventures of your vagina and crazy boyfriend stories are psychotic at best.

#17 Posted by Vance Astro (90727 posts) - - Show Bio
@x_29 said:

That's just a short clip. If you saw her entire stand-up you might change your mind.
#18 Posted by GalacticPunt (77 posts) - - Show Bio

@Liara said:

@coolguyr99 said:

Considering that the sentence is grammatically incorrect, it would be VERY easy to say it better. Just saying.

Christopher Hitchens on "Why Women Aren't Funny" http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/features/2007/01/hitchens200701

#19 Posted by Living_Monstrosity (422 posts) - - Show Bio

Just like men are unable to give birth, women are unable to be funny because they don't have an area in the brain for understanding humor.

It's just science.

#20 Posted by The Stegman (20734 posts) - - Show Bio

@Liara:

@coolguyr99 said:

This, I've really tried to give female comics a chance, but out of all the ones I've seen, none have gotten me to do more than chuckle, matter of fact, most try too hard and are annoying...I'm looking at you Sarah Silverman.

#21 Posted by Death Certificate (5438 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Stegman said:

@Liara:

@coolguyr99 said:

This, I've really tried to give female comics a chance, but out of all the ones I've seen, none have gotten me to do more than chuckle, matter of fact, most try too hard and are annoying...I'm looking at you Sarah Silverman.

Good God, that girl is a textbook definition of a unfunny comedian.

#22 Posted by JohnnyWalker (821 posts) - - Show Bio

female comedians arent funny. name 5 female comedians. you cant. you have to google it. for anybody that wants to LHAO utube dave chappel.

#23 Posted by Living_Monstrosity (422 posts) - - Show Bio

Worst female comedian ever that is somehow famous is Margaret Cho.

#24 Posted by cattlebattle (12275 posts) - - Show Bio

Its a comedians material....women mostly just talk about men and their bad dates, it gets redundant.

I find Kathleen Madigan to be quite funny, she was however mentored by the legendary Lewis Black

#25 Posted by cyberninja (10413 posts) - - Show Bio

Betty White is without doubt right up there with the Gods of comedy like George Carlin and Richard Pryor.

#26 Posted by Vance Astro (90727 posts) - - Show Bio
@cyberninja said:
Betty White is without doubt right up there with the Gods of comedy like George Carlin and Richard Pryor.
Ellen Degeneres>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Betty White.
#27 Posted by Billy Batson (56913 posts) - - Show Bio

Hah! Ellen Degeneres sucks
BB

#28 Posted by Xanni15 (6752 posts) - - Show Bio

Because it's a male dominated industry. Plenty of funny female comedians out there that don't get recognized, or maybe they go into movies.

#29 Posted by Vance Astro (90727 posts) - - Show Bio
@Billy Batson said:

Hah! Ellen Degeneres sucks
BB

My point exactly.
#30 Posted by cyberninja (10413 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vance Astro said:
@cyberninja said:
Ellen Degeneres>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Betty White.
Get your ass back in troll academy cause you suck.....oh wait....you're mod, please forgive me your sire, I did not mean any disrespect. 
#31 Posted by laflux (11055 posts) - - Show Bio

@Xanni15 said:

Because it's a male dominated industry. Plenty of funny female comedians out there that don't get recognized, or maybe they go into movies.

#32 Posted by Vance Astro (90727 posts) - - Show Bio
@cyberninja said:
Get your ass back in troll academy cause you suck.....oh wait....you're mod, please forgive me your sire, I did not mean any disrespect. 
I wasn't trolling though. I was being serious. Betty White isn't funny. 

@laflux said:

@Xanni15 said:

I don't believe this is true.
#33 Posted by Xanni15 (6752 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro said:

@Xanni15 said:

I don't believe this is true.

Well, it's just my opinion. Comedy is completely subjective, maybe you just haven't heard the right female comedians yet. For the life of me I can't understand why Dane Cook is such a big draw but people love him.

#34 Posted by cyberninja (10413 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vance Astro:  It's all about preference I guess, some like Dave Chappelle and some like Carrot Top, so I believe you and I'm not surprised. 
#35 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

Because most of them aren't funny... All the memorable ones are guys, and even their worst material is funnier than what some of the women comedians bring to the table. God I hate Lisa Lamponelli. I hate her so much.

#36 Edited by Vance Astro (90727 posts) - - Show Bio
@Xanni15 said:

Well, it's just my opinion. Comedy is completely subjective, maybe you just haven't heard the right female comedians yet. For the life of me I can't understand why Dane Cook is such a big draw but people love him.

There are female comedians that are funny. What I disagreed with is the idea that they don't get recognized because they are in an industry dominated by males. 

@cyberninja said:

@Vance Astro:  It's all about preference I guess, some like Dave Chappelle and some like Carrot Top, so I believe you and I'm not surprised. 

True, but I don't think I Carrot Top fan would compare him to greats like Carlin or Pryor. Their careers speak for themselves. 
#37 Posted by k4tzm4n (35208 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought Amy Schumer's recent special on Comedy Central was really good.

Staff
#38 Posted by x_29 (2272 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Stegman said:

@Liara:

@coolguyr99 said:

Chelsea Handler as well.

#39 Posted by cyberninja (10413 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vance Astro: Well I wouldn't know anything about Carrot Top fans so I will take your word for it. 
#40 Posted by LordMaverick (5187 posts) - - Show Bio

@Liara said:

@coolguyr99 said:

#41 Posted by Xanni15 (6752 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro said:

@Xanni15 said:

There are female comedians that are funny. What I disagreed with is the idea that they don't get recognized because they are in an industry dominated by males.

Why do you disagree with it? I'm sure talent plays a part in a lot of the top comedians being thought of as the best. I would imagine there are more male comedians. As one poster commented, it's difficult for a regular person to name very many female comedians period.

#42 Posted by CapFanboy (4497 posts) - - Show Bio

@coolguyr99 said:

@x_29 said:

@Vance Astro said:

@coolguyr99 said:

Try Iliza Shlesinger

Try...

#43 Posted by CapFanboy (4497 posts) - - Show Bio

@JohnnyWalker said:

female comedians arent funny. name 5 female comedians. you cant. you have to google it. for anybody that wants to LHAO utube dave chappel.

Maria Bamford - Melissa Villasenor - Jo Caulfield - Jen Kirkman - Natasha Leggero.

Done.

Also, Chappelle rules, favourite comedian.

#44 Posted by pooty (10315 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n said:

She is funny compared to other women. but she would just be an opening act for most men comics. and something about her is sexy as Hell! maybe it's her humor........ or her thighs.

#45 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29330 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n said:

She was hilarious on the Rosanne roast.

#46 Posted by x_29 (2272 posts) - - Show Bio

@CapFanboy said:

@coolguyr99 said:

@x_29 said:

@Vance Astro said:

@coolguyr99 said:

Try Iliza Shlesinger

Try...

Didn't even chuckle.

#47 Posted by JohnnyWalker (821 posts) - - Show Bio

@x_29: you are not alone. i spent the whole time wondering how this weak ass crap got a slot.

#48 Posted by The_Tree (6407 posts) - - Show Bio

Like one user stated earlier, a lot of female comedians come off as trying too hard, or are annoying. For me, they're very hit or miss, but I do have a select few that I really enjoy including Natasha Leggero, Rachel Feinstein, Whitney Cummings, and Tig Notaro.

#49 Posted by Vance Astro (90727 posts) - - Show Bio
@Xanni15 said:

Why do you disagree with it? I'm sure talent plays a part in a lot of the top comedians being thought of as the best. I would imagine there are more male comedians. As one poster commented, it's difficult for a regular person to name very many female comedians period.

I don't think many female comedians represent what is generally accepted as funny, I don't think it's because of an industry bias. Female comedians that have built fanbases are getting work. Just because nobody on CV can name a female comedian, they believe is funny doesn't mean that there aren't any getting some recognition.
#50 Posted by Vance Astro (90727 posts) - - Show Bio
@The_Tree said:

For me, they're very hit or miss, but I do have a select few that I really enjoy including Natasha Leggero, Rachel Feinstein, Whitney Cummings, and Tig Notaro.

The ones highlighted, I agree with you on.